• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:15
CEST 09:15
KST 16:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6925 users

The Official Thread of Overused Terms for Casters - Page 11

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 33 Next All
ckw
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States1018 Posts
July 16 2010 20:55 GMT
#201
After a while this is going to be a list that contains EVERY phrase. Who really cares.
Being weak is a choice.
itmeJP
Profile Joined February 2010
United States1101 Posts
July 16 2010 21:14 GMT
#202
On July 17 2010 05:55 ckw wrote:
After a while this is going to be a list that contains EVERY phrase. Who really cares.

Meh -- yeah. But after reading a lot of phrases multiple times its made me second guess what I'm about to say which, I suppose is some small victory.
Twitter.com/itmeJP -- Twitch.tv/itmeJP -- YouTube.com/itmeJP
cloudica
Profile Joined May 2009
England43 Posts
July 16 2010 22:00 GMT
#203
On July 17 2010 05:55 ckw wrote:
After a while this is going to be a list that contains EVERY phrase. Who really cares.


It's good therapy to talk about things that annoy you!

For instance, I've not seen this mentioned yet:

"Target Fire"

Terrible term. What was so wrong with "focus fire" that it had to be replaced?

It's not even accurate either. I mean when you A-Click you "target" the ground. At least 'focus fire' implies the player is trying to bring all his units' attention to one place, which is exactly what's happening.
palanq
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States761 Posts
July 16 2010 22:33 GMT
#204
I really like Gretorp's vocab, actually. it's quite unique, hardly appropriate for an "overused terms" thread
time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
Happy.fairytail
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States327 Posts
July 16 2010 23:11 GMT
#205
On July 17 2010 03:54 Chill wrote:
입니다 - god i hear it like 700 times in korean commentary learn some new phrases


lol, that's like saying people use periods too much in their writing. it's just how the korean language works, you end every sentence with it (if you're speaking formally, that is).

Day9:
"That went less than ideal"
"And 2 plus 2 often times does equal 4"

And from watching iCCup just now:
Raelcun: "So bm...so bm..."
Catz: "And all of Morrow's units will die ... ish?" "Marines are really powerful ... ish?"
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
July 19 2010 21:11 GMT
#206
When I was watching the worldcup the last few weeks I started to become annoyed by the Dutch casters. They are tasked with just endlessly describing the same situations and they use the same tired phrases rather often. Because this irritated me to no end I often just watched the games on the BBC, because they use dual casters, so at least they can have some banter that goes beyond the direct situation the players find themselves in.

I suppose it is very hard to come up with interesting things to say all through the game. The Dutch casters, at least, get by on excitement only and for me have a detrimental effect to understanding the game, since they just lead you to the most obvious conclusion for every single thing happening which prevents you from thinking for yourself.

The latter is something I find worrisome for, say, Day[9]'s casts: because of his knowledge of the game is quite high. It actually works way better for a strategy game such as SCII where he can tell what strategy the players are following, since it does add to your understanding of the game, while with football it's usually having an opinion on whether the tackle was fair or not. Still, I think a caster should see it as his role to enlighten the viewer, to make him think, and an endless stream of trivial observations and predictions that are wrong a lot of the time, just lulls you into dozing through the cast in a haze of excitement or enjoyment without anything substantial to show for it.

My favourite commentary from Brood War (I haven't watched too many, I admit) is the casts done by Day[9] and Nony for the Bisu v Savior games, because they discuss how consequential many aspects of those games were, they help you understand why exactly Bisu is playing this way and what both of their gameplans are, etc.
I showed this commentary to my father - last winter I think - when he was complaining about the trite and cliché observations uttered by the caster for the speedskating tournament we were watching, and because he has no idea what starcraft is he said he couldn't tell if it was genuinely intelligent or if it would be more of the same if I had just heard more of them, but I definitely think it's the first. It was what attracted me to the SC:BW e-sports scene, which I had missed due to being very young when it started, the fact that you had a strategical game you could discuss almost on the level of chess. This is why when so many of the casts nowadays just chronicle the events in the game, it annoys me.

Following up on that though, I really think that if the casters put the effort in they could improve a lot. However, what I think needs to go is the idea that a caster should primarily be either exciting, or try to explain what happens a lot. It belittles the intelligence of the viewer, in my opinion. -- excitement is good of course, but not at the expense of intelligence.

I always loved this article by George Orwell. I suppose many people know it, but I think it would be an interesting thing to think about for casters: to use language more carefully and avoid phrases that have lost meaning and are just to fill up time, stopping the caster from actually having to think.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
baeracaed
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States604 Posts
July 20 2010 01:53 GMT
#207
Probably the thing that annoys me the most is when 2 caster will argue. Even if you know the other guy is wrong, if he corrects you, just move on and debate it after the cast.
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ Cookies! ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Ftrunkz
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
Australia2474 Posts
July 20 2010 01:55 GMT
#208
underused:
"Maccas - mcdonalds"
...
<3 un-understandable aussie accent
@NvPinder on twitter | Member of Gamecom Nv | http://www.clan-ta.com | http://www.youtube.com/user/ftrunkz | http://www.twitchtv.com/xghpinder
itmeJP
Profile Joined February 2010
United States1101 Posts
July 20 2010 18:06 GMT
#209
On July 20 2010 10:55 Ftrunkz wrote:
underused:
"Maccas - mcdonalds"
...
<3 un-understandable aussie accent

Don't be rude to the ignorant American! (me)
Twitter.com/itmeJP -- Twitch.tv/itmeJP -- YouTube.com/itmeJP
Dakk
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Sweden572 Posts
July 20 2010 18:11 GMT
#210
HuskyStarcraft once said "Protoss vs Protoss" a kazillion times.
I will not fear, Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death.
Rah
Profile Joined February 2010
United States973 Posts
July 20 2010 18:17 GMT
#211
My gf was annoyed when I was listening to Iccup tv when Raelcun overused "Ohhh Noooo!" whenever an attack came in. So I started saying it like the gay dude in family guy to lighten her up lol.
Streaming on twitch. http://www.twitch.tv/rahsun86
Diamond
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States10796 Posts
July 20 2010 18:18 GMT
#212
On July 21 2010 03:17 Rah wrote:
My gf was annoyed when I was listening to Iccup tv when Raelcun overused "Ohhh Noooo!" whenever an attack came in. So I started saying it like the gay dude in family guy to lighten her up lol.


Raelcun was defiantly in an interesting mood that day. That was not the norm for him lol!
Ballistix Gaming Global Gaming/Esports Marketing Manager - twitter.com/esvdiamond
Arnu
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada96 Posts
July 20 2010 18:20 GMT
#213
H to the usky husky.
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
July 20 2010 18:27 GMT
#214
On July 20 2010 06:11 Mothxal wrote:


I always loved this article by George Orwell. I suppose many people know it, but I think it would be an interesting thing to think about for casters: to use language more carefully and avoid phrases that have lost meaning and are just to fill up time, stopping the caster from actually having to think.


+2 Shoddy language is a sign of shoddy thinking.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
YourMom
Profile Joined April 2010
Romania565 Posts
July 20 2010 18:43 GMT
#215
I hate it when casters praise the most banal micro maneuvers.
I'm very good at making carriers.
teamsolid
Profile Joined October 2007
Canada3668 Posts
July 20 2010 18:48 GMT
#216
Day9 uses the word obnoxious a lot in his commentary, not sure if it counts as overused though.
Husky
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States3362 Posts
July 20 2010 19:08 GMT
#217
On July 21 2010 03:11 Dakk wrote:
HuskyStarcraft once said "Protoss vs Protoss" a kazillion times.


That commentary still makes me LOL every time.
Commentaries: youtube.com/HuskyStarcraft
Warri
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany3208 Posts
July 20 2010 22:32 GMT
#218
Did someone mention "woopsiedaisies" already? I dont even know how that word is pronounced.
TedJustice
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada1324 Posts
July 20 2010 22:40 GMT
#219
For some reason going into this thread I thought you were referring to caster units like templars and infestors.

Anyway, I have a feeling if casters stopped saying half of these things, casts would actually be fairly uninteresting. They'd have to resort to "So now he's doing this, and now he's doing that". And other less interesting ways of saying the same things.
-Valor-
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States283 Posts
July 20 2010 22:42 GMT
#220
If we take a look on the _____ tab.
We have (player) throwing down some (buildings/units)
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 33 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 45m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Zeus 155
Hyun 54
sorry 50
NotJumperer 47
Bale 37
ajuk12(nOOB) 10
Noble 10
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto177
League of Legends
JimRising 531
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King110
Other Games
summit1g7697
Coldzera 720
ceh9446
WinterStarcraft401
C9.Mang0259
Sick132
olofmeister128
NeuroSwarm89
ViBE19
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick592
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream39
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2289
League of Legends
• Rush1056
• Jankos546
• Stunt403
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
2h 45m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3h 45m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
16h 45m
Patches Events
1d 8h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.