• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:04
CEST 13:04
KST 20:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8323 users

[G][L] TvX: How to make a low SD/Rax ramp wall

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Normal
michaelhasanalias
Profile Joined May 2010
Korea (South)1231 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-20 02:21:06
April 19 2011 01:55 GMT
#1
How to make a low SD/Rax wall

I apologize if this has been posted before. I've recently started playing T more some on ladder and wanted to know how to do this, but I searched and found no guide. After spending a little bit of time figuring it out, I thought I would share a neat little trick that will ensure you never miss a low SD/Rax wall.


[image loading]
Poorly crafted in MSPaint, you'll see an example of each iteration of a narrow ramp (backwater gulch, typhon peaks, delta quadrant and metalopolis, but this works on every narrow ramp).

The simple trick is to position your Depot/Rax such that it makes a 5-square seal around the concave green square at the bottom of your ramp.

With this in mind you'll note that each wall, although seemingly goofy, is impassable to scouting worker or any other ground unit.

Here's an example of each wall position on Shakuras:

[image loading]

While some of them look quite permeable, try and see for yourself!

I hope this helps anyone out there who has been frustrated about this in the past.



If you choose to low ramp wall with your first SD/Rax:

I highly recommend doing 10depot 11 rax instead of the standard 10 depot 12rax. If you plan to open standard OC, it is economically the same to cut the 12th SCV for 8 seconds in order to immediately drop the rax at 11 supply (assuming you go for standard OC timing, which would be at 14 vs 15 if you 11rax).

You can refer to this thread for the data: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=179108


But be wary of the possible perils of low ramp walling:
vs Michael vs Vasso [image loading]





Also:
http://www.aldenolmstead.com/BGHBlock/BGHBlock.jpg
KR NsPMichael.805 | AM Michael.2640 | SEA Michael.523 | 엔에스피 New Star Players
Noxie
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2227 Posts
April 19 2011 02:06 GMT
#2
Thanks for putting in the effort to this guide! Looks great!
Chahta
Profile Joined February 2011
United States148 Posts
April 19 2011 02:08 GMT
#3
so basically something you would discover by turning on building grid in the options menu? I suppose this would be appreciated by newer players. I suppose this just amuses me so because a lot of effort was put into explaining the obvious. Very clear guide, that is for sure, but perhaps a replay of zerglings trying to get by? (sealing in *proof*)
I accidentally whole f*cking base
michaelhasanalias
Profile Joined May 2010
Korea (South)1231 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-19 02:11:06
April 19 2011 02:10 GMT
#4
On April 19 2011 11:08 Chahta wrote:
so basically something you would discover by turning on building grid in the options menu? I suppose this would be appreciated by newer players. I suppose this just amuses me so because a lot of effort was put into explaining the obvious. Very clear guide, that is for sure, but perhaps a replay of zerglings trying to get by? (sealing in *proof*)


Don't know, a lot of players miss these walls from time to time, possible because of the rarity of it.

It's because of the way the ramp is set up in 1.2 on the build grid that makes it look like you need to seal off the edges that are already sealed.
KR NsPMichael.805 | AM Michael.2640 | SEA Michael.523 | 엔에스피 New Star Players
svefnleysi
Profile Joined March 2011
Iceland623 Posts
April 19 2011 02:18 GMT
#5
On April 19 2011 11:08 Chahta wrote:
so basically something you would discover by turning on building grid in the options menu? I suppose this would be appreciated by newer players. I suppose this just amuses me so because a lot of effort was put into explaining the obvious. Very clear guide, that is for sure, but perhaps a replay of zerglings trying to get by? (sealing in *proof*)

To me, at least, it looks like these "walls" are easily passable around the edges. I wouldn't have known they blocked the ramp without this guide.

Thanks, OP.
Xanczor
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States254 Posts
April 19 2011 02:24 GMT
#6
Thanks for posting
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=100673&currentpage=22
Antylamon
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1981 Posts
April 19 2011 02:54 GMT
#7
What is the point of putting the wall off at the bottom, a faster wall off to deny any initial scouting?

Very interesting, now I can go for gas heavy builds without my opponent knowing until it's too late
Seems like this would be viable for Toss as well, as long as they leave a 1 unit space for a zealot.
Rubix314
Profile Joined December 2010
54 Posts
April 19 2011 02:58 GMT
#8
You only need one supply depot to complete it. Possibly, for, say, some kind of all-in.

Otherwise this kind of wall leaves it way too vulnerable.
AER0K
Profile Joined July 2010
United States24 Posts
April 19 2011 03:08 GMT
#9
Thanks for the post
Bxk
Profile Joined September 2010
United States53 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-19 03:25:01
April 19 2011 03:18 GMT
#10
On April 19 2011 11:54 noobinator wrote:
What is the point of putting the wall off at the bottom, a faster wall off to deny any initial scouting?

Very interesting, now I can go for gas heavy builds without my opponent knowing until it's too late
Seems like this would be viable for Toss as well, as long as they leave a 1 unit space for a zealot.


I see 2 main uses currently: Going for a 1 rax no gas FE-type build against Zerg, and having a fairly decent baneling-bust-proof wall before the 5 minute mark if you go 2 Rax FE.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


I saw Minigun do this on his stream months ago, using a 1 rax 1 depot wall-off against someone in a custom (he was Terran, I think he was helping someone who was coaching, by playing Terran, but I digress.... I think it is/was common practice to Pylon/Forge wall when Forge FE, and maybe that's why he did it?). I asked in Simple Questions/Simple Answers and found no definite reason why a bottom wall-off *shouldn't* be used, so now I pretty much wall off the bottom and top with Rax when I 2 Rax FE in TvZ

Also, thanks for making this post! I actually thought it wouldn't work in Typhon Peaks, the ramp looks wider than it really is, but now I know :D
gastro54
Profile Joined October 2010
23 Posts
April 19 2011 04:40 GMT
#11
sweet post
Techno
Profile Joined June 2010
1900 Posts
April 19 2011 04:46 GMT
#12
Nice post, thanks!
Hell, its awesome to LOSE to nukes!
johanngrunt
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Hong Kong1555 Posts
April 19 2011 05:46 GMT
#13
Not everyone is Grand Masters league. There are always things that you can learn. Thanks for the guide.
The.Doctor
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada333 Posts
April 19 2011 06:14 GMT
#14
Thx for the guide michael.
The Boss.
jahre
Profile Joined November 2008
United States95 Posts
April 19 2011 06:17 GMT
#15
You can also double rax wall off the bottom of a ramp. Good vs Zerg if you're opening 2 rax pressure.
"I am as bad as the worst, but, thank God, I am as good as the best." -Walt Whitman
pt
Profile Joined November 2010
United States813 Posts
April 19 2011 06:19 GMT
#16
thanks. i fail horribly at this when i off race against my friends.
EG-TL!
FoFo
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands207 Posts
April 19 2011 08:52 GMT
#17
nice, never knew there was such an easy rule to it
"we must avoid balancing SC2 by making everything suck equally hard."
Grubbegrabbn
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden174 Posts
April 19 2011 09:26 GMT
#18
You can also double rax wall off the bottom of a ramp. Good vs Zerg if you're opening 2 rax pressure.


Yeah - excellent idea. Deny scouting and then show all your cards.
Tonem
Profile Joined January 2011
Australia91 Posts
April 19 2011 09:28 GMT
#19
I think the main reason you don't see it used that much is because that bottom supply depot is so susceptible to being picked off by ranged units..

Otherwise this would be great for denying scouting, esp. seeings as most scout timings arrive just a little bit before you get your second depot down
Valckrie
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom533 Posts
April 19 2011 10:38 GMT
#20
Great pictures, I'm normally able to get the position right but I relied on memories of previous walls, so this really helps as general guide for all the ramps
Fear is a 4 letter word. Why be afraid?
fearus
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
China2164 Posts
April 19 2011 11:21 GMT
#21
The problem I found with these walls are that it is visually very deceiving.
bisu fanboy
wordd
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia190 Posts
April 19 2011 11:29 GMT
#22
nice guide but very primitive. I think you should add the pros and cons of walling low and high ground so low level T's don't get the wrong impression.

cheers.
YA
Chaosvuistje
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands2581 Posts
April 19 2011 11:32 GMT
#23
I hate going against these kinds of walls on long maps . I never know what they are up to and by the time I got my banshee defense up they float their safe CC over to the natural with a big smile on their face.

Weirdkid
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Singapore2431 Posts
April 19 2011 13:23 GMT
#24
On April 19 2011 20:32 Chaosvuistje wrote:
I hate going against these kinds of walls on long maps . I never know what they are up to and by the time I got my banshee defense up they float their safe CC over to the natural with a big smile on their face.



Hahaha I laughed when I saw this. Know the exact feeling man

Low ground walling is so so suspicious though. I do it when I am going for a 3 rax marine scv all in. I don't like that it looks so suspicious, but I guess I'd I'd rather look suspicious and leave them wondering than let their scout into my base.

Anyway, appreciate the effort in creating this thread. If it came out earlier I could have saved 10 minutes of my life that I spent figuring out how to do it haha. It'll help some people I'm sure.
"Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself." - Proverbs 26:4
Zellabris
Profile Joined October 2009
United States43 Posts
April 19 2011 14:33 GMT
#25
On April 19 2011 11:08 Chahta wrote:
so basically something you would discover by turning on building grid in the options menu? I suppose this would be appreciated by newer players. I suppose this just amuses me so because a lot of effort was put into explaining the obvious. Very clear guide, that is for sure, but perhaps a replay of zerglings trying to get by? (sealing in *proof*)


I actually had to test this out after a couple of tries on the unit testing map. The walling IS tricky and can be misleading sometimes. For example, with the north-facing ramps, I really have to remember that one open orange grid held off units coming in from the diagonal :\
salehonasi
Profile Joined March 2011
United States87 Posts
April 19 2011 15:03 GMT
#26
The nice thing about a lowground wall is not only the scouting deny, but if you're paranoid about banebusting, you can rewall at the top, so they break the bottom and get screwed by bunkers at the top.
"The most effective counter in Starcraft 2 is to go ****ing kill him." -Day[9]
PJFrylar
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States350 Posts
April 19 2011 15:05 GMT
#27
On April 19 2011 11:54 noobinator wrote:
What is the point of putting the wall off at the bottom, a faster wall off to deny any initial scouting?

Very interesting, now I can go for gas heavy builds without my opponent knowing until it's too late
Seems like this would be viable for Toss as well, as long as they leave a 1 unit space for a zealot.

It is to deny scouting. If you wall at the top of your ramp a unit can run up the ramp and get a peek at the area in the main around the ramp. If the wall is at the bottom they won't be able to do this. It also allows you to make a second wall at the top of your ramp if you fear an early baneling bust. Also there is less space required to make the wall (able to wall with a barracks + depot rather than a barracks +2 depots or 2 barracks sized buildings).

HypernovA
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada556 Posts
April 19 2011 15:13 GMT
#28
Thanks for the pictures!
lorkac
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2297 Posts
April 19 2011 17:27 GMT
#29
The wall comes up faster, but is weaker. Good vs scouts and good for FE builds, bad for turtling.
By the truth we are undone. Life is a dream. Tis waking that kills us. He who robs us of our dreams robs us of our life --Orlando: A Biography
iAmJeffReY
Profile Joined August 2010
United States4262 Posts
April 19 2011 20:19 GMT
#30
Hah, I've tried so many times half assed and rarely get it right. Although, this kind of wall usually spells I'm doing an all in or something sneaky.

Very nice post, I still struggle with it. lol How I made it so far into the game not knowing that, or the cost of a factory till 3 or so months ago lol.

It's very good against zerg, and if you can trick a protoss into thinking your teching, a proxy rax and that rax together with pulled scvs can usually hit 4/5 marines and 5+ scvs before the sentry pops in a typical zeal/stalker/sentry BO for the protoss. Although, a stalker poke and you're fucked without marauders.


In short -- thanks, now I won't struggle in teams to do a quick wall
Unbiased biased terran abuser Jeffrey. Sorry for the rage, friend!
PJFrylar
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States350 Posts
April 19 2011 21:36 GMT
#31
On April 20 2011 05:19 iAmJeffReY wrote:

In short -- thanks, now I won't struggle in teams to do a quick wall


Hmm, I never thought of using this wall for team games. It would be quite good from fending the very early cheeses that can be common.

However, I would worry about the amount of surface area exposed with potentially 2 rushes coming at it. I'm probably going to try it out and see what happens anyway though.
statikg
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada930 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-19 21:54:46
April 19 2011 21:53 GMT
#32
I always use this wall, it keeps the scouting worker out but it can be really vulnerable to worker harass. Anyway since I usually favor non-standard openings (no gas expands or early gas agression) I always want to do this to avoid giving my opponent that huge piece of information.

Roach rushes can give this kind of wall off alot of issues because its easier for them to bait your marines into a vulnerable position. As well, if you are planning on teching behind a bunker you will have to sacrifice that depot because there is no safe place to put the bunker, but you can always float the barracks back.

I would definitely not do this in a team game. Your wall would get owned for sure if you came under early attack by anything except for a weak ling attack.
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
April 19 2011 21:56 GMT
#33
Had to figure this shit out myself after not finding it on TL a few months ago, could NOT figure out after like 3 tests, finally got it, it's not very intuitive, it appears as if units could still fit in as you're not hugging the ramp.
iAmJeffReY
Profile Joined August 2010
United States4262 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-19 22:12:44
April 19 2011 22:09 GMT
#34
On April 20 2011 06:36 FireBearHero wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2011 05:19 iAmJeffReY wrote:

In short -- thanks, now I won't struggle in teams to do a quick wall


Hmm, I never thought of using this wall for team games. It would be quite good from fending the very early cheeses that can be common.

However, I would worry about the amount of surface area exposed with potentially 2 rushes coming at it. I'm probably going to try it out and see what happens anyway though.


Or blocking off a zerg ally who's about to get heavy rushed. That's my thinking. Share control for them to use the Sdepot and no more sling run bys on your roach going Z ally.

Sure helps vs TZ when they sling hellion. I've only done it twice, but both times in my mind is saved us the game because it let my ally roach up. I can just stay with him and snipe slings off him and let him FF down hellions
Unbiased biased terran abuser Jeffrey. Sorry for the rage, friend!
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
April 19 2011 22:13 GMT
#35
Cool! I wonder if its possible to wall with a evo chamber and a spine crawler...
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
April 19 2011 22:46 GMT
#36
On April 20 2011 07:13 monitor wrote:
Cool! I wonder if its possible to wall with a evo chamber and a spine crawler...

Iirc, since evo chamber is 3x3 and spine crawler is 2x2 I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Official Entusman #21
RandomAccount#106470
Profile Joined September 2010
Lithuania1506 Posts
April 19 2011 23:05 GMT
#37
--- Nuked ---
TickTockBoom
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada185 Posts
April 19 2011 23:06 GMT
#38
Uhh, i'm confused, is blocking it under the ramp more advantageous than blocking it above the ramp? Coming from BW I just build 2 SDs and a rax and block above the ramp on most maps, except that one with two spawning positions with the gigantic ramp, where I just do 3sd 1 rax.
IGN: Cupine Char: 945, Sometimes we have to let BW go, and proceed on.
PJFrylar
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States350 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-19 23:25:45
April 19 2011 23:08 GMT
#39
On April 20 2011 05:19 iAmJeffReY wrote:

Or blocking off a zerg ally who's about to get heavy rushed. That's my thinking. Share control for them to use the Sdepot and no more sling run bys on your roach going Z ally.

Sure helps vs TZ when they sling hellion. I've only done it twice, but both times in my mind is saved us the game because it let my ally roach up. I can just stay with him and snipe slings off him and let him FF down hellions


So you wall off both you and your ally? Mmm, that's an interesting thought indeed. With the bottom of the ramp style wall you could have a wall for each player not long after a standard top of the ramp wall for just yourself.

Thanks for the idea, I like it.

On April 20 2011 08:06 TickTockBoom wrote:
Uhh, i'm confused, is blocking it under the ramp more advantageous than blocking it above the ramp? Coming from BW I just build 2 SDs and a rax and block above the ramp on most maps, except that one with two spawning positions with the gigantic ramp, where I just do 3sd 1 rax.


It is situational, the wall at the bottom has advantages and disadvantages. The main advantages is denying scouting information (because they can't poke up the ramp with a unit and see the surrounding area in your main) and less buildings required. It is mostly used if you're really trying to hide tech or at least acting like you are.

However, the wall is more vulnerable, because it exposes more surface area to attack, while giving up surface area to repair. It also tends to give ranged units more available angles to attack your wall. Ranged units will also be able to see your wall without spotting up your ramp. This will allow them to attack from full range, while not being hit back by something behind the wall. I would not suggest this against protoss or terran as you surrender a good deal of defender's advantage (while giving them the possibility of forcing engagement.

Edit: wow that post got really screwed up lol
michaelhasanalias
Profile Joined May 2010
Korea (South)1231 Posts
April 19 2011 23:13 GMT
#40
On April 19 2011 20:29 wordd wrote:
nice guide but very primitive. I think you should add the pros and cons of walling low and high ground so low level T's don't get the wrong impression.

cheers.


The reason for the skimpiness is two-fold: For one, I wanted to keep the OP simple and informative, without clouding it with the subjectivity of my own view.

Secondly, and more principally, I simply lack the expertise with Terran to go into the situational advantages and disadvantages of this type of wall.


If a higher level Terran player (I usually play zerg) wants to go into detail about it, I'd be more than happy to include it in the OP.



At least for me, the reason I love low walls is because I am a very aggressive player, and so my goal with the wall is simply to deny scouting, not defend against anything.

Certainly there are different merits for and against it.
KR NsPMichael.805 | AM Michael.2640 | SEA Michael.523 | 엔에스피 New Star Players
PJFrylar
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States350 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-19 23:21:00
April 19 2011 23:20 GMT
#41
Oops hit quote instead of edit.
lololol
Profile Joined February 2006
5198 Posts
April 20 2011 00:08 GMT
#42
On April 20 2011 07:46 infinity21 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2011 07:13 monitor wrote:
Cool! I wonder if its possible to wall with a evo chamber and a spine crawler...

Iirc, since evo chamber is 3x3 and spine crawler is 2x2 I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Crawlers don't block the full 2x2, so all early game units except roaches and stalkers will be able to pass. Any other building will make a full wall, the crawlers are the only exceptions.
I'll call Nada.
michaelhasanalias
Profile Joined May 2010
Korea (South)1231 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-20 02:22:22
April 20 2011 02:21 GMT
#43
edited OP to add a funny replay of me losing 2 SCVs to worker harass while low ramp walling with 10depot 11rax


Also, if you feel you can add some high level commentary on the advantages/disadvantages of walling, I'd be happy to include it in the OP. Terran is not my main race 1v1.
KR NsPMichael.805 | AM Michael.2640 | SEA Michael.523 | 엔에스피 New Star Players
sylace
Profile Joined November 2010
United States18 Posts
April 20 2011 02:41 GMT
#44
Great post OP. The comment about the concave makes it very easy to remember. Thanks!
duartesito
Profile Joined March 2010
Dominican Republic32 Posts
April 20 2011 02:54 GMT
#45
Was not aware of this. Thanks OP for this (especially since Terran is not your main race).
Im just out buying soy souce
D_K_night
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada615 Posts
May 18 2011 18:09 GMT
#46
great post, this emphasizes how much I need to practice stutter-step. I have a question.

I know this is slower, but here's what I typically do:

(this is above the ramp)

10 depot
11 rax
11 depot <- I am feverishly hitting the depot hotkey with the scv positioned nearby as minerals aren't flowed in immediately after the 11 rax

I did not know that walling below the ramp was feasible, ergo the above strange wall. Then I would start rax further way from the wall.

The idea behind the above is to deny scouting completely as I really don't want them to see what I'm doing. I don't know if - when they see the above - would they react the same way as seeing a depot + rax on the low ground.

I'm guessing their mental response would be, I'm trying to hide tech, or why wall off like that?
Canada
rogzardo
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
610 Posts
May 18 2011 18:26 GMT
#47
On May 19 2011 03:09 D_K_night wrote:
great post, this emphasizes how much I need to practice stutter-step. I have a question.

I know this is slower, but here's what I typically do:

(this is above the ramp)

10 depot
11 rax
11 depot <- I am feverishly hitting the depot hotkey with the scv positioned nearby as minerals aren't flowed in immediately after the 11 rax

I did not know that walling below the ramp was feasible, ergo the above strange wall. Then I would start rax further way from the wall.

The idea behind the above is to deny scouting completely as I really don't want them to see what I'm doing. I don't know if - when they see the above - would they react the same way as seeing a depot + rax on the low ground.

I'm guessing their mental response would be, I'm trying to hide tech, or why wall off like that?


Putting a second depot down at 11 will hurt your economy significantly. Even though cutting 1-2 workers doesn't seem like a big deal, that early in the game it will put you behind. Especially because it serves no purpose whatsoever other than to deny a really early scout.

My 2 cents would be to not do that.
michaelhasanalias
Profile Joined May 2010
Korea (South)1231 Posts
May 21 2011 11:49 GMT
#48
On May 19 2011 03:09 D_K_night wrote:
great post, this emphasizes how much I need to practice stutter-step. I have a question.

I know this is slower, but here's what I typically do:

(this is above the ramp)

10 depot
11 rax
11 depot <- I am feverishly hitting the depot hotkey with the scv positioned nearby as minerals aren't flowed in immediately after the 11 rax

I did not know that walling below the ramp was feasible, ergo the above strange wall. Then I would start rax further way from the wall.

The idea behind the above is to deny scouting completely as I really don't want them to see what I'm doing. I don't know if - when they see the above - would they react the same way as seeing a depot + rax on the low ground.

I'm guessing their mental response would be, I'm trying to hide tech, or why wall off like that?


It would be, but now that the example vid posted in this thread has become the ladder cheese flavor of the week, everyone is going to assume it's a 3-rax all-in.

I personally think a 2-port would be very strong, and on at least XNC, there is a cheese proof (at least everything I could think to throw at it and I love to cheese) TvZ 1-rax FE that looks exactly like this in its opening. Griffith came up with it but I don't know if he ever posted it.
KR NsPMichael.805 | AM Michael.2640 | SEA Michael.523 | 엔에스피 New Star Players
SKaysc
Profile Joined May 2010
United States305 Posts
July 12 2011 21:34 GMT
#49
cheer big help for the non master nubs like me ^^
zmansman17
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2567 Posts
July 15 2011 03:18 GMT
#50
The poster of this infortmation is incredibly handsome. Thank you !
♞ - His EKG is flattening get me a defib stat! Prepped and Ready! - ♞
Zilong67
Profile Joined July 2011
France12 Posts
August 15 2011 05:21 GMT
#51
Does it still works? (I mean I think one patch nerfed it)
michaelhasanalias
Profile Joined May 2010
Korea (South)1231 Posts
August 15 2011 06:33 GMT
#52
On August 15 2011 14:21 Zilong67 wrote:
Does it still works? (I mean I think one patch nerfed it)



That was for 2x2 wall, this is 2 and 3
KR NsPMichael.805 | AM Michael.2640 | SEA Michael.523 | 엔에스피 New Star Players
IamNatural
Profile Joined November 2011
64 Posts
June 07 2012 02:00 GMT
#53
Thanks, I didn't know how to do this, after watching Halby's 3 rax all in video on youtube, I tried the 3rax on ladder but got scouted b/c i didn't wall off properly. Hopefully by bumping this thread, someone else who had the same problem see's the thread.
dynwar7
Profile Joined May 2011
1983 Posts
June 07 2012 07:25 GMT
#54
On June 07 2012 11:00 IamNatural wrote:
Thanks, I didn't know how to do this, after watching Halby's 3 rax all in video on youtube, I tried the 3rax on ladder but got scouted b/c i didn't wall off properly. Hopefully by bumping this thread, someone else who had the same problem see's the thread.


Was it really necessary to bump just for that?
Regarding the imbalance, hilarious to see Zergs defending themselves....
eusoc
Profile Joined November 2011
Italy82 Posts
June 07 2012 14:01 GMT
#55
I want to use that wall only if going crazy scv-marine allin or 1rax FE as any 1base allin involving ranged units or banelings is a free loss for u
Fencar
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States2694 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-08 06:49:23
June 08 2012 06:48 GMT
#56
On June 07 2012 23:01 eusoc wrote:
I want to use that wall only if going crazy scv-marine allin or 1rax FE as any 1base allin involving ranged units or banelings is a free loss for u

You can bunker the low ground since most maps have really small, or at least kinda small natural chokes now.
Against a Baneling Bust, you can build buildings on top as well as on the bottom, forcing the Zerg to bust through two rows of buildings.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Normal
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
11:00
2026 Week 25
WardiTV91
Rex45
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko228
ProTech144
Rex 45
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 648
Soma 584
Jaedong 553
Hyuk 463
Soulkey 390
Horang2 367
BeSt 301
910 227
Light 205
Stork 197
[ Show more ]
Mini 177
EffOrt 168
Snow 165
Britney 137
Larva 121
Pusan 116
Last 113
ZerO 113
ggaemo 78
Rush 63
Mind 58
Shinee 46
Killer 45
Creator 42
Mong 37
Bale 25
hero 22
Sharp 19
Noble 14
sorry 14
yabsab 14
Sacsri 10
Dota 2
Gorgc6542
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1398
pashabiceps881
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2651
Khaldor819
Other Games
gofns40458
singsing1466
XBOCT336
Pyrionflax257
DeMusliM197
B2W.Neo117
Mew2King108
ArmadaUGS52
ZerO(Twitch)6
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream175
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH307
• StrangeGG 42
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 12
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1454
Other Games
• WagamamaTV189
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
1h 56m
The PondCast
22h 56m
OSC
1d 1h
Stellar Fest
1d 1h
OSC
1d 12h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.