• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:11
CEST 13:11
KST 20:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6923 users

Starcraft 2 Science: Skillcraft's Study - Page 8

Forum Index > SC2 General
261 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 14 Next All
worldjr
Profile Joined November 2010
United States2 Posts
September 12 2011 20:18 GMT
#141
10/10 i been preaching about this. Now i have a link.
"I won't just be a memory"
AliceChild
Profile Joined April 2010
Chile26 Posts
September 12 2011 20:33 GMT
#142
Excellent read. Looking forward to an update.
Yippie Kai Yay
CrushDog5
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada207 Posts
September 12 2011 20:36 GMT
#143
On September 12 2011 17:05 Thorzain wrote:
Completed the survey. Excited about the results!


Hey Thorzain, it would be a big help if you could encourage other progamers you know to participate. An expertise study is only as good as its experts.
SkillCraft.com - StarCraft + Science
NemesysTV
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States1088 Posts
September 12 2011 20:50 GMT
#144
Aw u gotta be 16+ T_T
sc14s
Profile Joined March 2011
United States5052 Posts
September 12 2011 21:07 GMT
#145
awesome. I've always bragged being big into gaming has helped me in RL to some extent (esp my reaction time/hand-eye coordination from mucho FPS gaming and strategy has helped my multitasking) +1 for science! (and sc2 )
Wout
Profile Joined April 2011
Netherlands76 Posts
September 12 2011 21:18 GMT
#146
Submitted, good luck with the study. I'm looking forward to the results!
infinitum
Profile Joined April 2011
United States83 Posts
September 12 2011 21:20 GMT
#147
I have to say, the reason that parents limit the amount of time kids can play video games is because if they didn't, video games would supplant a lot of other extremely useful activity, like reading (which would be an unlikely thing to happen with piano). I know that was the case for me, and I am so glad that my parents limited my gaming time when I was a kid, because I would have played during all that time that I actually spent reading, and all that reading made me smart and educated.
Everything you know was forged from the remnants of a supernova.
price
Profile Joined December 2010
United States297 Posts
September 12 2011 21:45 GMT
#148
i hope you have a good way to filter out people who are in a certain league and probably should not be. perhaps controlling for game number gets rid of a lot of the noise there i guess if you use some sort of HMM (hidden markov modeling), you could probably predict these players by their significantly different replay style or even give a better rubric for determining MMR.

sounds very interesting!
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
ishyishy
Profile Joined February 2011
United States826 Posts
September 12 2011 21:56 GMT
#149
Yet where do you think the design of these simulators come from (e.g., air traffic controll, flight simulators)? They in partcome from studies such as this one; they are in part designed by experts on research in the field of expertise acquisition. The design of the simulation at your police academy or at the military training facility could very well be based on research done in different domains (e.g., chess, but now also SC2). Its the way it works


Simulators are first person.

I would love for you to read the research by De Groot and Chase and Simon as an example on what such research exactly entails and what implications and consequences there can be. For example, research on chess expertise has provided unique insights into our the way our memory functions and on expertise acquisition and development.


Ok so people have already done this research then? Using chess or w/e other game? Why does it need to be done again if they are going to come up with the same results? Waste of time and money.

Again, there is no arguement for using sc2 over a real-time simulation. It's a joke. Anyone that isnt a sc2 super fanboy can clearly see this.
CrushDog5
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada207 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-12 22:03:02
September 12 2011 22:00 GMT
#150
On September 13 2011 06:20 infinitum wrote:
I have to say, the reason that parents limit the amount of time kids can play video games is because if they didn't, video games would supplant a lot of other extremely useful activity, like reading (which would be an unlikely thing to happen with piano). I know that was the case for me, and I am so glad that my parents limited my gaming time when I was a kid, because I would have played during all that time that I actually spent reading, and all that reading made me smart and educated.


For some kids, that's probably true, and I certainly agree that parents need to take responsibility to making sure their kids are properly educated. I am a university professor who specializes in learning, after all.

But, I would argue that playing good games (games that exercise a variety of cognitive capacities) are excellent ways for a someone to spend time, and I see no reason that we should prefer a child to read Harry Potter six times, charming though it was, to making Silver as Random.

A healthy dose of games could have taught you something, too.



SkillCraft.com - StarCraft + Science
Nagu
Profile Joined November 2010
United States13 Posts
September 12 2011 22:06 GMT
#151
So awesome. I can't wait to see what kind of results you get from this.
SgtPepper
Profile Joined November 2010
United States568 Posts
September 12 2011 22:10 GMT
#152
Wow, this is pretty amazing. I hope you guys get a lot of participation and support. Help legitimize esports! :D
"After I reconquer Ba Sing Se, I'm going to reconquer my tea shop! And I'm going to play Pai Sho every day."
AcrossFiveJulys
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
United States3612 Posts
September 12 2011 22:15 GMT
#153
I did the survey; I hope to see some interesting results soon!
green.at
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Austria1459 Posts
September 12 2011 22:20 GMT
#154
cant wait to see some results
Inputting special characters into chat should no longer cause the game to crash.
Ygz
Profile Joined June 2010
England370 Posts
September 12 2011 22:22 GMT
#155
This is fantastic news. Can't wait to read more.
Everything Newton said.
Vul
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States685 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-12 22:35:48
September 12 2011 22:30 GMT
#156
On September 13 2011 07:00 CrushDog5 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 13 2011 06:20 infinitum wrote:
I have to say, the reason that parents limit the amount of time kids can play video games is because if they didn't, video games would supplant a lot of other extremely useful activity, like reading (which would be an unlikely thing to happen with piano). I know that was the case for me, and I am so glad that my parents limited my gaming time when I was a kid, because I would have played during all that time that I actually spent reading, and all that reading made me smart and educated.


For some kids, that's probably true, and I certainly agree that parents need to take responsibility to making sure their kids are properly educated. I am a university professor who specializes in learning, after all.

But, I would argue that playing good games (games that exercise a variety of cognitive capacities) are excellent ways for a someone to spend time, and I see no reason that we should prefer a child to read Harry Potter six times, charming though it was, to making Silver as Random.

A healthy dose of games could have taught you something, too.




It's hard to say what's better or worse IMO. I think its obvious that, say, reading, playing sports and playing SC2 are all good for kids, but it's hard to know the right amounts. For example, maybe playing SC2 is better than the sixth reading of Harry Potter, but what about the first, or second reading? Will someone get more out of being competitive at an SC2 tournament, or a tennis tournament?

In my opinion SC2 isn't outright better than any of those things, but it would be a cool way to spend your free time as a kid.

edit: kids have a lot of free time though, haha
BlackTactiks
Profile Joined May 2011
United States52 Posts
September 12 2011 22:31 GMT
#157
This is Epic lol...
Working Towards Greatness :)
neocron
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom505 Posts
September 12 2011 22:47 GMT
#158
This is cool, I will submit all my replays :D
CrushDog5
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada207 Posts
September 12 2011 22:51 GMT
#159
[B]On September 13 2011 07:30 Vul wrote:[/B

It's hard to say what's better or worse IMO. I think its obvious that, say, reading, playing sports and playing SC2 are all good for kids, but it's hard to know the right amounts. For example, maybe playing SC2 is better than the sixth reading of Harry Potter, but what about the first, or second reading? Will someone get more out of being competitive at an SC2 tournament, or a tennis tournament?

In my opinion SC2 isn't outright better than any of those things, but it would be a cool way to spend your free time as a kid.

edit: kids have a lot of free time though, haha



It's the mix that matters, as you say.

My point is that every parent I know would have no problem forcing their kids to go run around outside, or practice piano, or read a book, but none of them would insist that their children play a video game.
SkillCraft.com - StarCraft + Science
Chicks
Profile Joined October 2010
Ireland63 Posts
September 12 2011 22:55 GMT
#160
This sounds great, really interesting. My kids will be playing Starcraft instead of piano I'll participate, for science (and starcraft)! I'll do my best to spread the word.
I stream here - http://www.twitch.tv/chickstv
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 478
WardiTV169
Rex85
Liquipedia
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 3
Soma vs JaedongLIVE!
Afreeca ASL 17833
StarCastTV_EN410
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko321
mouzHeroMarine 317
ProTech132
Rex 85
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 12758
EffOrt 6429
BeSt 1898
ZerO 1296
Horang2 921
Hyuk 916
Larva 841
Hyun 290
Zeus 279
Stork 211
[ Show more ]
Light 205
Killer 199
Barracks 124
Rush 92
Mini 64
Yoon 60
ToSsGirL 42
ggaemo 37
Shinee 36
Bale 29
Terrorterran 22
PianO 22
Mong 22
Sacsri 21
sorry 12
ajuk12(nOOB) 11
Noble 8
HiyA 8
Dota 2
Dendi685
League of Legends
KnowMe41
Counter-Strike
byalli741
x6flipin90
Other Games
singsing1927
olofmeister1510
XaKoH 529
crisheroes257
Sick184
Pyrionflax140
ArmadaUGS43
Mew2King43
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream427
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 242
lovetv 9
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH290
• StrangeGG 28
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1775
Other Games
• WagamamaTV193
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
4h 49m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
22h 49m
Afreeca Starleague
22h 49m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 12h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 23h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.