• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:29
CEST 18:29
KST 01:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror SC4ALL II: Brood War Player Announcement 4/4 Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9080 users

[Interview] TG-Sambo GSL Season 1 Final Winner

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33705 Posts
October 02 2010 13:22 GMT
#1
Source: Fomos

Spoilers, obviously.

Champion: Kim Won Gi aka 'Cool' aka 'FruitVendor'

[image loading]


Q: How do you feel about winning your first championship ever?
A:Every game I played to get here was tough. I thought that I would be nervous playing on the big stage, but I talked with Sung-jae hyung (IntoTheRainbow/HopeTorture) and we agreed to just play for fun. I'm happy to win.

Q: How much of your skill do you think you were able to show?
A: I think I was able to show all of it. I was a bit nervous in the first game, but I was able to focus knowing my opponent would be nervous as well. I think I played 130% today.

Q: You said you had prepared a special strat for Desert Oasis, what was it?
A: People don't use hydralisks much, so I was going to use them in game four and seven. However I started getting behind in the early game, and Sung-jae hyung started his harass very fast so my plans got messed up. Terran picked an economy heavy build, while I was spending too much gas, which didn't come together well for me. When my opponent starting dominating the game, I knew I was going to lose.

Q: You got off to a 3-0 lead, when did you think you had it wrapped up?
A: I was very nervous at the beginning. If had kept playing like I had in game one, it would have been difficult for me, but starting from game two I was able to relax and play like I usually do. Then I thought I might be able to win today.

Q: Even though you won, Zerg is still considered to be underpowered.
A: The other races have unique things they can try to do. They can do a variety of strats liek all-in, etc, but Zerg is stuck defending, defending, and defending some more. If you slip up while defending, you often end up in a dangerous situation. I think Zerg's lack of strategic options makes them a weaker race.

Q: So you think that Zerg still needs a buff, even after winning the tournament?
A: It's shameless, I know, but I still think ZvP is hard (laughs). Since I beat a Terran in the finals, I'm confident against T, but I still think vsP is tough and needs some adjustments.

Q: Did the siege tank nerf in patch 1.1 help?
A: I could barely win games before the patch day, winning 2~3 games out of 10 was very stressful. I found my touch after the patch, and I benefited a lot from it.

Q: What kind of help did your team TSL give you?
A: First off I ate very well. I like to resolve my stress through eating, and I was able to resolve my Zerg stress very well. Being able to eat a lot was a big help (laughs).

Q: Season 2 prelims will start soon, what are your goals?
A: I have the same initial goals as Season 1. Start with getting through the prelims, and then set your goal one step higher every time you advance. Since I was a progamer in the past, I had an easier time adjusting in Season 1 than the other players. But now a lot of the others have adapted as well, and a lot of ex-pros are coming to the game, so I think it will be an even playing field.

Q: You mentioned ex-progamers competing in Season II...
A: I don't have many friends amongst currently active Brood War gamers. So I don't really know what the mood is over in that camp. The people I'm friendly with have already switched to SC II and are claiming SC II is the new mainstream, but I can't be sure since I don't know any present BW pros.

Q: Even though this was the very first tournament, a lot of spectators showed up.
A: I thought that maybe 500 people would come because of the rain and all (note: Fomos reports 3500 showed up), but a ton of people came. So even before the game started, I looked at the crowd and thought "Wow!" I was grateful for the big turnout, and it psyched me up so I could play hard.

Q: Any final comments?
A: A lot of my friends came to cheer for me today, thank you. Also, I was happy my parents came to watch. I've lived on my own since I was 20, and my parents never showed up to anything like this during my career as a gamer. But when they finally came to watch today, it really made me want to win. Thank you.
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
Zozo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Brazil2579 Posts
October 02 2010 13:26 GMT
#2
3500, holy crap!
EGM guides me
Senx
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Sweden5901 Posts
October 02 2010 13:28 GMT
#3
GSL for the win!, even though the final games were a dissapointment (one-sided), the entire tourney was well run and the atmosphere and coverage even better.

Can't wait to see more foreigners trying their luck in future seasons.
"trash micro but win - its marine" MC commentary during HSC 4
Klive5ive
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom6056 Posts
October 02 2010 13:28 GMT
#4
Fantastic, great interview.
What a baller.
Don't hate the player - Hate the game
Keula
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany157 Posts
October 02 2010 13:29 GMT
#5
Very nice interview, thanks!
EG fan
Alou
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States3748 Posts
October 02 2010 13:29 GMT
#6
3500? Very nice. Great interview and I can't wait for GSL Season 2!
Life is Good.
SmoKim
Profile Joined March 2010
Denmark10305 Posts
October 02 2010 13:29 GMT
#7
Q: How do you feel about winning your first championship ever?
A:Every game I played to get here was tough. I thought that I would be nervous playing on the big stage, but I talked with Sung-jae hyung (IntoTheRainbow/HopeTorture) and we agreed to just play for fun. I'm happy to win.


i bet people will read way to much into this

Thanks for the interview! Waxangel!!!!
"LOL I have 202 supply right now (3 minutes later)..."LOL NOW I HAVE 220 SUPPLY SUP?!?!?" - Mondragon
Gigamo
Profile Joined March 2010
Belgium21 Posts
October 02 2010 13:30 GMT
#8
Hero.
Masq
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Canada1792 Posts
October 02 2010 13:30 GMT
#9
interesting he thinks ZvP is the most imbalanced zerg match up.
Art_of_Kill
Profile Joined September 2003
Zaire1232 Posts
October 02 2010 13:30 GMT
#10
season 2 will be so great with all the scbw programmer who switch over
TLT07 ===> *winner* <===TLT08
TheOracle
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia256 Posts
October 02 2010 13:30 GMT
#11
Thankyou so much for translating this :D

It's interesting his comments about finding ZvP harder than ZvT. Then again he showed incredible gamesense in defending the attacks that came his way. Also his comments about Zerg having only defensive options are interesting as well, and perhaps on the money. But enough of that to avoid balance discussion.

The thing about his parents is sweet lol.

Harem
Profile Joined November 2007
United States11393 Posts
October 02 2010 13:32 GMT
#12
Try to turn this into a balance thread and you will get owned.
Moderator。◕‿◕。
JWD
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States12607 Posts
October 02 2010 13:32 GMT
#13
Thanks for the translation Wax! I was eagerly awaiting this interview.

Tweeted.
✌
BerserKr
Profile Joined July 2010
Chile101 Posts
October 02 2010 13:33 GMT
#14
I fucking love Fruitdealer he is my Zerg heroe, congratz to HopeTorture too he is a sick player. What a fun tournament to watch looking forward for more of this, and of course more Zerg action thats always great to see.


<8 과일장수 vs HopeTorture [FINAL]
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
Weavel
Profile Joined January 2010
Finland9224 Posts
October 02 2010 13:34 GMT
#15
Thanks for the translation! CAn't wait for second GSL season.
Life/Seed//Mvp/NaNiwa fighting! ZeNEX forever!
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
October 02 2010 13:35 GMT
#16
I hate myself forever for falling asleep halfway through Game 1. Will battle reports and the like be up soon?
Pervect
Profile Joined June 2007
1280 Posts
October 02 2010 13:36 GMT
#17
On October 02 2010 22:26 Zozo wrote:
3500, holy crap!


Now we can only hope it hits 100,000 one day like 2005 ProLeague Finals or whenever that was.
ShyRamen
Profile Joined July 2010
United States322 Posts
October 02 2010 13:36 GMT
#18
He's such a nice guy :D Can't wait for season 2
jaeds
Profile Joined September 2010
United States106 Posts
October 02 2010 13:37 GMT
#19
every interview makes me respect him more, and the sense of downplaying how incredible you are among many korean pro-gamers is refreshing
Ftrunkz
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
Australia2474 Posts
October 02 2010 13:38 GMT
#20
Start with getting through the prelims, and then set your goal one step higher every time you advance.


Wait, really? Top 16/8/4/2/1 arent seeded thru to the next Ro64? That seems a bit ridiculous.... Would be such a gaybar if fruit didnt qualify for the next GSL :\
@NvPinder on twitter | Member of Gamecom Nv | http://www.clan-ta.com | http://www.youtube.com/user/ftrunkz | http://www.twitchtv.com/xghpinder
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
00:00
#14
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
Harstem383
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Harstem 383
IndyStarCraft 177
Railgan 79
BRAT_OK 39
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 53759
Shuttle 2913
Horang2 516
BeSt 428
Larva 379
ggaemo 208
Soma 174
Mind 159
Dewaltoss 105
Sexy 90
[ Show more ]
Last 86
hero 70
Zeus 66
Hyun 46
Killer 44
ToSsGirL 30
Bale 29
Aegong 26
NaDa 24
PianO 22
Rock 15
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5266
qojqva3047
Dendi1497
420jenkins431
Fuzer 145
Counter-Strike
fl0m3979
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby1764
Khaldor1331
Liquid`Hasu1099
MindelVK19
Other Games
singsing1725
FrodaN1683
byalli972
B2W.Neo948
Beastyqt721
Mlord491
Hui .159
KnowMe142
ArmadaUGS136
QueenE97
Mew2King56
CosmosSc2 30
Chillindude25
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick931
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream48
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 20
• Reevou 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 53
• niya90s1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3965
League of Legends
• Nemesis2642
Other Games
• WagamamaTV236
• Shiphtur197
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 31m
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 31m
Replay Cast
6h 31m
Afreeca Starleague
17h 31m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
18h 31m
Monday Night Weeklies
23h 31m
Replay Cast
1d 6h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 17h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 18h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.