• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:19
CEST 02:19
KST 09:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8170 users

[D] PvZ Beating Stephano Style Roaches - Page 40

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 38 39 40 41 42 78 Next
Please have some semblance of an idea of what you're talking about.
happyness
Profile Joined June 2010
United States2400 Posts
March 24 2012 00:49 GMT
#781
I just watched Huk vs Violet on Tal Darim(MLG). Huk went for +1 zealot aggression. He didn't kill the Hatch, but it significantly reduced the amount of drones Violet was able to make. I don't know if violet doesn't know about the stephano style, or if he just played sloppy, or if he over reacted, or if Huk did anything special.

This may have been discussed before, but what makes the +1 zealot timing not a "good" way to play in the current meta-game? Even if you don't take out the third you can still do significant damage by preventing drone production as far as I can tell.
scsnow
Profile Joined April 2010
Slovenia515 Posts
March 24 2012 00:51 GMT
#782
So huk basically did mass zeal push at zergs third into 2base all in with sentry immortal stalker...

How did Socke win vs Ret?
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
March 24 2012 00:52 GMT
#783
On March 24 2012 09:49 happyness wrote:
I just watched Huk vs Violet on Tal Darim(MLG). Huk went for +1 zealot aggression. He didn't kill the Hatch, but it significantly reduced the amount of drones Violet was able to make. I don't know if violet doesn't know about the stephano style, or if he just played sloppy, or if he over reacted, or if Huk did anything special.

This may have been discussed before, but what makes the +1 zealot timing not a "good" way to play in the current meta-game? Even if you don't take out the third you can still do significant damage by preventing drone production as far as I can tell.


I'd have to see the particular game, but in general, Z can have roaches for the timing, and roaches on creep are pretty good against zealots. The timing is good tho if you catch Z off guard. It sounds like Huk may have caught Violet slightly off balance and pressed the advantage for a while.
chestnutcc
Profile Joined July 2011
India429 Posts
March 24 2012 00:56 GMT
#784
Huk traded 15 zealots for a few lings, roaches and about a two thirds of the hatch's HP. Violet plays differently and has a known weakness to proxies (hasuobs got furious while casting at the HSC4 when JYP snuck a proxy in violet's main on tal'darim). In Huk's favour, he didnt cut probes and used a tonne of sentries and a retard magnet to smash violet's roach forces and hit a nice timing before infestors popped.
Thesper
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom37 Posts
March 24 2012 00:56 GMT
#785
On March 24 2012 09:49 happyness wrote:
I just watched Huk vs Violet on Tal Darim(MLG). Huk went for +1 zealot aggression. He didn't kill the Hatch, but it significantly reduced the amount of drones Violet was able to make. I don't know if violet doesn't know about the stephano style, or if he just played sloppy, or if he over reacted, or if Huk did anything special.

This may have been discussed before, but what makes the +1 zealot timing not a "good" way to play in the current meta-game? Even if you don't take out the third you can still do significant damage by preventing drone production as far as I can tell.


Violet got fast zergling speed and made 20-30 lings before 8 minutes in that game, before Huk did any agression, and then did nothing with them and then they all died to zealots. I think Violet lost because he intentionally tanked his economy for no obvious gain.
happyness
Profile Joined June 2010
United States2400 Posts
March 24 2012 01:11 GMT
#786
On March 24 2012 09:56 Thesper wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2012 09:49 happyness wrote:
I just watched Huk vs Violet on Tal Darim(MLG). Huk went for +1 zealot aggression. He didn't kill the Hatch, but it significantly reduced the amount of drones Violet was able to make. I don't know if violet doesn't know about the stephano style, or if he just played sloppy, or if he over reacted, or if Huk did anything special.

This may have been discussed before, but what makes the +1 zealot timing not a "good" way to play in the current meta-game? Even if you don't take out the third you can still do significant damage by preventing drone production as far as I can tell.


Violet got fast zergling speed and made 20-30 lings before 8 minutes in that game, before Huk did any agression, and then did nothing with them and then they all died to zealots. I think Violet lost because he intentionally tanked his economy for no obvious gain.


Ya you're probably right. I guess that game wasn't the best of examples.

I don't know why violet, a player of such high caliber, would do that, though.
Complete
Profile Joined October 2009
United States1864 Posts
March 24 2012 01:42 GMT
#787
On March 24 2012 10:11 happyness wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2012 09:56 Thesper wrote:
On March 24 2012 09:49 happyness wrote:
I just watched Huk vs Violet on Tal Darim(MLG). Huk went for +1 zealot aggression. He didn't kill the Hatch, but it significantly reduced the amount of drones Violet was able to make. I don't know if violet doesn't know about the stephano style, or if he just played sloppy, or if he over reacted, or if Huk did anything special.

This may have been discussed before, but what makes the +1 zealot timing not a "good" way to play in the current meta-game? Even if you don't take out the third you can still do significant damage by preventing drone production as far as I can tell.


Violet got fast zergling speed and made 20-30 lings before 8 minutes in that game, before Huk did any agression, and then did nothing with them and then they all died to zealots. I think Violet lost because he intentionally tanked his economy for no obvious gain.


Ya you're probably right. I guess that game wasn't the best of examples.

I don't know why violet, a player of such high caliber, would do that, though.


You have to do things like that sometimes. Punish greedy early few unit pushes, possibly get a runby, try to punish a super early 3rd (Kind of what kcdc/other people are talking about trying in this thread)
aebriol
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway2066 Posts
March 24 2012 01:42 GMT
#788
On March 24 2012 10:11 happyness wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2012 09:56 Thesper wrote:
On March 24 2012 09:49 happyness wrote:
I just watched Huk vs Violet on Tal Darim(MLG). Huk went for +1 zealot aggression. He didn't kill the Hatch, but it significantly reduced the amount of drones Violet was able to make. I don't know if violet doesn't know about the stephano style, or if he just played sloppy, or if he over reacted, or if Huk did anything special.

This may have been discussed before, but what makes the +1 zealot timing not a "good" way to play in the current meta-game? Even if you don't take out the third you can still do significant damage by preventing drone production as far as I can tell.


Violet got fast zergling speed and made 20-30 lings before 8 minutes in that game, before Huk did any agression, and then did nothing with them and then they all died to zealots. I think Violet lost because he intentionally tanked his economy for no obvious gain.


Ya you're probably right. I guess that game wasn't the best of examples.

I don't know why violet, a player of such high caliber, would do that, though.

Because Huk 8 gated him the game before, which he would have won if he had continued aggression instead of falling back and try to take his third, after taking down the third of Violet and pushing his natural.

You can't hold a 8 gate given equal skill with a normal 3 hatch droning style.
aebriol
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway2066 Posts
March 24 2012 01:44 GMT
#789
On March 24 2012 09:49 happyness wrote:
This may have been discussed before, but what makes the +1 zealot timing not a "good" way to play in the current meta-game? Even if you don't take out the third you can still do significant damage by preventing drone production as far as I can tell.

It's not good if you fall back on taking your third, and teching, because you allow the zerg to drone up and get enough ahead so he can punish you.

But if you do it MC style - follow up with 8 gate, 7 gate blink, or similar - it's great.
Korson
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States47 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-24 02:23:04
March 24 2012 02:22 GMT
#790
G1 Socke vs. Violet....Socke just tried to do a build similar to the one currently being theorized by Ranged and kcdc. Comparatively, Socke's 3rd was at about 8:30 and went gateways + blink + +2. Then he got killed by Violet's roaches with a natural runby on Antiga while getting pressured at the third at ~ 12 mins.

I thought this should be mentioned, because Socke's build was nearly identical to the one Ranged posted. Socke still lost pretty convincingly. Unless, Ranged's 3rd coming a minute earlier might make a difference.
Zariel
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Australia1312 Posts
March 24 2012 02:26 GMT
#791
I still don't understand why:

1) People opt for gateway expand

2) People who don't understand the benefits of stargate after core + phoenix play

I'm going to stress it out over and over the benefits of the phoenix play:

1) Scouting - Keeping tabs on the zerg, check what he REALLY is going for. Your probe/zealot/obs/stalkers WOULD NOT, I repeat WOULD NOT be able to fully scout the zerg base frequently as you think.

2) Queen sniping - The only way to keep a 3-base zerg production from doubling yours is to snipe queens with phoenixes frequently throughout the game until the zerg decides to build more than 4 spores.

3) Overlord hunting - unprotected overlords are just asking to be killed, however queens take priority. Killing stray overlords keeps the zerg in the dark against drop routes

4) Map awareness - you will know a) how many units he has (unless he has burrow), b) unit composition, c) drone saturation. You can also contest Xel naga towers better by killing those stray lings.

Things to note:

- You do not need to commit yourself to 2 stargates. 1 stargate is enough to pump out 5 phoenixes and additional ones very quickly already. The 2nd stargate stalls your tech to robo or archives too long and you wont have the units you want in time to deal with the zerg swarm.

- Very gas intensive, you need to take your third geyser once cybercore finishes in order to keep up with your tech paths, you would want the 4th geyser if your planning on a colossi 2 base push

- Air weapons +1. Start air weapons once you reach a count of 5-6, you will need it because the zerg will be getting carapace +1 soon and you need to keep up with the speed of killing queens.

- Your ground army should be preparing for an attack once you killed stray overlords, claimed xel-naga towers, +1 ground weapons and charge is nearly complete. Your phoenixes would have scouted whether the natural or the third has less defenses.

- If you see too many spines/spores being planted. Take your third and don't commit on the attack, it's not entirely efficient to bust down 4 spines with ling/roach support with gateway army, preserving your units for the deathball is more important than trading it away so early.

- You need to multitask, having your phoenixes inactive even for 30 seconds is not good, keep them hunting!
sup
HeyJude
Profile Joined July 2010
United States157 Posts
March 24 2012 02:36 GMT
#792
On March 24 2012 11:26 Zariel wrote:
I still don't understand why:

1) People opt for gateway expand

2) People who don't understand the benefits of stargate after core + phoenix play

I'm going to stress it out over and over the benefits of the phoenix play:

1) Scouting - Keeping tabs on the zerg, check what he REALLY is going for. Your probe/zealot/obs/stalkers WOULD NOT, I repeat WOULD NOT be able to fully scout the zerg base frequently as you think.

2) Queen sniping - The only way to keep a 3-base zerg production from doubling yours is to snipe queens with phoenixes frequently throughout the game until the zerg decides to build more than 4 spores.

3) Overlord hunting - unprotected overlords are just asking to be killed, however queens take priority. Killing stray overlords keeps the zerg in the dark against drop routes

4) Map awareness - you will know a) how many units he has (unless he has burrow), b) unit composition, c) drone saturation. You can also contest Xel naga towers better by killing those stray lings.

Things to note:

- You do not need to commit yourself to 2 stargates. 1 stargate is enough to pump out 5 phoenixes and additional ones very quickly already. The 2nd stargate stalls your tech to robo or archives too long and you wont have the units you want in time to deal with the zerg swarm.

- Very gas intensive, you need to take your third geyser once cybercore finishes in order to keep up with your tech paths, you would want the 4th geyser if your planning on a colossi 2 base push

- Air weapons +1. Start air weapons once you reach a count of 5-6, you will need it because the zerg will be getting carapace +1 soon and you need to keep up with the speed of killing queens.

- Your ground army should be preparing for an attack once you killed stray overlords, claimed xel-naga towers, +1 ground weapons and charge is nearly complete. Your phoenixes would have scouted whether the natural or the third has less defenses.

- If you see too many spines/spores being planted. Take your third and don't commit on the attack, it's not entirely efficient to bust down 4 spines with ling/roach support with gateway army, preserving your units for the deathball is more important than trading it away so early.

- You need to multitask, having your phoenixes inactive even for 30 seconds is not good, keep them hunting!


So do you build any void rays? I usually do so I can try to snipe the 3rd but voids take so much micro, I generally find phoenixs alone much easier to keep alive.
Alejandrisha
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States6566 Posts
March 24 2012 02:53 GMT
#793
i might start cutting the void ray as well. even though i like it for clearing towers, it helps get the gates, robo and +1 up much more quickly
get rich or die mining
TL+ Member
Astro-Penguin
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
554 Posts
March 24 2012 03:02 GMT
#794
On March 24 2012 11:53 Alejandrisha wrote:
i might start cutting the void ray as well. even though i like it for clearing towers, it helps get the gates, robo and +1 up much more quickly


Whenever I see Naniwa do the build he goes strictly Phoenix, I think if you make a void ray you should go for at least two in order to have any sort of harassment actually be a threat, also it helps to have one just sit at his potential fourth and fifth to deny.
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-24 05:12:58
March 24 2012 04:16 GMT
#795
On March 24 2012 08:57 RaNgeD wrote:
Alright so I took some of your advice kcdc, and I had a bit of insight of my own and this is the build that I came up with. It seems quite safe and I like the speed of the 3rd base (7:45~ish) In this replay the only mistake I saw was the fact that I didn't add my twilight on time, so my +2 is just a little late. Let me know what you think, and also if there are some ways to refine the build even more.

Note: I like to refine my builds in single player, so this isn't against anyone, but still, it's pretty realistic of how my game would look if the zerg takes 3 hatch.

http://drop.sc/140884


Looks very solid. 17 nexus 17 forge is a little risky, but people do it.

You might consider cutting the initial zealot and poking with the first stalker. You also made an extra pylon before your third that I don't think you needed. Cutting the zealot and starting the nexus before that pylon would get the third down to 7:00 or so instead of 7:20. You'll have to play around with the timing on the third gas. It might be worth getting the third nexus first--I haven't had a chance to play lately, so I'm not really sure.

I'd also take a long look at cutting hallucination. What information does it give you that you can't get any other way, and how would you react differently with that information? Given the scouting information you can get from seeing the fast third and poking with a stalker, what would you see with hallucination that would cause a deviation in your build? The roach timing and muta play would be the most common, and I think the response with this build would actually be the same. I guess you might deviate for infestors, but could you identify infestor tech in time for a planned deviation without hallucination? I'm not sure either way--it's just something to think about.

138 supply with +2, blink and robo at 12:00 is very impressive. That's a little wind-aided with the 17/17 opening, but the fact that a supply that high with the right composition and tech is possible is encouraging. I wonder what the limit will be.

I also like that you stuck with just 2 cannons to defend your third. I think over-cannoning is a tempting mistake that can come back to bite you when Z has multiple attack paths. With just 2 cannons tho, you should make sure they're set back at least 1 tile from your gateway wall (and preferably farther) so that roaches have to fight through your wall and forcefields to fire on your detection from over your wall. I think you did this, but it's a note for anyone else who wants to try it.

Lastly, yes, your blink and +2 was slightly late, but you had the resources for twilight earlier--you just forgot about it for a few seconds.

Oh, and another little trick that might be useful on some maps--since your third should be saturated before the roach/ling pressure starts and you're not walking immortals through your wall at your natural, you have the option to complete the wall at your natural when you confirm that the roach/ling pressure is coming. This would make sure lings don't sneak into your main on a map like Cloud Kingdom. It'd be less helpful against a roach runby.
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
March 24 2012 05:41 GMT
#796
On March 24 2012 13:16 kcdc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2012 08:57 RaNgeD wrote:
Alright so I took some of your advice kcdc, and I had a bit of insight of my own and this is the build that I came up with. It seems quite safe and I like the speed of the 3rd base (7:45~ish) In this replay the only mistake I saw was the fact that I didn't add my twilight on time, so my +2 is just a little late. Let me know what you think, and also if there are some ways to refine the build even more.

Note: I like to refine my builds in single player, so this isn't against anyone, but still, it's pretty realistic of how my game would look if the zerg takes 3 hatch.

http://drop.sc/140884


Looks very solid. 17 nexus 17 forge is a little risky, but people do it.

You might consider cutting the initial zealot and poking with the first stalker. You also made an extra pylon before your third that I don't think you needed. Cutting the zealot and starting the nexus before that pylon would get the third down to 7:00 or so instead of 7:20. You'll have to play around with the timing on the third gas. It might be worth getting the third nexus first--I haven't had a chance to play lately, so I'm not really sure.

I'd also take a long look at cutting hallucination. What information does it give you that you can't get any other way, and how would you react differently with that information? Given the scouting information you can get from seeing the fast third and poking with a stalker, what would you see with hallucination that would cause a deviation in your build? The roach timing and muta play would be the most common, and I think the response with this build would actually be the same. I guess you might deviate for infestors, but could you identify infestor tech in time for a planned deviation without hallucination? I'm not sure either way--it's just something to think about.

138 supply with +2, blink and robo at 12:00 is very impressive. That's a little wind-aided with the 17/17 opening, but the fact that a supply that high with the right composition and tech is possible is encouraging. I wonder what the limit will be.

I also like that you stuck with just 2 cannons to defend your third. I think over-cannoning is a tempting mistake that can come back to bite you when Z has multiple attack paths. With just 2 cannons tho, you should make sure they're set back at least 1 tile from your gateway wall (and preferably farther) so that roaches have to fight through your wall and forcefields to fire on your detection from over your wall. I think you did this, but it's a note for anyone else who wants to try it.

Lastly, yes, your blink and +2 was slightly late, but you had the resources for twilight earlier--you just forgot about it for a few seconds.

Oh, and another little trick that might be useful on some maps--since your third should be saturated before the roach/ling pressure starts and you're not walking immortals through your wall at your natural, you have the option to complete the wall at your natural when you confirm that the roach/ling pressure is coming. This would make sure lings don't sneak into your main on a map like Cloud Kingdom. It'd be less helpful against a roach runby.

I don't think 17 nexus 17 forge is safe on Antiga with that wallin even versus 14 pool. By safe I mean, 4 lings can still run up your ramp into your main before the cannon finishes.
Moderator
Turo
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada333 Posts
March 24 2012 05:48 GMT
#797
On March 24 2012 14:41 NrGmonk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2012 13:16 kcdc wrote:
On March 24 2012 08:57 RaNgeD wrote:
Alright so I took some of your advice kcdc, and I had a bit of insight of my own and this is the build that I came up with. It seems quite safe and I like the speed of the 3rd base (7:45~ish) In this replay the only mistake I saw was the fact that I didn't add my twilight on time, so my +2 is just a little late. Let me know what you think, and also if there are some ways to refine the build even more.

Note: I like to refine my builds in single player, so this isn't against anyone, but still, it's pretty realistic of how my game would look if the zerg takes 3 hatch.

http://drop.sc/140884


Looks very solid. 17 nexus 17 forge is a little risky, but people do it.

You might consider cutting the initial zealot and poking with the first stalker. You also made an extra pylon before your third that I don't think you needed. Cutting the zealot and starting the nexus before that pylon would get the third down to 7:00 or so instead of 7:20. You'll have to play around with the timing on the third gas. It might be worth getting the third nexus first--I haven't had a chance to play lately, so I'm not really sure.

I'd also take a long look at cutting hallucination. What information does it give you that you can't get any other way, and how would you react differently with that information? Given the scouting information you can get from seeing the fast third and poking with a stalker, what would you see with hallucination that would cause a deviation in your build? The roach timing and muta play would be the most common, and I think the response with this build would actually be the same. I guess you might deviate for infestors, but could you identify infestor tech in time for a planned deviation without hallucination? I'm not sure either way--it's just something to think about.

138 supply with +2, blink and robo at 12:00 is very impressive. That's a little wind-aided with the 17/17 opening, but the fact that a supply that high with the right composition and tech is possible is encouraging. I wonder what the limit will be.

I also like that you stuck with just 2 cannons to defend your third. I think over-cannoning is a tempting mistake that can come back to bite you when Z has multiple attack paths. With just 2 cannons tho, you should make sure they're set back at least 1 tile from your gateway wall (and preferably farther) so that roaches have to fight through your wall and forcefields to fire on your detection from over your wall. I think you did this, but it's a note for anyone else who wants to try it.

Lastly, yes, your blink and +2 was slightly late, but you had the resources for twilight earlier--you just forgot about it for a few seconds.

Oh, and another little trick that might be useful on some maps--since your third should be saturated before the roach/ling pressure starts and you're not walking immortals through your wall at your natural, you have the option to complete the wall at your natural when you confirm that the roach/ling pressure is coming. This would make sure lings don't sneak into your main on a map like Cloud Kingdom. It'd be less helpful against a roach runby.

I don't think 17 nexus 17 forge is safe on Antiga with that wallin even versus 14 pool. By safe I mean, 4 lings can still run up your ramp into your main before the cannon finishes.


I do the 17 nexus 17 forge almost every game vs zerg. In order to defend <15 pool, you need to have 4-5 probes waiting by your cannon @ ~75% cannon. then you back and forth a couple times, then it's business as usual. I don't know if the wasted mining time is worth it or not though.
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
March 24 2012 05:59 GMT
#798
I'm agnostic on 17/17. Usually, you pylon block the natural and the lings stop to kill the block. Otherwise, you can block with probes. 15/15 is definitely safe on cross positions Antiga. 15/15 vs 17/17 isn't going to change a whole lot.
Turo
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada333 Posts
March 24 2012 06:13 GMT
#799
On March 24 2012 14:59 kcdc wrote:
I'm agnostic on 17/17. Usually, you pylon block the natural and the lings stop to kill the block. Otherwise, you can block with probes. 15/15 is definitely safe on cross positions Antiga. 15/15 vs 17/17 isn't going to change a whole lot.


You're right. What do you mean you're agnostic about it?
Alejandrisha
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States6566 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-24 06:15:41
March 24 2012 06:15 GMT
#800
using 17/17 into sg with a slightly later 3rd on antiga i could get

5 phoenix at 9 mins
3rd taken at about 9 mins
12:00 min - 70 probes 1 obs 1 zealot 3 immortals 7 stalkers 5 phoenix 7 sentry 125 food,
but blink finishes at about 12:10, though this could be quickened by distributing chronoboosts differently, and i had one to spare tt. +2 finishes at 12:50, but same as above, though they will invariably come later because the TC isn't as quick as ranged's variant.

the build i'm using has it's surge at 12:00, going up to 150 food at 12:50 with
70 probes 1 obs 1 zealot 4 immortals 18 stalkers 5 phoenix 7 sentry. 2 cannons at third as above.

One big advantage of the super early 3rd is that you can establish pylons/gates much faster, while the 9 minute third doesn't really establish its infrastructure until around 10 minutes in. And of course a 9 min third will have oversaturation on 2 bases for a stint.

The big question is- establishing the 3rd earlier with only gateway units to defend, but having slightly faster blink and +2, or establishing it slightly later, but having 5 phoenix on the map and heavy gateway support shortly thereafter, but with slightly later blink/+2-- which is better? who can know O_O
get rich or die mining
TL+ Member
Prev 1 38 39 40 41 42 78 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings100
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O156
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 171
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 957
ZZZero.O 156
Bale 15
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm189
League of Legends
Doublelift5143
JimRising 743
Counter-Strike
minikerr18
Other Games
summit1g10484
FrodaN2558
C9.Mang0285
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1202
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream31
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP98
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 41m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
10h 41m
Monday Night Weeklies
15h 41m
Replay Cast
22h 41m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 10h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 23h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.