• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:23
CEST 01:23
KST 08:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)61Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10313 users

[G] ZvZ Mutalisk expand - Page 3

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 All
Dubpace
Profile Joined August 2010
United States251 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-05 09:17:49
June 05 2011 09:09 GMT
#41
Accidently quoted myself below in a second edit...sorry!
Dubpace
Profile Joined August 2010
United States251 Posts
June 05 2011 09:17 GMT
#42
On June 05 2011 18:09 Dubpace wrote:
There is no way this is a good build against competent players. The only way this works is if your opponent is really stupid and doesn't know how to respond correctly.

I promise I will have 4+ queens, full saturation and loss of no overlords by the time YOUR expansion goes up. There is no way this will work. You sacrifice too much map control and economy for an easily scoutable and counterable build.

Edit: And how exactly are you planning on defending that natural expansion from not getting constantly denied? Mutas won't do it, and you shouldn't have creep out there to get your spines over there. Even if you do it's too easy to exploit spine position to kill the hatch anyways. There are a lot of holes in this build >.>

Edit2: Also even if somehow they let you take your natural for free, and you have 45-50 drones off of one base, your army will be so weak compared to somebody that didn't open like this. Remember: 5 mutalisks=500 gas. 4 roaches=100 gas so you are in theory 20 roaches behind in production.

KaiserJohan
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden1808 Posts
June 05 2011 11:55 GMT
#43
Yeah mutalisk expand is just too vulnerable imo.

On the other hand,I typically go 15 hatch 14 pool and roach warren ASAP. Build enough for defense against blings and such, drone up, get lair and then get some 10ish mutas just to suprise, harrass and contain his ass.
Works wonders, although vulnerable if he decides to do a timing push before you can get a big amount of infestors out
England will fight to the last American
telfire
Profile Joined May 2010
United States415 Posts
June 06 2011 15:03 GMT
#44
So you've scouted an early baneling nest. This is what you've got to do to take a guaranteed win:

-----


Lol. Helpful :/ Yeah I really don't understand how you expect to survive early game with this, completely forgetting that mutas are so hard countered in mid game by hydras or fungal
bmn
Profile Joined August 2010
886 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-06 15:44:00
June 06 2011 15:32 GMT
#45
On June 05 2011 18:09 Dubpace wrote:
There is no way this is a good build against competent players. The only way this works is if your opponent is really stupid and doesn't know how to respond correctly.

I promise I will have 4+ queens, full saturation and loss of no overlords by the time YOUR expansion goes up. There is no way this will work. You sacrifice too much map control and economy for an easily scoutable and counterable build.

Edit: And how exactly are you planning on defending that natural expansion from not getting constantly denied? Mutas won't do it, and you shouldn't have creep out there to get your spines over there. Even if you do it's too easy to exploit spine position to kill the hatch anyways. There are a lot of holes in this build >.>

Edit2: Also even if somehow they let you take your natural for free, and you have 45-50 drones off of one base, your army will be so weak compared to somebody that didn't open like this. Remember: 5 mutalisks=500 gas. 4 roaches=100 gas so you are in theory 20 roaches behind in production.


Are you saying all the people he beat in his replays are really stupid? (Hint: Even smart players make bad decisions. It happens.)

As much as I enjoy pouncing on people proposing a new strategy, I gotta give Unfeared some credit for this build.

I can't say I understand how or why (or whether) it works when done properly. I tried it a few times because it looked entirely stupid on paper, but for some reason I actually won most of the games I tried it in -- I lost once, but that was just bad mid/late-game play; I entered the mid-game with an advantage.
So yeah, diamond/low master players will almost always react in the wrong way, and after actually trying it, I do believe that it can work in mid/high masters (and yes, nobody says you can't hard-counter this).

What I found by far the most impressive about all the games was just how impenetrable a sim city with 1-2 spine crawlers and 1-2 queens is to mass ling. The chokes make it so easy to defend with a queen and maybe a few drones while the spine crawlers do the rest.

Unfeared, could you please update the OP with more replays and your comments on dealing with banelings?

Also, as a response to Dubspace:
Congratulations, you found a very good response to this build. Many others have too. This does not mean the build is useless: What you suggested is, based on practical experience, not obvious to most zerg players. Yes, there are holes in this build, and nobody claimed the opposite. From the OP: "risky to try this more than once on the same opponent".

As for this:

Edit2: Also even if somehow they let you take your natural for free, and you have 45-50 drones off of one base, your army will be so weak compared to somebody that didn't open like this. Remember: 5 mutalisks=500 gas. 4 roaches=100 gas so you are in theory 20 roaches behind in production.


Yes, your army *will* be very weak, and that's why you need the spotting overlords and the roaming mutas to keep him in check. I'm not saying it's enough, but the OP has explicitly talked about this.

Also, your "in theory" calculation doesn't make much sense. I could turn the tables and say "Remember: 5 mutalisks = 500 minerals. 7 roaches = 525 minerals so you are in theory 7 roaches behind", or I could count larvae/supply instead and then it's 5 roaches. It's not that simple.
Clearly 20 roaches will beat 2 spine crawlers defending with 4 mutas, but I don't see how this is a useful comparison (why 20?).
Azrepoman
Profile Joined February 2011
United States13 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-07 02:03:19
June 07 2011 01:05 GMT
#46
3 roaches = 3 larva and 225/75 early on + 150 for roach warren. While spines are 0 larva and deal more dmg/cost.


You're forgetting spine crawlers use up a drone which is 50 min & 1 larva. Plus you're getting a roach warren anyways. Wouldn't it make more since to use it for defense and eliminate the spines all together? Plus I deny ling scouting and can use those 3 roaches to fight with later in the game.

On a side note, Day[9] analyzed a top tier Korean ZvZ game with 9 Pool into double queen block vs Muta expand opening. Very interesting.
http://blip.tv/day9tv/day-9-daily-250-top-korean-zvz-4721433

"We don't live in a world of reality, we live in a world of perceptions." Gerald J. Simmons
Dellward
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia138 Posts
June 07 2011 03:06 GMT
#47
This is a build that has already been covered (albeit with a better build order) by Day9 in one of his ZvZ dailies from awhile ago. In this version, you're basically advocating two spines, LETTING YOUR OPPONENT SEE YOUR FUCKING BUILD and not even blocking your ramp with roaches or queens. That is simply assured failure. This will simply lose to any kind of two-base speedling/baneling all-in.

danieltang34
Profile Joined September 2010
4 Posts
June 07 2011 03:38 GMT
#48
On May 28 2011 20:42 Unfeared wrote:
You're showing that you have at least a roach warren up. It could be a roach sling allin.
Also 3 roaches = 3 larva and 225/75 early on + 150 for roach warren. While spines are 0 larva and deal more dmg/cost. It will have a significant impact on your eco and I don't think you'll be able to hit the right timings.

I like this build but the math is off
Buildings cost one drone
Which is 50min and one larva
So it's
3roach: 225/50 + 150 + 50 = 425/50 + 4larvae
Each Spine: 100 + 50 + 1 larva

Spines indirectly (or directly w/e) cost larvae
Probe1
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States17920 Posts
June 07 2011 07:51 GMT
#49
I still don't agree that this is a winner. I've faced it a few times since posting my thoughts and there are two ways it plays out.


I don't scout at the right moment. He expands without showing his mutas and makes a ball of 20 and wins because I did not even remotely deserve to win.

I do scout and see him doing that. I instantly transition into roach ling all in while dropping a hydra den. I send a single round of reinforcement lings and pump pure hydralisks. I win because 5 mutas get trounced by 24 roaches and so many zerglings with burrow.

I've just never seen this put anyone ahead. It might cost me overlords and give up map control but only for the time a hydra den takes. Then we're best case scenario pretty even and I can defend a third or flat out walk in and kill you.


I dunno :\ I'd love to be convinced of this, I don't like the mass roach then make infestors way either but I want to win more.
우정호 KT_VIOLET 1988 - 2012 While we are postponing, life speeds by
bmn
Profile Joined August 2010
886 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-07 10:17:24
June 07 2011 10:09 GMT
#50
On June 07 2011 12:06 Dellward wrote:
This is a build that has already been covered (albeit with a better build order) by Day9 in one of his ZvZ dailies from awhile ago. In this version, you're basically advocating two spines, LETTING YOUR OPPONENT SEE YOUR FUCKING BUILD and not even blocking your ramp with roaches or queens. That is simply assured failure. This will simply lose to any kind of two-base speedling/baneling all-in.



Why do people get so angry if they don't even read the OP?

Did you read the OP? Letting your opponent see the build is intentional. Also, it is absolutely not true that you will lose to "any kind of two-base speedling/baneling all-in", I've held off many of those. When I did lose it was to roaches, not speedling/baneling. (I'm not saying you'll hold off every speedling/baneling attack, but it's not true that you'll "lose to any kind" of them.)

Edit: Also, which daily was that? I'd be interested in the link, sounds fun. I've been doing some of the 9pool double queen block, expand into fast +1 speed roaches on certain maps, and that's great fun. I noticed that if you're at least even army-wise, a tech switch to mutas right after the first roach baiting (you have roach speed before your opponent) is hugely effective, since that's a timing where the opponent is blind, it's not safe for him to push out (your roaches are faster), and few people expect a muta switch after speed roaches. But even then you only get 5-6 mutas to snipe queens etc., then you need to mass ground units again to hold the counter-push. But that's another thread entirely =)

On June 07 2011 16:51 Probe1 wrote:
I still don't agree that this is a winner. I've faced it a few times since posting my thoughts and there are two ways it plays out.


I don't scout at the right moment. He expands without showing his mutas and makes a ball of 20 and wins because I did not even remotely deserve to win.

I do scout and see him doing that. I instantly transition into roach ling all in while dropping a hydra den. I send a single round of reinforcement lings and pump pure hydralisks. I win because 5 mutas get trounced by 24 roaches and so many zerglings with burrow.

I've just never seen this put anyone ahead. It might cost me overlords and give up map control but only for the time a hydra den takes. Then we're best case scenario pretty even and I can defend a third or flat out walk in and kill you.


I dunno :\ I'd love to be convinced of this, I don't like the mass roach then make infestors way either but I want to win more.


Going for a huge ball of muta is something completely different from this build. I don't see how this opening allows you to get 20 mutas before the opponent is close to 200/200, since you're only on 2 gas for ages.

You say "you've never seen this put anyone ahead" -- have you actually watched OP's replays and/or tried it yourself? It sounds like you've never actually seen this build in general :-)

I tried it myself and was very surprised by how it worked out. I don't think it's anything as solid as roach/infestor, but it sure made for very amusing games, and surprisingly enough, I had a good win rate. (I do not expect this to work if it's commonly used, and I only used it on maps which seem suitable, i.e., stuff like typhon peaks -- as the OP mentioned).

Like the OP said, this is *not* the kind of build you'd want to use repeatedly against the same opponent, and it can be held off quite well, nobody disputes that. It's surprisingly strong against early speedling/baneling all-ins, and it can certainly throw off your opponent, but a strong (not too early) roach attack can surely beat it; as can a more passive FE into 4 queens and 2-3 spores into a huge roach/hydra ball, etc.

I don't get why people keep making comments that aren't relevant to this thread. This is not about speedling expand into mutas, there's plenty of threads about that -- and the OP never claimed that this was a strong "standard" opener.
Prev 1 2 3 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft121
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta23
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft121
Nina 92
ViBE83
SpeCial 38
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 174
Noble 63
Hyuk 60
NaDa 37
Bale 15
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm186
League of Legends
Doublelift4701
Counter-Strike
minikerr16
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox263
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4956
Khaldor666
Other Games
summit1g8125
FrodaN1844
Coldzera 795
shahzam531
JimRising 381
C9.Mang0271
KnowMe210
ZombieGrub77
ArmadaUGS62
Mew2King55
Trikslyr44
PPMD39
CosmosSc2 14
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick645
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream67
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH361
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21463
Other Games
• imaqtpie767
• Shiphtur165
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
10h 38m
Online Event
11h 38m
FEL
16h 38m
AI Arena Tournament
17h 38m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
19h 38m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 10h
INu's Battles
1d 12h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-01
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Proleague 2026-10-02
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.