• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:23
CEST 09:23
KST 16:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War605.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8415 users

Designated Balance Discussion Thread - Page 765

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 763 764 765 766 767 1266 Next
usethis2
Profile Joined December 2010
2164 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-17 03:08:51
September 17 2013 03:05 GMT
#15281
Make widow mines more visible. This is really important, IMO. Also make their attack animation more visible. I don't know how, but that's your job, Blizzard. It is impossible to see mines, let alone which mine hit what/where. I know some terran players manually target their mines, but as of now no one really can tell such beauty, which makes everything looks more random than they already are.

Really dislike the way they try to "balance" things in slimy ways. (see also: how ghosts blend in a marine/marauder army vs. fat and striped, impossible-to-miss infestors in a Z army)
saddaromma
Profile Joined April 2013
1129 Posts
September 17 2013 03:11 GMT
#15282
On September 17 2013 04:30 lolfail9001 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2013 03:55 saddaromma wrote:
helbats were op vs any other terran strategy, hence imbalance. And got tuned down. You can call it game design or balance. Whatever. But, again if you are thinking balance only matters at race level, i strongly disagree with, it should be looked at within each race, unit and composition. You can't discuss balance and design separately, they're tightly related.

Then it somehow ends up that you are contradicting yourself, since you say that all Blizz cares about is statistical balance, but hellbats were legitimately imbalanced(as in only really viable strat) only in TvT. Yet Blizzard nerfed 'em. Boom!

Nope. I said blizzard (DK) mostly cares about race statistics. I didn't say they exclusively balance race matchups only. Please read carefully before you start arguing with me. I'm not fan of pointless internet arguing, which I do sometimes, and hate myself for it.

@Grumbel, you should also learn to proofread before jumping into bandwagon.

Blizzard did some jobs to fix mirrors, but it was more of bandages to glaring problems. They don't go deep into each matchup and try to fix root of the problems. E.g. they fixed mass muta in zvz, but it redirected to mass roach, and matchup still isn't fun or play most of the times. Granted it wasn't that fun in bw either. But aleast they could open more options like I don't know some new compositions or transitions. Again, I don't say its 100% roach vs roach, but you get the idea...
Sabu113
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States11111 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-17 03:13:21
September 17 2013 03:12 GMT
#15283
On September 17 2013 10:58 Thieving Magpie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2013 10:42 MarlieChurphy wrote:
Yea, I think the problem really lies in the unit concept itself. Just think how many iterations they went through before they 'settled' on the current form. They were all pretty bad. The ultimate goal of the unit wasn't to be a staple part of the army, or even a harass potential. It was simply to be a map defense control mechanic for runby and muta repelling etc. A spidermine replacement that worked for air, if you will.

Perhaps they should have an additional timer that doesn't allow them to unburrow before they shoot once, or after X amount of time. That would definitely be a more exciting element for spectators. Or maybe the unit should be moved to some separate building/unit that can only cast out X amount of widow mines at a time (sort of like a nuke silo). It would be neat to see ghosts in armies calling down widow mines or something like that.


The widowmine is problematic not because of its design.

It's essentially the SC2 siege tank minus the drawbacks.

Does it have a blind spot? Nope.
High damage? Yup.
Mobile? Yup.
Cheap? Yup.
Easy to mass? Yes as well.

The "drawback" is it has a shorter range than the tank. But for all the advantages it gains, of course its worth the range loss.

The problem isn't that its a crappy mine, it's that its a good siege tank.


At 125-> 160 against shields and the ability to make Immortals into overpriced paper weights... It arguably does more effective damage as well. Thinking 2 tank volleys til the armies close ? Maybe add another 2 from deeper lying tanks?

It's a silly good siege tank. Probably game from the same geniuses that thought the warhound belongs in a competitive game.
Biomine is a drunken chick who is on industrial strength amphetamines and would just grab your dick and jerk it as hard and violently as she could while screaming 'OMG FUCK ME', because she saw it in a Sasha Grey video ...-Wombat_Ni
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12889 Posts
September 17 2013 03:13 GMT
#15284
On September 17 2013 12:11 saddaromma wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2013 04:30 lolfail9001 wrote:
On September 17 2013 03:55 saddaromma wrote:
helbats were op vs any other terran strategy, hence imbalance. And got tuned down. You can call it game design or balance. Whatever. But, again if you are thinking balance only matters at race level, i strongly disagree with, it should be looked at within each race, unit and composition. You can't discuss balance and design separately, they're tightly related.

Then it somehow ends up that you are contradicting yourself, since you say that all Blizz cares about is statistical balance, but hellbats were legitimately imbalanced(as in only really viable strat) only in TvT. Yet Blizzard nerfed 'em. Boom!

Nope. I said blizzard (DK) mostly cares about race statistics. I didn't say they exclusively balance race matchups only. Please read carefully before you start arguing with me. I'm not fan of pointless internet arguing, which I do sometimes, and hate myself for it.

@Grumbel, you should also learn to proofread before jumping into bandwagon.

Blizzard did some jobs to fix mirrors, but it was more of bandages to glaring problems. They don't go deep into each matchup and try to fix root of the problems. E.g. they fixed mass muta in zvz, but it redirected to mass roach, and matchup still isn't fun or play most of the times. Granted it wasn't that fun in bw either. But aleast they could open more options like I don't know some new compositions or transitions. Again, I don't say its 100% roach vs roach, but you get the idea...

there had been a few muta games in DH as well, I don't know here you got the 100% roach from.
Roach battle is actually incredibly fun, I recall Ret loves it as well. A lot of positional play, flanks, burrow harass, transition etc
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
saddaromma
Profile Joined April 2013
1129 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-17 03:44:29
September 17 2013 03:38 GMT
#15285
On September 17 2013 12:13 ETisME wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2013 12:11 saddaromma wrote:
On September 17 2013 04:30 lolfail9001 wrote:
On September 17 2013 03:55 saddaromma wrote:
helbats were op vs any other terran strategy, hence imbalance. And got tuned down. You can call it game design or balance. Whatever. But, again if you are thinking balance only matters at race level, i strongly disagree with, it should be looked at within each race, unit and composition. You can't discuss balance and design separately, they're tightly related.

Then it somehow ends up that you are contradicting yourself, since you say that all Blizz cares about is statistical balance, but hellbats were legitimately imbalanced(as in only really viable strat) only in TvT. Yet Blizzard nerfed 'em. Boom!

Nope. I said blizzard (DK) mostly cares about race statistics. I didn't say they exclusively balance race matchups only. Please read carefully before you start arguing with me. I'm not fan of pointless internet arguing, which I do sometimes, and hate myself for it.

@Grumbel, you should also learn to proofread before jumping into bandwagon.

Blizzard did some jobs to fix mirrors, but it was more of bandages to glaring problems. They don't go deep into each matchup and try to fix root of the problems. E.g. they fixed mass muta in zvz, but it redirected to mass roach, and matchup still isn't fun or play most of the times. Granted it wasn't that fun in bw either. But aleast they could open more options like I don't know some new compositions or transitions. Again, I don't say its 100% roach vs roach, but you get the idea...

there had been a few muta games in DH as well, I don't know here you got the 100% roach from.
Roach battle is actually incredibly fun, I recall Ret loves it as well. A lot of positional play, flanks, burrow harass, transition etc

Please re-read my post carefully.

And I'm not sure how a-massing one unit supposed to be fun. If starcraft had only marine, zergling and zealot. Would it still be fun?
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12889 Posts
September 17 2013 03:54 GMT
#15286
On September 17 2013 12:38 saddaromma wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2013 12:13 ETisME wrote:
On September 17 2013 12:11 saddaromma wrote:
On September 17 2013 04:30 lolfail9001 wrote:
On September 17 2013 03:55 saddaromma wrote:
helbats were op vs any other terran strategy, hence imbalance. And got tuned down. You can call it game design or balance. Whatever. But, again if you are thinking balance only matters at race level, i strongly disagree with, it should be looked at within each race, unit and composition. You can't discuss balance and design separately, they're tightly related.

Then it somehow ends up that you are contradicting yourself, since you say that all Blizz cares about is statistical balance, but hellbats were legitimately imbalanced(as in only really viable strat) only in TvT. Yet Blizzard nerfed 'em. Boom!

Nope. I said blizzard (DK) mostly cares about race statistics. I didn't say they exclusively balance race matchups only. Please read carefully before you start arguing with me. I'm not fan of pointless internet arguing, which I do sometimes, and hate myself for it.

@Grumbel, you should also learn to proofread before jumping into bandwagon.

Blizzard did some jobs to fix mirrors, but it was more of bandages to glaring problems. They don't go deep into each matchup and try to fix root of the problems. E.g. they fixed mass muta in zvz, but it redirected to mass roach, and matchup still isn't fun or play most of the times. Granted it wasn't that fun in bw either. But aleast they could open more options like I don't know some new compositions or transitions. Again, I don't say its 100% roach vs roach, but you get the idea...

there had been a few muta games in DH as well, I don't know here you got the 100% roach from.
Roach battle is actually incredibly fun, I recall Ret loves it as well. A lot of positional play, flanks, burrow harass, transition etc

Please re-read my post carefully.

And I'm not sure how a-massing one unit supposed to be fun. If starcraft had only marine, zergling and zealot. Would it still be fun?

I am focusing on that point where you are wrong. You said ZvZ is all about mass roach and not mass muta anymore and want new composition and transitions. We have aggressive 10 pool opening, quick lair for muta, roach mid game into hydra roach/infestor roach/even swarmhost (during spl).
That matchup isn't about massing one unit at all.

And even if it is about mass roach, think about Go for example, every piece is equal, which makes positioning and engagement even more important. You should go back to watch TvT with Ryung and Flash with the flank over flank over flank with marines and medivacs (tanks weren't in that engagement later)
That being said, there is a lot of depth in Roach wars, when to add hydras, or sac upgrade for more infestors, or even swarmhost etc
What you are saying is like why ZvZ must open with queen and lings. It's just silly, going roach/muta is a player's style, both have their transition stage
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
saddaromma
Profile Joined April 2013
1129 Posts
September 17 2013 04:12 GMT
#15287
On September 17 2013 12:54 ETisME wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2013 12:38 saddaromma wrote:
On September 17 2013 12:13 ETisME wrote:
On September 17 2013 12:11 saddaromma wrote:
On September 17 2013 04:30 lolfail9001 wrote:
On September 17 2013 03:55 saddaromma wrote:
helbats were op vs any other terran strategy, hence imbalance. And got tuned down. You can call it game design or balance. Whatever. But, again if you are thinking balance only matters at race level, i strongly disagree with, it should be looked at within each race, unit and composition. You can't discuss balance and design separately, they're tightly related.

Then it somehow ends up that you are contradicting yourself, since you say that all Blizz cares about is statistical balance, but hellbats were legitimately imbalanced(as in only really viable strat) only in TvT. Yet Blizzard nerfed 'em. Boom!

Nope. I said blizzard (DK) mostly cares about race statistics. I didn't say they exclusively balance race matchups only. Please read carefully before you start arguing with me. I'm not fan of pointless internet arguing, which I do sometimes, and hate myself for it.

@Grumbel, you should also learn to proofread before jumping into bandwagon.

Blizzard did some jobs to fix mirrors, but it was more of bandages to glaring problems. They don't go deep into each matchup and try to fix root of the problems. E.g. they fixed mass muta in zvz, but it redirected to mass roach, and matchup still isn't fun or play most of the times. Granted it wasn't that fun in bw either. But aleast they could open more options like I don't know some new compositions or transitions. Again, I don't say its 100% roach vs roach, but you get the idea...

there had been a few muta games in DH as well, I don't know here you got the 100% roach from.
Roach battle is actually incredibly fun, I recall Ret loves it as well. A lot of positional play, flanks, burrow harass, transition etc

Please re-read my post carefully.

And I'm not sure how a-massing one unit supposed to be fun. If starcraft had only marine, zergling and zealot. Would it still be fun?

I am focusing on that point where you are wrong. You said ZvZ is all about mass roach and not mass muta anymore and want new composition and transitions. We have aggressive 10 pool opening, quick lair for muta, roach mid game into hydra roach/infestor roach/even swarmhost (during spl).
That matchup isn't about massing one unit at all.

And even if it is about mass roach, think about Go for example, every piece is equal, which makes positioning and engagement even more important. You should go back to watch TvT with Ryung and Flash with the flank over flank over flank with marines and medivacs (tanks weren't in that engagement later)
That being said, there is a lot of depth in Roach wars, when to add hydras, or sac upgrade for more infestors, or even swarmhost etc
What you are saying is like why ZvZ must open with queen and lings. It's just silly, going roach/muta is a player's style, both have their transition stage

I think TvT is in a great state (imo best matchup). I don't know why you're bringing that up. I already stated I don't like tvz, tvp and zvz, which I think you were joking at in pervious posts.

SC2 isn't black and white, and when I say zvz is mass raoch, its not literally 100% mass roach, ofc other variations also exist. I recall some players used swarm hosts to some success. But overall, zvz feels a bit shallow, if one players gets ahead, its really difficult for other to comeback. Simply because enemy has more 'stuff'. I know concave engaging, roach micro matter, but they have little to no use when one player is noticably behind. For instance in TvT, one smart engagement (MMA vs Innovation) can turn everything upside down. ZvZ doesn't have that qualities.

As I said, you could make zvz zerglings vs zerglings only and call it strategically diverse and engaging, but in the end, I know sc2 can do better than that.
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12889 Posts
September 17 2013 04:23 GMT
#15288
On September 17 2013 13:12 saddaromma wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2013 12:54 ETisME wrote:
On September 17 2013 12:38 saddaromma wrote:
On September 17 2013 12:13 ETisME wrote:
On September 17 2013 12:11 saddaromma wrote:
On September 17 2013 04:30 lolfail9001 wrote:
On September 17 2013 03:55 saddaromma wrote:
helbats were op vs any other terran strategy, hence imbalance. And got tuned down. You can call it game design or balance. Whatever. But, again if you are thinking balance only matters at race level, i strongly disagree with, it should be looked at within each race, unit and composition. You can't discuss balance and design separately, they're tightly related.

Then it somehow ends up that you are contradicting yourself, since you say that all Blizz cares about is statistical balance, but hellbats were legitimately imbalanced(as in only really viable strat) only in TvT. Yet Blizzard nerfed 'em. Boom!

Nope. I said blizzard (DK) mostly cares about race statistics. I didn't say they exclusively balance race matchups only. Please read carefully before you start arguing with me. I'm not fan of pointless internet arguing, which I do sometimes, and hate myself for it.

@Grumbel, you should also learn to proofread before jumping into bandwagon.

Blizzard did some jobs to fix mirrors, but it was more of bandages to glaring problems. They don't go deep into each matchup and try to fix root of the problems. E.g. they fixed mass muta in zvz, but it redirected to mass roach, and matchup still isn't fun or play most of the times. Granted it wasn't that fun in bw either. But aleast they could open more options like I don't know some new compositions or transitions. Again, I don't say its 100% roach vs roach, but you get the idea...

there had been a few muta games in DH as well, I don't know here you got the 100% roach from.
Roach battle is actually incredibly fun, I recall Ret loves it as well. A lot of positional play, flanks, burrow harass, transition etc

Please re-read my post carefully.

And I'm not sure how a-massing one unit supposed to be fun. If starcraft had only marine, zergling and zealot. Would it still be fun?

I am focusing on that point where you are wrong. You said ZvZ is all about mass roach and not mass muta anymore and want new composition and transitions. We have aggressive 10 pool opening, quick lair for muta, roach mid game into hydra roach/infestor roach/even swarmhost (during spl).
That matchup isn't about massing one unit at all.

And even if it is about mass roach, think about Go for example, every piece is equal, which makes positioning and engagement even more important. You should go back to watch TvT with Ryung and Flash with the flank over flank over flank with marines and medivacs (tanks weren't in that engagement later)
That being said, there is a lot of depth in Roach wars, when to add hydras, or sac upgrade for more infestors, or even swarmhost etc
What you are saying is like why ZvZ must open with queen and lings. It's just silly, going roach/muta is a player's style, both have their transition stage

I think TvT is in a great state (imo best matchup). I don't know why you're bringing that up. I already stated I don't like tvz, tvp and zvz, which I think you were joking at in pervious posts.

SC2 isn't black and white, and when I say zvz is mass raoch, its not literally 100% mass roach, ofc other variations also exist. I recall some players used swarm hosts to some success. But overall, zvz feels a bit shallow, if one players gets ahead, its really difficult for other to comeback. Simply because enemy has more 'stuff'. I know concave engaging, roach micro matter, but they have little to no use when one player is noticably behind. For instance in TvT, one smart engagement (MMA vs Innovation) can turn everything upside down. ZvZ doesn't have that qualities.

As I said, you could make zvz zerglings vs zerglings only and call it strategically diverse and engaging, but in the end, I know sc2 can do better than that.

I brought up that game is to show you that even pure marines can be fun to watch.

There are two ways to look at this problem:
one smart engagement to turn everything upside down, you can say it is awesome to watch.
Yet I can also say the game is way too violate in that way, which isn't good for a competitive game. Also this is one reason why mech is generally used less because its performance is just too inconsistent.

How many other matchup really have that comeback ability in SC2?
For all I know, ZvZ is really awesome right now. Especially when different players use different style and add on some of their personal trade mark moves (I think I have only seen leenock does the burrow infestor fungal on the opponent infestors?)
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
September 17 2013 06:53 GMT
#15289
On September 17 2013 12:11 saddaromma wrote:
@Grumbel, you should also learn to proofread before jumping into bandwagon.

Ironic, since you can't spell my name. I wasn't taking any sides anyway, I was only looking up changes since I figured some people might want to know about them. :o
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
NarutO
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
Germany18839 Posts
September 17 2013 07:01 GMT
#15290
I hope people realize that current ZvT is demanding, but not imbalanced. While I would like to see a change, I would like to see a change to make the game more entertaining and complex, not because I think something is imbalanced im TvZ. We saw DRG state that control usually decides who wins those battles and while Zerg previously had the option to either not micro at all or micro to some extent / set up flanks, now you have to control your army in fights which is a good thing.

Games that show good control:

Scarlett/Bomber
hyvaa/INnoVation
DRG/INnoVation
Serral/SuperNoVa (partly good control, partly good decisions)

While I believe it should go without saying, I will still point out that people should realize that nerfing the widowmine doesn't go without buffing another aspect of Terran, as tanks would see no midgame timing allowing the Zerg to freely do whatever he wants converting HotS basically back to WoL. In addition, tanks cannot retreat nor move easily on creep, while the widowmine does allow it. Terran does play it, because its the only viable option currently and nerfing it severely will lead to not just Zerg dominace, but utter destruction of Terran. An aspect we never saw the other way around. To proof that point, you can have a look at any TvZ in which the mines didn't detonate as well as they can/should/Terran wants them to and the result often times is a complete destruction of the Terran force and/or retreat with as much as possible. While I feel the widowmines are a good thing "FOR ZERG" as in they increase the skill ceiling and make their engagements harder and more demanding which is good, becuase a good player will always show while a bad player won't I think its bad from a Terran aspect of view. Besides mines being relatively random, I feel targeting with mines is no reliable skill. While there are some Terrans that occasionally (or in INnoVations case often) targets with mines, I still feel it has a tad of randomness in it.

I would love to see something done with the siege tank, but the truth is, the siege tank is very good in TvT and making it better vs Zerg with for example an upgrade that allows movement speed and/or faster siege/unsiege you will effectively make TvT mech a lot stronger. I don't know if that is what Blizzard wants, but that would be my point :x
CommentatorPolt | MMA | Jjakji | BoxeR | NaDa | MVP | MKP ... truly inspiring.
SsDrKosS
Profile Joined March 2013
330 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-17 07:29:40
September 17 2013 07:28 GMT
#15291
On September 17 2013 12:12 Sabu113 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2013 10:58 Thieving Magpie wrote:
On September 17 2013 10:42 MarlieChurphy wrote:
Yea, I think the problem really lies in the unit concept itself. Just think how many iterations they went through before they 'settled' on the current form. They were all pretty bad. The ultimate goal of the unit wasn't to be a staple part of the army, or even a harass potential. It was simply to be a map defense control mechanic for runby and muta repelling etc. A spidermine replacement that worked for air, if you will.

Perhaps they should have an additional timer that doesn't allow them to unburrow before they shoot once, or after X amount of time. That would definitely be a more exciting element for spectators. Or maybe the unit should be moved to some separate building/unit that can only cast out X amount of widow mines at a time (sort of like a nuke silo). It would be neat to see ghosts in armies calling down widow mines or something like that.


The widowmine is problematic not because of its design.

It's essentially the SC2 siege tank minus the drawbacks.

Does it have a blind spot? Nope.
High damage? Yup.
Mobile? Yup.
Cheap? Yup.
Easy to mass? Yes as well.

The "drawback" is it has a shorter range than the tank. But for all the advantages it gains, of course its worth the range loss.

The problem isn't that its a crappy mine, it's that its a good siege tank.


At 125-> 160 against shields and the ability to make Immortals into overpriced paper weights... It arguably does more effective damage as well. Thinking 2 tank volleys til the armies close ? Maybe add another 2 from deeper lying tanks?

It's a silly good siege tank. Probably game from the same geniuses that thought the warhound belongs in a competitive game.


Yeah. WM imba!

They should have given +shield dmg (maybe another research in tech lab?) to seige tank, not Wm. (or buff ghost)
I hope one day blizzard listen
BLIZZARD, PLEASE MAKE WIDOW MINE ATTACK, NON-SPELL (if they have fixed tank)
bo1b
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
Australia12814 Posts
September 17 2013 07:34 GMT
#15292
On September 17 2013 16:01 NarutO wrote:
I hope people realize that current ZvT is demanding, but not imbalanced. While I would like to see a change, I would like to see a change to make the game more entertaining and complex, not because I think something is imbalanced im TvZ. We saw DRG state that control usually decides who wins those battles and while Zerg previously had the option to either not micro at all or micro to some extent / set up flanks, now you have to control your army in fights which is a good thing.

Games that show good control:

Scarlett/Bomber
hyvaa/INnoVation
DRG/INnoVation
Serral/SuperNoVa (partly good control, partly good decisions)

While I believe it should go without saying, I will still point out that people should realize that nerfing the widowmine doesn't go without buffing another aspect of Terran, as tanks would see no midgame timing allowing the Zerg to freely do whatever he wants converting HotS basically back to WoL. In addition, tanks cannot retreat nor move easily on creep, while the widowmine does allow it. Terran does play it, because its the only viable option currently and nerfing it severely will lead to not just Zerg dominace, but utter destruction of Terran. An aspect we never saw the other way around. To proof that point, you can have a look at any TvZ in which the mines didn't detonate as well as they can/should/Terran wants them to and the result often times is a complete destruction of the Terran force and/or retreat with as much as possible. While I feel the widowmines are a good thing "FOR ZERG" as in they increase the skill ceiling and make their engagements harder and more demanding which is good, becuase a good player will always show while a bad player won't I think its bad from a Terran aspect of view. Besides mines being relatively random, I feel targeting with mines is no reliable skill. While there are some Terrans that occasionally (or in INnoVations case often) targets with mines, I still feel it has a tad of randomness in it.

I would love to see something done with the siege tank, but the truth is, the siege tank is very good in TvT and making it better vs Zerg with for example an upgrade that allows movement speed and/or faster siege/unsiege you will effectively make TvT mech a lot stronger. I don't know if that is what Blizzard wants, but that would be my point :x

What in your opinion is the biggest problem with going bio/tank vs Z at the moment?
saddaromma
Profile Joined April 2013
1129 Posts
September 17 2013 07:35 GMT
#15293
On September 17 2013 15:53 Grumbels wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2013 12:11 saddaromma wrote:
@Grumbel, you should also learn to proofread before jumping into bandwagon.

Ironic, since you can't spell my name. I wasn't taking any sides anyway, I was only looking up changes since I figured some people might want to know about them. :o

Ofc, proofreading and spellmistakes are of same importance.

And you actually endured yourself to go and look up mirror balance changes just in case someone is interested, and had no intention of supporting lolfail9001's arguments whatsoever. Nice story.
Big J
Profile Joined March 2011
Austria16289 Posts
September 17 2013 07:36 GMT
#15294
On September 17 2013 16:01 NarutO wrote:
I hope people realize that current ZvT is demanding, but not imbalanced. While I would like to see a change, I would like to see a change to make the game more entertaining and complex, not because I think something is imbalanced im TvZ. We saw DRG state that control usually decides who wins those battles and while Zerg previously had the option to either not micro at all or micro to some extent / set up flanks, now you have to control your army in fights which is a good thing.

Games that show good control:

Scarlett/Bomber
hyvaa/INnoVation
DRG/INnoVation
Serral/SuperNoVa (partly good control, partly good decisions)

While I believe it should go without saying, I will still point out that people should realize that nerfing the widowmine doesn't go without buffing another aspect of Terran, as tanks would see no midgame timing allowing the Zerg to freely do whatever he wants converting HotS basically back to WoL. In addition, tanks cannot retreat nor move easily on creep, while the widowmine does allow it. Terran does play it, because its the only viable option currently and nerfing it severely will lead to not just Zerg dominace, but utter destruction of Terran. An aspect we never saw the other way around. To proof that point, you can have a look at any TvZ in which the mines didn't detonate as well as they can/should/Terran wants them to and the result often times is a complete destruction of the Terran force and/or retreat with as much as possible. While I feel the widowmines are a good thing "FOR ZERG" as in they increase the skill ceiling and make their engagements harder and more demanding which is good, becuase a good player will always show while a bad player won't I think its bad from a Terran aspect of view. Besides mines being relatively random, I feel targeting with mines is no reliable skill. While there are some Terrans that occasionally (or in INnoVations case often) targets with mines, I still feel it has a tad of randomness in it.

I would love to see something done with the siege tank, but the truth is, the siege tank is very good in TvT and making it better vs Zerg with for example an upgrade that allows movement speed and/or faster siege/unsiege you will effectively make TvT mech a lot stronger. I don't know if that is what Blizzard wants, but that would be my point :x


why would anyone nerf the mine. The mine isn't a problem, you can outmicro it, you can just counter it by changing your composition. It's already a bad unit against 90% of the units in the game.

Also I don't think people want siege tanks to behave like 13range mines vs ground.
NarutO
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
Germany18839 Posts
September 17 2013 07:42 GMT
#15295
On September 17 2013 16:34 bo1b wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2013 16:01 NarutO wrote:
I hope people realize that current ZvT is demanding, but not imbalanced. While I would like to see a change, I would like to see a change to make the game more entertaining and complex, not because I think something is imbalanced im TvZ. We saw DRG state that control usually decides who wins those battles and while Zerg previously had the option to either not micro at all or micro to some extent / set up flanks, now you have to control your army in fights which is a good thing.

Games that show good control:

Scarlett/Bomber
hyvaa/INnoVation
DRG/INnoVation
Serral/SuperNoVa (partly good control, partly good decisions)

While I believe it should go without saying, I will still point out that people should realize that nerfing the widowmine doesn't go without buffing another aspect of Terran, as tanks would see no midgame timing allowing the Zerg to freely do whatever he wants converting HotS basically back to WoL. In addition, tanks cannot retreat nor move easily on creep, while the widowmine does allow it. Terran does play it, because its the only viable option currently and nerfing it severely will lead to not just Zerg dominace, but utter destruction of Terran. An aspect we never saw the other way around. To proof that point, you can have a look at any TvZ in which the mines didn't detonate as well as they can/should/Terran wants them to and the result often times is a complete destruction of the Terran force and/or retreat with as much as possible. While I feel the widowmines are a good thing "FOR ZERG" as in they increase the skill ceiling and make their engagements harder and more demanding which is good, becuase a good player will always show while a bad player won't I think its bad from a Terran aspect of view. Besides mines being relatively random, I feel targeting with mines is no reliable skill. While there are some Terrans that occasionally (or in INnoVations case often) targets with mines, I still feel it has a tad of randomness in it.

I would love to see something done with the siege tank, but the truth is, the siege tank is very good in TvT and making it better vs Zerg with for example an upgrade that allows movement speed and/or faster siege/unsiege you will effectively make TvT mech a lot stronger. I don't know if that is what Blizzard wants, but that would be my point :x

What in your opinion is the biggest problem with going bio/tank vs Z at the moment?


You can sustain a higher mutalisk count, because they have high regeneration so a Thor won't scare them away easy nor will marines so they can pick off tanks easily while you push. Other than that, due to higher mutalisk counts (as you will sustain more) the harass will quickly become a problem. Zerg will fly circles around you and your base and while there is no midgame timing with tanks to begin with, you will be even further delayed. Another point would be the transition is a lot better now. While Infestors are weaker overall, ultralisks are insane now. If you would play muta/ling/bane vs bio tank and even assume its WoL status until the new ultralisks are out, the ultralisks will shit all over your marine/tank army. Its not even a competition.

So... those are the concerns and the reason we don't see muta/ling/bane. Zerg will have 4 base saturated before you even move out and potentially hive at 12 again.
CommentatorPolt | MMA | Jjakji | BoxeR | NaDa | MVP | MKP ... truly inspiring.
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
September 17 2013 07:47 GMT
#15296
On September 17 2013 16:35 saddaromma wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2013 15:53 Grumbels wrote:
On September 17 2013 12:11 saddaromma wrote:
@Grumbel, you should also learn to proofread before jumping into bandwagon.

Ironic, since you can't spell my name. I wasn't taking any sides anyway, I was only looking up changes since I figured some people might want to know about them. :o

Ofc, proofreading and spellmistakes are of same importance.

And you actually endured yourself to go and look up mirror balance changes just in case someone is interested, and had no intention of supporting lolfail9001's arguments whatsoever. Nice story.

...regardless of whatever argument you had with him, I think the question of whether Blizzard targets mirror match-ups for patch changes is interesting, I figured it was worthwhile enough to make a post about.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
saddaromma
Profile Joined April 2013
1129 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-17 07:50:26
September 17 2013 07:48 GMT
#15297
On September 17 2013 16:36 Big J wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2013 16:01 NarutO wrote:
I hope people realize that current ZvT is demanding, but not imbalanced. While I would like to see a change, I would like to see a change to make the game more entertaining and complex, not because I think something is imbalanced im TvZ. We saw DRG state that control usually decides who wins those battles and while Zerg previously had the option to either not micro at all or micro to some extent / set up flanks, now you have to control your army in fights which is a good thing.

Games that show good control:

Scarlett/Bomber
hyvaa/INnoVation
DRG/INnoVation
Serral/SuperNoVa (partly good control, partly good decisions)

While I believe it should go without saying, I will still point out that people should realize that nerfing the widowmine doesn't go without buffing another aspect of Terran, as tanks would see no midgame timing allowing the Zerg to freely do whatever he wants converting HotS basically back to WoL. In addition, tanks cannot retreat nor move easily on creep, while the widowmine does allow it. Terran does play it, because its the only viable option currently and nerfing it severely will lead to not just Zerg dominace, but utter destruction of Terran. An aspect we never saw the other way around. To proof that point, you can have a look at any TvZ in which the mines didn't detonate as well as they can/should/Terran wants them to and the result often times is a complete destruction of the Terran force and/or retreat with as much as possible. While I feel the widowmines are a good thing "FOR ZERG" as in they increase the skill ceiling and make their engagements harder and more demanding which is good, becuase a good player will always show while a bad player won't I think its bad from a Terran aspect of view. Besides mines being relatively random, I feel targeting with mines is no reliable skill. While there are some Terrans that occasionally (or in INnoVations case often) targets with mines, I still feel it has a tad of randomness in it.

I would love to see something done with the siege tank, but the truth is, the siege tank is very good in TvT and making it better vs Zerg with for example an upgrade that allows movement speed and/or faster siege/unsiege you will effectively make TvT mech a lot stronger. I don't know if that is what Blizzard wants, but that would be my point :x


why would anyone nerf the mine. The mine isn't a problem, you can outmicro it, you can just counter it by changing your composition. It's already a bad unit against 90% of the units in the game.

Also I don't think people want siege tanks to behave like 13range mines vs ground.

Actually widow mine is one the best things blizzard came up since WoL beta. And needs to be preserved as it is. It provides mechanics that sc2 desperately needs: antideathball, defender advantage and unmassable.
Imo the biggest problem of tvz are banelings. They're too effective on low levels, but cost-ineffective at pro level. They do their job, but its mostly trade of gas for minerals. I think blizzard needs to deviate some aoe power from banelings to fungals. Maybe add +bio damage to fungals?
NarutO
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
Germany18839 Posts
September 17 2013 07:52 GMT
#15298
Are you serious? Banelings are exactly what you said about the widowmine. They are anti-death-ball as you need to split against them and increase skill ceiling for Terran. You can instantly tell the difference between a grandmaster and a good progamer, hell even between progamers there is a huge difference in ability to split fast and how well. Banelings are cost-inefficient when the Terran playes well.

Low-Level is no concern, low-level players always lose due to crucial mistakes that can be fixed, if you would balance a game around that level, you might as well have the units autosplit and automatically build supply depots / overlords / pylons.

Additionally: widowmines are massable but I am not sure how clever it is to mass them. Depending on the army of the opponent, 15 widowmines for example are 30 supply and once the shots are gone, you better hope they hit hard otherwise you have 30 supply that is useless for the next 40 seconds
CommentatorPolt | MMA | Jjakji | BoxeR | NaDa | MVP | MKP ... truly inspiring.
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12889 Posts
September 17 2013 07:53 GMT
#15299
On September 17 2013 16:42 NarutO wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2013 16:34 bo1b wrote:
On September 17 2013 16:01 NarutO wrote:
I hope people realize that current ZvT is demanding, but not imbalanced. While I would like to see a change, I would like to see a change to make the game more entertaining and complex, not because I think something is imbalanced im TvZ. We saw DRG state that control usually decides who wins those battles and while Zerg previously had the option to either not micro at all or micro to some extent / set up flanks, now you have to control your army in fights which is a good thing.

Games that show good control:

Scarlett/Bomber
hyvaa/INnoVation
DRG/INnoVation
Serral/SuperNoVa (partly good control, partly good decisions)

While I believe it should go without saying, I will still point out that people should realize that nerfing the widowmine doesn't go without buffing another aspect of Terran, as tanks would see no midgame timing allowing the Zerg to freely do whatever he wants converting HotS basically back to WoL. In addition, tanks cannot retreat nor move easily on creep, while the widowmine does allow it. Terran does play it, because its the only viable option currently and nerfing it severely will lead to not just Zerg dominace, but utter destruction of Terran. An aspect we never saw the other way around. To proof that point, you can have a look at any TvZ in which the mines didn't detonate as well as they can/should/Terran wants them to and the result often times is a complete destruction of the Terran force and/or retreat with as much as possible. While I feel the widowmines are a good thing "FOR ZERG" as in they increase the skill ceiling and make their engagements harder and more demanding which is good, becuase a good player will always show while a bad player won't I think its bad from a Terran aspect of view. Besides mines being relatively random, I feel targeting with mines is no reliable skill. While there are some Terrans that occasionally (or in INnoVations case often) targets with mines, I still feel it has a tad of randomness in it.

I would love to see something done with the siege tank, but the truth is, the siege tank is very good in TvT and making it better vs Zerg with for example an upgrade that allows movement speed and/or faster siege/unsiege you will effectively make TvT mech a lot stronger. I don't know if that is what Blizzard wants, but that would be my point :x

What in your opinion is the biggest problem with going bio/tank vs Z at the moment?


You can sustain a higher mutalisk count, because they have high regeneration so a Thor won't scare them away easy nor will marines so they can pick off tanks easily while you push. Other than that, due to higher mutalisk counts (as you will sustain more) the harass will quickly become a problem. Zerg will fly circles around you and your base and while there is no midgame timing with tanks to begin with, you will be even further delayed. Another point would be the transition is a lot better now. While Infestors are weaker overall, ultralisks are insane now. If you would play muta/ling/bane vs bio tank and even assume its WoL status until the new ultralisks are out, the ultralisks will shit all over your marine/tank army. Its not even a competition.

So... those are the concerns and the reason we don't see muta/ling/bane. Zerg will have 4 base saturated before you even move out and potentially hive at 12 again.

honestly I feel hots design just messed up the game.
Instead of making both bio tank, bio mine and tank with mine support etc viable, they tried to make bio mine the dominate style.
the mine and medivac boost lead to muta increase in speed and regen to fight even.
but leads to muta becomes too good against bio tank
bio mine itself becomes way better than other two strategies.

This makes blizzard not able to change anything about the mine or they would have to change it for muta too which then affects ZvP by a large margin since tech switch is key in zvp for hots now
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
Destructicon
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
4713 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-17 07:55:11
September 17 2013 07:53 GMT
#15300
On September 17 2013 16:34 bo1b wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2013 16:01 NarutO wrote:
I hope people realize that current ZvT is demanding, but not imbalanced. While I would like to see a change, I would like to see a change to make the game more entertaining and complex, not because I think something is imbalanced im TvZ. We saw DRG state that control usually decides who wins those battles and while Zerg previously had the option to either not micro at all or micro to some extent / set up flanks, now you have to control your army in fights which is a good thing.

Games that show good control:

Scarlett/Bomber
hyvaa/INnoVation
DRG/INnoVation
Serral/SuperNoVa (partly good control, partly good decisions)

While I believe it should go without saying, I will still point out that people should realize that nerfing the widowmine doesn't go without buffing another aspect of Terran, as tanks would see no midgame timing allowing the Zerg to freely do whatever he wants converting HotS basically back to WoL. In addition, tanks cannot retreat nor move easily on creep, while the widowmine does allow it. Terran does play it, because its the only viable option currently and nerfing it severely will lead to not just Zerg dominace, but utter destruction of Terran. An aspect we never saw the other way around. To proof that point, you can have a look at any TvZ in which the mines didn't detonate as well as they can/should/Terran wants them to and the result often times is a complete destruction of the Terran force and/or retreat with as much as possible. While I feel the widowmines are a good thing "FOR ZERG" as in they increase the skill ceiling and make their engagements harder and more demanding which is good, becuase a good player will always show while a bad player won't I think its bad from a Terran aspect of view. Besides mines being relatively random, I feel targeting with mines is no reliable skill. While there are some Terrans that occasionally (or in INnoVations case often) targets with mines, I still feel it has a tad of randomness in it.

I would love to see something done with the siege tank, but the truth is, the siege tank is very good in TvT and making it better vs Zerg with for example an upgrade that allows movement speed and/or faster siege/unsiege you will effectively make TvT mech a lot stronger. I don't know if that is what Blizzard wants, but that would be my point :x

What in your opinion is the biggest problem with going bio/tank vs Z at the moment?


Oh that's easy, its that tanks are not cost efficient enough any more, they are too immobile and thus, too easy for the zerg with his new mutalisks, to just be picked off. Also, to make tanks cost efficient you need to spread them out, but the more spread out they are the easier they also are to be picked off, which make bio tank disproportional more hard to use for the amount of damage they can deal and for the amount of retention.

Tanks are easier to engage as well, its much easier to just send in small packs of lings to pick off lone tanks, you can't send off small packs of lings to pick off a mine, you either first diffuse it, which means sacking a large number of lings, or flying in with mutas and overseers and sniping them before they go off, which costs a lot of APM to pull off correctly.

Lastly tanks don't require overseers to kill, which means zerg can invest even more gas into upgrades or teching or banes or mutas.

Edit: I also dare say that, now with how mutalisks have become so much stronger in combat as well, due to their regeneration, WM are even more vital because they do damage to them and they make it easier for your marines to snipe them, tanks don't do that either.
WriterNever give up, never surrender! https://www.youtube.com/user/DestructiconSC
Prev 1 763 764 765 766 767 1266 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 38m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4782
Shuttle 1863
Leta 1723
BeSt 424
Soma 170
Soulkey 135
sorry 57
ZergMaN 36
Shine 23
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm189
League of Legends
JimRising 600
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King60
Other Games
summit1g7521
WinterStarcraft742
Sick230
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV214
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Sammyuel 29
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2305
League of Legends
• Rush1314
• Lourlo1135
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2h 38m
Patches Events
7h 38m
BSL Open Qualifier
11h 38m
BSL Open Qualifier
11h 38m
OSC
15h 38m
OSC
1d 4h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.