• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:35
CEST 13:35
KST 20:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8403 users

BOSS Cannon Rush - Page 13

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 17 Next All
snaerdi
Profile Joined March 2011
Finland70 Posts
June 01 2011 20:30 GMT
#241
Are you saying I should be surprised to see Hot_Bid posting this?

Anyways, AMAZING JOB.
This is why we can't have nice things.. SC 2 || Skyrim || Diablo III || ME 3
Giwoon
Profile Joined December 2010
Korea (South)431 Posts
June 01 2011 20:43 GMT
#242
On June 01 2011 11:58 Blasterion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 01 2011 11:34 Giwoon wrote:
isnt this extremely old?...

No because Hot Bid posted it


ahhh i see xD
BUTTHURT?
littleblappa
Profile Joined May 2011
United States4 Posts
June 01 2011 21:02 GMT
#243
I'm a rank 60 Diamond
I hope that you guys don't forget that a counter for this build is to scout for a REALLY early forge and if you scout that, kill the Probe as soon as possible with SCVs or Drones before it starts warping cannons. When that happens, rush them as soon as possible with marines because the protoss player will try to recover from that and you can't let them get away.
101toss
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
3232 Posts
June 01 2011 21:11 GMT
#244
On June 02 2011 06:02 littleblappa wrote:
I'm a rank 60 Diamond
I hope that you guys don't forget that a counter for this build is to scout for a REALLY early forge and if you scout that, kill the Probe as soon as possible with SCVs or Drones before it starts warping cannons. When that happens, rush them as soon as possible with marines because the protoss player will try to recover from that and you can't let them get away.

See though, people don't scout in 4v4
Math doesn't kill champions and neither do wards
TheGiz
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada708 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-02 13:17:49
June 02 2011 13:15 GMT
#245
On June 02 2011 06:02 littleblappa wrote:
I'm a rank 60 Diamond + Show Spoiler +
not talking about 4s, herp derp
I hope that you guys don't forget that a counter for this build is to scout for a REALLY early forge and if you scout that, kill the Probe as soon as possible with SCVs or Drones before it starts warping cannons. When that happens, rush them as soon as possible with marines because the protoss player will try to recover from that and you can't let them get away.+ Show Spoiler +
herp derp again


This is super naive thinking because the whole point of the build is that it doesn't matter if it is scouted or not. You build 3-4 pylons right in their face and make them deal with it. If it fails you just drop a Cannon in-base and fast expand while getting Gates up.

The best counter is seriously just good reaction time. I continued doing this last night and every time I failed it was because they send a goddam tail or flooded my area before I could get all the pylons up. I still can't get the stop trick right. I also have to be better with my second probe too.

Any time I didn't cannon rush last night, I or my teammates just got rolled by 6-8pool + 2rax + 2Gate anyways. That combination is basically impossible to stop, especially on maps like Toxic Slums where your base is isolated and your partners may be unwilling to send their 1 Zealot against 6-8 marines, zerglings, and 4 Zealots. You're basically better off cannon rushing, since there's little else you can do if they choose to be that cheap. The only rush I stopped last night was a Ling+2Rax+4gate on District 10 because I went straight for Colossus. Had they come earlier it wouldn't have mattered.

The worst part is that after successfully rushing yesterday many times my teammates still couldn't convert the win. After the rush you're basically playing a 3.5 vs 3 and if you have some crap (Bronze/Silver quality) teammates it really sucks.

So tl;dr: Go for the rush and if it fails pray that your teammates are good enough to survive until you can help them.
Life is not about making due with what you have; it's about finding out just how much you can achieve. Never settle for anything less than the best. - - - Read my blog!
Mactator
Profile Joined March 2011
109 Posts
June 02 2011 13:33 GMT
#246
Well, if this is what it takes for you to have fun with the game then fine with me. There's also a game called sim city that is a bit more advanced. You may wanna try it.
primebeef
Profile Joined October 2010
United States140 Posts
June 02 2011 13:37 GMT
#247
I don't see how this would work, because for zerg, the standard vs toss is pool b4 hatch unless its a long map, and you can't cannon their mineral line from behind like that because the creep from the hatch goes over.

For terran, the barrack comes up at the same time or a little bit before the forge does, and marine can kill the probe before he the pylons even finish, so you will have 2-3 wasted pylons.

For protoss, unless they are going 14 nexus they will get out a zealot before your pylon finishes building.
-Doji-
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Belgium127 Posts
June 02 2011 13:41 GMT
#248
I like this tactic in a 1v1 setting against greedy Hatch before pool zergs.
It lets you shut down their natural fairly easily.

However, I have no experience with this in a team setting, should be fun to try out.
The stop-trick in particular sounds like a useful mechanic to exploit. Thanks for this write-up dude
[0vO Owner] [Esports enthousiast] [ex LgN manager] [Alt GG staff]
IIIOmegaIII
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden319 Posts
June 02 2011 13:57 GMT
#249
lol that is hilarious. dont wanna try it though, i would feel too ashamed
TheGiz
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada708 Posts
June 02 2011 14:02 GMT
#250
On June 02 2011 22:37 primebeef wrote:
I don't see how this would work, because for zerg, the standard vs toss is pool b4 hatch unless its a long map, and you can't cannon their mineral line from behind like that because the creep from the hatch goes over.

For terran, the barrack comes up at the same time or a little bit before the forge does, and marine can kill the probe before he the pylons even finish, so you will have 2-3 wasted pylons.

For protoss, unless they are going 14 nexus they will get out a zealot before your pylon finishes building.


This is for TEAM GAMES if you didn't get that already. No Protoss in their right mind goes 14 Nexus in a team game, so clearly you weren't paying attention to the OP.

Also, the cannons can begin production before a Marine or Zealot is out, since every time I enter someone's base I clearly see a half-done Barracks or Gateway, and I'm just about at 300 minerals since I cut Probes.

The best counter I've seen after I got the cannons up was a Bunker being dropped in the mineral line while the Marine and Cannon were building. Few players are that smart though, and I still took out a fair amount of SCVs.
Life is not about making due with what you have; it's about finding out just how much you can achieve. Never settle for anything less than the best. - - - Read my blog!
roberT_
Profile Joined May 2011
United States6 Posts
June 02 2011 14:10 GMT
#251
I've been doing this in team games for about a month now and was even considering making this same thread. Let me add to this what I had planned to submit to the community.

4v4 Pylon Placement: Google Docs Link

Here are some tips I can offer on execution of the cannon rush that I've learned from experience:

-Que up the pylons ahead of time. This will allow for more time to verify you get the proper pylon wall-in.
-Try to have a teamate scout to find a protoss opponent for you to target first. If your cannon rushing probe also scouts, there's a better chance they will follow your probe.
-I agree with the idea that you can lose a probe following you by making him attack you to create space to block in with a pylon, but I want to elaborate a bit more on that. I mentioned above that I think it's best to que up the pylons for faster and more accurate exectution. You can add a jog in your probes path to force any following probe to attack you. Additionally, you should make sure you approach from the 1 pylon side of your wall-in, so that you only need to place 1 pylon before the following probe has a chance to catch back up to your cannon probe.

lbkonidevil
Profile Joined September 2010
England8 Posts
June 02 2011 14:43 GMT
#252
I'm gunna sound dumb if I am wrong but you place the pylons/cannons at enemy's natural expo's right? if so then they can just easy build stalkers or marines to out range the cannons and kill the pylons, or they can just go 1 base and kill you.

Is there maybe a replay i could see?

Thanks ^^
lim1017
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada1278 Posts
June 02 2011 14:52 GMT
#253
are you DONTGIVEUP on the ladder hotbid??
pig-dude
Profile Joined March 2011
United States170 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-02 14:56:15
June 02 2011 14:55 GMT
#254
On June 02 2011 22:15 TheGiz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 02 2011 06:02 littleblappa wrote:
I'm a rank 60 Diamond + Show Spoiler +
not talking about 4s, herp derp
I hope that you guys don't forget that a counter for this build is to scout for a REALLY early forge and if you scout that, kill the Probe as soon as possible with SCVs or Drones before it starts warping cannons. When that happens, rush them as soon as possible with marines because the protoss player will try to recover from that and you can't let them get away.+ Show Spoiler +
herp derp again


This is super naive thinking because the whole point of the build is that it doesn't matter if it is scouted or not. You build 3-4 pylons right in their face and make them deal with it. If it fails you just drop a Cannon in-base and fast expand while getting Gates up.

The best counter is seriously just good reaction time. I continued doing this last night and every time I failed it was because they send a goddam tail or flooded my area before I could get all the pylons up. I still can't get the stop trick right. I also have to be better with my second probe too.

Any time I didn't cannon rush last night, I or my teammates just got rolled by 6-8pool + 2rax + 2Gate anyways. That combination is basically impossible to stop, especially on maps like Toxic Slums where your base is isolated and your partners may be unwilling to send their 1 Zealot against 6-8 marines, zerglings, and 4 Zealots. You're basically better off cannon rushing, since there's little else you can do if they choose to be that cheap. The only rush I stopped last night was a Ling+2Rax+4gate on District 10 because I went straight for Colossus. Had they come earlier it wouldn't have mattered.

The worst part is that after successfully rushing yesterday many times my teammates still couldn't convert the win. After the rush you're basically playing a 3.5 vs 3 and if you have some crap (Bronze/Silver quality) teammates it really sucks.

So tl;dr: Go for the rush and if it fails pray that your teammates are good enough to survive until you can help them.

Yes, it matters if scouted. Any competent player can surround and kill a probe with four workers, five if you're slow. If you see an early forge and early scout, just don't let the probe get behind your minerals. The strength of this "build" is that it punishes players with poor micro.
primebeef
Profile Joined October 2010
United States140 Posts
June 02 2011 15:02 GMT
#255
On June 02 2011 23:02 TheGiz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 02 2011 22:37 primebeef wrote:
I don't see how this would work, because for zerg, the standard vs toss is pool b4 hatch unless its a long map, and you can't cannon their mineral line from behind like that because the creep from the hatch goes over.

For terran, the barrack comes up at the same time or a little bit before the forge does, and marine can kill the probe before he the pylons even finish, so you will have 2-3 wasted pylons.

For protoss, unless they are going 14 nexus they will get out a zealot before your pylon finishes building.


This is for TEAM GAMES if you didn't get that already. No Protoss in their right mind goes 14 Nexus in a team game, so clearly you weren't paying attention to the OP.

Also, the cannons can begin production before a Marine or Zealot is out, since every time I enter someone's base I clearly see a half-done Barracks or Gateway, and I'm just about at 300 minerals since I cut Probes.

The best counter I've seen after I got the cannons up was a Bunker being dropped in the mineral line while the Marine and Cannon were building. Few players are that smart though, and I still took out a fair amount of SCVs.


There are games where you can go 14 nexus, you partner just has to produce a large army as you get your econ going, and you will bulldoze them in the mid to late game.
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
June 02 2011 15:03 GMT
#256
the power of ESPORTS will stay with us all, in the form of this awesome cannon rush for team game ladder.
Matharos
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada211 Posts
June 02 2011 17:30 GMT
#257
I have never played Protoss, but tonight I will we dine on Terran and Protoss tears! >)
I assure you I don't have ferrets in my pants
Souljah
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States423 Posts
June 02 2011 17:44 GMT
#258
We need a "how-to counter the Boss CR" now plz.
bLingKing
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada33 Posts
June 02 2011 17:55 GMT
#259
hotbid maybe u should try to get good at the game instead of posting ridiculous strategies that demonstrate no skill? everyone with half a brain in their head knows how to cannon rush... this is the reason why you and 90% of the people who theory craft on this site suck.

incoming temp ban for speaking truth...

User was temp banned for this post.
Geegeez
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada226 Posts
June 02 2011 17:56 GMT
#260
Tried this in 4's in some random games over the past couple nights and was only mildly successful, so people can defend this pretty easily I imagine. Pretty sure I'm going to end up on the next "When Cheese Fails" episode, lol.
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
ByuN vs ShamelessLIVE!
herO vs TBD
CranKy Ducklings157
SHIN 75
CranKy Ducklings SOOP48
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 299
ByuN 274
OGKoka 270
SHIN 75
MindelVK 24
Railgan 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 68144
Calm 10591
Rain 2658
soO 981
Bisu 927
FanTaSy 878
Stork 406
Soulkey 396
Rush 290
Soma 211
[ Show more ]
firebathero 197
Shuttle 167
Last 148
Snow 133
Mind 109
Light 107
ToSsGirL 74
Pusan 72
hero 43
Shinee 42
Bale 37
Trap 37
Killer 36
Sea.KH 36
Free 32
Hm[arnc] 29
Mong 26
Sharp 26
Sexy 24
zelot 20
yabsab 18
sorry 17
Shine 16
HiyA 15
scan(afreeca) 12
Sacsri 11
IntoTheRainbow 10
Noble 10
Aegong 9
Dota 2
Gorgc7611
Dendi0
League of Legends
Reynor89
Counter-Strike
x6flipin316
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King72
Other Games
gofns32998
singsing2259
byalli613
Pyrionflax242
B2W.Neo226
Chillindude14
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV212
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 102
• Gemini_19 9
• Dystopia_ 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV550
League of Legends
• Jankos3251
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
3h 25m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 25m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 25m
OSC
11h 25m
Replay Cast
11h 25m
OSC
1d
WardiTV Weekly
1d 23h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.