• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:31
CEST 11:31
KST 18:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9197 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2012 - Page 131

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 129 130 131 132 133 379 Next
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
March 19 2012 13:42 GMT
#2601
On March 19 2012 21:05 Osmoses wrote:
Nice job Zafrumi!

Me, I had a pretty shitty session today. Woke up with backpains so I decided to just work on form. Did a few squats at 80%, got pissed off at how inable I was to keep a straight back without shoving my knees forward. Also got really, really tired. Did some benching, decided my back just wasn't up for deadlifts and left.

Question is, how do you tell the difference between when your body needs a break vs when you're just being a pussy?

I had one good scenario where it would've been 100% better to stay home recently. I had (i.e. think I had) exertion headaches and I was getting them throughout the day. I was 100% certain that it would flare up during my workout and it did and it was really bad. Thankfully it stayed back for the next workout but I can still feel it lurking around.
Official Entusman #21
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-19 13:49:28
March 19 2012 13:46 GMT
#2602
omfg man..that sexy boom at the end!

btw.

"It doesn't matter how slow you go, as long as you don't stop."
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-19 13:51:24
March 19 2012 13:50 GMT
#2603
On March 19 2012 22:13 Osmoses wrote:
So frustrating, squats is the only movement still giving me trouble. Stance wide, feet out, look down, elbows back, chest up, ass out, hip drive, squeeze core, it's really difficult to remember to do it all at once. I don't want to be the guy who's ego breaks him, but lowering the weight until I get proper form... hurts my ego.


I would say just lower the weight to where you can comfortably get the sets/reps you want and then add on from there. Use that momentum of increasing the weight each time to build confidence for the next workout. You can tell yourself, "Well I lifted this much 3 weeks ago and I'm back there again" but you can also tell yourself to shut up and look at the positives If you're not comfortable with the squats at this point and having to think about the form/technique it's probably a really good idea to back off. Same principle as the warm ups, you use those to get warmed up but to also focus on form, so when you're lifting heavy crap your only thinking about finishing the rep not if your on your toes or if your back is straight.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Daigomi
Profile Blog Joined May 2006
South Africa4316 Posts
March 19 2012 14:07 GMT
#2604
On March 19 2012 22:13 Osmoses wrote:
So frustrating, squats is the only movement still giving me trouble. Stance wide, feet out, look down, elbows back, chest up, ass out, hip drive, squeeze core, it's really difficult to remember to do it all at once. I don't want to be the guy who's ego breaks him, but lowering the weight until I get proper form... hurts my ego.

For me, I almost never lower the weight unless I'm injured/deloading, but if I know my technique is shit I stay on the same weight until I feel more comfortable. This depends a lot on how shit your technique is of course. With me, I can usually do the first few reps with proper technique before it starts sucking. On the other hand, if the weight is so heavy that you can't even do one rep with proper technique you should probably lower the weight before you hurt yourself.
Moderator
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
March 19 2012 14:26 GMT
#2605
Great job Zafrumi! Didn't even look that hard. Fast all the way except for the small shaky part lol.
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-19 14:33:22
March 19 2012 14:33 GMT
#2606
On March 19 2012 22:46 funkie wrote:
omfg man..that sexy boom at the end!

btw.

"It doesn't matter how slow you go, as long as you don't stop."


damn right a rep is a rep!

On March 19 2012 23:26 sJarl wrote:
Great job Zafrumi! Didn't even look that hard. Fast all the way except for the small shaky part lol.


cheers mate! what do you think the problem was there? I had the same issue on my failed 190kgx2 attempt. bad lockout? weak quads?
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
March 19 2012 14:33 GMT
#2607
On March 19 2012 23:07 Daigomi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 19 2012 22:13 Osmoses wrote:
So frustrating, squats is the only movement still giving me trouble. Stance wide, feet out, look down, elbows back, chest up, ass out, hip drive, squeeze core, it's really difficult to remember to do it all at once. I don't want to be the guy who's ego breaks him, but lowering the weight until I get proper form... hurts my ego.

For me, I almost never lower the weight unless I'm injured/deloading, but if I know my technique is shit I stay on the same weight until I feel more comfortable. This depends a lot on how shit your technique is of course. With me, I can usually do the first few reps with proper technique before it starts sucking. On the other hand, if the weight is so heavy that you can't even do one rep with proper technique you should probably lower the weight before you hurt yourself.



Unless you're mad a your gf, you feel like riping someone's shit off and you want to rape your other lifts and life by doing a 1RM of 180kg.

That's the stuff .
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
Daigomi
Profile Blog Joined May 2006
South Africa4316 Posts
March 19 2012 14:35 GMT
#2608
On March 19 2012 23:33 funkie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 19 2012 23:07 Daigomi wrote:
On March 19 2012 22:13 Osmoses wrote:
So frustrating, squats is the only movement still giving me trouble. Stance wide, feet out, look down, elbows back, chest up, ass out, hip drive, squeeze core, it's really difficult to remember to do it all at once. I don't want to be the guy who's ego breaks him, but lowering the weight until I get proper form... hurts my ego.

For me, I almost never lower the weight unless I'm injured/deloading, but if I know my technique is shit I stay on the same weight until I feel more comfortable. This depends a lot on how shit your technique is of course. With me, I can usually do the first few reps with proper technique before it starts sucking. On the other hand, if the weight is so heavy that you can't even do one rep with proper technique you should probably lower the weight before you hurt yourself.



Unless you're mad a your gf, you feel like riping someone's shit off and you want to rape your other lifts and life by doing a 1RM of 180kg.

That's the stuff .

I'm not sure if I have incredible restraint or if I'm just a pussy, but I've never tried to find my 1RM. So far I'm happy just improving my 5RM constantly :p
Moderator
KOVU
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark708 Posts
March 19 2012 14:36 GMT
#2609
Great job Zafrumi! Sounded like a shotgun when the bar hit the ground, didn't think the rep looked slow at all, slowed down at the shaky part obviously, but not slow.

What routine will you do now that you're done with coan/philipi?
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
March 19 2012 15:14 GMT
#2610
On March 19 2012 23:36 KOVU wrote:
Great job Zafrumi! Sounded like a shotgun when the bar hit the ground, didn't think the rep looked slow at all, slowed down at the shaky part obviously, but not slow.

What routine will you do now that you're done with coan/philipi?


thanks I'm not sure, i'll probably do rip's advanced novice program and start cutting. never had a sixpack in my life and I might just make that my next goal ^^ although I really really hate cutting :/
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
Seth_
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Belgium184 Posts
March 19 2012 15:25 GMT
#2611
Hey I'm looking for a site that accepts paypal and ships to europe (belgium specifically) cheaply.

It's for some vitamin D and fish oil. No site seems to get close to iherb's prices.

Logros
Profile Joined September 2010
Netherlands9913 Posts
March 19 2012 15:40 GMT
#2612
On March 20 2012 00:25 Seth_ wrote:
Hey I'm looking for a site that accepts paypal and ships to europe (belgium specifically) cheaply.

It's for some vitamin D and fish oil. No site seems to get close to iherb's prices.


I'd take a look at http://www.bodyenfitshop.nl/ It's a really good site and I think they ship to Belgium as well.
Advocado
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Denmark994 Posts
March 19 2012 15:56 GMT
#2613
Dat Boom.
http://www.twitch.tv/advocadosc2
Deadeight
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom1629 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-19 17:12:48
March 19 2012 16:24 GMT
#2614
Shoes

Ok so that was really quick, my lifting shoes came this morning. I was on day B of SL today, and squats at the start with them felt great. So much better. I did more sets than I should to mess around with trainers, bare feet, tiny plates under heels as well as my new shoes, but I'm on a low weight because of knee anyway.

Even though I'm doing low bar squats now the Oly shoes felt a lot better, I can't quite say what but my knees felt solid and my back felt stronger. I'm entirely willing to accept that this might be placebo though so it's really hard to tell, but my form was better with them. (Screw you brain and ruining my judgement, e.g. + Show Spoiler +
). I still want to see a video of me wearing shoes and barefoot and other options though.


Low Bar Squat

Also, with my low bar squat I seem to put the bar a lot lower than Mehdi has it in his picture:

[image loading]

My hands are a good bit wider apart for a start, and the bar is maybe an inch or two lower. Not sure if this is an issue, google isn't that helpful.

Also it seems to be all in my lower back. I was at 110kg today which is a lot less than I was doing with high bar, and I expected less in the quads and didn't feel anything really, but felt all the effort in my lower back. Is this normal? An issue is that I've also stopped using the belt, so it may well be a mixture of the two...


Snatch

I was not going to do any snatching until I my shoulders become flexible enough to do a full, deep overhead squat. I still can't do this, but I was just too tempted. I followed the instructions I'd learnt from some california strength videos and it was really fun. I stuck to just the bar, then put 5kg each end. It's hard but it's something I'm going to persist with, feels productive. Some questions about snatching though:

1. Where should the bar in the stage where it's going up my body and over my head? I didn't pay any attention to this when I did it, it was at my hips then went up and was over my head and I have no idea what happened. Should it be close to my body or far away, or can I just ignore it?

2. Twice I just pulled the bar up and smacked it into my bladder area. Did I just not kind of thrust it forwards early enough?

3. I followed california strength advice and had my hands wide enough apart so that it sits at the right place, but my hands were right at the end of the bar... most of it was off the gnarled grippy bit and holding onto the smooth area. It's a proper full size bar, but placing my hands any narrower put the bar onto the top of my quads and out of the crevice or whatever it would be called. Am I being retarded here?


Protein

Looked for info in general nutritional recommendations and didn't see any. What should I be looking for in a protein shake, just protein? The reason I ask is there have been a lot of myprotein.com adverts on TL for me, and it's all cheaper than the stuff I've been using. I don't know how to assess protein shake quality other than protein mass/pound sterling. Do I need to look at BCAA content? I have some creatine which I've never used much of, just stick some in my shake every now and then.

I did attempt to research this but google gives a big spread of answers and it's difficult to discern what is bullshit. I have come to trust TL H&F.





Long post. So I added sections. Thanks.

sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
March 19 2012 16:56 GMT
#2615
On March 19 2012 23:33 Zafrumi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 19 2012 22:46 funkie wrote:
omfg man..that sexy boom at the end!

btw.

"It doesn't matter how slow you go, as long as you don't stop."


damn right a rep is a rep!

Show nested quote +
On March 19 2012 23:26 sJarl wrote:
Great job Zafrumi! Didn't even look that hard. Fast all the way except for the small shaky part lol.


cheers mate! what do you think the problem was there? I had the same issue on my failed 190kgx2 attempt. bad lockout? weak quads?


I'm not really sure tbh. The shakes usually come when you are starting out and you are weak but that is not the case here.

The start was fast and the lockout even faster so I don't see a problem. Maybe there is some lack of glute activation but I'm not sure.
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
Sneakyz
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden2361 Posts
March 19 2012 17:14 GMT
#2616
On March 19 2012 23:33 Zafrumi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 19 2012 23:26 sJarl wrote:
Great job Zafrumi! Didn't even look that hard. Fast all the way except for the small shaky part lol.


cheers mate! what do you think the problem was there? I had the same issue on my failed 190kgx2 attempt. bad lockout? weak quads?

Compared to my lifts those are speed deadlifts .
I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
March 19 2012 17:21 GMT
#2617
@ Zafrumi

Congrats

@ Deadeight

Powerlifting shoes are just Oly lifting shoes with more ankle support. Oly ones are obv fine for both.
Barbell is fine on that picture

Today session:

Squat: 160kgx4x3, 200kg 10 sec hold, 215kg 10 sec hold.

Today is the last week of smolov, and today is taper (think light) easy day before going for PR on saturday. Added the powerlifting gear (belt + wraps) so squats where a lot easier, but its so fucking painful. The belt rips trough my bell and the skin behind my knee is red from the wrap pressure.

Also, holding 215kg on my back feels like having a bus over you -.-

Doesn't matter, if I can Squat anything above 190kg @ 78 bw its a fucking amazing achievement. Can't wait for it.
MajinMojo
Profile Joined October 2010
266 Posts
March 19 2012 17:33 GMT
#2618
Moving again. In the process of looking for a new gym. Anyone live in or near Scranton/Wilkes-Barre PA that knows a good place? I'd love to get myself into one of the colleges so I can use their gym but until then I gotta do what i can.
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
March 19 2012 17:38 GMT
#2619
What cues do you guys use when squatting if your knees sometimes go inwards?
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Hurricane
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
United States3939 Posts
March 19 2012 17:41 GMT
#2620
Keep pressure on the outer edge of your feet.
RIP CHARLIEMURPHY 11/25/10 NEVER FORGET | Hurricane#1183 @ B.net
Prev 1 129 130 131 132 133 379 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 29m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech6
StarCraft: Brood War
Zeus 410
Horang2 320
Larva 269
EffOrt 247
Mind 65
Hyun 55
scan(afreeca) 47
sorry 45
Pusan 43
ggaemo 43
[ Show more ]
Killer 42
NotJumperer 42
Bale 41
Sharp 33
Sacsri 19
Shinee 19
Barracks 18
Yoon 15
Hm[arnc] 12
Noble 5
Dota 2
febbydoto110
League of Legends
JimRising 415
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1209
edward536
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King120
Other Games
summit1g8077
ceh9649
Happy319
crisheroes189
Sick175
dupreeh65
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick594
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2271
League of Legends
• Jankos1204
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
29m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1h 29m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
14h 29m
Patches Events
1d 6h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.