• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:11
CEST 05:11
KST 12:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7104 users

Beta Access Revoked - Dopeman - Page 19

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 17 18 19 20 21 23 Next All
Perfect Balance
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway131 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-20 11:51:39
May 20 2010 11:50 GMT
#361
Their new policies are quite ridiculous.

The word "lust" means "want" in swedish, so every time I ask a friend if he wants to play a game I'm forced to write: "Do you have the intention to enter a game?" It's really annoying.

Then, if I want to end something, I can't even write "slut", which means "end" in swedish..

As you can imagine, starting and stopping games is quite a challenge for us..
"Do you REALLY want chat rooms?" - You're good Blizzard! I was just fakin' it!
Jimmeh
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United Kingdom908 Posts
May 20 2010 12:14 GMT
#362
On May 20 2010 20:50 Perfect Balance wrote:
Their new policies are quite ridiculous.

The word "lust" means "want" in swedish, so every time I ask a friend if he wants to play a game I'm forced to write: "Do you have the intention to enter a game?" It's really annoying.

Then, if I want to end something, I can't even write "slut", which means "end" in swedish..

As you can imagine, starting and stopping games is quite a challenge for us..


Disable the word filter??
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
May 20 2010 12:28 GMT
#363
There used to be a vanity pet in WoW called the maine coon, named after the actual type of cat called a maine coon, because it was a maine coon. Blizzard and their Super Lawyer Buddies Extravaganza team thought it was inappropriate so they changed it.

It's minor, but it's completely asinine nonetheless.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
Zato-1
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Chile4253 Posts
May 20 2010 12:55 GMT
#364
Blizzard has to draw the line somewhere, and honestly, I don't mind if Dopeman is out of bounds- it's mildly offensive, but is also a pretty shitty nickname. If stricter enforcing of naming policy will weed out more names that make my eyes bleed, I'm all for raising the quality bar on nicknames.
Go here http://vina.biobiochile.cl/ and input the Konami Code (up up down down left right left right B A)
Rickilicious
Profile Joined July 2009
United States220 Posts
May 20 2010 13:01 GMT
#365
On May 20 2010 20:50 Perfect Balance wrote:
Their new policies are quite ridiculous.

The word "lust" means "want" in swedish, so every time I ask a friend if he wants to play a game I'm forced to write: "Do you have the intention to enter a game?" It's really annoying.

Then, if I want to end something, I can't even write "slut", which means "end" in swedish..

As you can imagine, starting and stopping games is quite a challenge for us..



slut means end in swedish?! wow I'm gonna use so many shitty jokes with that.



but on topic, it's kinda ridiculous, and I wish they would draw the line somewhere, but I bet activision has say in it, not just blizzard, because, HAVE YOU SEEN THE NIGHT ELF DANCE, zomg horny movements lolz.
Doug Righteous
gedassan
Profile Joined March 2010
Lithuania83 Posts
May 20 2010 14:19 GMT
#366
On May 20 2010 20:50 Perfect Balance wrote:
Their new policies are quite ridiculous.

The word "lust" means "want" in swedish, so every time I ask a friend if he wants to play a game I'm forced to write: "Do you have the intention to enter a game?" It's really annoying.

Then, if I want to end something, I can't even write "slut", which means "end" in swedish..

As you can imagine, starting and stopping games is quite a challenge for us..


Yes, this is bad design. They are totally not thinking about the rest of the world in this case.
Although you and your friend do have a workaround in turning off the profanity filter.
The way is made clear when viewed from above.
raz`
Profile Joined February 2010
United Kingdom33 Posts
May 20 2010 14:21 GMT
#367
132 voted yes, is this some kind of sick joke?
gedassan
Profile Joined March 2010
Lithuania83 Posts
May 20 2010 14:33 GMT
#368
On May 20 2010 10:21 morimacil wrote:
Its not really about whether you find it offensive or not.
Its more about if its appropriate or not.
I guess none of you are parents, most people here must be teenagers. So yeah, you probably smoke weed, and dont find names like "dopeman" offensive. To be honest, neither do I, but thats not the point.
The point is, that when the game is rated for 12 and above, as parents or as a company, you just dont really want the 12 year old kid to log in, and then face off against "dopeman.dopeman", "crack.addic7ed", "mein.kampf", "gay.fucker", and all that good stuff that people some up with for names when there is no moderation.
Now sure, you might not find the name "dopeman" offensive. And for example, a nazi wouldnt find the name "mein.kampf" offensive. And I suspect that drug users wont find the name "crack.addic7ed" to be offensive.
But they are still inappropriate. And 12 year old kids still shouldnt be seeing that kind of stuff when they log on to battle.net.
The question is not whether you as a teenager find the name offensive, the question is whether its an appropriate name for a 12 year old kid to see.

Seriously, how hard can it be to come up with a name that isnt a reference to drugs, sex, or an insult?


You make a lot of assumptions about the posters here - I can assure you they are not correct.

Sure there are teenagers here, but there are also grown up people who do not rely on a game rating (teen) to save their kids from foul language.
This system encourages kids learning about drugs, sex and insults. You can use a (seemingly) common word and get it censored out/banned/warned for it. Naturally you will go and check it out.

You also make an assumption that marijuana = dope. There is a world of difference between those two. Sure, I don't want to see a lot of
+ Show Spoiler +

"mein.kampf", "gay.fucker"


However, "dopeman.dopeman" says absolutely nothing about drugs to a person who doesn't know that meaning. They will never know what it means, unless they actively pursue the knowledge outside of the game experience.

I am simply saying that Blizzard should ban words that have a single direct meaning - but should not ban normal words that may mean something in slang. It is counterproductive.

Of course that is assuming they are not just doing a half-assed attempt at reaching a particular rating by implementing a half-assed system and not caring about the results it produces.





The way is made clear when viewed from above.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-20 16:04:08
May 20 2010 16:03 GMT
#369
On May 20 2010 05:29 omg.deus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 20 2010 05:06 travis wrote:
On May 20 2010 05:02 omg.deus wrote:
Why do I see everyone associate dope with weed...where I'm from dope is heroine and the only people who think dope is marijuana are old people like my parents. The first time my dad found a joint in my car he ran in the house holding it screaming, "are you smoking dope son!?" I burst out laughing...who the hell calls marijuana dope?!


it just means drugs
and most people don't hang out with many people who do heroin
so they wouldn't be using it to mean something other than marijuana


totally wrong...dope doesn't mean just drugs...it was slang for weed decades ago and nowadays exclusively refers to heroine. doesn't matter if u hang out with heroine users or not, it's irrelevant...unless ur sheltered or grew up in the 60s u know dope as heroine and heroine only.

b/c of this I can see why blizzard doesn't want any heroine related user names

EDIT: did some research and I guess there are some places like Kansas where heroine isn't around so people say dope to refer to crystal meth. Still, I found that the vast majority of people thought as I did that dope only refers to heroine.


way to tell me I am totally wrong when you are posting with no clue whatsoever.

I am not totally wrong. You are totally wrong. Look the word up in a fuckin' dictionary. Christ.

How your friends use the words isn't relevant. People use words differently all over. Especially slang. But the word does have an actual definition.
sqwert
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States781 Posts
May 20 2010 16:17 GMT
#370
looks like jaedong will have to use another name
if everythings coming your way, youre in the wrong lane. sAviOr 4evar!
Jayme
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States5866 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-20 16:19:13
May 20 2010 16:18 GMT
#371
On May 20 2010 10:21 morimacil wrote:
Its not really about whether you find it offensive or not.
Its more about if its appropriate or not.
I guess none of you are parents, most people here must be teenagers. So yeah, you probably smoke weed, and dont find names like "dopeman" offensive. To be honest, neither do I, but thats not the point.
The point is, that when the game is rated for 12 and above, as parents or as a company, you just dont really want the 12 year old kid to log in, and then face off against "dopeman.dopeman", "crack.addic7ed", "mein.kampf", "gay.fucker", and all that good stuff that people some up with for names when there is no moderation.
Now sure, you might not find the name "dopeman" offensive. And for example, a nazi wouldnt find the name "mein.kampf" offensive. And I suspect that drug users wont find the name "crack.addic7ed" to be offensive.
But they are still inappropriate. And 12 year old kids still shouldnt be seeing that kind of stuff when they log on to battle.net.
The question is not whether you as a teenager find the name offensive, the question is whether its an appropriate name for a 12 year old kid to see.

Seriously, how hard can it be to come up with a name that isnt a reference to drugs, sex, or an insult?


I put the responsibility of raising my daughter in my hands.

This means that everything I allow her to do is my responsibility.

If I allow her to play a game that's multiplayer then it's pretty safe to assume that the rating is an automatic M. You could try to pass off SC2 as a teen rated game I suppose and then find yourself amused as you watch a collossus burn a marine to a husk...you know with burning corpse and everything.

A 12 year old is no longer shielded for society unless you have home schooled the poor kid. They've already heard all of that and more in middle school. I am already more than aware of what people on the internet are prone to saying. I mean really, people are much more likely to say things they normally wouldn't due to the anonymity of the internet.

Again what your kid sees or doesn't see should rest on the parents, period. It shouldn't be on the shoulders of the company or the TV..or the school.
Python is garbage, number 1 advocate of getting rid of it.
slowmanrunning
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada285 Posts
May 20 2010 16:21 GMT
#372
On May 19 2010 06:56 afg-warrior wrote:
my online name is afghan madman....am i in danger???



oh lord... you don't have long
I aim to become a hydralisk and then stop posting, cause I don't wanna be a queen...
QuixoticO
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Netherlands810 Posts
May 20 2010 16:31 GMT
#373
Better not get Stimpack as your name.
"Suum Cuique" - Cicero
Beatus
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada101 Posts
May 20 2010 16:38 GMT
#374
Well it's a beta and like other people already said I am sure they would have made you change your name if it was the actual game.

That said I think it's a good idea to ban/give name change to names like that even if I don't think "Dopeman" is that bad..
?
Shield
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Bulgaria4824 Posts
May 20 2010 16:42 GMT
#375
On May 21 2010 01:31 Nyxs wrote:
Better not get Stimpack as your name.


This reminds me that marines use drugs and at the same time Blizzard restrict nicks which mean drugs. Nice one Blizzard. ^^
iounas
Profile Joined July 2008
409 Posts
May 20 2010 16:46 GMT
#376
On May 20 2010 23:19 gedassan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 20 2010 20:50 Perfect Balance wrote:
Their new policies are quite ridiculous.

The word "lust" means "want" in swedish, so every time I ask a friend if he wants to play a game I'm forced to write: "Do you have the intention to enter a game?" It's really annoying.

Then, if I want to end something, I can't even write "slut", which means "end" in swedish..

As you can imagine, starting and stopping games is quite a challenge for us..


Yes, this is bad design. They are totally not thinking about the rest of the world in this case.
Although you and your friend do have a workaround in turning off the profanity filter.

ha, that is terrible..
I remember some online game that had a filter with words from many languages and if there is a single word from filter in a sentence it wouldnt even show..
So I sit there trying to chat with a friend in my language and chat wasnt showing up.. Changing some words and trying to figure out what was going on and the game banned me from chatting..
That is hilarious.. How stupid do you have to be to make a system like that when some basic words mean something else in another language..
IdrA: stalkers actually do negative damage. when you shoot a marine with a stalker it gains health.
iounas
Profile Joined July 2008
409 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-20 17:01:55
May 20 2010 17:00 GMT
#377
On May 20 2010 20:50 Perfect Balance wrote:
Their new policies are quite ridiculous.

The word "lust" means "want" in swedish, so every time I ask a friend if he wants to play a game I'm forced to write: "Do you have the intention to enter a game?" It's really annoying.

Then, if I want to end something, I can't even write "slut", which means "end" in swedish..

As you can imagine, starting and stopping games is quite a challenge for us..

Why is lust filtered? Why is white and black filtered?
Anything with "trans"? Wtf? Cant say transfusion, transport, transform, transparent...or anything from here http://www.morewords.com/contains/trans/

Seriously this shit doesnt make any sense..
What is next? I find mondays, december and letter "v" offensive.. ban that..

Terrible terrible system..
IdrA: stalkers actually do negative damage. when you shoot a marine with a stalker it gains health.
Kurr
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada2338 Posts
May 20 2010 17:09 GMT
#378
I like the system. Turn off the chat filter if it bothers you and it keeps 12 year olds from having retarded names.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ | ┻━┻ ︵╰(°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
May 20 2010 17:15 GMT
#379
On May 20 2010 22:01 Rickilicious wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 20 2010 20:50 Perfect Balance wrote:
Their new policies are quite ridiculous.

The word "lust" means "want" in swedish, so every time I ask a friend if he wants to play a game I'm forced to write: "Do you have the intention to enter a game?" It's really annoying.

Then, if I want to end something, I can't even write "slut", which means "end" in swedish..

As you can imagine, starting and stopping games is quite a challenge for us..



slut means end in swedish?! wow I'm gonna use so many shitty jokes with that.



but on topic, it's kinda ridiculous, and I wish they would draw the line somewhere, but I bet activision has say in it, not just blizzard, because, HAVE YOU SEEN THE NIGHT ELF DANCE, zomg horny movements lolz.

"Out of minerals" = "Slut på mineraler"

Yeah, english word filters - by default - on a product meant for international use is fun It shouldn't even be there in the first place, certainly not as a default.
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
QuanticHawk
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States32159 Posts
May 20 2010 17:20 GMT
#380
This is basically just a challenge for all you suckers to get a little original and come up with something really offensive that passes the filter. GOD FORBID YOU USE YOUR LITTLE CORRUPT MINDS
PROFESSIONAL GAMER - SEND ME OFFERS TO JOIN YOUR TEAM - USA USA USA
Prev 1 17 18 19 20 21 23 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 49m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft431
RuFF_SC2 158
Nina 91
-ZergGirl 83
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2289
Bale 17
yabsab 12
Terrorterran 12
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
febbydoto20
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1206
taco 405
minikerr22
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox665
Other Games
summit1g8683
JimRising 754
Day[9].tv500
C9.Mang0343
WinterStarcraft261
ViBE174
Maynarde148
Livibee138
Sick135
ArmadaUGS28
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick982
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream178
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Response 14
• OhrlRock 4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv500
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
7h 49m
Stellar Fest
9h 49m
The PondCast
1d 6h
OSC
1d 9h
Stellar Fest
1d 9h
OSC
1d 20h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.