• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:45
CEST 19:45
KST 02:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)72Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7511 users

TL Fitness Initiative (Weight Loss/Gain) - Page 58

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 56 57 58 59 60 119 Next
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
September 19 2009 05:16 GMT
#1141
20 pullups is just a little practice after you're decently strong. I never do max endurance sets of pullups, and I'm pretty sure I can do more than 20 if not 25.

Just heavy strength work and pullups become easy. Plus, if you want more practice, throw some pullups into your warmups.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
JustQuitWarcraftIII
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States679 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-19 05:34:55
September 19 2009 05:33 GMT
#1142
Currently I'm trying to follow the workouts in the video below due to the inconvenience of getting to a gym.


Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
September 19 2009 05:43 GMT
#1143
Thanks Travis, I feel all warm and fuzzy.

I often do weighted chins, but I do multiple sets of pullups so I just go with my bodyweight. Besides maybe Deadlifts, pullups are at the core of my back workout. Though I have never tried going past 12-15 pullups as I don't want to be completely dead for my second and third set.

Eshlow, you were right. My bench and squat are pretty much back to where they were before. And one amazing thing that has happened, I have actually been "feeling" my workouts in the days following, whilst before it seemed that I had completely stopped making progress. Maybe the break was good for me.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
September 19 2009 05:57 GMT
#1144
On September 19 2009 14:16 eshlow wrote:
20 pullups is just a little practice after you're decently strong. I never do max endurance sets of pullups, and I'm pretty sure I can do more than 20 if not 25.

Just heavy strength work and pullups become easy. Plus, if you want more practice, throw some pullups into your warmups.


WELL AREN'T YOU JUST THE GREATEST captain bigMUSCLES


what does "max endurance sets of pullups" mean


sometmes i do a pyramind of like 10, 9, 8, 7, 6 , 5 ,4 ,3, 2 , 1 pullusp in one workout
and i still can't do 20
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
September 19 2009 05:59 GMT
#1145
lol, that video is funny. "Don't try that at home, it will dislocated all your shit"
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
September 19 2009 11:09 GMT
#1146
I suspect my BF is actually 1-2% higher, but it does seem I'm getting somewhere with this

[image loading]
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
September 19 2009 11:36 GMT
#1147
Post a photo, preferably completely nude, completely. And I'll tell you your body fat %.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51698 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-19 12:36:09
September 19 2009 12:35 GMT
#1148
Alright, so;

I'm 17, around 5'7, 5'8 maybe and around 50kg.

After I finish my exams, I want to to start working out and bulk up (I reckon I'm pretty fucking thin).

Where should I start? I already plan to take a jog around the block every morning I wake up in the holidays, but besides that, I don't know where to go.
Commentator
Jayme
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States5866 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-19 12:50:37
September 19 2009 12:50 GMT
#1149
Maybe TL can help me out here because I've really started to get aggravated.

Basic stats. 7.9% BF, 192 lbs, 6'5. I've recently turned 22.

I can run a 6 minute 30 second pace basically forever. If I try to burn out on 2 miles I can reduce that to a 6 minute -> 5 minute 45 second pace if I want.

I started out about 10 weeks ago at something like a 9 minute pace. My body has never been completely OUT of shape or anything and it adapts quickly but I noticed the most improvement from cross fit workouts.

So this all being said my running has come a long excellently and my lower body/abs have kept up just fine.

My issue is my upper body. I notice this with pushups most of all. While my upper body has definitely improved from day one it's lagging so far behind everything else it's beyond confusing to me. I figure that I just don't have enough focus on upper body now I guess?

I dunno, can anyone help me out here? I have access to a full gym and such all I need is a decent 3-4 time a week workout or whatever to help out with my upper body as I'm tired of my pushups sucking ass.
Python is garbage, number 1 advocate of getting rid of it.
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-19 13:48:47
September 19 2009 12:51 GMT
#1150
> GTR
start by... reading the thread...
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
September 19 2009 13:30 GMT
#1151
Alright I have some time:

GTR: you're very thin. I was basically anorexic at 61kg and 5'11. As I see it, you're as bad/worse. I suppose the issue is, how big do you want to get? What are your actual goals? What period of time do you want to work over? Give me some specifics (say, I want a bigger chest...or bigger shoulders...look good at the beach...just something!) and ill help you with an eating plan/exercise plan. Post the stuff here, but PM me when you do - that way everyone can get something out of it.

Jayme: no worries. If you want to add strength quickly, just do:
4 x 6 Flat Bench Press
4 x 6 Incline Bench Press
4 x 6 Decline Press Press
once a week at weights for each exercise that will result in near/complete muscle failure. Have plenty of protein before and after. With access to a gym, thats about as intense as you should go with no real prior experience - this will bulk you up VERY quickly, especially noticeable after 2-3 months.
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
Jayme
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States5866 Posts
September 19 2009 13:41 GMT
#1152
On September 19 2009 22:30 jfazz wrote:
Alright I have some time:

\.

Jayme: no worries. If you want to add strength quickly, just do:
4 x 6 Flat Bench Press
4 x 6 Incline Bench Press
4 x 6 Decline Press Press
once a week at weights for each exercise that will result in near/complete muscle failure. Have plenty of protein before and after. With access to a gym, thats about as intense as you should go with no real prior experience - this will bulk you up VERY quickly, especially noticeable after 2-3 months.


Here's the question I have with the bulking up.

I know it's unavoidable that if you want to gain strength you'll bulk up period but the nature of my job basically means that bulking up too much would actually be a hindrance instead of a benefit. So if this exercise focuses more on strength than muscle building I'm all for it. I think there are rep methods and such that focus more on strength while keeping your muscles relatively toned instead of bulging out of your arms.

Just making sure that's in this area.
Python is garbage, number 1 advocate of getting rid of it.
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
September 19 2009 14:04 GMT
#1153
nah thats good you mentioned it, what I suggested will give a lot of size. for straight up strength, lower the weight somewhat, to an amount you can do 4 x 10 of - that will build straight up strength with far less bulk, but your overall strength will not increase quite as much.
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
September 19 2009 14:23 GMT
#1154
jfazz, not to poo poo on your post mate, but you have it around the wrong way.

Jayme/jfazz refer to this article: http://www.gain-weight-muscle-fast.com/rep-ranges.html It's worth a quick read.

tl;dr version:
[image loading]


1-6 get strong
9-12 get big
6-8 bit of both

13-20 is for endurance athletes. I see a lot of triathletes at the gym going for 15-25 rep range with weights.

Muscle hypertrophy in short is basically the process of tearing muscle fibers and rebuilding them bigger.

"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
September 19 2009 14:26 GMT
#1155
thanks for that energies - I must be doing something wrong - I feel that I am getting more size than strength at the moment...guess I need to look at my diet - very helpful resource!
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
unknown.sam
Profile Joined May 2007
Philippines2701 Posts
September 19 2009 14:38 GMT
#1156
On September 19 2009 21:35 GTR wrote:
Alright, so;

I'm 17, around 5'7, 5'8 maybe and around 50kg.

After I finish my exams, I want to to start working out and bulk up (I reckon I'm pretty fucking thin).

Where should I start? I already plan to take a jog around the block every morning I wake up in the holidays, but besides that, I don't know where to go.

man you are seriously underweight...your target weight should be around 60 something (+/- a few kg) which is around the normal weight range for your height. if you have access to a gym i say take that opportunity to do some heavy lifting. couple that with a good diet program and you'll be bulking up in no time
"Thanks for the kind words, but if SS is the most interesting book you've ever read, you must have just started reading a couple of weeks ago." - Mark Rippetoe
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
September 19 2009 14:43 GMT
#1157
^ agreed. I would probably even avoid cardio for a while, just do some walking to maintain some sort of fitness level, but you don't want to be burning precious calories on cardio at your weight. Nobody has ever got bigger running.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
September 19 2009 14:44 GMT
#1158
On September 19 2009 23:26 jfazz wrote:
thanks for that energies - I must be doing something wrong - I feel that I am getting more size than strength at the moment...guess I need to look at my diet - very helpful resource!


I think that might be a result of your muscle atrophy. From what I read on your introduction post you had lost a lot of muscle. I am by no means an expert in human biology but I know there isn't as big of a relationship between muscle size and strength as you'd imagine, but I think it would still be difficult being able to lift heavy weights if you don't have any muscle to begin with.

I would say once you have gained sufficient amount of muscle mass the process will equalise and start to follow the above post in terms of gains.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
September 19 2009 14:50 GMT
#1159
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Im pumped up for the next week's gym sessions - I want to will myself up a weight increment on the barbell curls - in 2.5months I havent gone up at all, and im just itching to push myself. Sad I know
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
unknown.sam
Profile Joined May 2007
Philippines2701 Posts
September 19 2009 14:52 GMT
#1160
On September 19 2009 23:23 Energies wrote:
jfazz, not to poo poo on your post mate, but you have it around the wrong way.

Jayme/jfazz refer to this article: http://www.gain-weight-muscle-fast.com/rep-ranges.html It's worth a quick read.

tl;dr version:
[image loading]


1-6 get strong
9-12 get big
6-8 bit of both

13-20 is for endurance athletes. I see a lot of triathletes at the gym going for 15-25 rep range with weights.

Muscle hypertrophy in short is basically the process of tearing muscle fibers and rebuilding them bigger.


just a question...
each training goal has a rep range right. so how does it work in terms of sets?? i mean when reading about weight training they always mention doing an exercise for 3/4 sets.
is it safe to assume that regardless of the goal (strength/size/endurance) the number of sets would more or less be 3 or more??
"Thanks for the kind words, but if SS is the most interesting book you've ever read, you must have just started reading a couple of weeks ago." - Mark Rippetoe
Prev 1 56 57 58 59 60 119 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 2583
RotterdaM675
TaKeTV 306
IndyStarCraft 173
BRAT_OK 74
ZombieGrub35
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 2641
RotterdaM 708
ByuN 379
IndyStarCraft 173
MaxPax 171
BRAT_OK 80
UpATreeSC 51
ZombieGrub35
RuFF_SC2 33
MindelVK 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3360
Shuttle 873
Mini 478
EffOrt 422
Rush 173
Dewaltoss 148
Mind 89
910 73
Zeus 70
HiyA 66
[ Show more ]
Shinee 60
hero 55
Bale 27
sorry 25
ToSsGirL 17
Sexy 10
zelot 10
Sacsri 8
scan(afreeca) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5619
qojqva2923
Counter-Strike
fl0m5245
pashabiceps791
Fnx 684
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby2764
Other Games
singsing1985
Beastyqt798
ceh9672
mouzStarbuck247
XaKoH 121
C9.Mang074
QueenE72
Trikslyr65
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV205
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream23
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 111
• StrangeGG 31
• Reevou 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 28
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV186
Other Games
• imaqtpie514
• Shiphtur296
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
5h 16m
Afreeca Starleague
16h 16m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
17h 16m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 6h
Patches Events
1d 22h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.