• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:42
CEST 12:42
KST 19:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War445.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9365 users

Why doesn't Blizzard support SC2 more? - Page 17

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 Next All
andrewlt
Profile Joined August 2009
United States7702 Posts
August 19 2011 17:02 GMT
#321
On August 20 2011 01:54 Ysellian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 20 2011 01:46 cory1234 wrote:
Obviously there is a problem when a FREE game is getting 3 to 4 times the number of viewers and larger prize pools at EVERY major tournament where SC2 and LoL is present.

Here's a fact. Blizzard made $1.1 billion in digital revenue in the second quarter of 2011.That is just one quarter! Where is all this money going? Why is a Riot games, a puny company in revenue and size, completely dominating the tournament viewers and prize pools?

Blizzard needs to make Grandmasters into a real league with a real prize pool. I'm starting to think that Blizzard doesn't really care about the community.


SC2 doesn't generate $1.1 billion in revenue. You can't just use money which is generated from a different department on funding something with questionable returns.

Furthermore increasing prize money is such a cosmetic way of "promoting" stuff, rather it's the small things like providing streams which would help much more.



Bingo. There's really no indicator that Riot's investment in prize money is going to pay off. And companies that made money elsewhere are under no obligation to lose some of that money by making investments with questionable returns.
windsupernova
Profile Joined October 2010
Mexico5280 Posts
August 19 2011 17:07 GMT
#322
On August 20 2011 01:58 tyCe wrote:
So much misinformation in this thread when it's quite obvious that the popularity of the LoL esport scene is primarily due to its playerbase. There's not much that Blizzard can do to make SC2 a more popular esport without expanding its playing fanbase. For instance, even if cycling suddenly got a huge prize pool, football (not handegg) will still beat it in popularity 100% because it is so accessible to people to play and is likewise incredibly popular. LoL is a more accessible game and has lower graphics requirements, and due to a host of other reasons, is a far more popular game than SC2. While it may subjectively not be as exciting as SC2, that doesn't matter when significantly fewer people care about SC2 anyway.

Having said that, Blizzard can still increase the exposure of the SC2 esports scene in some ways. Providing a link to the stream and actively advertising upcoming and recent tournaments through its media outlets will certainly draw a lot of people in. However, at the end of the day, I think it is very unrealistic to expect 200k concurrent viewers for major events as there are simply not that many people who care enough to watch them.


I can pretty much agree with this. Throwing more money just won´t magically make the game more appealing to the people who don´t follow SC2.Could Blizzard do more? Yeah but really we are not seeing the whole picture here.

And LOL @ all the people blaming Activision, Vivendi owns the 2 companies.
"Its easy, just trust your CPU".-Boxer on being good at games
Mortecian
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada87 Posts
August 19 2011 18:38 GMT
#323
While it's true that the English E-Sport has really exploded, as nearly all events have english shoutcasters, it isn't true for many other countries. Some events have other shoutcasters, but it is rare still...

LoL, Dota 2 have official chinese shoutcasters, and in many other languages. This could -easily- explain the discrepancy in numbers rather than everything you propose making your observation flawed unless this is considered into account. While it's likely intuitively TRUE that everything you suggested would be good for the E-Sport scene, I doubt it would have that massive of an effect as you argue. There are other variables at play here.
Zuxo
Profile Joined April 2010
Sweden395 Posts
August 19 2011 20:40 GMT
#324
Don't you mean promote instead of support?
I'm a mother******* lyrical wordsmith, mother******* genius
gulati
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States2241 Posts
August 19 2011 20:44 GMT
#325
I think you forget that Blizzard = Activision Blizzard; they own MANY, MANY brand names. Starcraft 2 is next-to-nothing for them. World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, etc., those series make them the big bucks. Those are the ones that get the serious global attention. Starcraft 2 is big, but it's not a cash-cow for Blizzard. They don't have subscription-based membership, they don't have multi-platform releases, they don't have DLC, etc.

Long story short: they don't need to market or support SC2, because doing so will make them lose money. It's all about big business.

Valid and good arguments though.
C r u m b l i n g
Zeroxk
Profile Joined October 2010
Norway1244 Posts
August 19 2011 21:01 GMT
#326
Seriously when will people learn that Activision has NO influence on Blizzard, VIVENDI GAMES was the parent company of Blizzard and Vivendi SA owns the majority shares in Activision Blizzard.

The Vivendi CEO must be pretty happy that everything negative gets blamed on Activision
Ixirawr
Profile Joined May 2011
United States86 Posts
August 20 2011 02:35 GMT
#327
Blizz does mention SC2 going on's in it's Facebook feed every once in a while.
SoFool
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Malaysia96 Posts
August 20 2011 04:59 GMT
#328
Well...blizz does promote gsl in sc2 sea site.
Find Humanity ... Assimilate ... Learn ... Evolve.
Fanatic-Templar
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada5819 Posts
August 20 2011 06:27 GMT
#329
On August 20 2011 00:35 dizzy101 wrote:
TL, as a community, is too focused on pro-players and tournaments. How will you get new pro's when there's no influx of new players? When did you last see a new name rise up through the ranks in NA's pro SC2 scene? It's been a while...


The game's been out for a year and we've already seen significant rotation of players. I don't even know where CowGoMoo and the like are these days. I don't pay particular attention to the NA scene, but I'd never heard of Gostojiy before Blizzard invitational, for example.
I bear this sig to commemorate the loss of the team icon that commemorated Oversky's 2008-2009 Proleague Round 1 performance.
Mr. Elusive
Profile Joined May 2010
United States26 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-20 08:04:21
August 20 2011 08:01 GMT
#330
I didn't scroll through all 17 pages, so it might be here somewhere.. but Blizzard is all over Facebook with advertisements for tournaments and the like.
+ Show Spoiler +
The 2011 China Battle.net Invitational kicks off tonight in Shanghai! Tune in to watch as the top eight Chinese StarCraft II players and top four World of Warcraft Arena teams compete for prizes and glory in the gorgeous Shanghai M50 Creative Park.
2011 China Battle.net Invitational
us.battle.net
Have you been keeping up with all the exciting regional action leading up to the Global Battle.net Invitational? The 2011 China Battle.net Invitational kicks off tonight!

^ I copied that from the middle of a deluge of other personal comments, directly from my news feed.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, Blizzard could do so much more to advertise their pro scene.. However, I am thankful there aren't splash pages and/or ads all over starcraft telling me this. I don't like clutter, and just looking at the LoL client gives me a headache. I am content with the box blizzard puts on the mid/top right of my screen, just like I was ok with the banner they put on wc3 bnet.
kinger256
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada21 Posts
August 20 2011 08:16 GMT
#331
Blizzard pushing SC2 e-sports will only make the scene marginally better. 1.6 and BW, became what they were because of the community, not blizzard or valve pumping millions into them. Also i can't see prize money as an indicator of how well a scene is doing. It's an unreliable source of income for the players. The size of guaranteed contracts is a better way to gauge how well a scene is doing.
Jojo131
Profile Joined January 2011
Brazil1631 Posts
August 20 2011 09:38 GMT
#332
On August 20 2011 17:16 kinger256 wrote:
Blizzard pushing SC2 e-sports will only make the scene marginally better. 1.6 and BW, became what they were because of the community, not blizzard or valve pumping millions into them. Also i can't see prize money as an indicator of how well a scene is doing. It's an unreliable source of income for the players. The size of guaranteed contracts is a better way to gauge how well a scene is doing.



I'd say that it's not guaranteed contracts that determine a scene, but simply the number of constant spectators watching/playing the game. At the end of the day, SC2 could have the most number of sponsored teams for their scene, but if it has a 3rd or 4th of the viewer base of Dota2 or LoL, it wont take long for sponsors to pressure teams to close down branches of their team in order to cut costs after realizing that their money is better spent elsewhere. I'd imagine those are the signs of a bad scene.

I mean, there was WoW that didn't do so well as an eSport, but that was simply because PvE and PvP were two different games, with 99% of the population not caring much for Arena, I dont know why people never picked up on that...
NeonGenesis
Profile Joined September 2005
Norway260 Posts
August 20 2011 12:58 GMT
#333
StarCraft is very different from DotA games though. I feel like DotA games have bigger mass appeal because they are more easy to get in to, even though apparently they still have a pretty high skill ceiling. This causes those games to probably have a much greater base audience and larger player base. The microtransaction model these games support also seem to serve to fund these insane price pools, something I'm not sure I want in SC2.

Blizzard could do a better job at promoting tournaments though, though I have my suspicions that they are afraid to alienate the lower tier players by promoting cutthroat competative gaming. They tried to up the difficulty of content in WoW but went back on it because it alienated the majority of the players base who felt "locked out" of a lot of content, and maybe this causes them to be more cautious with SC2.
It's all good. I just want rainbows, unicorns and machine guns. -Sundance DiGiovanni
Pyskee
Profile Joined April 2011
United States620 Posts
August 24 2011 01:44 GMT
#334
On August 19 2011 03:12 Jerokar wrote:
Most people who watch tournaments and follow podcasts such as State of the Game or Weapon of Choice were introduced to the pro-scene through one of the following methods:

    * Youtube channels commentating Pro-games such as Huskystarcraft, HD, or Day[9]

    * Following the Starcraft 1 pro-scene

    * Hearing from a friend


To be fair, I learned about the GSL when I went to Blizzcon last year. I enjoyed Tastosis's casting so much (and the actual act of watching Starcraft too, I guess) that I made a note in my phone to check out this newfangled "GOM TV" they kept talking about. Yeah, that's not David Kim telling me to go watch the GSL, but it was Blizzard that decided to get Tasteless and Artosis and allow them to plug their show.

I do kind of agree on everything else though. Compared to the game developers you mentioned, they do seem to be doing a lackluster job in promoting SC2. I wonder what Bungie is doing for Halo and Treyarch is doing for Black Ops, if anything.
"If you really don't give a shit what brand you chew, chew Stride." - Liquid'Tyler. Gives shoutouts like a boss.
Bread779
Profile Joined October 2010
United States27 Posts
August 24 2011 02:07 GMT
#335
On August 20 2011 17:01 Mr. Elusive wrote:
I didn't scroll through all 17 pages, so it might be here somewhere.. but Blizzard is all over Facebook with advertisements for tournaments and the like.
+ Show Spoiler +
The 2011 China Battle.net Invitational kicks off tonight in Shanghai! Tune in to watch as the top eight Chinese StarCraft II players and top four World of Warcraft Arena teams compete for prizes and glory in the gorgeous Shanghai M50 Creative Park.
2011 China Battle.net Invitational
us.battle.net
Have you been keeping up with all the exciting regional action leading up to the Global Battle.net Invitational? The 2011 China Battle.net Invitational kicks off tonight!

^ I copied that from the middle of a deluge of other personal comments, directly from my news feed.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, Blizzard could do so much more to advertise their pro scene.. However, I am thankful there aren't splash pages and/or ads all over starcraft telling me this. I don't like clutter, and just looking at the LoL client gives me a headache. I am content with the box blizzard puts on the mid/top right of my screen, just like I was ok with the banner they put on wc3 bnet.


If you go to the official Starcraft 2 portal on battle.net it shows the same type of information about the tournaments like when it's happening, who is playing, etc. Hell, I just logged into SC2 and the first thing I see is a story about MLG Raleigh being almost here on the news and community side along with the B.NET invitational. So I assume the OP is complaining about the tournaments not being "in your face" enough and with this I'm going to have to disagree with the OP.
TortoiseCa
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada104 Posts
August 24 2011 03:18 GMT
#336
I think it makes sense that blizzard promote their game but from what I understand, they're already sponsoring the GSL - which I assume means paying for it. I also wouldn't be surprised if they are secretly funding other events like the NASL - but it probably looks better when it's not a developer paying people to play their games.
VirgilSC2
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States6151 Posts
August 24 2011 06:09 GMT
#337
On August 24 2011 12:18 TortoiseCa wrote:
I think it makes sense that blizzard promote their game but from what I understand, they're already sponsoring the GSL - which I assume means paying for it. I also wouldn't be surprised if they are secretly funding other events like the NASL - but it probably looks better when it's not a developer paying people to play their games.

This right here.

I think it looks very unprofessional for EVERY LoL tournament to be sponsored by Riot.
Clarity Gaming #1 Fan | Avid MTG Grinder | @VirgilSC2
Eko200
Profile Joined December 2010
United States101 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-24 06:40:19
August 24 2011 06:33 GMT
#338
On August 24 2011 15:09 VirgilSC2 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 24 2011 12:18 TortoiseCa wrote:
I think it makes sense that blizzard promote their game but from what I understand, they're already sponsoring the GSL - which I assume means paying for it. I also wouldn't be surprised if they are secretly funding other events like the NASL - but it probably looks better when it's not a developer paying people to play their games.

This right here.

I think it looks very unprofessional for EVERY LoL tournament to be sponsored by Riot.


Unprofessional? Are you kidding me? SC2 pros are jealous of all that prize money and blizzard is jealous of valve for taking the first dive into moba genre. If that makes valve unprofessional then I guess Blizzard having cash auction houses in D3 is the lowest of the low.

Edit- Oh and I want to make another point, when DotA Allstars filled up the custom game list in W3TFT, and the majority of dota games were played via a channel matchmaking system, there were pleas for Blizzard to add support into their game for DotA through a patch and you know what their response was? They said most people who play War3 don't even play on B.net. I remember a similar response when fans asked for more closed b.net support on D2. Blizzard has been behind on game and community support before they even had to answer to Bobby Kotick. They are very shortsided if the only community they are willing to truly support is the one paying a monthly fee.
nearl
Profile Joined February 2011
United States22 Posts
August 24 2011 10:06 GMT
#339
Riot only has to worry about League of Legends, and can put money into the tournaments, as in the grand scheme they aren't as many as StarCraft 2 tournaments.

I would also argue that LoL is a more hardcore game and you will have core (follow streams, watch tournaments) players then StarCraft 2, where you have super casual players (just playing campaign and practice league or something)
paralleluniverse
Profile Joined July 2010
4065 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-24 10:33:30
August 24 2011 10:33 GMT
#340
It wouldn't make Blizzard broke to advertise the eSports scene on their own website and within the game client.

They don't even need to pay for the advertising space, it's their space.

Blizzard is doing an abysmal job promoting SC2 as a eSports.
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Big Brain Bouts
19:00
#129
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
RotterdaM549
IndyStarCraft 114
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 549
Lowko287
IndyStarCraft 114
MindelVK 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 5086
Stork 2167
Horang2 502
Jaedong 446
Soulkey 390
Larva 264
BeSt 259
Soma 245
Mini 242
Zeus 218
[ Show more ]
sorry 99
Mind 91
Last 85
Pusan 74
ZerO 71
Hyun 67
Sexy 47
Shinee 35
soO 35
scan(afreeca) 26
ajuk12(nOOB) 15
Sacsri 11
zelot 10
Dota 2
Gorgc1636
XcaliburYe245
canceldota60
League of Legends
JimRising 418
Counter-Strike
byalli356
Other Games
gofns35096
singsing2289
Coldzera 688
Happy457
Pyrionflax228
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV197
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 31
• StrangeGG 16
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV336
• lizZardDota2210
League of Legends
• Jankos3402
Upcoming Events
Online Event
1h 18m
AI Arena Tournament
6h 18m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
8h 18m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
23h 18m
Patches Events
1d 4h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.