• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:58
CEST 13:58
KST 20:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7544 users

A future direction for eSports. - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 Next All
k!llua
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Australia895 Posts
July 22 2011 03:50 GMT
#21
On July 22 2011 12:46 moltenlead wrote:
I really liked the OP. It conveyed exactly what I wanted to in the other thread, but a lot more concretely.

I don't know if the part about screwing over the people is as appropriate to the discussion as it could be. There is no system afaik to stop football players from getting washed up if they can't make the big leagues. They use their talents (physical fitness) to do some other jobs such as construction. They aren't earning $300,000 dollars a week, but they will survive.

It's the same thing I think needs to happen here. Players need to have something to fall back on if their dream doesn't come true, which is more than possible. From what I see, many of these players have or are in the process of obtaining university degrees. It is this that I believe would help make a sustainable scene.


The players' associations in football run courses so that players can develop skills they can use in another trade after their career ends. The UEFA Pro licence, for example, is something players can do during their career so they have another job to transition into (even if it's not much of a *job*). That's kind of what I was thinking for eSports, but maybe at a later stage in its evolution when there is a much more stable environment that pro-gamers can transition into. Writing/journalism is probably the most obvious angle.
my hair is a wookie, your argument is invalid
Turbo.Tactics
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany675 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-22 03:53:55
July 22 2011 03:53 GMT
#22
So the proper reaction for Korea would be KESPA 2.0 . Easiest way to save their players from "evil foreigners stealing their players and disrespecting their culture", also killing international Esports and denying foreign talent to benefit from korean players. Winter is coming...
Zerg - because Browders sons hate 'em
Nerski
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States1095 Posts
July 22 2011 03:55 GMT
#23
While I get the idea behind your article, I have to disagree with their even needing to be a globalized version of KeSPA or something. Even KeSPA itself at many times has come under fire as being unfair to players.

Players should have contracts and that should be more then enough. If they are contracted to play for the team standard work laws for w/e country they are in should apply. Then you're covered, past that we don't need a net for them if they fail or anything like that. Any player knows the risks when they put all their hopes and dreams into being a professional in a sport that is in it's infancy. Not even professional sports players have a crutch if they go out their first season and get cut for poor performance they are just as much out on the street as anyone else.

The individual makes that choice and takes that risk and that's the way it should be. Everyone has contracts people make their own choices and the world is fine.
Twitter: @GoForNerski /// Youtube: Youtube.com/nerskisc
k!llua
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Australia895 Posts
July 22 2011 04:01 GMT
#24
On July 22 2011 12:55 Nerski wrote:
While I get the idea behind your article, I have to disagree with their even needing to be a globalized version of KeSPA or something. Even KeSPA itself at many times has come under fire as being unfair to players.


That's the opposite of what I advocated.
my hair is a wookie, your argument is invalid
hybersnack
Profile Joined November 2010
Denmark9 Posts
July 22 2011 04:02 GMT
#25
I agree with completely with this post. It would be nice if the world of sc2 could just get along and agree on everything, but that is just not going to happen. What we all want is for sc2 to grow and become a big sport, and as it grows it becomes a business. It is time we grew up and faced the facts about the eSports world we all want to see.

Good post, and as a side note: Thanks to Alex Garfield and Milkis for the interesting discussion on Weapon of choice today.
"I am the hammer, i am the right hand of my emperor, the instrument of his will, the tip of his spear, the edge of his sword" -Grey Knight battle chant.
windsupernova
Profile Joined October 2010
Mexico5280 Posts
July 22 2011 04:03 GMT
#26
Don´t try to be a cracked writer ....

And really the whole puma incident wasn´t that such a big deal. And really, by the time I got to people being ¨butthurt¨ about Puma´s transfer(not many were, what many people complained is that EG was... too aggressive with their recruiting, which again its not a big deal) you hurt your credibility a lot.

You also mention that the Korean scene is not regulated when it is waay more regulated than the foreigner scene(not as regulated as the BW scene) as it has an association meant to protect the players, which from what I know the foreigner scene doesn´t have.

I agree in that w worldwide e-sports organization is a far off dream atm, and I don´t really see it becoming a reality in the inmediate future. Of course this can and will happen if e-sports reach a point where it becomes more mainstream. I wouldnt discount it, but yeah so far chances that something like that will emerge are pretty slim.

No comments on the defamation thing. I mainly agree.It was on EGs court to respond to the allegations.

As for the last part I will be honest, and I know I may get a lot of hate from this comment.. but e-sports as far as all the hype we on Tl have for it its still a small small market so I think you are getting ahead of yourself. But it has some fair points.

Anyways, I will commend you for your effort on writing this, you make some good points and some assumptions about the whole thing.

Also, while I may seem like a party pooper, I think your Points could have been said in half the words you used. There is no shame in a more simple and concise (you also won´t get tl:dr as much) post, because as I read all of that you just included a lot of .. fluff.

Anyways, while I agree with some of your points I think you are making out more of this whole incident than what it was.But I guess we will see

"Its easy, just trust your CPU".-Boxer on being good at games
Krehlmar
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden1149 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-22 04:05:16
July 22 2011 04:03 GMT
#27
Explain it as whatever you want.


It was still subvert and wrong morally, "business", "Dog eat dog" and "Survival of the fittest" can go fuck itself, I don't like it and I don't care what explanation you'd give us.

If that is what you'd like eSports to become I don't want any part of it, nor do I want to spend any money on that.


Yes there needs to be a better standard, yes there needs to be contracts.
But I will never think what EG did was anything but sneaky and underhanded.
My Comment Doesnt Matter Because No One Reads It
EchoZ
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Japan5041 Posts
July 22 2011 04:04 GMT
#28
I only wish for a legit transfer market, players can only represent their teams/co-teams and a more talkative "sc2 player association".

But nice writeup, how long did you take?
Dear Sixsmith...
aFganFlyTrap
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia212 Posts
July 22 2011 04:05 GMT
#29
interesting read dippa
Dox
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Australia1199 Posts
July 22 2011 04:05 GMT
#30
On July 22 2011 13:03 Krehlmar wrote:
Explain it as whatever you want.


It was still subvert and wrong morally, "business", "Dog eat dog" and "Survival of the fittest" can go fuck itself, I don't like it and I don't care what explanation you'd give us.

If that is what you'd like eSports to become I don't want any part of it, nor do I want to spend any money on that.


Yes there needs to be a better standard, yes there needs to be contracts.
But I will never think what EG did was anything but sneaky and underhanded.

This post really came out of nowhere...

Nice article dippa!
@NvDox | Plantronics Nv: Rossi . mOOnGLaDe . deth . JazBas | @NvSC2 | @NvCoD | @NvLeague | @NvHearthstone | @NvDotA2 | @PLT_MF
Maynarde
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia1286 Posts
July 22 2011 04:09 GMT
#31
On July 22 2011 13:03 Krehlmar wrote:
Explain it as whatever you want.


It was still subvert and wrong morally, "business", "Dog eat dog" and "Survival of the fittest" can go fuck itself, I don't like it and I don't care what explanation you'd give us.

If that is what you'd like eSports to become I don't want any part of it, nor do I want to spend any money on that.


Yes there needs to be a better standard, yes there needs to be contracts.
But I will never think what EG did was anything but sneaky and underhanded.


This is the nature of the business world mate, and eSports (to sponsors, players and teams) is a business at the professional level. You got your opinions and they're clearly very strong, but reality comes in eventually.

Excellent article dippa, look forward to more from you.
CommentatorAustralian SC2 Caster | Twitter: @MaynardeSC2 | Twitch: twitch.tv/maynarde
PHC
Profile Joined March 2011
United States472 Posts
July 22 2011 04:09 GMT
#32
On July 22 2011 12:30 Invoker wrote:
I like Koreans a lot.
And I respect their culture and customs without holding any preconceived notions of how they should act.

Show nested quote +
On July 22 2011 12:03 k!llua wrote:
Anything purporting to be "professional" cannot exist on a system of handshakes and verbal agreements.


But I also completely agree with this quote. This is what every employer should know.



The biggest issue that needs to be addressed, which Milkis touched on, was that right now in 2011, is similar to what KeSPA did in the BW scene in 2003. They wanted to provide contracts for the players.

But look where they are now - KeSPA has an iron-grip on the players & coaches to almost slave like conditions in their contracts and a free agency where the pro is stripped of his license if the deal falls through.

When Koreans decided to form a player's association for SC2, it was huge precedence - they elected a member/player/coach to represent the players' own interests.

It is well documented that SC2 is not thriving in a BW-dominated Korea (with teams like fOu struggling "to find their next meal" according to FXOBoSs), and the teams have a collected mentality that they will get the big sponsors in due time.

If what Coach Lee has said is true, then what EG has essentially done is force the SC2 Players Association to have contracts (things the Korean SC2 proteams wanted to avoid due to KeSPA-like conditions) this early in the growth of the Korean SC2 scene. And if history repeats itself the Player's Association for SC2 will become KeSPA 2.

"Worst" case scenario is, which is relative depending on the viewpoint, is that the majority of Korean SC2 Pros get contracted by foreign teams. This could very well snowball into Korean SC2 Teams disappearing due to lack of players, which means less viewers for GSL, which means GSL/GSTL disappears due to lack of money/interest, which ultimately will lead to a nonexistent SC2 scene in Korea and Brood War lives on.

Perhaps I am completely off on my assessment of the situation, but as a longtime Brood War fan that followed the Korean ESPORTS scene, am I being overly paranoid or is there at least some cause for concern for the dark path this is leading the Koreans?


windsupernova
Profile Joined October 2010
Mexico5280 Posts
July 22 2011 04:10 GMT
#33
On July 22 2011 12:53 Turbo.Tactics wrote:
So the proper reaction for Korea would be KESPA 2.0 . Easiest way to save their players from "evil foreigners stealing their players and disrespecting their culture", also killing international Esports and denying foreign talent to benefit from korean players. Winter is coming...


Oh don´t be so overmelodramatic. If something like this kills international e-sports then it wasn´t standing too strong anyways. And well, before we start saying stuff like this we should wait until things calm down and see what koreans do
"Its easy, just trust your CPU".-Boxer on being good at games
LeFroMaGe
Profile Joined October 2010
United States628 Posts
July 22 2011 04:12 GMT
#34
On July 22 2011 12:42 [Atomic]Peace wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2011 12:34 Milkis wrote:
I think one of the points I really failed to bring out was that it *is* unprofessional for SC2 in Korea to not have contracts. I just wanted to provide the background on why that was the case, and I guess it didn't go through very well. In no way does the Koreans do not want contracts -- this is what they want to aim for as the SC2 scene grows.

So I do apologize for butchering that. Very, Very, badly.

You went up against a guy that has professional PR as part of his job. And yes, what usually happens when a professional goes up against an amateur happened. I wouldn't even give it a second thought. The community's view of you hasn't changed.

I can second that, you represented the Korean's cultural side of things just fine!
Ishnalade
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada22 Posts
July 22 2011 04:13 GMT
#35
Thank you for this course in "buisness in e-sports" and "how to do modern PR".

This story shows pretty much what happens in a buisness environment without some form of regulation to enforce some kind of fair play.

From what I understood, from a buisness standpoint EG was in their right to approach Puma and make an offer. Was it "honorable" to approach withtout talking to the team ? No, but then again, how many players had been approached by other teams before Puma and that we don't ( and probably never will ) know about ?

EG messed up on the PR side by not preparing in advance a statement in case the story would ( and usually will ) break out in order to make their stance clear. The quantas case is one of the best cases that demonstrate what happens.


For the media case, some professionnal media companies are usually bound to a "journalism council" that sets rules in order to enforce neutrality and verifiable facts in the stories that are published.

Community sites are not bound to such boundaries, the role of enforcing quality journalism in this case is usually managed by either an Head Editor ( or group of senior editors ) or the community itself. And with the speed news come and go on the internet. Its not uncommon to see stories that pop up and get updated when extra information comes in. In that situation, I believe Milkis did a good job in updating as soon as the info was available.

Maybe a recommandation when a similar story would be held is to specify at the end of the article a note saying that : "more info is to come as x and y have been requested for comment " so that ppl dont jump to conclusions too quickly
Krehlmar
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden1149 Posts
July 22 2011 04:15 GMT
#36
On July 22 2011 13:09 Maynarde wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2011 13:03 Krehlmar wrote:
Explain it as whatever you want.


It was still subvert and wrong morally, "business", "Dog eat dog" and "Survival of the fittest" can go fuck itself, I don't like it and I don't care what explanation you'd give us.

If that is what you'd like eSports to become I don't want any part of it, nor do I want to spend any money on that.


Yes there needs to be a better standard, yes there needs to be contracts.
But I will never think what EG did was anything but sneaky and underhanded.


This is the nature of the business world mate, and eSports (to sponsors, players and teams) is a business at the professional level. You got your opinions and they're clearly very strong, but reality comes in eventually.


Not at all, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapping_up

What went on here, if it is as claimed (EG approached Puma directly), would result in fines and bans of various sorts in other sports. If you think it's acceptable, then what do you think of rules against such actions in other (professional) sports?

It's just wrong. Nothing to it.
I'm just tired of people defending the moral demise of eSports... what happend to all this talk about "The greatest community!" and all that? There was no honour in this.


Also saying it is bullshit and morally faux does not mean I'm saying it was stupid or un-economical. I just think it was wrong and evidently the law does aswell.
My Comment Doesnt Matter Because No One Reads It
windsupernova
Profile Joined October 2010
Mexico5280 Posts
July 22 2011 04:18 GMT
#37
On July 22 2011 13:09 Maynarde wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2011 13:03 Krehlmar wrote:
Explain it as whatever you want.


It was still subvert and wrong morally, "business", "Dog eat dog" and "Survival of the fittest" can go fuck itself, I don't like it and I don't care what explanation you'd give us.

If that is what you'd like eSports to become I don't want any part of it, nor do I want to spend any money on that.


Yes there needs to be a better standard, yes there needs to be contracts.
But I will never think what EG did was anything but sneaky and underhanded.


This is the nature of the business world mate, and eSports (to sponsors, players and teams) is a business at the professional level. You got your opinions and they're clearly very strong, but reality comes in eventually.

Excellent article dippa, look forward to more from you.


Well the thing is that those guys make business off us so yeah while you are right that business are sometimes ruthless deals, that doesn´t mean we have to shrug it off just because its ¨business¨.

LOL, I still think it was a dick move but overall people are acting as if EG had commited genocide or something, my guess is that had EG contacted TSL they wouldn´t have had any problem with them getting Puma(in the end this was a decision from Puma).

But I don´t really like the ¨its the way it is, either take it or leave it¨ attitude that some people have shown.

In the end, I think both sides screwed up in some way.
"Its easy, just trust your CPU".-Boxer on being good at games
Tehs Tehklz
Profile Joined July 2011
United States330 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-22 04:18:55
July 22 2011 04:18 GMT
#38
On July 22 2011 13:09 Maynarde wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2011 13:03 Krehlmar wrote:
Explain it as whatever you want.


It was still subvert and wrong morally, "business", "Dog eat dog" and "Survival of the fittest" can go fuck itself, I don't like it and I don't care what explanation you'd give us.

If that is what you'd like eSports to become I don't want any part of it, nor do I want to spend any money on that.


Yes there needs to be a better standard, yes there needs to be contracts.
But I will never think what EG did was anything but sneaky and underhanded.


This is the nature of the business world mate, and eSports (to sponsors, players and teams) is a business at the professional level. You got your opinions and they're clearly very strong, but reality comes in eventually.

Excellent article dippa, look forward to more from you.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapping_up

This is pretty much exactly what happened and most professional sports leagues don't allow it.

EDIT: Beat to the punch!
Foooky
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Australia205 Posts
July 22 2011 04:19 GMT
#39
Nice article, it does seem like contracts are the way of the future after reading this and listening to woc.
Haydin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States1481 Posts
July 22 2011 04:21 GMT
#40
Really great article. It's nice to see something focused on the practical reality of this situation instead of more drama.
aka ilovesharkpeople
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 912
WardiTV408
OGKoka 186
Rex129
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko365
mouzHeroMarine 297
OGKoka 186
Rex 129
ProTech121
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2646
Horang2 1418
Larva 1220
EffOrt 922
BeSt 634
Soma 413
Hyuk 339
Mini 282
Stork 197
ZerO 190
[ Show more ]
Light 177
Rush 171
ggaemo 139
Zeus 130
Barracks 115
Killer 90
Hyun 88
Sea.KH 38
Shinee 35
Bale 33
ToSsGirL 31
Yoon 28
Mong 26
sorry 23
Aegong 20
PianO 19
soO 19
ajuk12(nOOB) 14
Sacsri 14
zelot 11
Sexy 10
HiyA 9
Noble 8
Dota 2
Dendi1342
BananaSlamJamma135
League of Legends
KnowMe33
Counter-Strike
byalli802
x6flipin413
Other Games
singsing2487
olofmeister1589
XaKoH 276
crisheroes265
Sick222
Pyrionflax190
B2W.Neo143
ArmadaUGS65
Mew2King45
ZerO(Twitch)5
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream525
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 10
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH305
• StrangeGG 28
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1698
Other Games
• WagamamaTV229
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
4h 2m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
22h 2m
Afreeca Starleague
22h 2m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 12h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 23h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.