• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:44
CEST 18:44
KST 01:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9345 users

[Exp] Using Biology to increase APM - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Ruyguy
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada988 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-27 07:41:28
February 27 2011 07:41 GMT
#21
Just to add to the guitar analogy. I was playing guitar for like 4 years constantly (not anymore) and I agree with the starting off slowly, and learning the song and getting comfortable with it. But after you have almost memorized a song, in order to play it better I used to push myself and play it faster and faster, maybe because I was bored with the initial tempo, but in the end I found I was way more comfortable playing the song. I totally agree with what MobiusOne is saying to increase your APM.
MobiusOne
Profile Joined September 2010
United States106 Posts
February 27 2011 07:51 GMT
#22
You guys are missing the point.
The point here is not to improve your multi task / mechanics, its to improve your muscle memory. By spamming hotkeys you are doing just that. When you have the APM (box) down then you can start praciticing micro/macro/multi task(fill in the box)


exactly.
"Macro while you macro all day every day"
Maetl
Profile Joined August 2010
United States93 Posts
February 27 2011 08:07 GMT
#23
On February 27 2011 16:02 SonuvBob wrote:
A lot of BW players had success with this a few years ago: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=56230


That is more or less what I did, and still do. I will play games against a computer, sometimes for hours, just macroing and keeping my APM up. You can throw in things like keeping a group of zerglings or mutas moving at all times as well. Dull, but it worked for me. I am still not that good about finding the best actions, but I can play at 200+ APM without a problem, and I still feel there is a lot of room for improvement.
billy5000
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States865 Posts
February 27 2011 09:11 GMT
#24
Before I saw this video of korean progamers play (
), I've always thought spamming wasn't very efficient.

But now I think the OP is fairly accurate on spamming. It really does seem to help you in the run long by making spamming a habit to the point where it's done unconsciously.

However, I'm still not sure as to how to spam on the keyboard. The video above shows players just refreshing their control groups again and again. But what I don't understand is why they double tap a number key for certain buildings or units while just tapping the rest only once (without moving the screen).

Can anyone clarify how spamming is done?
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand. Vonnegut
Zrana
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United Kingdom698 Posts
February 27 2011 09:16 GMT
#25
I like the idea (and tbh i think its worth a try even if it doesn't work), but as a science undergrad you should maybe do some testing and provide solid evidence that this actually has an effect.
MobiusOne
Profile Joined September 2010
United States106 Posts
February 27 2011 10:02 GMT
#26
I like the idea (and tbh i think its worth a try even if it doesn't work), but as a science undergrad you should maybe do some testing and provide solid evidence that this actually has an effect.


This is the point of the APM challenge, to test this out.. please read the thread before you post?
"Macro while you macro all day every day"
Phanekim
Profile Joined April 2003
United States777 Posts
February 27 2011 10:13 GMT
#27
i thought whatever OP said was already quite intuitive already....but myabe i have a biology background.

good post but maybe its just be but i thought this was already obvious.
i like cheese
TzTz
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany511 Posts
February 27 2011 11:48 GMT
#28
Player name:TzTz
Race: Random
League:Diamond
AvgAPM:88
Buddhist
Profile Joined April 2010
United States658 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-27 12:04:48
February 27 2011 12:00 GMT
#29
Spamming the keyboard is just as detrimental as spamming the mouse. Speed is not spamming, it's just the time it takes for you to make an action in-game after you realize you want to take the action.

Obviously if you practice spamming, you'll get better at spamming. That doesn't mean you're faster in any way.

What people should do to practice is to try reacting to things they want to do without any delay.

Edit: Unless you guys are talking about building muscle memory? I don't think anyone here needs to do that. If you can type without looking at your keyboard, you don't need to build muscle memory, lol. No one here should be limited in speed by that. That's like being concerned that your eyes are the things that don't move fast enough in game: there's just no way that that is the factor slowing you down.

Or maybe that's just me, since I've been a computer gamer for 10 years?
Candles
Profile Joined February 2011
United Kingdom103 Posts
February 27 2011 12:25 GMT
#30
Candles
Race: Terran
League: Bronze
AvgAPM: 34.3
Phayze
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada2029 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-27 12:33:57
February 27 2011 12:32 GMT
#31
SladeR
Race: Protoss
League: Master
avgAPM: 172.4

Remember that the apm counter in game is something like 40% lower than your actual apm .
I feel that spamming early in my iccup days are the only reason I have over 200 apm. I dont need to spam now, but In team games I do something very similar, I spam real hard in team games. 1) games are usually shorter. 2) there is alot more going on in the beginning, and in the midgame so the handspeed is really required. 3) it's just a good platform in a non-competitive scenario to push your apm.

and buddhist, how fast can you go 1a2a3a4a5a6a7a8a9a0a. That is muscle memory, or 1 p 2p 3p 4p 5p with zero mistypes.
Proud member of the LGA-1366 Core-i7 4Ghz Club
Saechiis
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Netherlands4989 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-27 12:41:28
February 27 2011 12:32 GMT
#32
On February 27 2011 21:00 Buddhist wrote:
Spamming the keyboard is just as detrimental as spamming the mouse. Speed is not spamming, it's just the time it takes for you to make an action in-game after you realize you want to take the action.

Obviously if you practice spamming, you'll get better at spamming. That doesn't mean you're faster in any way.

What people should do to practice is to try reacting to things they want to do without any delay.

Edit: Unless you guys are talking about building muscle memory? I don't think anyone here needs to do that. If you can type without looking at your keyboard, you don't need to build muscle memory, lol. No one here should be limited in speed by that. That's like being concerned that your eyes are the things that don't move fast enough in game: there's just no way that that is the factor slowing you down.

Or maybe that's just me, since I've been a computer gamer for 10 years?


You're basically saying there's no difference between the muscle memory of a progamer and someone that can type without looking, surely you don't think that is true?

Spamming is about the speed at which you can hit certain keys, automatizing the process till there's no more thought process behind it. It is also about monitoring your production whilst looking elsewhere. It will free up processing power of your brain for tactical decisions and micro, whilst macro becomes more of a thoughtless process like walking.

I do agree though that speed mostly bottlenecks in your brain rather than your fingers. If you have meticulously planned out an APM intensive build you'll automatically push your hands to the limit since you're trying to fulfill all preset actions within a given timeframe.
I think esports is pretty nice.
FALAPARK
Profile Joined January 2010
United States224 Posts
February 27 2011 12:53 GMT
#33
The OP makes a lot of sense, as a broodwar player I used to have around 250+ almost sometimes reaching 300+ but the problem is that if you try to get a 300+ out of a sudden your hands will hurt so much that you will have to stop, and I'm not saying get 300+ and stop I mean keeping the same apm throughout the entire game, this is a personal story of mine, YOUR HANDS WILL HURT BABY!!!!!!!
Johnnybb
Profile Joined August 2010
Denmark486 Posts
March 27 2011 15:44 GMT
#34
Good read
C5Five
Profile Joined March 2011
England53 Posts
March 27 2011 16:32 GMT
#35
Take amphetamines.

Your APM will skyrocket. I promise
Tracedragon
Profile Joined December 2010
United States948 Posts
March 27 2011 18:03 GMT
#36
This is the point of APM spamming. Muscle memory. As a pianist, there are songs that require you to practise by spamming scales and arpeggios over and over again, as fast as humanly possible, to keep up with the pace of the song. StarCraft is no different to. Good read and good advice, OP. (:
Do the impossible, see the invisible. Row, row, fight the power!
DestroManiak
Profile Joined December 2010
257 Posts
March 27 2011 19:08 GMT
#37
Im a 3650 master player with an average apm of 60
It is always hilarious to see my opponent rocking +300 apm only to be defeated by someone with 60 apm
frdrk
Profile Joined March 2011
Denmark17 Posts
March 27 2011 19:51 GMT
#38
The way to see this is you have two types of APM. One is potential APM and the other is effective APM.
Potential APM: Your actual real-life hand speed between hitting one key then hitting the next.
Effective APM: The actual keystrokes that have in-game significance (Mostly different actions after eachother.)

This exercise is clearly designed to increase your potential APM, because while you currently might think that your APM is 'enough' because you can't use more APM anyway, you're putting an artificial block on your ability to multitask. You'll improve your effective APM, sure, but it will be a slower process when you're limited both by game routine AND physical hand-speed.

Think of athletes not training directly for their sport, but instead doing cardiovascular training alongside resistance training to improve their physical frame for success. Sports scientists often look at training as a 2-cycle improvement. Improve frame, improve actual skill. Repeat.

I spam my APM because of this reasoning, and I've been looking at APM in two perspectives since I started. My first placement matches when I bought SC2 had an average APM of maybe 60-70 and now I'm averaging 140-150 over the duration of all my games, and my effective use is maybe 100-110 now as opposed to 40-50 back then.
Moscow 5 - the most entertaining team I have ever watched.
Aberu
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States968 Posts
March 27 2011 19:52 GMT
#39
Here's a tip, put a space in between the ":" and the number because you have smilies all over your post, and it's difficult to make sense of it.
srsly
NewbieOne
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Poland560 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-27 21:47:46
March 27 2011 21:44 GMT
#40
1.3k silver (EU), 30 average APM.

This despite the ability to touch type at 100 wpm.

In Warcraft 3, the guys I beat typically had 2-4 times my APM, sometimes more. I would get to 250 in critical moments (analysis of Battleships UMS, where you controlled a single unit that, depending on your style, could be forced to be active all the time and under constant supervision, showed weird high numbers, probably not credible) but the average was around 40 for the first couple of years, then increasing to 50, 60... at the critical height of my skill, I had a 70 but this dropped later. In SC2, I don't think I've ever exceeded 200 in current APM, I also have a low one in the early moments of the game, when everybody else actually has it high, plus, I don't do anything when there's not much to be done (preferring to relax rather than keep up the pressure), resulting in actual 0 current APM from time to time. Also, I actually try to give the fewest commands possible in battle.
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 16m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech150
UpATreeSC 113
BRAT_OK 56
mouzHeroMarine 51
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3857
Bisu 1698
Soulkey 1349
EffOrt 995
Mini 626
Larva 399
ZerO 331
Horang2 294
actioN 222
ggaemo 164
[ Show more ]
hero 83
Mind 83
Dewaltoss 78
Shinee 70
Sharp 70
sorry 58
Sea.KH 58
Snow 48
Barracks 43
Hyun 41
Bale 31
Trap 30
ToSsGirL 22
NaDa 18
Terrorterran 17
Rock 15
scan(afreeca) 14
Sacsri 10
Noble 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
zelot 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5788
Dendi1173
XaKoH 376
420jenkins337
League of Legends
Reynor68
Counter-Strike
fl0m3275
Fnx 658
pashabiceps636
x6flipin610
edward35
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes407
Liquid`Hasu1
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1517
hiko846
FrodaN524
XBOCT212
Livibee172
TKL 104
QueenE103
C9.Mang066
Mew2King41
ZerO(Twitch)23
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV188
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream30
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 54
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 40
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV653
League of Legends
• Nemesis3980
• TFBlade778
Other Games
• Shiphtur422
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 16m
Patches Events
23h 16m
The PondCast
1d 17h
INu's Battles
1d 18h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.