• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:52
CEST 20:52
KST 03:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11741 users

[D] harvester optimization - Page 5

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
MindRush
Profile Joined April 2010
Romania916 Posts
April 21 2010 01:27 GMT
#81
tested and true ! no actual timings and such, didn't time my builds
i played against the AI on Desert Oasis ..... i played terran vs protoss
i kicked the AI's ass and i left him with just 1 assimilator

then i made 1 cc at a high yield and one at another , one space farther

the number of SCVs were 24 at one, 24 at the other, the one fartherst finished faster

the ai didn't mine from any high yield, and i saw that on the replay

i don't post the replay, just try it yourselves
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
Aether
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada123 Posts
April 21 2010 01:47 GMT
#82
OK, I did a more thorough test on guysers. As I expected there is a difference but it's incredibly small. A guyser takes around 23 minutes to exhaust with normal placement and moving your HQ +1 only adds about 9 seconds to that 23 minutes.

If we break it down into seconds, this is 2500/1380 vs 2500/1390.

1.811GPS or 108.7 GPM vs 1.798GPS or 107.9 GPM.

As I expected, the difference is less than 1 units of gas per minute. You lose approximately 0.8 GPM, and you would ONLY lose that on the high-yield guysers. This equates to only about 14 Gas over the course of over 23 minutes.

There could be a very slight difference depending on if the guysers are diagonal and in the centre or not, but I would still estimate an incredibly small difference. Possibly .9 as opposed to .8

The reason for this is as I stated earlier, with normal placement workers actually have to wait a split second before entering the guyser, so the added distance cuts into the waiting time before it cuts into the mining time, meaning that most of the extra distance is absorbed by the fact that probes don't have to wait to enter the guyser.
To answer your questions: No, I'm not that Aether and it is pronounced ee-thur. :)
GreggSauce
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States566 Posts
April 21 2010 01:52 GMT
#83
I think the real issue with this is its generally impractical with how the game is currently, could be useful in the future.

From my understanding of reading all of this, and you will lose minerals until you hit 18* because of the distance right? before it starts increase because you can have 3 maxed out instead of 2 right?

Most of the high resource games generally revolve around harrassing entire mineral lines and or killing off bases, making sure you have minimum 18 per minerals seems to be like another layer of complexity that might not even benefit you

it could be very useful as terran or zerg that are taking high yield resources, but I don't know, someone may find this useful, I just don't see it.
Must not sleep, must warn others
GreggSauce
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States566 Posts
April 21 2010 01:56 GMT
#84
also you can use a cheat program to speed up the single player game you seem to be a pretty bright person already so it shouldn't be too hard for you to figure out

thats how i tested stuff like this in wc3
Must not sleep, must warn others
Aether
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada123 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-21 12:14:21
April 21 2010 02:27 GMT
#85
That's true, I did mention that myself. This is why I realize it has limited uses.

I completely lied about this point that I'm editing out. It does require complete saturation to work. If you have 1 less than full saturation they work out to be pretty much even. ie: 17 vs 17. is equal and 18 vs 18 gives a bonus to the misplaced CC

After some more tests this might actually be MOST beneficial for Terran because of what you're saying here. I did another test building 2 command centres, building probes from each one with a rally point at a single mineral node.

When both patches have 20 workers, I queue up an additional 4 on 1 and 1 on the other. when the single SCV is done, I lift the CC off and replace it 1 space farther. The other CC continues building SCVs. Despite the fact that I fumbled badly trying to land my CC and kept it floating for a good 15-20 seconds, this mineral patch STILL caught up and finished first by about 15 more seconds. So considering the point about harassment, if a Terran used just a few workers at their high yield and spammed all of their MULEs there, while replacing a more well protected expo, the player will see a benefit without the risks associated with other races.

As far as speeding the game up, meh. I just set them to mine, then minimize it and do something else. Only takes a couple of minutes to build the first few resource buildings and set up HQs in the right place.

I think at this point I've done a pretty exhaustive battery of tests, I don't know how much more information there is to be acquired. I guess it's up to players who are better than me now to decide whether this will be beneficial in any given situation and whether it's worth using as a result. I think the practicality of it will depend largely on the map you're playing. On a map like metalopolis for example I think it would be highly impractical since the high yields are in a really difficult position to defend, but if you do this on say an island expo with some turrets or a high yield that's more easily defended then it could be viable.

Something for people to play around with and decide if they can make use of it.

edit
P.S. I'm really interested to hear what any of the top level guys around here think about this. I think they're the ones who have the potential to make use of something as small as this. Nazgul, Idra, day[9], etc. (I only know a few from the replays I've watched, heh)
To answer your questions: No, I'm not that Aether and it is pronounced ee-thur. :)
Moletrap
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States1297 Posts
April 21 2010 07:21 GMT
#86
Mad fucking props, Aether.

Just to be clear, this works with probes and drones as well?
aka Moletrap
Aether
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada123 Posts
April 21 2010 07:22 GMT
#87
yeah, all workers mine at the same speed.
To answer your questions: No, I'm not that Aether and it is pronounced ee-thur. :)
imPERSONater
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1324 Posts
April 21 2010 07:31 GMT
#88
haha, it's amazing what we bored SC players will unearth! Discoveries like this are why I am so excited for beta to end and get the real game out the masses. The first year of a game has massive development in strategies and I love to see these come to light so early. Great work Aether and for the rest of out sake, I hope you find some more free time to goof around soon!
Fan of: IdrA, Sen, Stephano, Snute, Axlav, Hero
s031720
Profile Joined December 2009
Sweden383 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-21 09:18:18
April 21 2010 09:15 GMT
#89
As rufio said.

In addition, early game;

Lets say your are making a FE. Your main will be saturated, so you can move that one 1 step away from the mineral lines and build a few more SCVs there to saturate it agian, and have your mules at the expo.

All you ever need as terran is one base close to the minerals for your mules to work at and the rest one step away. Since the positive effect of "One-Step-Away-Mining" only kicks in when the mineralline is fully saturated, and when not using mules; the mules should always go to the newest expansion. (not to mention that mules also always should go to the mineralline with most unmined minerals left which in this case coincide).

It would be interestin to see a spreadsheet of how much the income would benefit from having 2 ordinary minerallines and 1high yield mining with the "One-step-away-mining" idea, compared to the same but mining ordinarliy.
Just another noob
HoracE
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United Kingdom180 Posts
April 21 2010 10:02 GMT
#90
nothing short of genius.. very impressed. It is one of those simple scientific ideas that you think gosh should of thought of that but didn't. Love the logic and the way you have backed up your argument... you may well see this being used by the pros in tournaments which is definately kudos for your work.

Congrats.
shoop
Profile Joined November 2009
United Kingdom228 Posts
April 21 2010 10:22 GMT
#91
Excellent post. Judging by the reactions, it could double as an intelligence test.
MiraMax
Profile Joined July 2009
Germany532 Posts
April 21 2010 10:25 GMT
#92
I'd like to join the praise. Even if it does not provide a huge advantage, it can be done with little effort, so it might just become as standard as worker splitting. I agree that it might be especially valuable for expanding terrans.

I already foresee the new Flash of SC2 maynarding his scvs right before aethering his CC. Hell, it even sound right!!

sob3k
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States7572 Posts
April 21 2010 11:22 GMT
#93
Can we get a picture showing this new positioning vs old positioning?
In Hungry Hungry Hippos there are no such constraints—one can constantly attempt to collect marbles with one’s hippo, limited only by one’s hippo-levering capabilities.
Aether
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada123 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-21 12:08:14
April 21 2010 12:07 GMT
#94
sorry clicked wrong button.
To answer your questions: No, I'm not that Aether and it is pronounced ee-thur. :)
Liquid`Nazgul
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
22427 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-21 12:19:19
April 21 2010 12:10 GMT
#95
The problem here is that when you place your nexus one spot away anticipating saturation you are ill positioning yourself for worker harass. During the game he might kill off your workers and in plenty of games your count of 18 goes to a count of 12. Despite that there are certain scenarios where it could be worth it. Turtling Terrans, or games where you need to pull out a move to come back into it so you take a bit of risk trying to close the gap. Games where your main is mining out so you will know for sure you have 18 spare probes to mine to perfection on the new expo. Etc.

Really good stuff though I had been playing around with a lot of this stuff already such as for example where in SC:BW you needed to send your first 8 probes to 8 minerals, in SC2 if you get the opportunity you need to send a second probe to the closer minerals so two of them can return minerals from that one more quickly.
Administrator
Aether
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada123 Posts
April 21 2010 12:19 GMT
#96
right, but what do you think about Terrans using it in a main after they've expanded. ie you're in mid game, your expo has basically become your main because the main is mined out, and most of the harassment is actually happening at your high yield. So you lift off and replace the command center in the expo and spam mules at the high yield where the CC is in it's proper position. Then they have to either harass both mineral lines or choose between the high yield and the expo mining at slightly higher capacity. At this point you should be able to hold off harass at one of the two mineral lines so you're pretty much guaranteed a bonus beyond what the MULEs normally supply.
To answer your questions: No, I'm not that Aether and it is pronounced ee-thur. :)
Liquid`Nazgul
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
22427 Posts
April 21 2010 12:20 GMT
#97
Yep I definitely think there are situations in practice where it will help you in the game. It's going to be super tricky to get a feel for these situations. In short: I love it. It's the sort of thing SC2 needed.
Administrator
Aether
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada123 Posts
April 21 2010 12:26 GMT
#98
Yeah, like I said initially, I really think the uses are highly limited. I also think there are a small handful of situations where knowing to do it can give you a bit of an edge though, and I will be excited to see if someone is able to use it effectively some time in the future.
To answer your questions: No, I'm not that Aether and it is pronounced ee-thur. :)
mathemagician1986
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany549 Posts
April 21 2010 14:29 GMT
#99
Could someone please test how long it takes to mine out a gold mineral base with 16 (and mabye also with 17) workers with the standard CC position?

In my opinion, that's the real question here. Are the 2 extra SCVs worth the investment in terms of mining efficiency or not?

If a gold expo with 16 workers gets mined out just as fast as with 18 (due to workers changing patches regularly), the minerals/worker/time ratio is actually better than with the new method.

Kezzer
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States1268 Posts
April 21 2010 14:35 GMT
#100
Am I missing something? I see in the OP the numbers to back up his arguement, bonus income. But what I don't get is that once you are fully saturated *normally* with about 20-24 workers, the mineral nodes are constantly being mined from. And that rate is constant... no amount of space from the CC/nexus/hatch will change that.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM1174
TKL 409
IndyStarCraft 278
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1174
ByuN 490
TKL 409
IndyStarCraft 278
Reynor 237
EmSc Tv 13
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 28224
Calm 2500
Shuttle 376
Mini 173
White-Ra 144
firebathero 93
Mong 55
scan(afreeca) 22
soO 14
Sacsri 6
[ Show more ]
ZZZero.O 4
Dota 2
Gorgc11268
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3599
Liquid`Hasu490
MindelVK6
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2321
fl0m2091
FrodaN1737
summit1g1022
olofmeister842
B2W.Neo788
Khaldor448
Beastyqt294
crisheroes169
Livibee164
Mew2King72
ToD61
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick480
BasetradeTV180
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 13
EmSc2Tv 13
angryscii 10
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 28
• Adnapsc2 11
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach57
• Azhi_Dahaki22
• blackmanpl 22
• 80smullet 6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV589
Other Games
• imaqtpie1174
• Shiphtur606
• tFFMrPink 10
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
8m
BSL Open Qualifier
8m
OSC
4h 8m
Replay Cast
4h 8m
OSC
17h 8m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 16h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.