• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:22
CEST 06:22
KST 13:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8075 users

[G][D] Artosis PvP build - Page 4

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 All
unkkz
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Norway2196 Posts
July 07 2011 04:09 GMT
#61
I've used this build for about two weeks and the counter has been figured out, have lost several games in the same fashion as of late. Just scout it, go colossus, and wall your ramp like your playing vs a zerg. Then the chargelots cannot get in since there are only room for one and its blocked by 6+ zealots and you cannot break it with 2+ colossus kicking your ass. So all the colossus player has to do is wall the ramp, hold the attack easilly, then sitt on his ass untill he has like 4 colossus, push out and 1a the chargelot player.

So back to 4 gates and colossus wars for me... blaaaaah this matchup is just atrocious.
Geiko
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France2036 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-07 06:03:56
July 07 2011 05:59 GMT
#62
On June 17 2011 16:18 Anihc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 17 2011 12:34 jcroisdale wrote:
On June 17 2011 08:50 Anihc wrote:
I watched the reps. I'm not convinced at all that this build works.

First of all, I don't think cannon can hold off a 4 gate. The guy in the first rep was over half a minute late with his 4 gate, and then poorly placed his proxy pylon so he wasn't able to warp in those 4 additional zealots. You would have easily lost to a standard 4 gate, your cannon doesn't even finish until well past the 6 minute mark.

Second, straight tech to chargelot/archon doesn't work IMO. You can die to so many things before you get charge, such as blink stalkers, or even a regular attack that has a few sentries for forcefield. If the guy in the 2nd replay had attacked you when he got his blink stalkers, you would have died. He also had horrible micro, and should have fended off your attack. If the defender walls in with buildings like others in this thread have stated, you wouldn't have any chance at all.

Chargelot/archon is definitely a viable mid game PvP composition, but I think you need to transition into it from either blink or DT, and I really think you need 2 bases to do it well since you should be taking advantage of its mobility (1 base colossus > 1 base chargelot/archon).


I didn't mention it in the OP but when people are going for a very agressive 4gate I usually throw down an extra cannon, if they really want to push up your ramp the extra cannon only need to get 2 kills to be worth it. While I understand Static Defense is not always the best idea, its about making the build work.

You also mentioned walling in which yes it works great against this build but If i transition into an expo and they don't attack there behind. This build is like playing zerg if you engage head on into a spot your going to lose its going to happen you want to fight out in the open to get surrounds if your own a map like crossfire there is no way this build would have a chance past 1base.

I would like if anyone who had replays of this build succeeding to send them to me and I might add them to the op. Since this is a discussion about trying to makes this build as viable as possible that's all Artosis was trying to do and that's what Im trying to do, make this build work against all these common PvP builds.


Then way to not mention critical pieces of your strategy in your guide... (defending 4 gate and what to do if your opponent plays defensively)

And even if you get 2 cannons, I'm still going to break you with a 4 gate. The problem with cannons is that they can't be instantly warped in like warpgate units can. You invest 150 minerals in a cannon but don't get any return on it until half a minute later, whereas with warpgate units you get the return on investment within 5 seconds. Feel free to test your cannon defense against my 4 gate anytime... coLrsvp.138 on both NA and EU.

Note that I'm not discrediting chargelot/archon, I'm just criticizing your build because going straight to chargelot/archon is not a safe way to get there. If you want to make this build as viable as possible, again like I said before I suggest transitioning into it from a DT or blink stalker opening.


I just want to emphasize on this : this build get demolished by a good 4 gate. In the replays you showed, you START your cannon at the time they should have their units IN your base...
I'm only comenting on this because I played a guy yesterday who did this exact build I didn't know about. I was like : "wtf, chargelot/archon on one base with 1 cannon defense ? Doesn't that auto lose to 4 gate ?" and the guy laughed at me and said that it was solid. So I played another game and 4 gated him and just crushed him. I think you need to find some other way to beat 4 gate in the early stage of the games because 1 late cannon is not the way to go.

(geiko.813) for anyone who doesn't believe me and wants to be 4 gated.

Unfortunately, believe or not, I don't have the replay... For some reason, I discovered that your replays stop being saved once you reach (1000) on the same map. My last replay is Xel'Naga(999). This should be fixed by blizzard
geiko.813 (EU)
unkkz
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Norway2196 Posts
July 08 2011 20:26 GMT
#63
On July 07 2011 14:59 Geiko wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 17 2011 16:18 Anihc wrote:
On June 17 2011 12:34 jcroisdale wrote:
On June 17 2011 08:50 Anihc wrote:
I watched the reps. I'm not convinced at all that this build works.

First of all, I don't think cannon can hold off a 4 gate. The guy in the first rep was over half a minute late with his 4 gate, and then poorly placed his proxy pylon so he wasn't able to warp in those 4 additional zealots. You would have easily lost to a standard 4 gate, your cannon doesn't even finish until well past the 6 minute mark.

Second, straight tech to chargelot/archon doesn't work IMO. You can die to so many things before you get charge, such as blink stalkers, or even a regular attack that has a few sentries for forcefield. If the guy in the 2nd replay had attacked you when he got his blink stalkers, you would have died. He also had horrible micro, and should have fended off your attack. If the defender walls in with buildings like others in this thread have stated, you wouldn't have any chance at all.

Chargelot/archon is definitely a viable mid game PvP composition, but I think you need to transition into it from either blink or DT, and I really think you need 2 bases to do it well since you should be taking advantage of its mobility (1 base colossus > 1 base chargelot/archon).


I didn't mention it in the OP but when people are going for a very agressive 4gate I usually throw down an extra cannon, if they really want to push up your ramp the extra cannon only need to get 2 kills to be worth it. While I understand Static Defense is not always the best idea, its about making the build work.

You also mentioned walling in which yes it works great against this build but If i transition into an expo and they don't attack there behind. This build is like playing zerg if you engage head on into a spot your going to lose its going to happen you want to fight out in the open to get surrounds if your own a map like crossfire there is no way this build would have a chance past 1base.

I would like if anyone who had replays of this build succeeding to send them to me and I might add them to the op. Since this is a discussion about trying to makes this build as viable as possible that's all Artosis was trying to do and that's what Im trying to do, make this build work against all these common PvP builds.


Then way to not mention critical pieces of your strategy in your guide... (defending 4 gate and what to do if your opponent plays defensively)

And even if you get 2 cannons, I'm still going to break you with a 4 gate. The problem with cannons is that they can't be instantly warped in like warpgate units can. You invest 150 minerals in a cannon but don't get any return on it until half a minute later, whereas with warpgate units you get the return on investment within 5 seconds. Feel free to test your cannon defense against my 4 gate anytime... coLrsvp.138 on both NA and EU.

Note that I'm not discrediting chargelot/archon, I'm just criticizing your build because going straight to chargelot/archon is not a safe way to get there. If you want to make this build as viable as possible, again like I said before I suggest transitioning into it from a DT or blink stalker opening.


I just want to emphasize on this : this build get demolished by a good 4 gate. In the replays you showed, you START your cannon at the time they should have their units IN your base...
I'm only comenting on this because I played a guy yesterday who did this exact build I didn't know about. I was like : "wtf, chargelot/archon on one base with 1 cannon defense ? Doesn't that auto lose to 4 gate ?" and the guy laughed at me and said that it was solid. So I played another game and 4 gated him and just crushed him. I think you need to find some other way to beat 4 gate in the early stage of the games because 1 late cannon is not the way to go.

(geiko.813) for anyone who doesn't believe me and wants to be 4 gated.

Unfortunately, believe or not, I don't have the replay... For some reason, I discovered that your replays stop being saved once you reach (1000) on the same map. My last replay is Xel'Naga(999). This should be fixed by blizzard


I've held good 4 gates with this build but it isn´t easy, you just get the forge earlier and cannon placement pretty much determines if you live or die. But this build is just irrelevant if your opponent walls their ramp, then you are severely behind in tech and whatnot and you're just gonna die since you cannot possibly break it.
dreamsmasher
Profile Joined November 2010
816 Posts
July 08 2011 20:32 GMT
#64
On July 07 2011 13:09 unkkz wrote:
I've used this build for about two weeks and the counter has been figured out, have lost several games in the same fashion as of late. Just scout it, go colossus, and wall your ramp like your playing vs a zerg. Then the chargelots cannot get in since there are only room for one and its blocked by 6+ zealots and you cannot break it with 2+ colossus kicking your ass. So all the colossus player has to do is wall the ramp, hold the attack easilly, then sitt on his ass untill he has like 4 colossus, push out and 1a the chargelot player.

So back to 4 gates and colossus wars for me... blaaaaah this matchup is just atrocious.


then what about not attacking and doing an expo with contain. the power of zealot archon is on the open field. expand and go voidray i would think would be a decent response.
schwza
Profile Joined September 2011
67 Posts
December 14 2011 19:48 GMT
#65
Does anyone have advice for how to beat an opponent who uses buildings well? One option for opponent is to block the ramp into the main and leave a one zealot gap, another would be to block the entrance into the natural with 3 gates (and maybe a cannon or two behind) and then blast away with ranged attacks of their choice. I have won a lot of games with this build but building blocks seem like a hard counter and very easy to execute.

User was warned for this post
Nyovne
Profile Joined March 2006
Netherlands19141 Posts
December 14 2011 19:59 GMT
#66
Ok so you can't make a topic for your question so you necro an unrelated topic for it instead? Right.
ModeratorFor remember, that in the end, some are born to live, others born to die. I belong to those last, born to burn, born to cry. For I shall remain alone... forsaken.
Prev 1 2 3 4 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 38m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 251
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 606
Larva 405
Leta 68
NaDa 46
TT1 20
Icarus 11
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm231
League of Legends
JimRising 706
Other Games
summit1g10283
WinterStarcraft443
Mew2King101
ViBE85
ArmadaUGS46
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1356
BasetradeTV269
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream118
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta33
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki25
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota292
League of Legends
• Rush1172
• Lourlo839
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5h 38m
INu's Battles
7h 38m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
10h 38m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
14h 38m
BSL Open Qualifier
14h 38m
Replay Cast
18h 38m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 5h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 6h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 11h
Replay Cast
1d 18h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.