• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:12
CEST 09:12
KST 16:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10818 users

Stable PvP: Two Gate Safe FE - Page 3

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
94 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
EsportsJohn
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States4883 Posts
September 19 2013 14:48 GMT
#41
On September 19 2013 23:15 hipo wrote:
Nice guide!
A few games you might want to add to your guide:
- Sos vs Parting on Akilon in PL R6 [WJS vs SKT] (both players open 2gate FE)
- Dear vs Trust on Akilon in PL R6 [STX vs CJ] (vs 1gate FE)

Slight variation of the build (1 stalker into 2 sentries before Nexus):
- Wooki vs Trap on Newkirk Precint in PL R6 [STX vs KT] (Wooki actually lost vs fast DT + 4gate)


+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL7qiv4dylk

Can't find 3rd game, but that's fine


Thank you so much for these excellent games! I'll see if I can get them edited into the OP! MC also does odd variations of this build all the time, doing things like going stalker -> stalker/sentry -> sentry + nexus -> 2 stalkers and weird shit lol. I also consider all builds that get a robo before nexus to be a part of this same vein, just slightly safer.
StrategyAllyssa Grey <3<3
HardlyNever
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States1258 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-19 15:36:58
September 19 2013 15:34 GMT
#42
I've seen this build a few times (or slight variants) on the ladder. I've never actually tried it.

One of the biggest issues I feel it has is that it is fairly easy to identify (msc and sentry first, 2nd gate). Once I identify it with a probe scout, I just 1 gate FE and go for super greedy play. I know I can get away with it because the two gates don't provide a lot of offensive potential since it is designed around holding early pressure. From there I can do several timings (colossus or immortal/archon/chargelot), because I'll be ahead on tech and econ from early on.

Not scouting early means this can basically always be punished with greedy expo play, since you don't really know exactly what I'm doing (only that I don't have proxies). I feel like this needs an aggressive variant to punish 1 gate FEs (and an earlier scout).

Maybe my opponents just aren't doing it right, but I don't see this lasting that long once people realize they can just out-greed it.
Out there, the Kid learned to fend for himself. Learned to build. Learned to break.
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
September 19 2013 16:02 GMT
#43
Not everyone probe scouts while having the opportunity to adjust their build in time though. In fact,it's common to either don't scout or scout so late all they are looking for is the spawning postion of the opponent, rather than some clue to change their build hoping to counter something that may or may not be happening. This is especially true at higher levels of play.

The sentry+msc opening, while not very common, could easily go into tech. You invest 250 gas in early game safety as opposed to tech; this puts say a stargate as fast, say, as a 3stalker rush/msc > stargate build. It's not particularly fast but it's a possibility.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
Drumhead
Profile Joined November 2010
24 Posts
September 19 2013 20:29 GMT
#44
There are plenty of sentry first openings that are 1 gate tech builds as well, so if he just scouts the sentry and mamacore (depending on his scout timing) its not rly a big tell
nath
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1788 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-19 20:49:35
September 19 2013 20:41 GMT
#45
On September 20 2013 00:34 HardlyNever wrote:
I've seen this build a few times (or slight variants) on the ladder. I've never actually tried it.

One of the biggest issues I feel it has is that it is fairly easy to identify (msc and sentry first, 2nd gate). Once I identify it with a probe scout, I just 1 gate FE and go for super greedy play. I know I can get away with it because the two gates don't provide a lot of offensive potential since it is designed around holding early pressure. From there I can do several timings (colossus or immortal/archon/chargelot), because I'll be ahead on tech and econ from early on.

Not scouting early means this can basically always be punished with greedy expo play, since you don't really know exactly what I'm doing (only that I don't have proxies). I feel like this needs an aggressive variant to punish 1 gate FEs (and an earlier scout).

Maybe my opponents just aren't doing it right, but I don't see this lasting that long once people realize they can just out-greed it.

adding a sg after the expand to react to a greedier build works well for me. usually you equalize or pull ahead economically. you can't really out-greed and have the same amount of gas

edit: oh, and the "3-Gate Pressure Variation" is a really good option, you are underestimating how this build's safety gives enough army to punish an out-greed attempt imho...there are lots of other transitions that i think are good too to punish out-greed response, but i wont post until i know they are viable at higher levels of play than mine

this is like the only PvP opening i ever used since WoL (only difference was i used sase's wol opening, into 2 gate expand; and also that sometimes if i scout an allin i delay the nexus)
Founder of Flow Enterprises, LLC http://flow-enterprises.com/
Markwerf
Profile Joined March 2010
Netherlands3728 Posts
September 20 2013 03:17 GMT
#46
I vastly prefer 1 gate expo.
This build expo's so late and delays the robo so much that it's worse against those delayed pushes like blink stalkers or just some slower version of 3 gate expand. Admittedly 1 gate FE needs very good senses and adapting against something like 10 gate where this is better but overall it's the better build imo. I just don't see a real use in making 3 sentries in PvP, they are lousy combat units that get's compensate by FF but the hardest builds to stop (blink, stargate or just very fast 3 gate) all hit such that forcefields are relatively weak. FF isn't useless agianst blink but i rather just have stalker-immortal to defend it which a 1 gate FE get's up much quicker than using multiple sentries.
EsportsJohn
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States4883 Posts
September 20 2013 05:42 GMT
#47
On September 20 2013 12:17 Markwerf wrote:
I vastly prefer 1 gate expo.
This build expo's so late and delays the robo so much that it's worse against those delayed pushes like blink stalkers or just some slower version of 3 gate expand. Admittedly 1 gate FE needs very good senses and adapting against something like 10 gate where this is better but overall it's the better build imo. I just don't see a real use in making 3 sentries in PvP, they are lousy combat units that get's compensate by FF but the hardest builds to stop (blink, stargate or just very fast 3 gate) all hit such that forcefields are relatively weak. FF isn't useless agianst blink but i rather just have stalker-immortal to defend it which a 1 gate FE get's up much quicker than using multiple sentries.


It's possible to do variations on this build including skipping the second set of sentries and building a faster nexus/robo or going stalker first into double sentry into double stalker (and probe scout). You're not set in stone having to go with 3 sentries if you dislike sentries.

PvP build orders aren't as rigid and unforgiving as people seem to think they are, pro players just generally take inordinate amounts of risks in this matchup. "Safety" is still a relative term in the metagame as protoss players are still trying to figure out how to take a fast expand without outright dying or falling behind against opponents that are trying increasingly risky and all-innish strategies. So take it with a grain of salt that when a PvP build is called "safe", it just means that the relative risk you're taking is small.
StrategyAllyssa Grey <3<3
SalvationII
Profile Joined January 2013
Germany25 Posts
September 20 2013 10:11 GMT
#48
There is no safe fast expanding, you always take a big risk against a good 3g pressure.
Polarexia
Profile Joined November 2010
United States383 Posts
September 20 2013 11:16 GMT
#49
Really enjoy these, very helpful thank you.

Hope to see many many more articles from the TL Strategy team
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
September 20 2013 11:27 GMT
#50
On September 20 2013 19:11 SalvationII wrote:
There is no safe fast expanding, you always take a big risk against a good 3g pressure.


A tight expand build should be able to hold 3gate pressure actually. Imo things like 3gate/oracle are much scarier.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
Markwerf
Profile Joined March 2010
Netherlands3728 Posts
September 20 2013 13:38 GMT
#51
On September 20 2013 20:27 Teoita wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2013 19:11 SalvationII wrote:
There is no safe fast expanding, you always take a big risk against a good 3g pressure.


A tight expand build should be able to hold 3gate pressure actually. Imo things like 3gate/oracle are much scarier.


if the 3gate comes of 10 gate it's really hard to hold, I think you can with 1 gate FE if your reaction is super quick and you cancel nexus, ff the ramp to buy some time till nexus cannon is ready but it's quite hard.
3 gate oracle is fairly easy to stop for FE actually unless the stargate is proxies but you should find that easily, it's another build against which less sentries is better because you can split up much easier.
KrazyTrumpet
Profile Joined April 2010
United States2520 Posts
September 20 2013 16:28 GMT
#52
Is it possible to do this with making a Stargate instead of a robo? I really hate robo play, stargate play is so much more interesting to me. Are Voids just not good enough early on?
www.twitch.tv/krazy Best Stream Quality NA @KClarkSC2
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
September 20 2013 16:52 GMT
#53
On September 21 2013 01:28 KrazyTrumpet wrote:
Is it possible to do this with making a Stargate instead of a robo? I really hate robo play, stargate play is so much more interesting to me. Are Voids just not good enough early on?


It's possible but it's even riskier.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
KrazyTrumpet
Profile Joined April 2010
United States2520 Posts
September 20 2013 18:27 GMT
#54
Is there a better way to do stargate PvP, then? No oracle all-in nonsense, something solid.
www.twitch.tv/krazy Best Stream Quality NA @KClarkSC2
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
September 20 2013 18:33 GMT
#55
1Gate tech->3gate or 3gate -> stargate; robo if necessary, expo when safe.

Im not very expert on stargate buidls so i can't be very specific, but that'd be the general idea. The big difference from WoL is that you can hold blink allins with voids (see parting vs swagger on polar night) instead of immortals.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
KrazyTrumpet
Profile Joined April 2010
United States2520 Posts
September 20 2013 18:41 GMT
#56
Yeah, blink all ins would be my biggest concern. I lose to early pressure a lot, though, and I think it's because my build isn't all that great. Anyway, I'm getting a bit off topic for this thread. I'll try to find some VODs/replays of a good stargate build I guess.
www.twitch.tv/krazy Best Stream Quality NA @KClarkSC2
DeBiA
Profile Joined August 2013
Italy4 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-20 19:23:46
September 20 2013 19:23 GMT
#57
what must I do if I scout a stargate with void-ray production but it isn't an all-in? So the enemy expand itself and then mass void..
Zerg OP, Buff Toss!! :D
FruitsPunchSamurai
Profile Joined August 2011
United Kingdom87 Posts
September 20 2013 19:35 GMT
#58
On September 21 2013 04:23 DeBiA wrote:
what must I do if I scout a stargate with void-ray production but it isn't an all-in? So the enemy expand itself and then mass void..

From the Protoss Help Me thread:
Q:How do i deal with a player going heavy stargate in the midgame?
rsvp wrote:
I usually go for a 2 base timing off of 8-10 gates when blink and +1 finishes. No storm or charge yet, but I'll have 2-3 archons. If that doesn't work or he turtles too hard, then I'll try to stall his 3rd while getting my own 3rd up, and tech to storm. Just have your blink stalkers out on the map, threatening backstabs if he tries to move out. There's not much harass that you can do during the mid game while he's turtling on 2 bases/establishing his 3rd, but once it gets to late game you'll want proxy pylons and warp prisms to flood zealots into one or more of his bases as soon as he moves out.

As far as engagements go there's not much to say, I usually lead with blink stalkers to bait/get a few free shots off or maybe snipe a void ray, then go in with the rest of my army. You want to try to target fire voids with stalkers but it can be hard sometimes especially as the armies get bigger so sometimes I just a-move and focus on trying to blink back and save stalkers instead.

Storm actually does pretty well against VR, especially towards late game once armies get bigger. Mid game zealot/stalker/archon does ok as well.
EsportsJohn
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States4883 Posts
September 21 2013 00:05 GMT
#59
On September 21 2013 04:23 DeBiA wrote:
what must I do if I scout a stargate with void-ray production but it isn't an all-in? So the enemy expand itself and then mass void..


As a general rule: if your opponent tries to do a void ray mid game, he has to play defensively and therefore you can expand freely. In PvP, this means that you can take your 3rd base before adding on extra gateways (so you would expand off of 3-4 gates instead of 6-8). Mid game blink transitions are good at keeping void ray armies pinned back too, but you don't HAVE to go blink. Obviously, storm is necessary later in the game.
StrategyAllyssa Grey <3<3
TLGoku
Profile Joined September 2013
6 Posts
September 21 2013 02:38 GMT
#60
With all these different pressure openings being touched upon, I'm surprised the scariest one's being left out.

If your opponent goes one-gate Nexus, how does that not leave you in an atrocious position?
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 48m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft725
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 882
ggaemo 427
Stork 319
Leta 206
PianO 103
Larva 52
Hyuk 32
ZergMaN 29
yabsab 23
Bale 22
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm181
League of Legends
JimRising 351
Reynor80
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King170
Westballz34
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor834
Other Games
summit1g10309
C9.Mang0240
Sick165
PiGStarcraft130
ArmadaUGS55
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick602
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream152
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2284
League of Legends
• Lourlo1101
• Stunt522
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
2h 48m
Online Event
3h 48m
FEL
8h 48m
AI Arena Tournament
9h 48m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
11h 48m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 2h
INu's Battles
1d 4h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 11h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 11h
Replay Cast
1d 16h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.