• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:23
CEST 02:23
KST 09:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8850 users

[G]/[D] Why You Lose and How to Win -Using APM effectively…

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 12 Next All
cork
Profile Joined June 2012
34 Posts
June 23 2012 11:09 GMT
#121
hmm this guide is good in its core but you seem to assume lower lvl players have lower apm. I think most players are in the lower leagues because of tactics. Take me for an example, i have around 300 apm and 170+ eapm(According to sc2gears) and i am in platinum. My mechanics is of the hook, i never miss a drop on the minimap(i play zerg) and my creepspread is amazing. BUT my tactics ingame is fucking bad. I get cheesed out in like 80 % of my games because i play zerg...

Because of my good mechanics i can do all those things pro's do on their stream because i got even better mechanics than some pro players. I can do everything you said i shouldn't do and still be platinum...
"you underestimate my power" - Anakin Skywalker before injury
MrLlama
Profile Joined December 2010
United States454 Posts
June 23 2012 16:00 GMT
#122
On June 23 2012 20:09 cork wrote:
hmm this guide is good in its core but you seem to assume lower lvl players have lower apm. I think most players are in the lower leagues because of tactics. Take me for an example, i have around 300 apm and 170+ eapm(According to sc2gears) and i am in platinum. My mechanics is of the hook, i never miss a drop on the minimap(i play zerg) and my creepspread is amazing. BUT my tactics ingame is fucking bad. I get cheesed out in like 80 % of my games because i play zerg...

Because of my good mechanics i can do all those things pro's do on their stream because i got even better mechanics than some pro players. I can do everything you said i shouldn't do and still be platinum...


Well as I've kind of said before, plat and diamond is where you start to get to that middle ground. It's where PURELY macro will not win you a game, but the funny thing is a lot of times once you get down some of the necessary tactics/mechanics, it's actually macro that will move you out of the league and up a notch.

Another thing to note is you have the same symptom that most people have and I've explained this before. You have the "I can't get much better in a certain area symptom" which I think is pretty obvious to see considering you believe your mechanics are better than some pros. This is very common around your level and I'm going to assume you're someone who has said you are a high plat/low diamond league player before because you think that's where you deserve to be.

PM me with a replay and I'll follow through and give you a quick 3 goals to jump you to the next league. My guess is I'll find places for better macro, better engagements needed, and maybe some basic things like simply getting down an evo chamber to be safe earlier.
www.youtube.com/mrllamasc << Casting & Analysis Videos
Emporium
Profile Joined May 2012
England162 Posts
June 23 2012 16:35 GMT
#123
Firstly PMed.

secondly could you elaborate more on this 30 apm idea, i think its exactly what lower level players need, if would have to have everything going at that speed, so even engagements etc

but if you can show just how to defend at that APM level then it would be really cool
Remember your mortality.
-Kira
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
352 Posts
June 23 2012 16:36 GMT
#124
On June 09 2012 07:05 MrLlama wrote:
To cut to the chase, people misuse their APM. The biggest REASON for this misuse is because people watch pro replays and streams, see the little details that win games for the pros, and then try to apply those same things to their gameplay.


I think there hasn't been a single time that i've had higher APM than my enemy (except when being matched vs lower leagues at the start of the season). Whether i win or lose i always have lower APM, sometimes, my enemy has twice my APM (and EPM) and i'm stil able to outmultitask them in 30 min macro games. At the end of a replay i check the APM and it's always lower. - EU Masters.
cork
Profile Joined June 2012
34 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-09 19:20:00
June 23 2012 16:55 GMT
#125
On June 24 2012 01:00 MrLlama wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2012 20:09 cork wrote:
hmm this guide is good in its core but you seem to assume lower lvl players have lower apm. I think most players are in the lower leagues because of tactics. Take me for an example, i have around 300 apm and 170+ eapm(According to sc2gears) and i am in platinum. My mechanics is of the hook, i never miss a drop on the minimap(i play zerg) and my creepspread is amazing. BUT my tactics ingame is fucking bad. I get cheesed out in like 80 % of my games because i play zerg...

Because of my good mechanics i can do all those things pro's do on their stream because i got even better mechanics than some pro players. I can do everything you said i shouldn't do and still be platinum...



Another thing to note is you have the same symptom that most people have and I've explained this before. You have the "I can't get much better in a certain area symptom" which I think is pretty obvious to see considering you believe your mechanics are better than some pros. This is very common around your level and I'm going to assume you're someone who has said you are a high plat/low diamond league player before because you think that's where you deserve to be.
.



Thats just plain wrong... Ive played around 1000 games against plat people and NONE of them had an eapm over 135, i have an eapm around 160 - 175. I looked at the pros eapm and the best have around 170 to 250 while the lower pros have around my eapm. Its not COMMON that players around plat think they have good mechanics.
"you underestimate my power" - Anakin Skywalker before injury
MrLlama
Profile Joined December 2010
United States454 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-23 17:09:12
June 23 2012 17:03 GMT
#126
On June 24 2012 01:35 Emporium wrote:
Firstly PMed.

secondly could you elaborate more on this 30 apm idea, i think its exactly what lower level players need, if would have to have everything going at that speed, so even engagements etc

but if you can show just how to defend at that APM level then it would be really cool


Yeah basically I think there are 2 big things that lower level players deal with
1. Poor macro because they are trying to do too many things (which is what this whole thread is about)
2. Unsure of what to do when they get cheesed/dropped/pressured. The pros use 250apm and fly around the screen to deal with everything and it's hard to determine what the most important actions were. I'm going to use 30apm to slowly defend and go over every important step by step detail to go through to defend something.

On June 24 2012 01:36 -Kira wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 09 2012 07:05 MrLlama wrote:
To cut to the chase, people misuse their APM. The biggest REASON for this misuse is because people watch pro replays and streams, see the little details that win games for the pros, and then try to apply those same things to their gameplay.


I think there hasn't been a single time that i've had higher APM than my enemy (except when being matched vs lower leagues at the start of the season). Whether i win or lose i always have lower APM, sometimes, my enemy has twice my APM (and EPM) and i'm stil able to outmultitask them in 30 min macro games. At the end of a replay i check the APM and it's always lower. - EU Masters.


Yeah I believe that. First off, what race do you play? That can make a difference as protoss needs less apm than terran or zerg usually. Also, using APM effectively is really what matters. A lot of people spam more apm for less important actions and they can still easily lose the game.

in SC2 you only really need like 70apm to do everything you truly want to do. Anything above that is nice but not necessary to at least get into masters.


On June 24 2012 01:55 cork wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On June 24 2012 01:00 MrLlama wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2012 20:09 cork wrote:
hmm this guide is good in its core but you seem to assume lower lvl players have lower apm. I think most players are in the lower leagues because of tactics. Take me for an example, i have around 300 apm and 170+ eapm(According to sc2gears) and i am in platinum. My mechanics is of the hook, i never miss a drop on the minimap(i play zerg) and my creepspread is amazing. BUT my tactics ingame is fucking bad. I get cheesed out in like 80 % of my games because i play zerg...

Because of my good mechanics i can do all those things pro's do on their stream because i got even better mechanics than some pro players. I can do everything you said i shouldn't do and still be platinum...



Another thing to note is you have the same symptom that most people have and I've explained this before. You have the "I can't get much better in a certain area symptom" which I think is pretty obvious to see considering you believe your mechanics are better than some pros. This is very common around your level and I'm going to assume you're someone who has said you are a high plat/low diamond league player before because you think that's where you deserve to be.
.



Thats just plain wrong... Ive played around 1000 games against plat people and NONE of them had an eapm over 135, i have an eapm around 160 - 175. I looked at the pros eapm and the best have around 170 to 250 while the lower pros have around my eapm. Its not COMMON that players around plat think they have good mechanics.


I think you are confusing apm (or eapm) with mechanics. I can spam a lot of actions and lose tons of games, or I can use 40eapm and win lots of game at a level higher than yours. That's just your ability to click a lot, how you USE that apm is what matters. It's definitely better to have more than less though when learning how to use it importantly.
www.youtube.com/mrllamasc << Casting & Analysis Videos
Exoteric
Profile Joined January 2011
Australia2330 Posts
June 23 2012 17:11 GMT
#127
On June 24 2012 01:55 cork wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 24 2012 01:00 MrLlama wrote:
On June 23 2012 20:09 cork wrote:
hmm this guide is good in its core but you seem to assume lower lvl players have lower apm. I think most players are in the lower leagues because of tactics. Take me for an example, i have around 300 apm and 170+ eapm(According to sc2gears) and i am in platinum. My mechanics is of the hook, i never miss a drop on the minimap(i play zerg) and my creepspread is amazing. BUT my tactics ingame is fucking bad. I get cheesed out in like 80 % of my games because i play zerg...

Because of my good mechanics i can do all those things pro's do on their stream because i got even better mechanics than some pro players. I can do everything you said i shouldn't do and still be platinum...



Another thing to note is you have the same symptom that most people have and I've explained this before. You have the "I can't get much better in a certain area symptom" which I think is pretty obvious to see considering you believe your mechanics are better than some pros. This is very common around your level and I'm going to assume you're someone who has said you are a high plat/low diamond league player before because you think that's where you deserve to be.
.



Thats just plain wrong... Ive played around 1000 games against plat people and NONE of them had an eapm over 135, i have an eapm around 160 - 175. I looked at the pros eapm and the best have around 170 to 250 while the lower pros have around my eapm. Its not COMMON that players around plat think they have good mechanics.


Unless you post replays of your 'amazing mechanics' that are superior to pro players, you can't really expect us to take what you're saying seriously.
hell is other people
cork
Profile Joined June 2012
34 Posts
June 23 2012 17:15 GMT
#128
On June 24 2012 02:03 MrLlama wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 24 2012 01:35 Emporium wrote:
Firstly PMed.

secondly could you elaborate more on this 30 apm idea, i think its exactly what lower level players need, if would have to have everything going at that speed, so even engagements etc

but if you can show just how to defend at that APM level then it would be really cool


Yeah basically I think there are 2 big things that lower level players deal with
1. Poor macro because they are trying to do too many things (which is what this whole thread is about)
2. Unsure of what to do when they get cheesed/dropped/pressured. The pros use 250apm and fly around the screen to deal with everything and it's hard to determine what the most important actions were. I'm going to use 30apm to slowly defend and go over every important step by step detail to go through to defend something.

Show nested quote +
On June 24 2012 01:36 -Kira wrote:
On June 09 2012 07:05 MrLlama wrote:
To cut to the chase, people misuse their APM. The biggest REASON for this misuse is because people watch pro replays and streams, see the little details that win games for the pros, and then try to apply those same things to their gameplay.


I think there hasn't been a single time that i've had higher APM than my enemy (except when being matched vs lower leagues at the start of the season). Whether i win or lose i always have lower APM, sometimes, my enemy has twice my APM (and EPM) and i'm stil able to outmultitask them in 30 min macro games. At the end of a replay i check the APM and it's always lower. - EU Masters.


Yeah I believe that. First off, what race do you play? That can make a difference as protoss needs less apm than terran or zerg usually. Also, using APM effectively is really what matters. A lot of people spam more apm for less important actions and they can still easily lose the game.

in SC2 you only really need like 70apm to do everything you truly want to do. Anything above that is nice but not necessary to at least get into masters.


Show nested quote +
On June 24 2012 01:55 cork wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On June 24 2012 01:00 MrLlama wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2012 20:09 cork wrote:
hmm this guide is good in its core but you seem to assume lower lvl players have lower apm. I think most players are in the lower leagues because of tactics. Take me for an example, i have around 300 apm and 170+ eapm(According to sc2gears) and i am in platinum. My mechanics is of the hook, i never miss a drop on the minimap(i play zerg) and my creepspread is amazing. BUT my tactics ingame is fucking bad. I get cheesed out in like 80 % of my games because i play zerg...

Because of my good mechanics i can do all those things pro's do on their stream because i got even better mechanics than some pro players. I can do everything you said i shouldn't do and still be platinum...



Another thing to note is you have the same symptom that most people have and I've explained this before. You have the "I can't get much better in a certain area symptom" which I think is pretty obvious to see considering you believe your mechanics are better than some pros. This is very common around your level and I'm going to assume you're someone who has said you are a high plat/low diamond league player before because you think that's where you deserve to be.
.



Thats just plain wrong... Ive played around 1000 games against plat people and NONE of them had an eapm over 135, i have an eapm around 160 - 175. I looked at the pros eapm and the best have around 170 to 250 while the lower pros have around my eapm. Its not COMMON that players around plat think they have good mechanics.


I think you are confusing apm (or eapm) with mechanics. I can spam a lot of actions and lose tons of games, or I can use 40eapm and win lots of game at a level higher than yours. That's just your ability to click a lot, how you USE that apm is what matters. It's definitely better to have more than less though when learning how to use it importantly.



but eapm takes away spam and show just the EFFECTIVE actions...
"you underestimate my power" - Anakin Skywalker before injury
MrLlama
Profile Joined December 2010
United States454 Posts
June 23 2012 17:16 GMT
#129
On June 24 2012 02:15 cork wrote:
but eapm takes away spam and show just the EFFECTIVE actions...


Effective doesn't mean it's effective in terms of advancing your game play. It just means it's not a spammed action. I could boost my EAPM by cancelling units I create individually, that doesn't mean it's actually effective.
www.youtube.com/mrllamasc << Casting & Analysis Videos
oZii
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1198 Posts
June 23 2012 17:19 GMT
#130
Ok what I have done so far is take what you have said and kind of tweaked it a bit and it seems to work so far.


Most of my games consist of making roaches and lings in ZvT and ZvZ.

In ZvP I am using roaches and lings with a rough stephano style max. Rough meaning can't perform it to profection but have general concept down.

Zerg is different as you said so what I have been doing is basically focusing on the openers i.e. hatch first or pool first 15/15,14/14. I still scout can't break that habit as I was diamond toss so I do still scout even though Im silver zerg after my break from the game.

Basically I am preparing for what the basic unit comps I will face at stages be it immortals or bio and tanks. So I am not focusing on a build really just a rough draft I guess just having what I think I need at what times. Its been working pretty good so far. Lings and roaches pretty much covers everything I play at my level. ZvZ is another story right now though as those games actually seem to go longer I just go 14/14 and go from there. Never realized how much defenders advantage comes into play in zvz.
cork
Profile Joined June 2012
34 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-23 17:22:39
June 23 2012 17:22 GMT
#131
On June 24 2012 02:11 Exoteric wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 24 2012 01:55 cork wrote:
On June 24 2012 01:00 MrLlama wrote:
On June 23 2012 20:09 cork wrote:
hmm this guide is good in its core but you seem to assume lower lvl players have lower apm. I think most players are in the lower leagues because of tactics. Take me for an example, i have around 300 apm and 170+ eapm(According to sc2gears) and i am in platinum. My mechanics is of the hook, i never miss a drop on the minimap(i play zerg) and my creepspread is amazing. BUT my tactics ingame is fucking bad. I get cheesed out in like 80 % of my games because i play zerg...

Because of my good mechanics i can do all those things pro's do on their stream because i got even better mechanics than some pro players. I can do everything you said i shouldn't do and still be platinum...



Another thing to note is you have the same symptom that most people have and I've explained this before. You have the "I can't get much better in a certain area symptom" which I think is pretty obvious to see considering you believe your mechanics are better than some pros. This is very common around your level and I'm going to assume you're someone who has said you are a high plat/low diamond league player before because you think that's where you deserve to be.
.



Thats just plain wrong... Ive played around 1000 games against plat people and NONE of them had an eapm over 135, i have an eapm around 160 - 175. I looked at the pros eapm and the best have around 170 to 250 while the lower pros have around my eapm. Its not COMMON that players around plat think they have good mechanics.


Unless you post replays of your 'amazing mechanics' that are superior to pro players, you can't really expect us to take what you're saying seriously.


here are some replays from today

http://drop.sc/202808

http://drop.sc/202809

http://drop.sc/202810
"you underestimate my power" - Anakin Skywalker before injury
MrLlama
Profile Joined December 2010
United States454 Posts
June 23 2012 17:49 GMT
#132
On June 24 2012 02:19 oZii wrote:
Ok what I have done so far is take what you have said and kind of tweaked it a bit and it seems to work so far.


Most of my games consist of making roaches and lings in ZvT and ZvZ.

In ZvP I am using roaches and lings with a rough stephano style max. Rough meaning can't perform it to profection but have general concept down.

Zerg is different as you said so what I have been doing is basically focusing on the openers i.e. hatch first or pool first 15/15,14/14. I still scout can't break that habit as I was diamond toss so I do still scout even though Im silver zerg after my break from the game.

Basically I am preparing for what the basic unit comps I will face at stages be it immortals or bio and tanks. So I am not focusing on a build really just a rough draft I guess just having what I think I need at what times. Its been working pretty good so far. Lings and roaches pretty much covers everything I play at my level. ZvZ is another story right now though as those games actually seem to go longer I just go 14/14 and go from there. Never realized how much defenders advantage comes into play in zvz.


glad to know it's working. Yeah roach ling can beat almost anything. Even if they go air just get queens and spores at home and a mass ling army can crush them lol.

And zvz is just a strange match up. Defender has a huge advantage though because of the fact that the attacker NEEDS to do something, whether it be force units or kill drones or whatever because if he doesn't he is behind.
www.youtube.com/mrllamasc << Casting & Analysis Videos
cork
Profile Joined June 2012
34 Posts
June 23 2012 18:04 GMT
#133
On June 24 2012 02:16 MrLlama wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 24 2012 02:15 cork wrote:
but eapm takes away spam and show just the EFFECTIVE actions...


Effective doesn't mean it's effective in terms of advancing your game play. It just means it's not a spammed action. I could boost my EAPM by cancelling units I create individually, that doesn't mean it's actually effective.


here are some replays from today. Can you take a look at them and give me your expertise. Thanks in advance.

http://drop.sc/202808

http://drop.sc/202809

http://drop.sc/202810
"you underestimate my power" - Anakin Skywalker before injury
Noruxas
Profile Joined April 2012
Netherlands129 Posts
June 23 2012 18:05 GMT
#134
I totally disagree with this entire thread lol. Idk if its just because of the diffirence in skill on servers, but from gold league of its no longer just macro man. To win you have to scout good, micro well and all those things. The times where all you needed to get into diamond or master was macro is over. The thing that got me the most as a terran though:
"I think this is a great time to start thinking about drops as a terran player." --In platinum....
Srsly? I started dropping in TvZ since bronze, and it is basicly a way to win a game.Well, theres more but I just want to say you think a bit too low of the lower leagues.
MVP - MMA - Flash - Polt - Gumiho - Jiakji - Last
Emporium
Profile Joined May 2012
England162 Posts
June 23 2012 18:06 GMT
#135
Definitely see what you mean now, thank you for the help, really appreciate it.


SKepticism is good!
Remember your mortality.
Emporium
Profile Joined May 2012
England162 Posts
June 23 2012 18:43 GMT
#136
On June 24 2012 03:05 Noruxas wrote:
I totally disagree with this entire thread lol. Idk if its just because of the diffirence in skill on servers, but from gold league of its no longer just macro man. To win you have to scout good, micro well and all those things. The times where all you needed to get into diamond or master was macro is over. The thing that got me the most as a terran though:
"I think this is a great time to start thinking about drops as a terran player." --In platinum....
Srsly? I started dropping in TvZ since bronze, and it is basicly a way to win a game.Well, theres more but I just want to say you think a bit too low of the lower leagues.



LOL, this is funny cos like 10 posts earlier i say the same thing.


I think that MRLlama is trying to say is not that you shouldnt drop, just that if you macro more, the you shoudlnt be dropping at these levels because if you macro perfectly your so far ahead then it is more efficient to not drop cos you can just a-move your army and win.


i just played him, and the macro level difference meant that by 16min mark he had a 40 supply lead.

So to re-iterate, i think he means, that there is no point in doing drops at this level because if you macro properly, then you will be so far ahead, that the dropping doesnt gain you as much as just macroing hard does.

because you can then just a-move and win.(by having a supply lead, and better economy so that even if you lose, you can respawn quicker etc.)

And i think your forgetting that Dropping is to try and gain an edge when you and your opponent are of similar level, well bronze to gold, generally it is just practicing build orders and executing them perfectly, and you win. I suspect that the reason you won the matches you did at the lower levels was less to do with the fact that you dropped but more to do with the fact that you just macroed better than your opponent.

Bear in mind i said less likely, not, not at all.
Remember your mortality.
MrLlama
Profile Joined December 2010
United States454 Posts
June 23 2012 18:47 GMT
#137
On June 24 2012 03:43 Emporium wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 24 2012 03:05 Noruxas wrote:
I totally disagree with this entire thread lol. Idk if its just because of the diffirence in skill on servers, but from gold league of its no longer just macro man. To win you have to scout good, micro well and all those things. The times where all you needed to get into diamond or master was macro is over. The thing that got me the most as a terran though:
"I think this is a great time to start thinking about drops as a terran player." --In platinum....
Srsly? I started dropping in TvZ since bronze, and it is basicly a way to win a game.Well, theres more but I just want to say you think a bit too low of the lower leagues.



LOL, this is funny cos like 10 posts earlier i say the same thing.


I think that MRLlama is trying to say is not that you shouldnt drop, just that if you macro more, the you shoudlnt be dropping at these levels because if you macro perfectly your so far ahead then it is more efficient to not drop cos you can just a-move your army and win.


i just played him, and the macro level difference meant that by 16min mark he had a 40 supply lead.

So to re-iterate, i think he means, that there is no point in doing drops at this level because if you macro properly, then you will be so far ahead, that the dropping doesnt gain you as much as just macroing hard does.

because you can then just a-move and win.(by having a supply lead, and better economy so that even if you lose, you can respawn quicker etc.)

And i think your forgetting that Dropping is to try and gain an edge when you and your opponent are of similar level, well bronze to gold, generally it is just practicing build orders and executing them perfectly, and you win. I suspect that the reason you won the matches you did at the lower levels was less to do with the fact that you dropped but more to do with the fact that you just macroed better than your opponent.

Bear in mind i said less likely, not, not at all.


Something along those lines.

You probably can win a few games by doing a drop and your opponent being terrible at defending drops.

you can also win a game by 6 pooling.

What does that really do for you in the long run?

He dropped me and killed 4-5 drones but I was already ahead on drones, 2 bases ahead, and ahead in my upgrades/tech. If he spent the energy of playing to just focus on improving on his macro, he would have been better off than just doing a little damage with a drop.
www.youtube.com/mrllamasc << Casting & Analysis Videos
kruxey
Profile Joined September 2011
Bulgaria168 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-24 09:53:24
June 23 2012 19:35 GMT
#138
I went from bronze to diamond and I feel that when I was in silver I followed your advice for gold,when I was in gold I followed you plat advice and so on. What Im trying to say is that I feel that the game has "evolved" and every league has gotten harder.

Still awesome advice^^ .
TheBigCohooNah
Profile Joined June 2012
United States9 Posts
June 26 2012 16:57 GMT
#139
very good work, Ive been watching filtersc bronze to masters zerg and am noticing a lot of correlation between this post and his videos!
houffy
Profile Joined February 2012
United States12 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-26 17:16:55
June 26 2012 17:16 GMT
#140
nice OP. it is nice to have an idea of what I should be focusing on at different levels of play. also, I think there are some things I do well ahead of my rank (muta micro), but also a lot of things I don't do well that you say lower leverl players should focus on. I think this gives me an idea of what I need to work on improving. anyways, thx for the post.
www.twitch.tv/houffy / www.youtube.com/houffy7
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 12 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 38m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 211
SpeCial 135
ViBE97
Nathanias 66
ProTech29
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12169
Rain 1521
GuemChi 976
Artosis 672
Bale 11
Dota 2
monkeys_forever407
Counter-Strike
minikerr2
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox849
Mew2King98
Other Games
summit1g6480
shahzam714
WinterStarcraft480
JimRising 415
C9.Mang0323
Trikslyr52
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick739
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream47
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 97
• davetesta21
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur292
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
9h 38m
INu's Battles
10h 38m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
12h 38m
OSC
21h 53m
Replay Cast
22h 38m
OSC
1d 22h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.