• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:50
CEST 22:50
KST 05:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)61Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7692 users

[G] Be the Leaf! A Passive opening for PvT - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
-Kyo-
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Japan1927 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-29 05:55:07
April 29 2013 05:51 GMT
#21
Good guide.

I think the forge could be cut until after robotics for some optimization. If you do it this way you could also decide to add double forge if the terran is being very greedy. The only time I'd think of ever getting a forge that early is if you do a pre-10 minute attack timing, which you don't really see too often anymore.

edit: guess I'll add some reasoning. If the terran is going 1 base mine drop or proxy mines you should become aware of this if they have not expanded within a certain amount of time. If you scout the proxy factory you can just kite mines before they get anywhere near inside your base. If they're going for a drop you'll surely have observers by this time if you build your robotics slightly faster.
Anime is cuter than you. Legacy of the Void GM Protoss Gameplay: twitch.tv/kyo7763 youtube.com/user/KyoStarcraft/
TL+ Member
onewaystyx
Profile Joined September 2011
Switzerland46 Posts
April 29 2013 14:58 GMT
#22
This build is pretty much the same as a 1gate->msc->nexus->fast robo->fast colo

Or at least it fulfills the same purpose. What i dont understand is, why you go for such an early forge for those cannons when you could just get out the fast robo, get out 2 observers (one for his base one for yours), get out fast colos and 3 more gates and youll still end up at the same point at 8 minutes, just that you wont have slowed yourself down unnecesarily with the early forge, when you can just drop a doulbe forge at 8 minutes and quickly recoup the time lost on your first upgrade of choice. Also youll be farther in tech and wont have to waste another 300 minerals on cannons in your mineral line. Im only mid masters EU so id really like to hear your gm opinion on why you do it the way you do and not the way that i just posted here. :D
:D
tar
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany991 Posts
April 29 2013 15:24 GMT
#23
Loved the guide the moment i'd read the avatar quote besides i also love this opening since I had a lot of trouble being drop save yet economically stable! Good one. The mid game guide would be nice too
whoever I pick for my anti team turns gosu
Xtreme94
Profile Joined June 2011
Malaysia282 Posts
April 29 2013 15:38 GMT
#24
I have seen similar build from MVPSuper during his ATC matches...I have been using this build primary on Whirlwind and Akilon waste or some big map...
AGIANTSMURF
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1232 Posts
April 29 2013 16:27 GMT
#25
On April 29 2013 23:58 onewaystyx wrote:
This build is pretty much the same as a 1gate->msc->nexus->fast robo->fast colo

Or at least it fulfills the same purpose. What i dont understand is, why you go for such an early forge for those cannons when you could just get out the fast robo, get out 2 observers (one for his base one for yours), get out fast colos and 3 more gates and youll still end up at the same point at 8 minutes, just that you wont have slowed yourself down unnecesarily with the early forge, when you can just drop a doulbe forge at 8 minutes and quickly recoup the time lost on your first upgrade of choice. Also youll be farther in tech and wont have to waste another 300 minerals on cannons in your mineral line. Im only mid masters EU so id really like to hear your gm opinion on why you do it the way you do and not the way that i just posted here. :D


Its really just a matter of preference, some small advantages in my build include a faster nexus and sentries. I dont like going fast colossus into double forge because its very gas heavy and vulnerable to drop heavy playstyles. My mid game preference is to go for fast blink or for a mid game dt drop. While its possible to go for either of these with the fast robo as you described, things seem to flow much better for me with my build order.

You could use units and an observer to stop widow mine drops, but that requires you to have the units. At a standard widow mine drop timing my army count is small, It's easier to stop a widow mine drop with a cannon in my opinion because there is no risk of the widow mine killing the cannon to a mis micro.

The cannon also serves a purpose in the mid game in helping to defend against other drops.

Its only a waste of 300 minerals if the terran does not go for any form of harass, which these days is rarely the case. If I feel as if the terran is not going for harassment then I do not build the cannons.

Overall, I'm not saying my build is necessarily better than the one you described, it just offers a different approach. Some people (like myself) might find it easier and more effective to defend widow mine drop with a cannon, others might find it better with a forge. Honestly you should try learning both so that you can catch people off-guard when they think they know you're opening
Thats "Grand-Master" SMURF to you.....
vhapter
Profile Joined May 2010
Brazil677 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-29 17:31:37
April 29 2013 17:13 GMT
#26
I think there's a better way to MSC expand in PvT:

(a) If you want to skip the early sentry and just get 3 stalkers once wg is finished, you go 13 gate 13 gas (delay second chrono) --> MSC expand (gas pylon afterwards) --> robo at 4:40 --> stalker at 5:00 --> 2nd gateway at 5:15. Warp in 2 stalkers once wg is finished. This is super safe against widow mines, but I think it may not be as safe against hellions without medivacs. I haven't tried to figure out hellion timings though.

(b) If you want a stalker + sentry to block your ramp against hellions (or for w/e reason you think an early sentry is necessary), you go double gas at 15 --> MSC expand (pylon afterwards) --> 1 sentry then 3 stalkers --> robo at 5:00. With this version of the build, your second gateway is delayed for a while (or skipped). I haven't practiced this one yet, but this is the new MSC expand version Tails has started doing recently.

Neither of these 2 includes a zealot, though you can start it and then cancel it to avoid getting ebay blocked. I don't find double forge colossus vulnerable to drops at all though. I noticed the games I've lost recently was because I didn't get 16 probes on minerals in each base by 8:40 (so my gateways were late and I missed an essential warp in wave that takes place before you can open them) - which is when you should cut probes in order to get your extra gateways up (total of 6). At this point, I already have 3 stalkers + 3 observers + 4 sentries and a colossus that starts at about 8:00. I believe once you start your upgrades, which is soon after you built your gateways, you have to warp in 2 more stalkers. You can use observers to spot drops at the main, keep stalkers by your ramp (depending on the map), 4 sentries + colossus at natural, and MSC in between both bases (again, map dependent). At 9:50-10:00, you warp in 6 extra units and defend. But if you mess up like I did the other game and have only 3 stalkers + 4 sentries + colossus after 10 minutes, the build is definitely going to fail vs a good drop. You need to make sure your timings are sharp to build truly safe.

PS: I haven't checked your cannon timings exactly. I might actually be easier to defend against early aggression depending on how fast you get your cannons. But I'm not sure if easier means better in the long run. I guess it depends on the strategy you're going for, though I think 300 minerals is a bit much before you get your gateways up, but I'll take a look at the build anyway.
To live is to fight, to fight is to live!
onewaystyx
Profile Joined September 2011
Switzerland46 Posts
April 29 2013 17:35 GMT
#27
On April 30 2013 01:27 AGIANTSMURF wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 29 2013 23:58 onewaystyx wrote:
This build is pretty much the same as a 1gate->msc->nexus->fast robo->fast colo

Or at least it fulfills the same purpose. What i dont understand is, why you go for such an early forge for those cannons when you could just get out the fast robo, get out 2 observers (one for his base one for yours), get out fast colos and 3 more gates and youll still end up at the same point at 8 minutes, just that you wont have slowed yourself down unnecesarily with the early forge, when you can just drop a doulbe forge at 8 minutes and quickly recoup the time lost on your first upgrade of choice. Also youll be farther in tech and wont have to waste another 300 minerals on cannons in your mineral line. Im only mid masters EU so id really like to hear your gm opinion on why you do it the way you do and not the way that i just posted here. :D


Its really just a matter of preference, some small advantages in my build include a faster nexus and sentries. I dont like going fast colossus into double forge because its very gas heavy and vulnerable to drop heavy playstyles. My mid game preference is to go for fast blink or for a mid game dt drop. While its possible to go for either of these with the fast robo as you described, things seem to flow much better for me with my build order.

You could use units and an observer to stop widow mine drops, but that requires you to have the units. At a standard widow mine drop timing my army count is small, It's easier to stop a widow mine drop with a cannon in my opinion because there is no risk of the widow mine killing the cannon to a mis micro.

The cannon also serves a purpose in the mid game in helping to defend against other drops.

Its only a waste of 300 minerals if the terran does not go for any form of harass, which these days is rarely the case. If I feel as if the terran is not going for harassment then I do not build the cannons.

Overall, I'm not saying my build is necessarily better than the one you described, it just offers a different approach. Some people (like myself) might find it easier and more effective to defend widow mine drop with a cannon, others might find it better with a forge. Honestly you should try learning both so that you can catch people off-guard when they think they know you're opening


Okay i see your point. We just play different builds i guess. I opt to go for a later nexus and a bit more units a bit earlier so i can defend vs widow mines with obs and army. By doing so i cant get an early forge but much rather get two at 8 minutes. Similiar builds, just some slight differences. What the main thing is though, is that i opt to go for templar archives and hts while i get my third instead of blink stalkers and dts. So i prefer a much more straight up macro approach the to MU.

I also dont like to get the mid game stalkers and dts. These two units i get only in the late game, which is probably why i use the build i do, since i can then invest the excess gas into the doulbe ups, colo tech and then a bit later hts.

Both builds work i guess, but the thing with the cannons keeps bothering me x) If you have such an early msc i think that you could easily defend vs widow mine drops with nexus cannons + the few units you have. I really think (especially as a grandmaster) that you can micro well enough and react fast enough to cut the two cannons. I mean those are two gates more that youll have then.
:D
AGIANTSMURF
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1232 Posts
April 29 2013 17:39 GMT
#28
On April 30 2013 02:13 vhapter wrote:
I think there's a better way to MSC expand in PvT:

(a) If you want to skip the early sentry and just get 3 stalkers once wg is finished, you go 13 gate 13 gas (delay second chrono) --> MSC expand (gas pylon afterwards) --> robo at 4:40 --> stalker at 5:00 --> 2nd gateway at 5:15. Warp in 2 stalkers once wg is finished. This is super safe against widow mines, but I think it may not be as safe against hellions without medivacs. I haven't tried to figure out hellion timings though.

(b) If you want a stalker + sentry to block your ramp against hellions (or for w/e reason you think an early sentry is necessary), you go double gas at 15 --> MSC expand (pylon afterwards) --> 1 sentry then 3 stalkers --> robo at 5:00. With this version of the build, your second gateway is delayed for a while (or skipped). I haven't practiced this one yet, but this is the new MSC expand version Tails has started doing recently.

Neither of these 2 includes a zealot, though you can start it and then cancel it to avoid getting ebay blocked. I don't find double forge colossus vulnerable to drops at all though. I noticed the games I've lost recently was because I didn't get 16 probes on minerals in each base by 8:40 (so my gateways were late and I missed an essential warp in wave that takes place before you can open them) - which is when you should cut probes in order to get your extra gateways up (total of 6). At this point, I already have 3 stalkers + 3 observers + 4 sentries and a colossus that starts at about 8:00. I believe once you start your upgrades, which is soon after you built your gateways, you have to warp in 2 more stalkers. You can use observers to spot drops at the main, keep stalkers by your ramp (depending on the map), 4 sentries + colossus at natural, and MSC in between both bases (again, map dependent). At 9:50-10:00, you warp in 6 extra units and defend. But if you mess up like I did the other game and have only 3 stalkers + 4 sentries + colossus after 10 minutes, the build is definitely going to fail vs a good drop. You need to make sure your timings are sharp to build truly safe.

PS: I haven't checked your cannon timings exactly. I might actually be easier to defend against early aggression depending on how fast you get your cannons. But I'm not sure if easier means better in the long run. I guess it depends on the strategy you're going for, though I think 300 minerals is a bit much before you get your gateways up, but I'll take a look at the build anyway.


In wings of liberty I did a variation of this build that got 3 fast stalkers and a fast robo for map control, however stalkers are very mineral heavy and limit the money spent on powering econ. The whole point of my build is to be very army minimal in the early game so that I can power economy as much as possible. Assuming they do not opt for widow mine drops I'm powering my economy as much as possible while also staying safe from EVERYTHING while also being able to SCOUT and REACT to anything. this build is a jack of all trades.
Thats "Grand-Master" SMURF to you.....
vhapter
Profile Joined May 2010
Brazil677 Posts
April 29 2013 18:23 GMT
#29
Going for an early forge + 300 minerals worth of cannons is actually more expensive early on. You most likely do not cut probes with your build, but I can assure you 3 stalkers total at 6:30 requires NO probe cut either until you have 16 probes on minerals in each base. In fact, you spend a chrono on your gateway while I spend none. I can see how a second and third stalker delay a player's double forge timing, but that's tech, not economy (not to mention double forge with anything but a single stalker + MSC is pretty greedy, even though it is totally safe against 10 minute medivac timings). Skipping stalkers wouldn't make the build I mentioned more economical at all, just more tech oriented.

I'll take a look at this build later. I don't think I'll get such an early forge instead of my dearly beloved stalkers, but I may be able to get some ideas or at least see how it works compared to how I play.
To live is to fight, to fight is to live!
Efemral
Profile Joined July 2010
Australia67 Posts
April 29 2013 23:16 GMT
#30
Thanks for the interesting guide!

I'm quite new to protoss so this question may be silly, but when do you get first gas?

I noticed "22 gas (second)" but can't find where you do the first one. (Perhaps this is so standard most protoss players already know?)
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
iSTime
Profile Joined November 2006
1579 Posts
April 29 2013 23:34 GMT
#31
vhapter (and whomever else), if you want to post the build order you use in PvT, I'll run both build orders and make a comparison between what units you have at various points in time sometime next weekend.
www.infinityseven.net
vhapter
Profile Joined May 2010
Brazil677 Posts
April 30 2013 00:07 GMT
#32
On April 30 2013 08:34 iSTime wrote:
vhapter (and whomever else), if you want to post the build order you use in PvT, I'll run both build orders and make a comparison between what units you have at various points in time sometime next weekend.

Sure man. I'll see if I can post it as soon as I have enough time.
To live is to fight, to fight is to live!
CryMore
Profile Joined March 2010
United States497 Posts
April 30 2013 01:27 GMT
#33
Just did this build a couple times, its pretty damn good against all this funky drop play terrans do, that cannon is really useful. One small variation i did was instead of getting a 3rd sentry I got +1 armor started very quickly and got a zealot instead. I find that I don't need as many sentries because of the mothership core.
"What wins? 3-base Protoss or 2-base Zerg?" "1-base Terran"
Rantech
Profile Joined April 2010
Chile527 Posts
April 30 2013 02:09 GMT
#34
Deffinitely gonna try this opening cuz with my actual one i am always only 3 /4 workers ahead, not enough !.
thx for posting.
onewaystyx
Profile Joined September 2011
Switzerland46 Posts
April 30 2013 14:01 GMT
#35
On April 30 2013 08:34 iSTime wrote:
vhapter (and whomever else), if you want to post the build order you use in PvT, I'll run both build orders and make a comparison between what units you have at various points in time sometime next weekend.


Ill be sure to post mine as well :D
:D
Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-30 21:17:06
April 30 2013 21:16 GMT
#36
--- Nuked ---
Bahamuth
Profile Joined September 2011
134 Posts
April 30 2013 21:18 GMT
#37
Thanks for the guide. I have a question.

Why do you get a second Gate? Do you really need a 4th Sentry? I don't think its been standard to get 4 Sentries in PvT for quite some time now. You could add the Robo instead of the 4th Sentry and 2nd Gate early, and then just get 2 gates later.
Teno
Profile Joined November 2011
Germany80 Posts
April 30 2013 23:24 GMT
#38
Since i play your style, I won every pvt #lolloveyou
PROtoss
bertu
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Brazil871 Posts
May 01 2013 23:29 GMT
#39
A cool thing of having a forge early is that you can start +1 armor somewhat soon, than +1 attack and forge+TC when +1 is at 50% and have 2-2 going ony slightly later than the typical double forge opening. You can cancel the upgrades and get stalker or cannon if early pressure is coming.

You end up with the same infrastructure as the double forge build against the 10-10:30 bio timing if Terran didn't harass, but you have the possibility of earlier cannons. Pretty cool build.
SEKO SEKO SEKO
Sharkyloft
Profile Joined December 2010
Colombia69 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-04 02:48:52
May 04 2013 02:47 GMT
#40
Great guide,

I like how you explain the build, Im eager to try it. I have a question. What do you do against the other races? Do you have a "be the leaf" build when playing against P or Z?

Thanks!
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 10m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech154
UpATreeSC 146
JuggernautJason84
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 214
Dewaltoss 111
Hyuk 67
Bale 18
League of Legends
Doublelift2082
Counter-Strike
fl0m1516
Fnx 753
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King91
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5096
Khaldor1039
crisheroes894
Liquid`Hasu610
Other Games
summit1g8006
FrodaN3110
shahzam435
KnowMe330
XBOCT308
C9.Mang0191
ArmadaUGS130
ZombieGrub45
Trikslyr28
CosmosSc2 21
PPMD14
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV249
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream54
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH355
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2997
Other Games
• imaqtpie844
• Shiphtur281
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 10m
CranKy Ducklings
13h 10m
Online Event
14h 10m
FEL
19h 10m
AI Arena Tournament
20h 10m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
22h 10m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 13h
INu's Battles
1d 15h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.