• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:52
CEST 22:52
KST 05:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12741 users

e-Sports News Piece feat. MLG Columbus - Page 4

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 All
etherwar
Profile Joined December 2010
United States45 Posts
June 17 2011 17:37 GMT
#61
First off, excellent work.

Starting at the Losira interview, the audio transitions begin to get a little "choppy", or jarring. I realize that you're making cuts between more quiet-background noise interviews to loud-background noise B-roll, so it's difficult to get smooth transitions here (believe me, I get it).

Did you use audio gain transitions? That might smooth it out a little bit. If you did, I would consider adding some of your b-roll audio to the clips with soft background noise. I would also consider using a continual B-Roll audio selection for all of your B-Roll clips that are in a row.

Imho, it "smooths" the transitions very well when you're using clips that have a large amount of background noise. It looks great overall from an editing standpoint. This is just a small "finishing touch" suggestion.

Personally, I think you sound a bit disinterested in the narration, which makes the whole story a bit boring, but ymmv.

To summarize: really take a look at your audio transitions and see if you can't smooth some of the "jarring" audio cuts, I would consider (if possible) redoing the voice-over with a little bit more enthusiasm.

Good luck, and what a great project to work on for class!
"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire." -Ferdinand Foch
ZerOsAndOnEs
Profile Joined July 2010
United States64 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-17 18:11:09
June 17 2011 18:08 GMT
#62
On June 18 2011 02:37 etherwar wrote:
First off, excellent work.

Starting at the Losira interview, the audio transitions begin to get a little "choppy", or jarring. I realize that you're making cuts between more quiet-background noise interviews to loud-background noise B-roll, so it's difficult to get smooth transitions here (believe me, I get it).

Did you use audio gain transitions? That might smooth it out a little bit. If you did, I would consider adding some of your b-roll audio to the clips with soft background noise. I would also consider using a continual B-Roll audio selection for all of your B-Roll clips that are in a row.

Imho, it "smooths" the transitions very well when you're using clips that have a large amount of background noise. It looks great overall from an editing standpoint. This is just a small "finishing touch" suggestion.

Personally, I think you sound a bit disinterested in the narration, which makes the whole story a bit boring, but ymmv.

To summarize: really take a look at your audio transitions and see if you can't smooth some of the "jarring" audio cuts, I would consider (if possible) redoing the voice-over with a little bit more enthusiasm.

Good luck, and what a great project to work on for class!


Awesome, Thanks for the feedback! This was a rough edit for the deadline and was approved. One thing with news pieces, I wanted to keep it fairly raw without any crazy cross fades or video transitions for the show. Now if I was told it would be a feature piece for the news cast I would have gone all out on it. From my understanding, most news stories are whipped up on the fly and some even have to be cut in under 15 minutes to make air time! So the raw continuity between stories from the viewers eye is on the fly'ish if you understand what I mean.

Aside from that, I am going to go back into the studio and will take all the suggestions into consideration, finalize it as if it were the feature piece. With the abrupt endings a couple of them I actually had to use the same end word from another part of the interview because the original last word was melded with the beginning of their next sentence (like the me that was cut off it originally sounded like me-i with the e being cut off into the I from the next sentence). I think there is a quick way in Audition or Protools to manipulate the speech or copy paste paste and crossfade the very end to make it a more natural transition.

With the V/O I think I tried to keep it fairly serious. I am not much of a character so I will admit it was tricky and took quite a few different takes. Another thing is practice, its only a 16 week school with a ton of cramming and not a whole lot of graded projects such as this. Luckily once you are alumni you can use the studios and retake the coarse for free forever! After all the cramming I have a ton of plans including an e-Sports TV show when they launch their "All Noise Television". Here is the site for "All Noise Radio". http://www.allnoiseradio.com/ to give you an idea of how the show will work.

I like your idea and agree with the nat sound of the b-roll.
All the feedback is greatly appreciated, Thanks!
ckunkel1
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States181 Posts
June 17 2011 18:11 GMT
#63
Nice segment, hope you received an A!
Engore
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States1916 Posts
June 17 2011 18:33 GMT
#64
Nice work! It was pretty sweet. Hope you keep it up and grats on getting close to graduating
EG | Liquid | Dignitas | FXO | SlayerS | TSL | iS | Fan of pretty much all players ^_^ | SeleCT <3 forever! Axslav <3
Caphe
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Vietnam10817 Posts
June 17 2011 19:06 GMT
#65
Nice work man, I would totally want to listen to this news on TV :D. And yeah Torch made some very good point there.
Now that I think off, I've never heard of pro Korean SC players giving lesson ever. O_O
Terran
hatespam
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Romania161 Posts
June 17 2011 20:09 GMT
#66
really nice, but you don't seem to excited
ask, and you shall have asked
etherwar
Profile Joined December 2010
United States45 Posts
June 17 2011 20:31 GMT
#67
On June 18 2011 03:08 ZerOsAndOnEs wrote:
With the abrupt endings a couple of them I actually had to use the same end word from another part of the interview because the original last word was melded with the beginning of their next sentence (like the me that was cut off it originally sounded like me-i with the e being cut off into the I from the next sentence). I think there is a quick way in Audition or Protools to manipulate the speech or copy paste paste and crossfade the very end to make it a more natural transition.


Very good job with this, I didn't even realize ... And hacks like this are what make working in a newsroom fun

On June 18 2011 03:08 ZerOsAndOnEs wrote:
With the V/O I think I tried to keep it fairly serious. I am not much of a character so I will admit it was tricky and took quite a few different takes. Another thing is practice, its only a 16 week school with a ton of cramming and not a whole lot of graded projects such as this. Luckily once you are alumni you can use the studios and retake the coarse for free forever! After all the cramming I have a ton of plans including an e-Sports TV show when they launch their "All Noise Television". Here is the site for "All Noise Radio". http://www.allnoiseradio.com/ to give you an idea of how the show will work.


I dislike VO and find it's annoying and difficult, especially if you're not practiced doing it so I sympathize with you here. However, it's also extremely important. If you listen to the news on television, you have heard how they seem to strike the right chord between disinterested/objective and whatever other "appropriate" emotion that the story would invoke. This allows them to maintain their objective demeanor and yet not come off as robotic or boring... tiny changes in inflection are usually all that's necessary.

Also, I said before that the VO made the report sound "boring" and I want to clarify that a bit. To someone that is interested in SC2/Esports, this does not sound "boring", but from the perspective of someone who is just watching the news, I believe this would be the reaction. So it's just my perception and assumption that a layperson would listen to it thinking "yawn". Small changes in the inflection that you use with your VO and the overall content that you present in the VO may help here (or you may decide you've made the correct decision and hit the right amount of seriousness that you desire). A big part of news nowadays is entertainment, after all

Once again, I feel like I'm treading a thin line here and want to emphasize that I'm not hating on what you have, and I'm not trying to be insulting (my apologies if it comes off that way). I'm just trying to provide useful feedback You've got a great product here already, and if I was in your shoes I would be very tempted to call it finished.
"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire." -Ferdinand Foch
ThePrince
Profile Joined October 2010
Peru331 Posts
June 17 2011 20:38 GMT
#68

Nice! I really liked your segment! Post more plz.
SK_MC, ST_Parting, STX_Bogus fighting!!! Colossi should shoot nukes and blink.
Cow
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada1104 Posts
June 17 2011 21:51 GMT
#69
You have a great voice for this kind of stuff! Really liked how much you packed into 90 seconds, good stuff (:
R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
LostBLuE
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada188 Posts
June 17 2011 22:30 GMT
#70
man that was cool, good job.
TLO " Well Sjow, it's almost the same prize for 2nd place " Sjow " I know, but it's more about the honor... -_- " TLO " All I care about is the honor "
xguyx
Profile Joined February 2011
United States124 Posts
June 17 2011 22:35 GMT
#71
yay connecticut
It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell. -Buddha
Stijx
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States804 Posts
June 17 2011 23:06 GMT
#72
That was great dude, nice job with getting interviews, and I'd love to see some shows longer than 90 seconds
rewired
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada630 Posts
June 18 2011 03:34 GMT
#73
Absolutely awesome, Actually felt like I was watching the news maybe a quick cut of the crowd chanting MMA to show how passionate people really were there too would be great.

All around a very cool piece of work and even cooler that your instructors supported the idea of you doing it.
The road isn't always straight.
JustPassingBy
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
10776 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-19 20:59:55
June 19 2011 20:59 GMT
#74
MLG being the biggest "esport pro-circut"? What other "esport pro-circuts" are there anyways?
If you talk about any form of recurring tournaments, the GSL is the one on the top.

Apart from that, it was a good article.
ZerOsAndOnEs
Profile Joined July 2010
United States64 Posts
June 19 2011 21:16 GMT
#75
On June 20 2011 05:59 JustPassingBy wrote:
MLG being the biggest "esport pro-circut"? What other "esport pro-circuts" are there anyways?
If you talk about any form of recurring tournaments, the GSL is the one on the top.

Apart from that, it was a good article.


Hmm, I only voiced the facts that I received by email via MLG staff. It added a ring to the end so I used it. And GSL is a "Star League", no? I know its all fancy ways of saying tournament. Its like saying Burger King is the largest "Flame Broiled" fast food joint in the world when we all know McDonald's is the largest fast food joint, when you add specifics things change.

When I look at it myself I agree with the statement used. GSL is held in 1 spot over a month long season, MLG travels throughout North America, holding weekend long events, classifying it as a true "Pro Circuit".

Thanks for swinging through!
Ownos
Profile Joined July 2010
United States2147 Posts
June 20 2011 00:40 GMT
#76
"Players have even more avenues for generating income"

*cue Torch bashing NA players for not focusing on skills as a player and doing shows instead*

Haha I thought that was too funny
...deeper and deeper into the bowels of El Diablo
ZerOsAndOnEs
Profile Joined July 2010
United States64 Posts
June 20 2011 01:20 GMT
#77
Guess where I was going there was eventually players will be able to be stars without as much dedicated self promotion and hopefully be able to commit more toward skill. As someone mentioned above, you can't really be successful in the early stages without a lot of self promotion or a huge team.

I had like 30 seconds of voice that I just couldn't squeeze, so what you see is the abridged version.
Thanks for your comment!
Prev 1 2 3 4 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O141
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 18986
Calm 2090
Shuttle 329
White-Ra 175
Mini 169
ZZZero.O 141
firebathero 76
soO 12
Sacsri 7
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1520
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5105
Liquid`Hasu668
Other Games
summit1g8068
Liquid`RaSZi2147
FrodaN1922
fl0m1308
crisheroes303
Pyrionflax216
IndyStarCraft 210
Livibee184
Mew2King54
ToD39
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick947
BasetradeTV252
StarCraft 2
angryscii 24
EmSc Tv 12
EmSc2Tv 12
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 27
• musti20045 4
• niya90s 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki38
• blackmanpl 28
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1401
• Shiphtur553
• WagamamaTV357
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 8m
Replay Cast
2h 8m
OSC
15h 8m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 14h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.