• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:53
CEST 12:53
KST 19:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)39Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7447 users

[G] TvP 2 Thor Push - Page 13

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 23 Next All
naveedx983
Profile Joined August 2010
United States58 Posts
November 24 2010 07:11 GMT
#241
I've tried this a few times, it seemed to do a decent job of killing or denying his expansion while letting me get mine up with nearly no harass.

I see a lot of people talking about what can beat this, but this build doesn't really have a definite tell until you see the armory correct?
Khadgars
Profile Joined March 2010
United States38 Posts
November 24 2010 08:18 GMT
#242
I was told to post in here after I created a thread, but I was just looking for some feedback as a lowly Gold player here while using this build against zerg

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/108557-1v1-terran-zerg-lost-temple

I'm just curious if its viable or I got lucky playing a bad zerg.

-Khad
Roblicious
Profile Joined October 2010
United States64 Posts
November 24 2010 16:50 GMT
#243
I play toss and I ran into this build again last night, I was trying the 13 units at 6 minute 4 gate and for some reason I was off by 30 secs, as I went to his front door he had like 2 Thors with a handful of marines, he wiped the floor with my units, I still managed to kill 1.5 thors lol and his marines before having to retreat. Strangely enough he didnt counter, he and I both macroed up and he hit me with like 10 Thors with cannons and a buncha marines and wiped the floor with gateway units, 3 VRs, and 5 Immortals. :/

I have ran into this build 4 times and only managed to beat it once with a 3 Gate Robo using Immortals, and I think the only reason why I beat him is because his units were too spread apart on rally.

Im still trying to find a way to beat this!
wmd221
Profile Joined November 2010
40 Posts
November 24 2010 16:59 GMT
#244
as a 2k terran using this build the times i do lose using it are to 3 gate robo's with constant chrono boost on the robo and focus fire on marines.

really when it comes down to it if your marines die you will not significally damage the toss players army or economy if he micros his stalkers right and doesnt just let them die.
galzohar
Profile Joined November 2010
Israel100 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-24 17:09:31
November 24 2010 17:08 GMT
#245
A 3-gate robo just stopped me from doing this. I even went 1 thor fast with proxy factory. He found the factory but my marines got there in time to scare him off (thor was almost ready when my marines arrived and he probably realized that and ran). When I came up his ramp his stalkers and 1 immortal were waiting up there, and it seems like it's just impossible to move up the ramp with a thor surrounded by SCVs while so many stalkers are focusing you. But maybe against 3 gate robo it really is better to just get the 2nd thor and cannons, but still that just means he'll have that many more stalkers to stop you from moving up the ramp without taking too much damage.

Against most other builds it seems to me like doing it with 1 thor and proxy factory is more difficult to stop than waiting for 2 thors and building them all the way at your own base, though on some maps the factory is definitely harder to hide.

Of course I'm not nearly as good as many players here, but good enough to figure out how many units me and my enemy are able to get after X minutes. Maybe it's just my micro being bad, but it seems like 3 gate robo (or possibly even a fast and well-executed 4-gate) gets too many units too fast.
OreoBoi
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada1639 Posts
November 24 2010 17:33 GMT
#246
Wait for 2 thors, never attack with one. I can focus down I thor even being repaired with immortals, but it's really hard to kill 2 thors with scvs. Against a robo build, if you wait for 2 thors, strike cannon two of the immortals, then the protoss is dead.
DevanT
Profile Joined November 2010
United States71 Posts
November 24 2010 17:57 GMT
#247
proxy 2 gate beats this because you have nothing to defend. Even scouted and tech switch + bunker, still lost.
Phrencys
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada270 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-24 18:09:37
November 24 2010 18:07 GMT
#248
On November 25 2010 01:59 wmd221 wrote:
as a 2k terran using this build the times i do lose using it are to 3 gate robo's with constant chrono boost on the robo and focus fire on marines.

really when it comes down to it if your marines die you will not significally damage the toss players army or economy if he micros his stalkers right and doesnt just let them die.

I started using this build only yesterday and I've been doing great.

A couple of ideas I've been toying with for this push, is taking one SCV to try making a bunker behind the thors, and/or have a quick followup (blue?) hellion drop in his minerals while you're pushing up his ramp/expansion.
Jayrod
Profile Joined August 2010
1820 Posts
November 24 2010 18:55 GMT
#249
[/QUOTE]
Hi I'm a Platinum player and have some questions.
In a real game how can you open 1 gate stargate vs a Terran because of the threat of cloaked banshees? How are you SURE he's going Thor rush and not a raven/marine/banshee push where Immortals are absolutely useless. Also if you're opening 1 gate stargate how do you play if he chooses just to go regular MMM with a timing push coming right after you take your expo. Please let me know as I thought it was impossible to open without Robo without a BO loss somewhere along the line, thanks.
[/QUOTE]
If you watch the replay, the response is the exact same to the thor push as it is to a banshee push. I go 1 gate stargate, chronoboost a fast phoenix and scout. If you see a tech labbed starport and can find no armory, its a raven or banshee, if you find the armory its a thor. Either way you need a robo as your next building and another gateway to make sure you have enough of an army with your tier2 units. You can see aTnSocke do this opener alot versus terran, sometimes he opens robo then stargate if he suspects banshee/raven... sometimes he opens stargate then robo if he didnt get much information with his initial poke. I prefer stargate then robo because phoenix can cover more ground, quickly, and you'll be able to really come up with the right response before the aggression comes.

you'll notice in the replay I open zealot zealot stalker, which is fine vs an early push with good micro and allows you to get an ultra fast phoenix. The robo comes online a full minute before any cloaked banshee is possible anyways so if you need to make an observer you have time and you have flying units that get a ton of bonus armor vs banshee so they wont be able to poke in and get away at half hp cause your stalkers couldnt quite kill them.
Jayrod
Profile Joined August 2010
1820 Posts
November 24 2010 19:04 GMT
#250
On November 24 2010 16:11 naveedx983 wrote:
I've tried this a few times, it seemed to do a decent job of killing or denying his expansion while letting me get mine up with nearly no harass.

I see a lot of people talking about what can beat this, but this build doesn't really have a definite tell until you see the armory correct?

if you see alot of marines at the front and no tech labbed reactor you know hes teching to something, if hes not getting stim and hes not getting a thor or banshee, his build is shitty.
Jayrod
Profile Joined August 2010
1820 Posts
November 24 2010 19:06 GMT
#251
On November 25 2010 01:50 Roblicious wrote:
I play toss and I ran into this build again last night, I was trying the 13 units at 6 minute 4 gate and for some reason I was off by 30 secs, as I went to his front door he had like 2 Thors with a handful of marines, he wiped the floor with my units, I still managed to kill 1.5 thors lol and his marines before having to retreat. Strangely enough he didnt counter, he and I both macroed up and he hit me with like 10 Thors with cannons and a buncha marines and wiped the floor with gateway units, 3 VRs, and 5 Immortals. :/

I have ran into this build 4 times and only managed to beat it once with a 3 Gate Robo using Immortals, and I think the only reason why I beat him is because his units were too spread apart on rally.

Im still trying to find a way to beat this!

read the whole thread there are several ways to beat this, but none of them allow for mistakes
Laeryck
Profile Joined October 2010
9 Posts
November 24 2010 19:09 GMT
#252
- p user, 2000 points -

This build is the most retarded build in the universe. He denies ur scouting,
you need a robo bay, and then for each immortals you make he insta kills it, so immortals are supposed to be the counter unit to thors? oO

I have never won against this build if I did not have twice the bases or twice the army or three times the skill. On a equal skill level, he barely loses any unit. Would really like to know if someone has a build that can scout him (remmeber we have to guess between thors or banshees) and that can kill his army in A COST EFFICIENT WAY
Phrencys
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada270 Posts
November 24 2010 20:05 GMT
#253
On November 25 2010 04:09 Laeryck wrote:
and that can kill his army in A COST EFFICIENT WAY

This is where this BO is phenomenal as T. I have to say there's no better feeling than having an opponenent GG'ing, then looking at the score screen seeing both your armies where at about the same power, but his line goes all the way down while yours barely moves.

The only way to beat this push is manually killing SCVs. You simply CANNOT overpower it with 1A unless the Thors are really badly positioned, and the reason is retarded AI ignoring SCVs that are not in "attack" mode. Once SCVs are down, kill marines, THEN the thors.

And while Immortals are supposed to be the counter of armored units, 250mm actually hard-counter robotics units so I wouldn't count on them for that. What you need is many gateway units. Sentries can mess up repairing SCVs with FF as well.
Senorcuidado
Profile Joined May 2010
United States700 Posts
November 24 2010 20:23 GMT
#254
On November 25 2010 04:04 Jayrod wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 24 2010 16:11 naveedx983 wrote:
I've tried this a few times, it seemed to do a decent job of killing or denying his expansion while letting me get mine up with nearly no harass.

I see a lot of people talking about what can beat this, but this build doesn't really have a definite tell until you see the armory correct?

if you see alot of marines at the front and no tech labbed reactor you know hes teching to something, if hes not getting stim and hes not getting a thor or banshee, his build is shitty.


Protoss may not see the rax at all if it is built inside the base, but it doesn't really matter because they'll see a handful of marines and possibly a bunker. You should easily be able to tell whether it's barracks play or tech. But the awesome part is that all the tech play looks the same at the ramp! It could be a hellion drop, banshees, thors, or a polt style attack which is actually really heavy on bio after all. The appropriate responses to all those openings differ as well. Sure, immortals are nice against thors but you really really don't want two or three immortals against marines, banshees, and a raven. Phoenixes are pretty good if you think he's going for a starport but pretty marginal against marines and thors. Of course it isn't impossible, but you have to be balanced in your preparation against the possible tech builds and it's pretty risky to try to blind counter.

So even if there is a magical unit mix that shuts this down I wouldn't worry about it. No sane person on ladder is going to be blind countering thors, and in a tournament bo3 just mix it up. A safe balanced build can still stop the thor push but it's silly to call the opening bad because "I can make the perfect composition of units to obliterate thors based on scouting marines at your ramp".

I actually think that positioning and patience from both players matters more than unit comp.
bobcat
Profile Joined May 2010
United States488 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-24 21:19:55
November 24 2010 21:03 GMT
#255
On November 23 2010 02:24 Setev wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 21 2010 22:59 MockHamill wrote:
From my experience so far it is very risky build that easily can be overran by Protoss if you do not execute it perfectly. But since Protoss will auto-win the game if it gets past 12 minutes anyway, no matter what strategy Terran does, it is certainly the best option yet.


Naaah, don't form these perceptions too early. Try the more decent late game build orders from the guides/casters/TL. The part in bold is certainly not true.



You misunderstand. Protoss will autowin the game after 12 minutes because this guy got into diamond using a bunch of all in builds/3 rax and actually has no idea how to play late game.

On November 23 2010 04:47 CurLy[] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 23 2010 02:03 Thunderflesh wrote:
Also, I was using this build in a tourney last weekend (except I wasn't completely screwing up my micro, like against megagoten hehe), and noticed something important for using this in a series. If it is a BO3, if you use a thor rush in game one, sending a hellion scout in game two or three can tip off your opponent that it is coming.


BASTARD, haha. I just got back and figured I'd search TL to see if this was a build... I wish I saw this thread before the tourney haha. The first time seeing this was a total mindfuck, was fully expecting banshees, which means I pump out an obs instead of immortal first. Its hard to have more than 1 or 2 immortals to defend and they just get cannoned :O

Thunderflesh was rollin through protoss xD



Has anyone thought of trying void rays when they see a bunch of marines, they work against thors and banshee harass alike, although they would be less effective against a marine banshee push.
"I just want to see bobcat wrist deep in someone's mother's anus" 165 votes
bobcat
Profile Joined May 2010
United States488 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-24 21:19:44
November 24 2010 21:18 GMT
#256
Edit double post.
"I just want to see bobcat wrist deep in someone's mother's anus" 165 votes
TheRealDJ
Profile Joined August 2010
United States124 Posts
November 24 2010 21:42 GMT
#257

Has anyone thought of trying void rays when they see a bunch of marines, they work against thors and banshee harass alike, although they would be less effective against a marine banshee push.

I think I see the flaw in this proposed strategy...
eddytlaw
Profile Joined November 2010
United States102 Posts
November 24 2010 21:57 GMT
#258
seems interesting.. will check this out
I fantasized about this back in Chicago.
Roblicious
Profile Joined October 2010
United States64 Posts
November 25 2010 02:31 GMT
#259
Terran is my Off race and I mean I have like maybe 50 games under my belt as Terran and I pulled off this build against a 1900 toss who did 2 gate expand with them attacking me with 2 immortals and a handful of gateway units

TvP 2 Thor vs 2 gate Robo Expand
Proto_Protoss
Profile Joined September 2010
United States495 Posts
November 25 2010 02:34 GMT
#260
I've played this guy 3x on the ladder and he did the exact same build all 3 times the thor push. This ccan be held off with a FE its a little tricky sometimes you have to sac the expo. but basically if you have the same number of Immortals as thors you an come out on top with ff behind the thor while they go up the ramp and just focus down the thors quickly.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up everytime we do." - Confucius
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 23 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PondCast
10:00
Episode 111
CranKy Ducklings34
CranKy Ducklings SOOP13
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech122
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 2724
Bisu 1107
Jaedong 697
Horang2 657
Hyuk 487
BeSt 471
actioN 277
Light 257
firebathero 238
Zeus 206
[ Show more ]
Stork 169
Leta 140
EffOrt 126
Sexy 107
Soma 98
Last 97
ZerO 84
Soulkey 84
Pusan 67
Rush 58
Killer 46
ggaemo 43
Mong 39
Mind 36
Aegong 33
Shinee 33
soO 30
hero 30
ToSsGirL 24
Bale 21
Terrorterran 19
sorry 17
PianO 16
Sharp 15
Mini 15
Yoon 12
NaDa 11
Free 10
HiyA 10
JulyZerg 9
Noble 7
Shine 3
ajuk12(nOOB) 3
Dota 2
Fuzer 100
League of Legends
Reynor50
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1467
shoxiejesuss758
x6flipin204
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King155
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1934
crisheroes451
Other Games
gofns34890
singsing1840
XBOCT307
DeMusliM196
Livibee109
ArmadaUGS93
QueenE47
B2W.Neo26
ZerO(Twitch)9
Liquid`LucifroN1
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream312
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH310
• LUISG 38
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2276
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 8m
Stellar Fest
2h 8m
OSC
13h 8m
Stellar Fest
1d 2h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 23h
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.