• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:57
CEST 00:57
KST 07:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9443 users

[G] Rushing Relentlessly: A Guide to Zerg vs Zerg - Page 7

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 24 Next All
Phoenixed
Profile Joined February 2012
11 Posts
February 10 2012 19:24 GMT
#121
Lurker for months, but registered for this.
Great guide and game plan. It's not unbeatable (nothing is) but it's rock solid and now my diamond zvz no longer feels random and improvised.
Haven't lost a single mirror yet. Awesome!
xlava
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States676 Posts
February 10 2012 21:06 GMT
#122
Why the hell do people keep bitching at Tang? I don't understand. I don't know his past/bm/whatever, I don't care, he's obviously doing good things for the community, all these hate comments are really immature and unwarranted.

I don't even play zerg, nice guide though.
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
February 10 2012 23:39 GMT
#123
On February 11 2012 06:06 xlava wrote:
Why the hell do people keep bitching at Tang? I don't understand. I don't know his past/bm/whatever, I don't care, he's obviously doing good things for the community, all these hate comments are really immature and unwarranted.

I don't even play zerg, nice guide though.

I think it's just a resistance to a non-macro style of zerg. We forget that Leenock, DRG, JulyZerg, Nestea, Sen, and Sheth all use builds like these on a regular basis.
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
Drmooose
Profile Joined March 2011
United States390 Posts
February 11 2012 00:27 GMT
#124
Id argue its your relentless resistence to having a build of yours being called an "all in" which I don't understand as it doesn't change anything either way.

That being said I really appreciate the write up. No one should be content without knowing a few aggressive styles like this as they're perfect for a boX series or even if you get rematched against someone on ladder right away. I always prefer ling opens to roach styles and playing aggressive with ling/bane isn't always viable on maps with smaller chokes. I've been looking for a build like that that can punish an expo.
I have a question...
Noak3
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States236 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-11 02:44:26
February 11 2012 02:29 GMT
#125
On February 09 2012 08:43 Angel_ wrote:
This actually seems like a good place to ask this:

Why is it that there are only two zerg players I can think of that don't treat thier play as, "I must be as greedy as humanly possible"? Why are there no zerg players that get some drones, and then units, or spend some of thier larva on workers, and some on units, instead of this I SHALL GET 80 DRONES AND THEN MAKE UNITS UNLESS I HAVE TO MAKE UNITS BEFORE HAND? Why are no zerg players just happy at less than 50 for a while and getting more later? And secondly why are there not a lot of zerg players that relentlessly make sure they never have 7 larva at any hatch for more than a few seconds, and just play hyper aggressive all game long. The only one close to that I can think of is....Julyzerg.

And don't answer "Because that's the way that zerg has to play". That's a stupid answer. It's certainly A way to play, but it isn't THE way.


Because many players that don't play that style get stuck at the point in high diamond or low masters where their opponents know how to counter that type of play. Tang managed to get high because he has good game sense and knows when and how to transition. Many higher players aren't comfortable with the idea that you have to do damage to be even.

The interesting thing is, tang, that your ling micro against banes isn't that great- no offense or anything. I'm impressed that your style is still this strong despite losing big clumps of lings every game.

What set of transitions are you comfortable with after this if your roach/ling attack sets you even, behind, or only slightly ahead? I would imagine that a set of timings after this to secure additional bases/tech would be good, like a roach/infestor/+2 timing to get a 4th and hive or something.

I would love to play this style if a full game got played out every time I used it, my only problem with it is how little your games tend to progress. I'm most comfortable in the lategame and late-midgame, so it's unfortunate that, even if this is a fun style, I wouldn't get to experience that very often if I started using it.
Love and be kind in the face of adversity. If you stand up for others, they will stand up for you.
Inf1n1teabyss
Profile Joined February 2012
United States14 Posts
February 11 2012 05:53 GMT
#126
Nice guide mr Tang, I like it. It has help me alot. I dont see you stream much . But i'd love to see a guide similar to this on zvt. Keep up the good work.
Build drones, when you feel like you have enough, build more drones.
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
February 11 2012 06:28 GMT
#127
On February 11 2012 09:27 Drmooose wrote:
Id argue its your relentless resistence to having a build of yours being called an "all in" which I don't understand as it doesn't change anything either way.

Oh I've written guides on all-in. I'd be comfortable calling this guide an all-in if it was, but ZvZ is so situational that you can't really say a given timing attack is or isn't an all-in. I'd say this build has the potential of being an all-in, and has the potential of transitioning into a different all in, and has the potential to transition into macro.
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
DustyShelf
Profile Joined September 2010
United Kingdom111 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-11 09:01:44
February 11 2012 09:00 GMT
#128
Thank you for posting this guide I really liked it and will try it out sometimes .

I also don't get the hate. Its a bit of a gamble, sure but you're probably going to do some damage unless you just blindly move all your lings in a big clump. If your control is better then a hella ton of damage and as if he runs out of banes he's dead. It's not all-in if you set back his economy as much as yours which this build gives you one of the best opportunities to by killing drones. Talking about defenders advantage with the fastest unit in the game is a little wobbly too. It's much less of a deal with rallying speedlings.

I mean considering ling/bling is such a popular build and requires exactly the same sort of control and risk taking I don't see what everyone's problem is. This way you're not even gambling gas and if you get a stab at the drone line he can't just split.
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
February 11 2012 15:53 GMT
#129
On February 11 2012 18:00 DustyShelf wrote:
I mean considering ling/bling is such a popular build and requires exactly the same sort of control and risk taking I don't see what everyone's problem is. This way you're not even gambling gas and if you get a stab at the drone line he can't just split.

I agree. ZvZ is a dicey matchup which is why I don't like playing baneling or roach defense. I prefer to take the battle to my opponent. It's fun and good practice to take shots, poke, scout, do damage, transition, and keep your opponent on the backfoot as much as possible so you're in control. There's nothing inherently wrong with utilizing a low-econ opening, as long as you have these types of goals in mind. That and your opponent's head on a spike!
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
DarKFoRcE
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1215 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-11 16:03:09
February 11 2012 15:59 GMT
#130
i think this is as one dimensional as the styles you critize. you basically hope your opponent doesnt have banelings in time. if he has only like 2 banes and a spine at home (something very usual), i dont see what you can do with your mass ling. because reinforcements and queens will prevent you from killing the banes easily with few lings..
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/PinDarKFoRcE
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
February 11 2012 16:16 GMT
#131
On February 12 2012 00:59 DarKFoRcE wrote:
i think this is as one dimensional as the styles you critize. you basically hope your opponent doesnt have banelings in time. if he has only like 2 banes and a spine at home (something very usual), i dont see what you can do with your mass ling. because reinforcements and queens will prevent you from killing the banes easily with few lings..

I see what you're saying. Obviously you do hope your opponent doesn't have banelings in time, because then you win outright. The thing is, you have 16 drones mining minerals. If he's going to defend this with ling/bane, he probably has between 19-22 drones when you hit (3 of which are in gas) so you're definitely not that behind + you have the map control and he may over commit to defense.
What makes this style different than a one-dimensional style like the 14/14 ling baneling is that it's not just one big attack. It's a sequence of attacks, based on adapting to your opponent's style. For example, if your opponent spines up, you adapt by droning and most likely securing an economic lead assuming you cut lings right away. If your opponent neglects spines and tries to greedily hold with only a few lings and banes, you can hit him with another ling timing or even a roach/ling attack like I outline in this thread.
I'm not arguing this is the absolute definitive best build for Zergs to use, but for those who are struggling in the matchup, this is a way to improve the micro/multitasking mechanics needed to play at a higher level. Also, it shuts down 1-base play extremely easily and you never have to have that fear of "I don't know what my opponent is doing, should I drone or make units?" because you're ALWAYS being active, scouting, and trying to do damage. I don't think playing a macro-style practices these necessary skills to such a degree.
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
EndOfLineTv
Profile Joined February 2011
United States741 Posts
February 11 2012 16:44 GMT
#132
People need to get off your back about your tips/tactics.

I agree that all openings to should be tried and tested. Then one can really work on their own tactics with the knowlege of what can be viable.
dSoda
Profile Joined April 2011
United States122 Posts
February 11 2012 18:55 GMT
#133
In the instance your opponent has those few defensive banes and your lings can't do any damage, how do you transition out of it, specifically how do you defend against a roach bane followup. It seems like when i run into builds like this on ladder, its almost an autowin for me if i just get to 30 drones, make ~10 roaches and morph 15 or so banes and attack/stream reinforcements.
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
February 11 2012 19:08 GMT
#134
On February 12 2012 03:55 McDrew wrote:
In the instance your opponent has those few defensive banes and your lings can't do any damage, how do you transition out of it, specifically how do you defend against a roach bane followup. It seems like when i run into builds like this on ladder, its almost an autowin for me if i just get to 30 drones, make ~10 roaches and morph 15 or so banes and attack/stream reinforcements.

I think that's one of the beautiful things about the roach/ling transition. If your opponent does a big counter-attack all-in like roach/ling/bane, you can just defend with your spine/roaches/lings instead of moving out. It would largely depend on how many drones your made while defending, but if he opened ling/bane defense his roach/ling/bane push is going to be delayed over a roach opening anyway.
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
Ntwadumela
Profile Joined December 2011
United States65 Posts
February 11 2012 19:19 GMT
#135
Thanks for the guide. I know as a diamond player struggling with ZvZ, I'll try it.
Schnullerbacke13
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany1199 Posts
February 11 2012 21:13 GMT
#136
Thanx for your work, Tang. 'though i prefer the defensive side in ZvZ, it is insightful to see the aggressor side.
21 is half the truth
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
February 12 2012 01:22 GMT
#137
On February 12 2012 06:13 Schnullerbacke13 wrote:
Thanx for your work, Tang. 'though i prefer the defensive side in ZvZ, it is insightful to see the aggressor side.

Stream episode 3 is focused partially on good ways to defend against this style.
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
iglocska
Profile Joined May 2011
Norway589 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-12 01:45:51
February 12 2012 01:44 GMT
#138
On February 11 2012 03:22 TangSC wrote:
It's true dealing with banelings will be harder for a player without solid ling micro - but what better way is there to practice it than with an active style?

I think this is a really good point. I have often used your old build, the 2 base speedling all-in, when I felt like practicing my ling micro a bit (since everyone and their dog seemed to go 14/14 banelings at the time) - and I feel that it really helped. I feel confident enough dealing with banelings using only zerglings at my level (high dia/low masters) due to using that build every now and then.

Even though 75% of the time I try to force macro games to get better, I really enjoy throwing your builds in there once in a while, so thanks for all your guides
PhiliBiRD
Profile Joined November 2009
United States2643 Posts
February 12 2012 01:49 GMT
#139
great post! so rare
doggy
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany306 Posts
February 12 2012 10:43 GMT
#140
On February 12 2012 01:16 TangSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 12 2012 00:59 DarKFoRcE wrote:
i think this is as one dimensional as the styles you critize. you basically hope your opponent doesnt have banelings in time. if he has only like 2 banes and a spine at home (something very usual), i dont see what you can do with your mass ling. because reinforcements and queens will prevent you from killing the banes easily with few lings..

I see what you're saying. Obviously you do hope your opponent doesn't have banelings in time, because then you win outright. The thing is, you have 16 drones mining minerals. If he's going to defend this with ling/bane, he probably has between 19-22 drones when you hit (3 of which are in gas) so you're definitely not that behind + you have the map control and he may over commit to defense.
What makes this style different than a one-dimensional style like the 14/14 ling baneling is that it's not just one big attack. It's a sequence of attacks, based on adapting to your opponent's style. For example, if your opponent spines up, you adapt by droning and most likely securing an economic lead assuming you cut lings right away. If your opponent neglects spines and tries to greedily hold with only a few lings and banes, you can hit him with another ling timing or even a roach/ling attack like I outline in this thread.
I'm not arguing this is the absolute definitive best build for Zergs to use, but for those who are struggling in the matchup, this is a way to improve the micro/multitasking mechanics needed to play at a higher level. Also, it shuts down 1-base play extremely easily and you never have to have that fear of "I don't know what my opponent is doing, should I drone or make units?" because you're ALWAYS being active, scouting, and trying to do damage. I don't think playing a macro-style practices these necessary skills to such a degree.



How can you possibly claim that youre not super far behind if ure on 16Drones (just ling tech) against Ling, Bling, Spine, on 19-22 drones? I mean, sure its not unwinable from here, but ure in a very uncomfortable position. I kinda like ur play (as much as any other allin builds) on shitty maps or to mix in cheese in BOX matches - and im sure, at least on the NA server, you will get a ton of points with that. But does it make sense, to practice builds, write guides which will FAIL against good zerg? Yes, Sheth is a good one, but in ZvZ every good Zergs makes mistakes sometimes. Thats what your build builds on, your enemy screwing up. I would understand more of your arguments or see you as a better player if you would write some... solid builds? Unfortunately, there havent been some of those.

I guess this build rocks for everything but high master/gm. But dudes, if you ever want to become a better gamer, there is not much sense executing such builds on ladder.
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 24 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#2 - $100
ZZZero.O170
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft341
Nina 126
ViBE95
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15001
ZZZero.O 170
firebathero 107
Hyuk 60
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm167
febbydoto82
League of Legends
Doublelift3213
Counter-Strike
Fnx 840
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6297
Other Games
summit1g7961
FrodaN2410
mouzStarbuck440
JimRising 388
KnowMe254
ArmadaUGS129
Mew2King50
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1164
BasetradeTV205
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream124
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 94
• musti20045 29
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie733
• Shiphtur229
• tFFMrPink 9
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
11h 3m
INu's Battles
13h 3m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
16h 3m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
20h 3m
BSL Open Qualifier
20h 3m
Replay Cast
1d
Afreeca Starleague
1d 11h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 12h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 17h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
6 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.