• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:05
CEST 22:05
KST 05:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8211 users

The Injuries Thread - Page 14

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 58 Next
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
February 07 2012 02:50 GMT
#261
Eshlow:
I've got a bit of pain on my patella tendon, it's just kinda dull ache and didn't impede me squatting heavy today. Thoughts? Started pretty recently (maybe a bad squat?) but then again that knee in general is kinda shitty.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Poodunk
Profile Joined August 2011
United States13 Posts
February 07 2012 15:13 GMT
#262
On February 07 2012 09:07 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 07 2012 08:03 Poodunk wrote:
I have no idea what happend. So 2 weeks ago I was in my schools gym after warm up (sit ups) and went into the weight room and saw this sit up bed thing. Anyways I put my feet under the bar things and the sit up bed thing and did * I have no clue how many sit ups I did on the sit up bed thing but, I did it till it started hurting and pushed on for a few more seconds*. The next day my abs were aching like no other. 5 Days later my abs stopped hurting and it was the day for gym again. ( I could not do even one sit-up the past 2 other classes, But crunch style). So, when the class began and the coach told us to begin our sit-ups I could not even pull up AT ALL, so now I just kinda look at my friends and try to laugh it off. T_T HELP!, < Why can't I do sit-ups anymore but crunches>!

Is this soreness or actual pain?

It's possible to be some severe DOMS and/or abdominal strain or something like that

You should probably discuss this with a physical therapist


thanks! I will see what I can do !
Wish Me Luck
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
February 07 2012 15:50 GMT
#263
On February 07 2012 11:50 decafchicken wrote:
Eshlow:
I've got a bit of pain on my patella tendon, it's just kinda dull ache and didn't impede me squatting heavy today. Thoughts? Started pretty recently (maybe a bad squat?) but then again that knee in general is kinda shitty.


Rest help, or..?

Stretch out your quads, do some soft tissue work and massage

See how it helps out
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
PUPATREE
Profile Joined August 2009
340 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 02:32:26
February 13 2012 02:30 GMT
#264
Hihi.

Thumb has been lightly numb since Friday (a little over 50 hours)

+ Show Spoiler +
1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.
[image loading]


2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion and resistive/active motion.
No movements aggravate the numbness, or take it away. I still have full range of motion/strength, and there's no discoloration.

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?
Numbness, no pain.

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.
0? It doesn't even cause me discomfort. I'm only worried that there's some nerve/carpal tunnel/??? shit going on. I guess it'd rate 4 on a numbness scale, since I do still have feeling in it, just less.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?
Acute.
The light numbness has stayed with me since lifting on Friday. Been lifting a little under two months. Lifting routine is SL but 3x5 instead of 5x5. Been doing 'lowbar' squats (205lb that day), except the bar hasn't actually been resting anywhere secure. Rolled around/down my back a few times that day, causing me to hoist it back onto the rack with the weight resting in my palms, pulling back my fingers/wrists. Grip is thumbless.

The first time I felt the numbness was after benching the previous Friday. It lasted around 30min then went away.

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?
No (recent), but I intend to.

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.
Numbness is not particularly 'deep.' Numbness is highest above the top 'knuckle' of the thumb, centered at the middle of it. The second segment is less numb. Numbness does not extend to the palm/hand. Numbness is all on the palm side of the thumb - the nail side has full feeling.

8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?
Nothing. Massaging doesn't affect sensation. Phoned a doctor, who thought it might be carpal tunnel. Seeing another physician sometime this week.

9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?
Nothing affects it. Constant

10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?
Tissue and surrounding tissue seem fine (no tenderness/tightness/tissue).

11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?
Constant light numbness, regardless

12. Any previous injury history?
None really

13. How's your posture?
Good

14. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?
Doing StrongLifts but 3x5. no sports. I guess I also type and text regularly?

15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
None


Thank you.
ㅋㄲㅈㅁ
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
February 13 2012 03:28 GMT
#265
On February 13 2012 11:30 PUPATREE wrote:
Hihi.

Thumb has been lightly numb since Friday (a little over 50 hours)

+ Show Spoiler +
1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.
[image loading]


2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion and resistive/active motion.
No movements aggravate the numbness, or take it away. I still have full range of motion/strength, and there's no discoloration.

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?
Numbness, no pain.

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.
0? It doesn't even cause me discomfort. I'm only worried that there's some nerve/carpal tunnel/??? shit going on. I guess it'd rate 4 on a numbness scale, since I do still have feeling in it, just less.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?
Acute.
The light numbness has stayed with me since lifting on Friday. Been lifting a little under two months. Lifting routine is SL but 3x5 instead of 5x5. Been doing 'lowbar' squats (205lb that day), except the bar hasn't actually been resting anywhere secure. Rolled around/down my back a few times that day, causing me to hoist it back onto the rack with the weight resting in my palms, pulling back my fingers/wrists. Grip is thumbless.

The first time I felt the numbness was after benching the previous Friday. It lasted around 30min then went away.

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?
No (recent), but I intend to.

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.
Numbness is not particularly 'deep.' Numbness is highest above the top 'knuckle' of the thumb, centered at the middle of it. The second segment is less numb. Numbness does not extend to the palm/hand. Numbness is all on the palm side of the thumb - the nail side has full feeling.

8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?
Nothing. Massaging doesn't affect sensation. Phoned a doctor, who thought it might be carpal tunnel. Seeing another physician sometime this week.

9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?
Nothing affects it. Constant

10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?
Tissue and surrounding tissue seem fine (no tenderness/tightness/tissue).

11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?
Constant light numbness, regardless

12. Any previous injury history?
None really

13. How's your posture?
Good

14. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?
Doing StrongLifts but 3x5. no sports. I guess I also type and text regularly?

15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
None


Thank you.


Would you say the numbness is more on the palm side of the hand or the dorsal/back of hte hand?

http://nervesurgery.wustl.edu/NerveImages/MISC - EM (Images Require Captions)/Sensation---Hand-Dorsal---IMG_6132.jpg

If it was right after bench you could've pinched something, but it could be from something up at the shoulder/elbow.

I don't think it's carpal tunnel or anything like that. I think carpal is single most misdiagnosed thing in the med world.

What's your bench technique look like?
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
PUPATREE
Profile Joined August 2009
340 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 05:59:06
February 13 2012 05:56 GMT
#266
On February 13 2012 12:28 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2012 11:30 PUPATREE wrote:
Hihi.

Thumb has been lightly numb since Friday (a little over 50 hours)

+ Show Spoiler +
1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.
[image loading]


2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion and resistive/active motion.
No movements aggravate the numbness, or take it away. I still have full range of motion/strength, and there's no discoloration.

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?
Numbness, no pain.

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.
0? It doesn't even cause me discomfort. I'm only worried that there's some nerve/carpal tunnel/??? shit going on. I guess it'd rate 4 on a numbness scale, since I do still have feeling in it, just less.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?
Acute.
The light numbness has stayed with me since lifting on Friday. Been lifting a little under two months. Lifting routine is SL but 3x5 instead of 5x5. Been doing 'lowbar' squats (205lb that day), except the bar hasn't actually been resting anywhere secure. Rolled around/down my back a few times that day, causing me to hoist it back onto the rack with the weight resting in my palms, pulling back my fingers/wrists. Grip is thumbless.

The first time I felt the numbness was after benching the previous Friday. It lasted around 30min then went away.

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?
No (recent), but I intend to.

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.
Numbness is not particularly 'deep.' Numbness is highest above the top 'knuckle' of the thumb, centered at the middle of it. The second segment is less numb. Numbness does not extend to the palm/hand. Numbness is all on the palm side of the thumb - the nail side has full feeling.

8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?
Nothing. Massaging doesn't affect sensation. Phoned a doctor, who thought it might be carpal tunnel. Seeing another physician sometime this week.

9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?
Nothing affects it. Constant

10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?
Tissue and surrounding tissue seem fine (no tenderness/tightness/tissue).

11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?
Constant light numbness, regardless

12. Any previous injury history?
None really

13. How's your posture?
Good

14. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?
Doing StrongLifts but 3x5. no sports. I guess I also type and text regularly?

15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
None


Thank you.


Would you say the numbness is more on the palm side of the hand or the dorsal/back of hte hand?

http://nervesurgery.wustl.edu/NerveImages/MISC - EM (Images Require Captions)/Sensation---Hand-Dorsal---IMG_6132.jpg

If it was right after bench you could've pinched something, but it could be from something up at the shoulder/elbow.

I don't think it's carpal tunnel or anything like that. I think carpal is single most misdiagnosed thing in the med world.

What's your bench technique look like?


It's almost all palm-side. It corresponds pretty closely to the grayed area for the Median nerve on your picture, but the numbness extends a little further (thumb only). Upon some reading, pinched nerve seems like a convincing fit! Awesome, thanks so much.

Unfortunately, I don't have any videos of myself, but my bench is modeled after
. Push my toes into ground (feet NOT flat on floor), back arched (scapula and ass make contact with bench), mental cue of driving my body into the bench. The only significantly poor thing about my technique that I can think of would be my shoulders when racking/unracking maybe. I don't think it's shoulder though - elbow/wrist seem possible though.

I'm a bit confused about how this could have happened though, and whether it really was likely to be caused by benching. Feb 3, I benched and felt this for the first time (30min, squatted beforehand), but Feb 10 (squat, ohp, pendlayrows) is when it came back and stayed with me.
ㅋㄲㅈㅁ
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
February 13 2012 13:14 GMT
#267
Hmmm, ok I suppose it could be possibly something related to carpal tunnel but I still don't think so.

Like I said, try loosen up the muscles in your palm, forearm, arm, and shoulder area and see if that helps out at all. Sensation should start to come back slowly over a long period of time if so.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Release
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States4397 Posts
February 13 2012 16:24 GMT
#268
1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.
this
#s 7,8 and the area just under the shoulder bone
2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion and resistive/active motion.
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html
Any rack position hurts: 3 squats and cleans.
Pull/chin up: feels like something is going to pop out of position if i try too hard
press/bench press: feels painful after a set


3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?
an ache after pressing movements
sharp pain when trying to get proper rack position

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.
0 outside of exercise. 2 or 3 for press. 6 or 7 when trying to get proper rack position
5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?
chronic; must have been a few months ago. Didn't realize because high bar squat rack doesn't hurt as much. It's gotten worse.

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?
yes a few months

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.
im not sure but i feel like somethings on my left upper back is not properly attached to my arm.
8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?
not much. Some ice and flexibility work.
9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?
nothing helps, it's gotten slightly worse over a long period of time. It is constant. Increase when i try to do rack position (clean/lowbar/frontsquat)
10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?
feels a lot more tender on my upper left back where it feels tighter on my upper right back. No swelling
11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?
same throughout the day except particularly painful in rack position.
12. Any previous injury history?
not related to this
13. How's your posture?
fine
14. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?
rows/bench/press
15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
when i'm doing any rack position, i notice that my left shoulder moves backwards. This makes correct low bar impossible for my left side to achieve while my right side is fine. In clean/FS, my wrist has to flex a considerable amount to make up for this. Also, in every grip, my left hand falls closer to the center than my right hand (unless im using mixed grip for deadlift).
I think i was doing a lat pulldown a few months ago when i felt something tear slightly below that area. I rested it for a week and it felt ok after that, but it has been causing me problems.
In terms of flexibility, my left arm can move behind my back a lot easier than my right arm, but my right arm has better ROM in front and above the shoulder.
☺
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 22:10:15
February 13 2012 22:09 GMT
#269
On February 14 2012 01:24 Release wrote:
1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.
this
#s 7,8 and the area just under the shoulder bone
2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion and resistive/active motion.
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html
Any rack position hurts: 3 squats and cleans.
Pull/chin up: feels like something is going to pop out of position if i try too hard
press/bench press: feels painful after a set


+ Show Spoiler +
3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?
an ache after pressing movements
sharp pain when trying to get proper rack position

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.
0 outside of exercise. 2 or 3 for press. 6 or 7 when trying to get proper rack position
5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?
chronic; must have been a few months ago. Didn't realize because high bar squat rack doesn't hurt as much. It's gotten worse.

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?
yes a few months

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.
im not sure but i feel like somethings on my left upper back is not properly attached to my arm.
8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?
not much. Some ice and flexibility work.
9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?
nothing helps, it's gotten slightly worse over a long period of time. It is constant. Increase when i try to do rack position (clean/lowbar/frontsquat)
10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?
feels a lot more tender on my upper left back where it feels tighter on my upper right back. No swelling
11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?
same throughout the day except particularly painful in rack position.
12. Any previous injury history?
not related to this
13. How's your posture?
fine
14. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?
rows/bench/press
15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
when i'm doing any rack position, i notice that my left shoulder moves backwards. This makes correct low bar impossible for my left side to achieve while my right side is fine. In clean/FS, my wrist has to flex a considerable amount to make up for this. Also, in every grip, my left hand falls closer to the center than my right hand (unless im using mixed grip for deadlift).
I think i was doing a lat pulldown a few months ago when i felt something tear slightly below that area. I rested it for a week and it felt ok after that, but it has been causing me problems.
In terms of flexibility, my left arm can move behind my back a lot easier than my right arm, but my right arm has better ROM in front and above the shoulder.


Hmmm, to me it sounds like it could be an instability problem coupled with some scapular mechanics problem. Since I don't know the extent of the instability, or how awful your scapular problems are you probably need to get it checked by a PT.

Therefore, I would suggest getting this checked out by a physical therapist who can properly evaluated you.

Preferably one who treats athletes if you can get to one that's specialized since you want to get back to lifting.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
KOVU
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark708 Posts
February 14 2012 07:55 GMT
#270
Been having some weird neck problems.
+ Show Spoiler +
1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


2. What exercises hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion and resistive/active motion.
Only exercise where I felt pain was during heavy squat holds, 1RM +20kg, even then it wasn't very painful.

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?
Pain is incredibly subtle and weird, never had this sensation before. I suppose it would go under the category of aching.

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.
Pain is worst the first three seconds I get out of bed in the morning, then goes away completely, unless i press the point shown in the picture. Would mark it 1-2 on scale, but 0 during the entire day. Pain also moves to the armpit if i press on the point shown in the picture.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?
Acute, don't remember when it started, but slowly got "worse", even tho it isn't bad in any way whatsoever.

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?
I haven't done squatholds, which is the exercise where the pain is present.

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.
Really tight tendons, might be some soft tissue issue, but I'm pretty sure it's tight tendons. Pain isn't close to any joints.

8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?
Aside from stretching the upper body pretty frequently I have been doing some rolling on my traps, as shown in a MWOD.

9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?
Getting up in the morning increases the pain for a second or two. Nothing helps on the pain since it's only there for a couple of seconds in the morning.

10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?
I have no clue what the muscles in the neck/clavicle area are called, but the sternocleidomastoid doesn't seem tight whatsoever. Traps feel a little tight and so does my pecs.

11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?
Pain after getting up, no pain otherwise, except weird sensation and tight front neck/clavicle area.

12. Any previous injury history?
Slight knee problems, fixed by Eshlow a few pages back <3. No injury history with the neck, not even sure is this is an injury or I just missed a way how to stretch.

13. How's your posture?
Slightly forward rounding shoulders and neck also sliding forward. Fixed my lumbar spinal posture.

14. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?
Starting strength, no sports except P.E, which is super easy and not taxing in any way.

15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
Dont believe so, no.

Thanks for reading.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
February 14 2012 15:45 GMT
#271
On February 14 2012 16:55 KOVU wrote:
Been having some weird neck problems.
+ Show Spoiler +
1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


2. What exercises hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion and resistive/active motion.
Only exercise where I felt pain was during heavy squat holds, 1RM +20kg, even then it wasn't very painful.

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?
Pain is incredibly subtle and weird, never had this sensation before. I suppose it would go under the category of aching.

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.
Pain is worst the first three seconds I get out of bed in the morning, then goes away completely, unless i press the point shown in the picture. Would mark it 1-2 on scale, but 0 during the entire day. Pain also moves to the armpit if i press on the point shown in the picture.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?
Acute, don't remember when it started, but slowly got "worse", even tho it isn't bad in any way whatsoever.

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?
I haven't done squatholds, which is the exercise where the pain is present.

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.
Really tight tendons, might be some soft tissue issue, but I'm pretty sure it's tight tendons. Pain isn't close to any joints.

8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?
Aside from stretching the upper body pretty frequently I have been doing some rolling on my traps, as shown in a MWOD.

9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?
Getting up in the morning increases the pain for a second or two. Nothing helps on the pain since it's only there for a couple of seconds in the morning.

10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?
I have no clue what the muscles in the neck/clavicle area are called, but the sternocleidomastoid doesn't seem tight whatsoever. Traps feel a little tight and so does my pecs.

11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?
Pain after getting up, no pain otherwise, except weird sensation and tight front neck/clavicle area.

12. Any previous injury history?
Slight knee problems, fixed by Eshlow a few pages back <3. No injury history with the neck, not even sure is this is an injury or I just missed a way how to stretch.

13. How's your posture?
Slightly forward rounding shoulders and neck also sliding forward. Fixed my lumbar spinal posture.

14. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?
Starting strength, no sports except P.E, which is super easy and not taxing in any way.

15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
Dont believe so, no.

Thanks for reading.


Sounds like you got some tight scalenes, which may be causing a bit of thoracic outlet syndrome.

Try some scalene stretches, and if you can get someone to massage those muscles that would be good

https://www.google.com/search?q=scalene stretches

Um, I would also work on posture, especially stretching out your chest (pec minor too) and anterior shoulders, and work on improving your posture especially head forward + shoulder position as both can contribute to these types of issues.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
KOVU
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark708 Posts
February 14 2012 16:23 GMT
#272
On February 15 2012 00:45 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 16:55 KOVU wrote:
Been having some weird neck problems.
+ Show Spoiler +
1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


2. What exercises hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion and resistive/active motion.
Only exercise where I felt pain was during heavy squat holds, 1RM +20kg, even then it wasn't very painful.

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?
Pain is incredibly subtle and weird, never had this sensation before. I suppose it would go under the category of aching.

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.
Pain is worst the first three seconds I get out of bed in the morning, then goes away completely, unless i press the point shown in the picture. Would mark it 1-2 on scale, but 0 during the entire day. Pain also moves to the armpit if i press on the point shown in the picture.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?
Acute, don't remember when it started, but slowly got "worse", even tho it isn't bad in any way whatsoever.

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?
I haven't done squatholds, which is the exercise where the pain is present.

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.
Really tight tendons, might be some soft tissue issue, but I'm pretty sure it's tight tendons. Pain isn't close to any joints.

8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?
Aside from stretching the upper body pretty frequently I have been doing some rolling on my traps, as shown in a MWOD.

9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?
Getting up in the morning increases the pain for a second or two. Nothing helps on the pain since it's only there for a couple of seconds in the morning.

10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?
I have no clue what the muscles in the neck/clavicle area are called, but the sternocleidomastoid doesn't seem tight whatsoever. Traps feel a little tight and so does my pecs.

11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?
Pain after getting up, no pain otherwise, except weird sensation and tight front neck/clavicle area.

12. Any previous injury history?
Slight knee problems, fixed by Eshlow a few pages back <3. No injury history with the neck, not even sure is this is an injury or I just missed a way how to stretch.

13. How's your posture?
Slightly forward rounding shoulders and neck also sliding forward. Fixed my lumbar spinal posture.

14. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?
Starting strength, no sports except P.E, which is super easy and not taxing in any way.

15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
Dont believe so, no.

Thanks for reading.


Sounds like you got some tight scalenes, which may be causing a bit of thoracic outlet syndrome.

Try some scalene stretches, and if you can get someone to massage those muscles that would be good

https://www.google.com/search?q=scalene stretches

Um, I would also work on posture, especially stretching out your chest (pec minor too) and anterior shoulders, and work on improving your posture especially head forward + shoulder position as both can contribute to these types of issues.

Thanks for the fast answer. I will put a lot more work into stretching my neck/chest area. Will most likely report back real soon. Once again, you are awesome
Release
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States4397 Posts
February 24 2012 01:18 GMT
#273
Sacroiliac joint issues, had it before.
Question: Both times, it has only been my right side which suffered pain, and particularly during deadlifts and squats. What are some possible theories as to why it would only occur on my right side?
☺
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
February 24 2012 01:52 GMT
#274
On February 24 2012 10:18 Release wrote:
Sacroiliac joint issues, had it before.
Question: Both times, it has only been my right side which suffered pain, and particularly during deadlifts and squats. What are some possible theories as to why it would only occur on my right side?


Had any trauma? Play any sports? Previous injuries? Orthopedic issues like one leg longer than other?

There's a lot of reasons it could happen, depending on the circumstances.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Release
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States4397 Posts
February 24 2012 03:37 GMT
#275
On February 24 2012 10:52 eshlow wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On February 24 2012 10:18 Release wrote:
Sacroiliac joint issues, had it before.
Question: Both times, it has only been my right side which suffered pain, and particularly during deadlifts and squats. What are some possible theories as to why it would only occur on my right side?


Had any trauma? Play any sports? Previous injuries? Orthopedic issues like one leg longer than other?

There's a lot of reasons it could happen, depending on the circumstances.


Doubt it; track and field, but it's not very intense and i don't try particularly hard; broke my arm about 10 years ago;
my left shoulder has more ROM behind my back while my right shoulder has more ROM in front of my back. I've actually had this throughout my life. In school, i could always do the "flexibility stretch" with my left arm behind my back (right arm behind head) but not the other way around.
☺
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
February 24 2012 13:10 GMT
#276
On February 24 2012 12:37 Release wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 24 2012 10:52 eshlow wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On February 24 2012 10:18 Release wrote:
Sacroiliac joint issues, had it before.
Question: Both times, it has only been my right side which suffered pain, and particularly during deadlifts and squats. What are some possible theories as to why it would only occur on my right side?


Had any trauma? Play any sports? Previous injuries? Orthopedic issues like one leg longer than other?

There's a lot of reasons it could happen, depending on the circumstances.


Doubt it; track and field, but it's not very intense and i don't try particularly hard; broke my arm about 10 years ago;
my left shoulder has more ROM behind my back while my right shoulder has more ROM in front of my back. I've actually had this throughout my life. In school, i could always do the "flexibility stretch" with my left arm behind my back (right arm behind head) but not the other way around.

Could be as something as simple as when you're tired and step off a curb or going down stairs if you jerk it too hard.

I'd generally talk to your physical therapist or whatever about it if you can since they may have a more complete view of your history
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Slithe
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States985 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-26 02:26:46
February 26 2012 02:25 GMT
#277
1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


2. What exercises hurt?
If I flex my wrist for extended periods of time, then I will start to feel a dull pain in the area. I think it may also be related to having pressure applied to the area. For example, if I attempt a false grip pull up I will definitely start to feel it.

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?
dull ache

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.
3/10

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?
Acute. If I refrain from using my wrist much, the pain will go away after a day. The last time it happened was last wednesday. I was practicing ballroom dancing, and I started feeling discomfort in my right hand, because I have to press onto my partner's back.

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?
I stopped pretty quickly after feeling the discomfort.

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.
It feels like the outside tissues, not very deep. In terms of location, it's at the bend of the wrist..

8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?
Ice, rest, a little bit of stretching.

9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?
Rest seems to help the most. The pain is generally only present when I'm doing the activities.

10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?
I don't really notice anything abnormal about the surrounding tissue.

11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?
As long as the exercise does not involve the wrist in a big way, it feels fine.

12. Any previous injury history?
Not with the wrist, but I was diagnosed with tricep tendonitis on the same arm a couple years ago. That elbow does sometimes give me some problems as well.

13. How's your posture?
I work as a software engineer, so I sit alot and sometimes my posture gets lazy. I've been working on improving posture over the past few weeks.

14. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?
I haven't been doing much work specific to the wrist recently. I want to do rice bucket exercises, but I'm concerned about aggravating the wrist.

15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
I used to do indoor rock climbing semi-regularly (2 times a week) a couple years ago.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
February 26 2012 03:22 GMT
#278
On February 26 2012 11:25 Slithe wrote:
1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


2. What exercises hurt?
If I flex my wrist for extended periods of time, then I will start to feel a dull pain in the area. I think it may also be related to having pressure applied to the area. For example, if I attempt a false grip pull up I will definitely start to feel it.

+ Show Spoiler +
3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?
dull ache

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.
3/10

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?
Acute. If I refrain from using my wrist much, the pain will go away after a day. The last time it happened was last wednesday. I was practicing ballroom dancing, and I started feeling discomfort in my right hand, because I have to press onto my partner's back.

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?
I stopped pretty quickly after feeling the discomfort.

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.
It feels like the outside tissues, not very deep. In terms of location, it's at the bend of the wrist..

8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?
Ice, rest, a little bit of stretching.

9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?
Rest seems to help the most. The pain is generally only present when I'm doing the activities.

10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?
I don't really notice anything abnormal about the surrounding tissue.

11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?
As long as the exercise does not involve the wrist in a big way, it feels fine.

12. Any previous injury history?
Not with the wrist, but I was diagnosed with tricep tendonitis on the same arm a couple years ago. That elbow does sometimes give me some problems as well.

13. How's your posture?
I work as a software engineer, so I sit alot and sometimes my posture gets lazy. I've been working on improving posture over the past few weeks.

14. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?
I haven't been doing much work specific to the wrist recently. I want to do rice bucket exercises, but I'm concerned about aggravating the wrist.

15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
I used to do indoor rock climbing semi-regularly (2 times a week) a couple years ago.


Does stretching or any type of wrist mobility work help at all?

It seems like just some compression of the median nerve or something like that.

See if hte median nerve glide helps out a bit:
http://www.handhealthresources.com/Solutions Pages/Exercises.htm

If ice or heat helps then use it. ANti-inflams may help if it's some inflammation.

I would just stay away from false grip for a bit since it seems to be aggravating your condition. Feel free to workout anything that doesn't hurt though.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Slithe
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States985 Posts
February 26 2012 03:42 GMT
#279
I think stretching makes it feel better, but it might just be because stretching feels good in general. I'll try out the median nerve glides and see if it helps. How many times a week should I be doing these, and hoow quickly should I expect to see results?

Thanks.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
February 26 2012 13:08 GMT
#280
On February 26 2012 12:42 Slithe wrote:
I think stretching makes it feel better, but it might just be because stretching feels good in general. I'll try out the median nerve glides and see if it helps. How many times a week should I be doing these, and hoow quickly should I expect to see results?

Thanks.


Couple times a day.... 5-10 reps

It's not really a "fix" per se but it should get everything moving through that area better.

Make sure you don't go overboard with the glides and gettng symptoms and whatnot
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
ComeBackTV 815
SteadfastSC535
EnkiAlexander 63
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 535
ZombieGrub129
JuggernautJason70
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 23994
Soulkey 282
Mini 161
White-Ra 128
Trap 24
ToSsGirL 23
Shine 21
NotJumperer 20
League of Legends
Doublelift940
Counter-Strike
fl0m1328
shoxiejesuss610
C9.Mang0173
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King101
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor2544
Liquid`Hasu1932
Other Games
Grubby2823
ArmadaUGS1053
B2W.Neo575
Pyrionflax178
shahzam162
UpATreeSC76
Chillindude61
Dewaltoss55
Trikslyr48
Railgan23
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV193
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream101
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Reevou 9
• intothetv
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 35
• Azhi_Dahaki30
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV312
League of Legends
• TFBlade1034
• Noizen248
Other Games
• imaqtpie1125
• Scarra751
• Shiphtur300
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
13h 56m
OSC
16h 56m
Stellar Fest
16h 56m
OSC
1d 3h
Stellar Fest
1d 16h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.