• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:02
CEST 11:02
KST 18:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
mca64Launcher 2.0 Sagi.gg Launcher Released [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6691 users

Designated Balance Discussion Thread - Page 89

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 87 88 89 90 91 1266 Next
H0i
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands484 Posts
September 10 2011 13:35 GMT
#1761
On September 10 2011 22:16 WhiteDog wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 10 2011 21:29 H0i wrote:
On September 10 2011 21:17 WhiteDog wrote:
The main problem of TvP is the ghost in my opinion. It's such a freaking godly unit and it needs to be nerfed somehow in my opinion.

As for ZvP, protoss saying Zerg is OP are just blind.

About Protoss, the main problem is how the race is designed. Timing attacks are too good with warpgate tech (less after nerf) but aside from that, they are pretty weak early to mid game. Something needs to be done about warp gate tech - my opinion is that you need to upgrade zealot a bit (giving back their old shield maybe ?) and make charge easier to get while nerfing warpgate production ratio and up gateway so that protoss stay in gateway when they build up their army and switch to warpgate for attack / counter.
By the way, the colossus needs to be redesigned too, but no protoss will agree on that since they all love their a click noobish unit.

We're not saying ZvP is op, we're saying it's imbalanced because of those protoss design flaws. Protoss needs to be changed, not zerg. PvZ winrates in korea are <30%!

And 90% of all protoss will gladly replace the colossus with units like the reaver, which can be micro-ed and isn't just a terribly balanced and designed unit. The problem is colossus has to be so strong because without it protoss will be destroyed even more. Changing the protoss design will change that.

Protoss gateway army should be buffed and colossus redesigned ; the colossus is not "strong", it's just retarded. When you have a sufficient number, you just negate the entire ground army of your opponent, and if your opponent have a sufficient number of AA units such as viking or corruptor, he negate your entire colossus force, which is by the way almost your only way of dealing damage aside from the templar. That's an idiotic design, colossus should be completly different...

Yes, I and most protoss players totally agree.
beute
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany197 Posts
September 10 2011 15:28 GMT
#1762
On September 10 2011 22:32 Roblin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 10 2011 19:23 Brotocol wrote:
On September 10 2011 19:20 Belial88 wrote:
White-Ra goes Carrier/VR in PvZ a lot. It's absolutely unstoppable for Zerg. NP is okay but ghosts rape that, not to mention carrier range when micro'd. It's pretty hard to get to, but on split map he does it and Zerg always loses when he does it.



I think that if someone manages to get a critical mass of carriers out, then his opponent must not have been very good. Carriers take so, so, so long to come out and are extremely expensive.


the bolded statement is actually not true.
lets make some protoss players have a realization!

source: SC2 armory

Carrier:
buildtime: 120 seconds, 80 seconds if permanently chronoboosted
resource cost: 350/250 (+100 minerals for interceptors give 450/250)
food cost: 6
hp: 300hp + 150shield = 450
armor: 2
shield armor: 0
movement: 1.88
tags: armoured, mechanical, massive
attacks: ground and air
dps: unknown


broodlord:
paranthesis shows the difference between the carrier and broodlord
stats favouring broodlord:
buildtime: 40+33.83 = ~74 seconds (-46 seconds, alternatively -6 seconds)
resource cost: 150/100 + 150/150 = 300/250 (-150/0)
food cost: 4 (-2)
shield armor: 0 (irrelevant for broodlord)

stats favouring carrier
hp: 225 (+225)
armor: 1 (+1)
movement: 1.41 (+0.43)
tags: armoured, biological, massive (biological is worse than mechanical due to there being spells and bonus damages vs biological, not the case with mechanical)
attacks: ground (+vs air)
dps: unknown


Im sorry but dps doesn't say on SC2 armory, and I don't feel like searching just to find out just how badly carriers out-dps broodlords, cause Im certain they heavily do even when counting the broodlings. range doesn't show either, so I'll just that assume that the pros and cons cancel each other out on that front.


so basicly carriers beat broodlords in almost every aspect other than cost and buildtime, but lets assume blizz balanced the carrier so that you are supposed to chronoboost them, then suddenly the buildtime is extremely comparable, so the question is ultimately, are you ready to pay 150 minerals (3 probes), and 2 supply for 225 hps (!), an additional armor, higher movement speed, better tags, an air attack (!), and higher dps?

for the record: I would pay that prize any day of the millenia.

so obviously it is not the fact that they take a long time to build, nor the fact that they are expensive, that makes them see so little use, after all, if those were the deciding factors, then why do zergs build broodlords? the only explanation left is that they take a long time to mass true, the carrier can only be built 1 at a time, for every 2 nexi you have, since you need to permanently chronoboost them. but then I ask you:

do you really need to mass them?

isn't it fine just having 2 of them? (+ the rest of your army)
the same way its actually fine attacking with 2 colossi. (+ army)

why are you stuck in the mindset of "if I am going to use carriers, I must have 6 or more"?

its just not true.


They dont have the same role.
Interceptors can and will be shot down.
broodlings are infinite.




the reason why broodlords often times float in front of the zerg army is because they can be used to deal dmg without endangering themself, broodlings dont cost anything and they die anyway, so why not siege a turret/unit with them while you can..
if the enemy doesnt react the siege will go on forever.

Carriers on the other hand...
they dont block ground units from moving forwards, makes it easy to snipe lonely carriers.
they cant siege at all, because there is simply no infinite dps going on... the interceptors will eventually die, meaning the carriers will be useless for a certain amount of time...(wich is like a death sentence if the enemy engages in that moment)

If a broodlord shoots a bunch of marines, the marines either have to engage the broodlords or retreat, sitting there killing broodlings wont help you and it wont hurt the zerg at all.
Carriers SUCK against marines/hydras... the most vulnerable thing of a carrier is its interceptors.
kill them and then the threat is over.

Carriers are solely a tank-like battle unit, it cant be used to harras, it cant be used to siege.
It's just there dealing some (cost for cost) crappy DPS while absorbing a ton of enemy dmg.



Brotocol
Profile Joined September 2011
243 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-10 15:42:35
September 10 2011 15:36 GMT
#1763
"Carrier dps unknown" <- Convenient to ignore this point, even though I provided the dps in a link (here).

It does 26.67 DPS, when 8 interceptors are active. Interceptors in SC2 differ from BW in that they do not heal when they return to the carrier. They basically just die. Beyond that, if you fully upgrade air attack, Carrier does 42.67 DPS, which is lower than +0 Thor ground damage and lower than similarly upgraded BC dps. And by the time you have +3 air damage, the opponent will have +3 ground armor, which brings your carriers back to 26.67dps.

And still beyond all of the above, you can't really compare to brood lord construction time, since Zerg can build tons of units simultaneously. It's not feasible to make 6 Stargates and chrono boost all of them continuously. So, I find your build time comparison unfair, since it takes Zerg only 1.5 build cycle (corruptor -> brood) to make a whole bunch of brood lords.


Carrier as a unit is a real dud. Anyone saying it's viable has never tried using it... Any resource/time you spend making the carrier was probably better spent on something else.
"The Protoss ball of death is already too strong, so Protoss doesn't really need new units in HotS." - David Kim, Blizzcon 2011
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
September 10 2011 16:24 GMT
#1764
On September 10 2011 21:15 H0i wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 10 2011 21:00 Belial88 wrote:
^ Huh? When do I cry about it? Quit your personal vendetta against Zergs and chill out. I am just saying that no, carriers aren't useless, but they have a very limited role (mass siege tanks, or split map PvZ after army trades and somehow having mass stargates set up and void rays still left over).

Just like I said mass queen/ultra/BL is unstoppable, it's pretty fucking impossible to get to.

I have a personal vendetta against zergs because I am annoyed by some biased zerg player making false claims? You then argue saying carrier void ray is overpowered, because queen/ultra/bl also is, according to you?

Really? I'm not going to reply to you again, you're totally disconnected from reality.


What false claims?

And I never said carrier/voidray was overpowered, rofl. I never came close to ever saying that. I just said it's extremely powerful, as a response to people saying carriers were worthless. I say that, like queen/ultra/bl, it's extremely powerful, but it's pretty much impossible to get out, and it's very rare to see due to cost and infrastructure needed.

Jesus christ, some people are trolls.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
-_-
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
United States7081 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-10 16:34:26
September 10 2011 16:28 GMT
#1765
On September 11 2011 01:24 Belial88 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 10 2011 21:15 H0i wrote:
On September 10 2011 21:00 Belial88 wrote:
^ Huh? When do I cry about it? Quit your personal vendetta against Zergs and chill out. I am just saying that no, carriers aren't useless, but they have a very limited role (mass siege tanks, or split map PvZ after army trades and somehow having mass stargates set up and void rays still left over).

Just like I said mass queen/ultra/BL is unstoppable, it's pretty fucking impossible to get to.

I have a personal vendetta against zergs because I am annoyed by some biased zerg player making false claims? You then argue saying carrier void ray is overpowered, because queen/ultra/bl also is, according to you?

Really? I'm not going to reply to you again, you're totally disconnected from reality.


What false claims?

And I never said carrier/voidray was overpowered, rofl. I never came close to ever saying that. I just said it's extremely powerful, as a response to people saying carriers were worthless. I say that, like queen/ultra/bl, it's extremely powerful, but it's pretty much impossible to get out, and it's very rare to see due to cost and infrastructure needed.

Jesus christ, some people are trolls.


LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU JUST EDITED YOUR POST WHERE YOU SAID CARRIER AND VOID RAY WHERE UNSTOPPABLE.

This was the edited post:

On September 10 2011 21:00 Belial88 wrote:
^ Huh? When do I cry about it? Quit your personal vendetta against Zergs and chill out. I am just saying that no, carriers aren't useless, but they have a very limited role (mass siege tanks, or split map PvZ after army trades and somehow having mass stargates set up and void rays still left over).

Just like I said mass queen/ultra/BL is unstoppable, it's pretty fucking impossible to get to.


It included the statement that carriers and void ray were "unstoppable," that he had "never seen the composition lose," with the caveat that it was "pretty hard to get."
-_-
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
United States7081 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-10 16:34:41
September 10 2011 16:33 GMT
#1766
Edit fuck format I mistakenly quoted when I meant to edit.
H0i
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands484 Posts
September 10 2011 16:36 GMT
#1767
On September 11 2011 01:28 -_- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 11 2011 01:24 Belial88 wrote:
On September 10 2011 21:15 H0i wrote:
On September 10 2011 21:00 Belial88 wrote:
^ Huh? When do I cry about it? Quit your personal vendetta against Zergs and chill out. I am just saying that no, carriers aren't useless, but they have a very limited role (mass siege tanks, or split map PvZ after army trades and somehow having mass stargates set up and void rays still left over).

Just like I said mass queen/ultra/BL is unstoppable, it's pretty fucking impossible to get to.

I have a personal vendetta against zergs because I am annoyed by some biased zerg player making false claims? You then argue saying carrier void ray is overpowered, because queen/ultra/bl also is, according to you?

Really? I'm not going to reply to you again, you're totally disconnected from reality.


What false claims?

And I never said carrier/voidray was overpowered, rofl. I never came close to ever saying that. I just said it's extremely powerful, as a response to people saying carriers were worthless. I say that, like queen/ultra/bl, it's extremely powerful, but it's pretty much impossible to get out, and it's very rare to see due to cost and infrastructure needed.

Jesus christ, some people are trolls.


LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU JUST EDITED YOUR POST WHERE YOU SAID CARRIER AND VOID RAY WHERE UNSTOPPABLE.

This was the edited post:

Show nested quote +
On September 10 2011 21:00 Belial88 wrote:
^ Huh? When do I cry about it? Quit your personal vendetta against Zergs and chill out. I am just saying that no, carriers aren't useless, but they have a very limited role (mass siege tanks, or split map PvZ after army trades and somehow having mass stargates set up and void rays still left over).

Just like I said mass queen/ultra/BL is unstoppable, it's pretty fucking impossible to get to.


It included the statement that carriers and void ray were "unstoppable," that he had "never seen the composition lose," with the caveat that it was "pretty hard to get."


Haha, I love you. This is hilarious.

Could you please report this "Belial88" guy for trolling and the like? I can't report people yet.
-_-
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
United States7081 Posts
September 10 2011 16:39 GMT
#1768
On September 11 2011 01:36 H0i wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 11 2011 01:28 -_- wrote:
On September 11 2011 01:24 Belial88 wrote:
On September 10 2011 21:15 H0i wrote:
On September 10 2011 21:00 Belial88 wrote:
^ Huh? When do I cry about it? Quit your personal vendetta against Zergs and chill out. I am just saying that no, carriers aren't useless, but they have a very limited role (mass siege tanks, or split map PvZ after army trades and somehow having mass stargates set up and void rays still left over).

Just like I said mass queen/ultra/BL is unstoppable, it's pretty fucking impossible to get to.

I have a personal vendetta against zergs because I am annoyed by some biased zerg player making false claims? You then argue saying carrier void ray is overpowered, because queen/ultra/bl also is, according to you?

Really? I'm not going to reply to you again, you're totally disconnected from reality.


What false claims?

And I never said carrier/voidray was overpowered, rofl. I never came close to ever saying that. I just said it's extremely powerful, as a response to people saying carriers were worthless. I say that, like queen/ultra/bl, it's extremely powerful, but it's pretty much impossible to get out, and it's very rare to see due to cost and infrastructure needed.

Jesus christ, some people are trolls.


LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU JUST EDITED YOUR POST WHERE YOU SAID CARRIER AND VOID RAY WHERE UNSTOPPABLE.

This was the edited post:

On September 10 2011 21:00 Belial88 wrote:
^ Huh? When do I cry about it? Quit your personal vendetta against Zergs and chill out. I am just saying that no, carriers aren't useless, but they have a very limited role (mass siege tanks, or split map PvZ after army trades and somehow having mass stargates set up and void rays still left over).

Just like I said mass queen/ultra/BL is unstoppable, it's pretty fucking impossible to get to.


It included the statement that carriers and void ray were "unstoppable," that he had "never seen the composition lose," with the caveat that it was "pretty hard to get."


Haha, I love you. This is hilarious.

Could you please report this "Belial88" guy for trolling and the like? I can't report people yet.


lol, to tell you the truth I don't think he's trolling. He probably just expressed himself incorrectly and got into argument because he mispoke without realizing it. .
H0i
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands484 Posts
September 10 2011 16:43 GMT
#1769
On September 11 2011 01:39 -_- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 11 2011 01:36 H0i wrote:
On September 11 2011 01:28 -_- wrote:
On September 11 2011 01:24 Belial88 wrote:
On September 10 2011 21:15 H0i wrote:
On September 10 2011 21:00 Belial88 wrote:
^ Huh? When do I cry about it? Quit your personal vendetta against Zergs and chill out. I am just saying that no, carriers aren't useless, but they have a very limited role (mass siege tanks, or split map PvZ after army trades and somehow having mass stargates set up and void rays still left over).

Just like I said mass queen/ultra/BL is unstoppable, it's pretty fucking impossible to get to.

I have a personal vendetta against zergs because I am annoyed by some biased zerg player making false claims? You then argue saying carrier void ray is overpowered, because queen/ultra/bl also is, according to you?

Really? I'm not going to reply to you again, you're totally disconnected from reality.


What false claims?

And I never said carrier/voidray was overpowered, rofl. I never came close to ever saying that. I just said it's extremely powerful, as a response to people saying carriers were worthless. I say that, like queen/ultra/bl, it's extremely powerful, but it's pretty much impossible to get out, and it's very rare to see due to cost and infrastructure needed.

Jesus christ, some people are trolls.


LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU JUST EDITED YOUR POST WHERE YOU SAID CARRIER AND VOID RAY WHERE UNSTOPPABLE.

This was the edited post:

On September 10 2011 21:00 Belial88 wrote:
^ Huh? When do I cry about it? Quit your personal vendetta against Zergs and chill out. I am just saying that no, carriers aren't useless, but they have a very limited role (mass siege tanks, or split map PvZ after army trades and somehow having mass stargates set up and void rays still left over).

Just like I said mass queen/ultra/BL is unstoppable, it's pretty fucking impossible to get to.


It included the statement that carriers and void ray were "unstoppable," that he had "never seen the composition lose," with the caveat that it was "pretty hard to get."


Haha, I love you. This is hilarious.

Could you please report this "Belial88" guy for trolling and the like? I can't report people yet.


lol, to tell you the truth I don't think he's trolling. He probably just expressed himself incorrectly and got into argument because he mispoke without realizing it. .

I've read some of his other posts... my troll detector really goes off. Constant baseless claims about supposed imbalance, without any good arguments.
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
September 10 2011 17:18 GMT
#1770
I never edited out my post, I added to it. And I didn't 'just edit', I edited it last night right I after I posted because I figured some people might be too stupid to understand.

Just like Ghost/Mech is unstoppable, but also pretty ridiculously hard to get.

I don't know what you guys are ranting and raving about. I never said Carrier/VR was OP, i said it was pretty much unstoppable in PvZ, but it's as hard to get to as it is hard to stop. There's no feasible way to really get it, unless it's 6+ bases, split map, and you just had a huge army trade (and not with worthless lings or roaches, but with BLs and ultras), didn't lose your mass of void rays, and have 6+ stargates to pump out of.

It's not the hardest thing to do, on say, Shakuras, where you cannon up the middle of the map and have 6 bases.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Dommk
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia4865 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-10 17:40:30
September 10 2011 17:25 GMT
#1771
On September 10 2011 22:32 Roblin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 10 2011 19:23 Brotocol wrote:
On September 10 2011 19:20 Belial88 wrote:
White-Ra goes Carrier/VR in PvZ a lot. It's absolutely unstoppable for Zerg. NP is okay but ghosts rape that, not to mention carrier range when micro'd. It's pretty hard to get to, but on split map he does it and Zerg always loses when he does it.



I think that if someone manages to get a critical mass of carriers out, then his opponent must not have been very good. Carriers take so, so, so long to come out and are extremely expensive.


the bolded statement is actually not true.
lets make some protoss players have a realization!

source: SC2 armory

Carrier:
buildtime: 120 seconds, 80 seconds if permanently chronoboosted
resource cost: 350/250 (+100 minerals for interceptors give 450/250)
food cost: 6
hp: 300hp + 150shield = 450
armor: 2
shield armor: 0
movement: 1.88
tags: armoured, mechanical, massive
attacks: ground and air
dps: unknown


broodlord:
paranthesis shows the difference between the carrier and broodlord
stats favouring broodlord:
buildtime: 40+33.83 = ~74 seconds (-46 seconds, alternatively -6 seconds)
resource cost: 150/100 + 150/150 = 300/250 (-150/0)
food cost: 4 (-2)
shield armor: 0 (irrelevant for broodlord)

stats favouring carrier
hp: 225 (+225)
armor: 1 (+1)
movement: 1.41 (+0.43)
tags: armoured, biological, massive (biological is worse than mechanical due to there being spells and bonus damages vs biological, not the case with mechanical)
attacks: ground (+vs air)
dps: unknown


Im sorry but dps doesn't say on SC2 armory, and I don't feel like searching just to find out just how badly carriers out-dps broodlords, cause Im certain they heavily do even when counting the broodlings. range doesn't show either, so I'll just that assume that the pros and cons cancel each other out on that front.


so basicly carriers beat broodlords in almost every aspect other than cost and buildtime, but lets assume blizz balanced the carrier so that you are supposed to chronoboost them, then suddenly the buildtime is extremely comparable, so the question is ultimately, are you ready to pay 150 minerals (3 probes), and 2 supply for 225 hps (!), an additional armor, higher movement speed, better tags, an air attack (!), and higher dps?

for the record: I would pay that prize any day of the millenia.

so obviously it is not the fact that they take a long time to build, nor the fact that they are expensive, that makes them see so little use, after all, if those were the deciding factors, then why do zergs build broodlords? the only explanation left is that they take a long time to mass true, the carrier can only be built 1 at a time, for every 2 nexi you have, since you need to permanently chronoboost them. but then I ask you:

do you really need to mass them?

isn't it fine just having 2 of them? (+ the rest of your army)
the same way its actually fine attacking with 2 colossi. (+ army)

why are you stuck in the mindset of "if I am going to use carriers, I must have 6 or more"?

its just not true.


Carriers don't badly out DPS Broodlords...

I can't remember the math, but it was something like a Broodlord at it highest has around 10~ Dps more and at its lowest has 5-6~ Less than a Carrier, highest and lowest depending on the current amount of active Broodlings.

The Broodlord average DPS is something like 25? can't remember exactly but if you tie in the fact that Carriers replenish interceptors at a much slower rate, Broodlords should out DPS Carriers in a fight between two armies--Carrier DPS is generally much lower than than what the math says due to interceptor death


You need a lot of them because they aren't worth their cost otherwise... Making 2 of them just doesn't cut it. You hear about how Carriers gain +14 Damage every attack upgrade but people often neglect to mention that every armor upgrade the enemy has reduces your Carriers damage by 14

The reason you need multiple is also confounded by the fact you just need to get a few of them to make your resource investment worthwhile..you are looking at Air Attack upgrades (possibly armor), Fleet Beacon, Interceptor Upgrade and a few Stargates, that is freaking expensive for just "Two or three" carriers, completely not worth their cost

You are effectively comparing a Banshee to a DT, on paper a Banshee is better in almost every way but in late game situations, DT's are clearly superior as it is much more convenient to get multiple of them out as opposed to a Banshee, due to Gateways being readily available, sharing upgrades and warpgates.

Much the same, Broodlords are a heck of a lot easier to get out for Zerg than it is for Protoss to make Carriers despite Broodlords being weaker (and stronger in other areas, i.e forcing unseiges due to tanks firing on broodlings)
SupItsG
Profile Joined March 2011
United States59 Posts
September 10 2011 17:40 GMT
#1772
On September 11 2011 02:18 Belial88 wrote:
I never said Carrier/VR was OP, i said it was pretty much unstoppable in PvZ,


.....doesn't that define imbalance?
Hikari
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
1914 Posts
September 10 2011 18:37 GMT
#1773
WRT BL v Carriers, transition is also a very important thing to note:
for example, the spire is a pretty handy building. Staple in ZvT, and zergs get corruptors for anti-colossi.

On the upgrade side, broodlords scale very well with melee upgrades, which also affect zerglings and banelings. It inherits the same upgrade path as the ling mutabane tech, as well as the ling infestor tech. For ZvP roach infestor midgames, only the carapace upgrade carries over.

For carriers, they work with a very unique set of upgrades that benefits only stargate units (+warp prism/observer), which are often just the "support units" of your armies. Picking up those upgrades do very little in helping you in the early/midgame.

As others mentioned, every attack/armor difference is a matter of 14 damage (!!), but if carriers are produced at the broodlord timing (~20 minutes into the game), often times the standard army would be already running on 2/2 upgrades, making carriers a lot less effective.

I find that if I need that air support (anti BL/some weird heavy marauder tank comp), voidray does a very decent job.
Probasaur
Profile Joined August 2011
United States461 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-10 18:44:42
September 10 2011 18:44 GMT
#1774
Medivacs are fast, they can carry WAY TOO MANY UNITS, and they heal. Get two medivacs and trollolololol your way to a win.


Is your opponent out macroing you? Is his build clearly superior and is he about to roll you over? Then medivac is the right unit for you!! How much health do they have btw? I feel like it takes half a toss army to stop 2 of them. It's incredible how easy it is to take out two bases at once. The only unit mobile enough to make it back to the base with haste is blink stalkers and like someone said in chat 7 stalkers lose to 2 marauders and 4 marines. Yet somehow they cost way more...?


In Nony vs DDE... Tyler made some game ending mistakes in the first game. But in the last 2 I felt like he had great micro, great FF, but he still got rolled over. Doesnt add up.
"He who makes a beast of himself.... gets rid of the pain of being a man" -Hunter S Thompson.
bnanaPEEL
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada138 Posts
September 10 2011 18:50 GMT
#1775
I know someone probably already thought of this and it's a major change but hear me out:

They should switch the roles of Hydras and Roaches. Back in Brood War, the hydra was a cheap (75min 25gas). The hydra den could be made right after pool, and two upgrades were available: grooved spines and muscular augments.

Crucially, the muscular augments upgrade made the Hydralisk microable. It made them capable of dodging storms, and thus used a lot in zvp. They were also combined with mutalisks to battle mech terran, having the mutas take out the siege tanks. This is how I envision the new SC2 hydralisk should be.

The roach is not a good enough substitution for the old hydra (in terms of low tech, microable units). The fact that the roach is one of the few microable units for zerg makes the race that much weaker overall as its more of a tanky unit. I dunno, it just seems intuitive to me that roaches should be Lair tech, slow and meaty units with low range and high defense for dealing with maxed armies.

Zerg needs a fast microable hydralisk, so I propose to essentially reverse their techs. Make Hydra den pool tech with speed and range upgrades, and Roach warren lair tech with either the same speed upgrade as there is now or some sort of extra defense upgrade to emphasize their roles as tanks. Reverse the supply and costs as well.

I can already see this change helping zvp. Combined with mutas, hydras with speed could deal with the death ball by dodging storms and kiting zealots. Mutas would snipe colossi. Anyways, I'm going off on a tangent now, lemme know if it's a viable balance change.
unintentionally intoxicated
LXR
Profile Joined June 2011
357 Posts
September 10 2011 19:05 GMT
#1776
What do you guys think about this as a way to help discourage offensive 4-gate in PvP:
Units warp in without shields, but they simply recharge as normal.

I think this would help out to discourage offensive warp gate without really affecting any other match ups or situations. The only ramification is that you have to warp in you units ahead of time, not in the middle of a battle, which seems fair enough to me. Maybe mid-game has an upgrade to get warp-in with shields.
Brotocol
Profile Joined September 2011
243 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-10 19:58:15
September 10 2011 19:55 GMT
#1777
Even though I like bnanaPEEL's idea in terms of design, I find it a bit disheartening that the last 2 posts are aimed at worsening Protoss even more. P is doing really badly right now.

I really like the idea of Hydralisks being the staple zerg unit again, but I don't think zerg needs help with the alleged "deathball" as of the current metagame.

And a straight up gateway unit nerf... Why?
"The Protoss ball of death is already too strong, so Protoss doesn't really need new units in HotS." - David Kim, Blizzcon 2011
Orcasgt24
Profile Joined August 2011
Canada3238 Posts
September 10 2011 23:48 GMT
#1778
On September 11 2011 04:05 LXR wrote:
What do you guys think about this as a way to help discourage offensive 4-gate in PvP:
Units warp in without shields, but they simply recharge as normal.

I think this would help out to discourage offensive warp gate without really affecting any other match ups or situations. The only ramification is that you have to warp in you units ahead of time, not in the middle of a battle, which seems fair enough to me. Maybe mid-game has an upgrade to get warp-in with shields.


This would kill Protoss. They would not be able to defend because their stuff would start with -30%ish life. Its tough enough as is to defend a early MMM push with stim.
In Hearthstone we pray to RNGesus. When Yogg-Saron hits the field, RNGod gets to work
craque
Profile Joined August 2011
United States32 Posts
September 11 2011 00:35 GMT
#1779
How about this:

The power field of friendly pylons increases shield capacity of nearby units. Like +15 or whatever is enough to give the defender an advantage but still breakable by a well micro'd or determined offense. The increase would just be in capacity, the unit would still need to stand in the field long enough for the shield recharge rate to fill it.

Or have the pylon power field remove the shield recharge delay.

Either of these would also provide some extra defense against drops and give another reason for having good pylon placement.





Awaiting true strategy
-NegativeZero-
Profile Joined August 2011
United States2142 Posts
September 11 2011 00:56 GMT
#1780
To help carriers, has anyone discussed increasing the survivability of interceptors? Adding an interceptor armor upgrade at the fleet beacon might be a reasonable idea - +2 or +3 in addition to cyber core upgrades would help quite a bit to prevent them from being shredded by marines and stuff.
vibeo gane,
Prev 1 87 88 89 90 91 1266 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 58m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 783
actioN 681
BeSt 289
Killer 195
Mong 162
Dewaltoss 112
sorry 59
sSak 41
ZergMaN 36
Aegong 31
[ Show more ]
Bale 29
NotJumperer 23
yabsab 14
Noble 10
Counter-Strike
byalli673
Other Games
summit1g9641
olofmeister983
Happy339
Sick199
crisheroes180
Pyrionflax113
KnowMe106
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick740
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream36
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos900
• Stunt438
Other Games
• WagamamaTV114
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
58m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1h 58m
Monday Night Weeklies
6h 58m
Replay Cast
13h 58m
Afreeca Starleague
1d
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 1h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 14h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.