• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:52
CEST 20:52
KST 03:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11741 users

[D] harvester optimization - Page 4

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Liquid`Sheth
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States2095 Posts
April 20 2010 18:38 GMT
#61
Thanks Aether, Definetly gonna go home and check this out! =)
Team LiquidUnderneath it all they were really quite nice. They just got screwed up. Mostly by stuff that wasn't entirely their fault.
LuDwig-
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Italy1143 Posts
April 20 2010 19:21 GMT
#62
Ok i have given this a shot.
My experiment is made at the natural expansion @5 o clock of Kulas Ravine. I have made it with 24 workers and I start mining in the same way for both experiments (the 24 workers start mien together)
Here are my results.
I take note of mineral count every 30 seconds.
[image loading]

As you can see the "+1 expansions" not only mine at the same time of the "normal expansion" but in 8 minutes it takes an advantage of 240 minerals

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=120015&currentpage=98<--Search the HotBid's Post
Arcalious
Profile Joined March 2010
United States213 Posts
April 20 2010 19:25 GMT
#63
I tested this method using MULEs and it had a negative effect. Not a good method if you plan to use MULES. I also feel the small gain in mineral collection is cancelled by the small loss in gas collection. If anything, this test shows that it won't really hurt if for some reason you missplace your building.
CruS
Profile Joined March 2010
Sweden218 Posts
April 20 2010 19:27 GMT
#64
On April 21 2010 04:25 Arcalious wrote:
I tested this method using MULEs and it had a negative effect. Not a good method if you plan to use MULES. I also feel the small gain in mineral collection is cancelled by the small loss in gas collection. If anything, this test shows that it won't really hurt if for some reason you missplace your building.


Yes it has a dramatic effect on MULEs, however the gas issue was nothing to be bothered with.
barely 1 per minute?

I know my hatch will be going down on +1 more often than not thanks to this guy.
Whoever fears suffering, is already suffering from what he fears.
kawoq
Profile Joined November 2005
Guatemala357 Posts
April 20 2010 19:40 GMT
#65
On April 21 2010 04:25 Arcalious wrote:
I tested this method using MULEs and it had a negative effect. Not a good method if you plan to use MULES. I also feel the small gain in mineral collection is cancelled by the small loss in gas collection. If anything, this test shows that it won't really hurt if for some reason you missplace your building.


I was thinking just that while I read the 4 pages, since terrans will for sure use mules I think it wont be good to misplace the CC since it will make them have to travel more and they don't have to wait for a free patch so no need for the misplaced CC. I think Zerg and Protoss can make more of this.

Great find and congratz for the key you win for this post, you deserve it!

PD: just curious, wouldnt this logic apply to Broodwar too? have anyone tryed?
"It is not a shameful thing to be unable to reach the goal. It's becoming afraid and running away, even before considering the fact that the road is long and rough, that is truly cowardly." by - Lim Yo Hwan aka SlayerS_Boxer from "Crazy as me"
Silver777
Profile Joined March 2010
United States347 Posts
April 20 2010 19:56 GMT
#66
This seems like a great idea for toss, terran it seems inefficient due to mules mining over SCV's, as for zerg I am curious if the slight speed increase still allows for the square back mining to be efficient or will they reach their a split second to soon?
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-20 20:03:28
April 20 2010 20:03 GMT
#67
On April 21 2010 04:40 kawoq wrote:
PD: just curious, wouldnt this logic apply to Broodwar too? have anyone tryed?


Nope, it doesn't work because harvesters in BW don't wait at all, while in SC2 a worker will wait at a mineral patch if the worker that is currently mining is at least 50% (or some value similar to that) done. SC2 has a buffer for slightly varying distances because of that.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
SichuanPanda
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada1542 Posts
April 20 2010 20:13 GMT
#68
David Kim the balance designer for the game said in an interview or battle report I can't remember which, back in Alpha that the optimal numbers are 24 workers on minerals and 3 on each gas.
i-bonjwa
Amazn
Profile Joined March 2010
United States83 Posts
April 20 2010 20:15 GMT
#69
Hey congratz on your key. Well deserved :D
Let fear be your compass.
McCain
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States187 Posts
April 20 2010 21:18 GMT
#70
On April 21 2010 04:56 Silver777 wrote:
This seems like a great idea for toss, terran it seems inefficient due to mules mining over SCV's, as for zerg I am curious if the slight speed increase still allows for the square back mining to be efficient or will they reach their a split second to soon?

Drones don't get a speed bonus on creep, so it should be fine.
folke123
Profile Joined February 2010
Sweden133 Posts
April 20 2010 21:41 GMT
#71
Just want to see if I get this right.
the optimal amount of workers on minerals in your main is NOT 24? 3 at each patch? but like 21? 3 at the 5 patches farther away and 2 at the 3 closer patches?
Do I get a negative income of building 3 at each or just no more income of them?

and then on an expansion if I put it down 1 step back, I would get the maximum minerals with 3 on each patch?
Aether
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada123 Posts
April 20 2010 23:36 GMT
#72
On April 21 2010 03:26 Full wrote:
I just tested

15 drones with further distance
vs 13 drones at closer distance

This was on high yield.

They both finished at the same time.

Not sure if i should have done more drones, but i can link replay if u want.


Yeah, you need more workers to make use of that difference.

What's important to focus on is not the efficiency of the workers. This is relatively unimportant. It's the efficiency of the mineral node, ie: is it being mined every possible second.

Full saturation on a normal placement should be 15/14 workers vs 18 on the farther end. If you do 18 vs 15 the difference is more like a minute and a half.
To answer your questions: No, I'm not that Aether and it is pronounced ee-thur. :)
Rufio52
Profile Joined April 2010
United States15 Posts
April 20 2010 23:40 GMT
#73
I started off skeptical (like almost everyone I think) but you had tons of data and info, so good jorb on that. I don't have a Beta Key either, so I hope I'm not just spewing garbage.

I've heard lots of people agreeing that this can help for Protoss and Zerg on gold expos, but I think Terran is the one race that can really use this to their advantage on a large percentage of their games.

For Terran, it seems like it would best be used almost the exact opposite as P or Z would use it. It would be bad to do this on a gold expansion because that's where all the MULEs should be going, and if they make one less trip then it's a big loss.

But because terran have the unique ability to move buildings, they are the only ones who can take advantage of this on any and every base each game, as long as they have enough SCVs and leave a single base at the normal distance for MULEs.

For this hypothetical game example, I'm going to completely ignore attacking/defending and just focus on mining efficiency:
So let's say it's mid-game and we are playing Terran with whatever strategy (doesn't matter). We have our main and natural at normal distances from the minerals. We have our eye on a gold expansion, so we are going to be creating extra SCVs to get ready to transfer them to the gold expo. With this extreme saturation and an extra base to dump all the MULEs, this player can lift and land his natural CC one space away to increase effeciency and income until the gold base gets up and running. Why move the natural, you ask? Because there are more minerals there at this point in the game, and we are about to have the gold base to spend the MULEs on. We can save the MULEs temporarily for the gold base. Remember, we wouldn't be moving the CC back if we weren't just about to take the gold.

After the gold base is up and running at the normal distance for MULEs (and a Planetary Fortress since this base won't be moving), a bit later on in this same game, we are under pressure and need a little boost in econemy but can't expand. So instead we just build more SCVs at our main and move the CC one space further back so we can get the mineral boost.

Let's pretend that our opponent gets some excellent harrasment at our natural and kills almost all of our SCVs there. We already have extra SCVs and simply move some of them from the main to the natural and move both CCs back to their original positions. This way, even if we lost a huge number of SCVs it doesn't hurt our economy too much (or at least as much as it normally would).

A bit later and we get a hidden expantion at a different base. Because we can't get enough SCVs right away, we should position the CC at the normal spot. Then maybe our main starts running out of minerals (because we've been mining faster than normal) or we just get enough SCVs produced there that it gets over saturated at the normal distance, so we pick up and land one space away. All the while sending all our MULEs to the gold base so we get as much income as efficient as possible.

This can go on in a pattern; As long as we have one base at the normal distance to spend MULEs on (preferably a gold base), we can make all other bases one space out, provided sufficient SCVs.

So far in this game we are mining/have mined three bases faster than normal which can add up to a significant increase in income. Not only that, but we weren't forced to have less than optimal mining at any point in this game, with or without worker harass, like Protoss or Zerg would have.

Now this optimization may have helped, but then we get into some grey areas I'm still wondering about. Part of me feels like this may be over-analysis, but another part says this may save my ass if it comes up and I know what to do. Back to our example game:
Once again a little later in this same imaginary game, we lose the gold base but we aren't out of the game yet (maybe some excellent harasment, base trade, whatever). We are able to save most of the SCVs that were there, and they move to our main & natural to keep the hidden base secret. Now what? Move one base closer for MULEs? Move both closer since we are going to have ridiculous over-saturation and SCVs are going to be dancing regardless? Move neither for the same reason (over-saturation)? This is of course assuming we have the time and presence of mind to do anything, and the enough pressure that we can't expand. In essence, once you get over 3 workers per patch, does it cease to matter what position the HQ is in?

Super-saturation (more than 3/patch) may seem extremely unlikely to happen, but if this is a sensible strategy then a lot of time we are going to have more workers compared to the normal now, so it would be more likely to have super-saturation.

And one final question outside of any hypotheticals: Does the gas mining not change even if the minerals make a corner and the gas is in the middle? So the HQ is one space vertical and one space horizontal off of the normal position, and the gas is as far away as possible?

On April 21 2010 06:41 folke123 wrote:
Just want to see if I get this right.
the optimal amount of workers on minerals in your main is NOT 24? 3 at each patch? but like 21? 3 at the 5 patches farther away and 2 at the 3 closer patches?
Do I get a negative income of building 3 at each or just no more income of them?

and then on an expansion if I put it down 1 step back, I would get the maximum minerals with 3 on each patch?


To answer what I can:
The point of the OP is that you can get more efficient use out of 24 workers if the HQ is placed one space further back than normal. If you can't move the base (Z & P & Planetary Fortress), then you rapidly start to loose worker efficiency once you go over 2 at the close mineral patches and 3 at the farther ones. The problem with 3 workers at the close patches is that one of the workers will get to the patch too soon and switch patches and spend too much time trying to find an open patch when really it would have been quicker to just wait it out at the first patch. Even if a base is one space back then with 3 workers there is near max patch efficiency.

I can't test these myself as I don't have a Beta key, but I have been following as much of what is happening as I have time for. And if you can't tell, I love the super technical. :D
Aether
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada123 Posts
April 20 2010 23:42 GMT
#74
On April 21 2010 04:25 Arcalious wrote:
I tested this method using MULEs and it had a negative effect. Not a good method if you plan to use MULES. I also feel the small gain in mineral collection is cancelled by the small loss in gas collection. If anything, this test shows that it won't really hurt if for some reason you missplace your building.


Yeah, I suspected this might be the case. One possible way terrans can make use of this though is to use normal placement on high-yields, but on a normal expo, lift off and land 1 space farther once a normal mineral field is fully saturated, only using their MULEs on the normally placed CCs. So if your natural is saturated, you have a high-yield, you would use all of your MULEs on the high-yield, land the CC at your natural one space farther, and you should see gain as a result, since the MULEs are acting independently of the misplaced CC.

I don't believe there is a loss in gas, the reason being that with normal placement the workers have to wait a split second to enter the guyser, so by moving it only one square farther, the travel time eats into the waiting time BEFORE it eats into the mining time.
To answer your questions: No, I'm not that Aether and it is pronounced ee-thur. :)
Aether
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada123 Posts
April 20 2010 23:45 GMT
#75
Ah rufio beat me to it, yeah I agree. That is the way for Terran to take advantage of this. Use MULEs on a regular placement high-yield, and move your CC back once you reach full saturation on a normal field.

Good observation Rufio.
To answer your questions: No, I'm not that Aether and it is pronounced ee-thur. :)
MementoMori
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada419 Posts
April 21 2010 00:41 GMT
#76
Just want to mention that this is an awesome find, and thanks for all the work you put in! But if you did move your command center as has been suggested by lifting it, you'd have to figure out the mining time lost while the cc was in the air and figure out how long it would take for the new position to overtake the minerals gained from the non-moved CC. I'm betting lifting a CC like that probably wouldn't be beneficial.
for the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
fantomex
Profile Joined June 2009
United States313 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-21 00:47:02
April 21 2010 00:44 GMT
#77
This newb question but: why do I see players maynard 4 drones to expansion when they have less than 16 mining at their main (in many cases way under 16... like 12). Is it so they can just mindlessly spam drones at both bases or is there some advantage that makes up for all the minerals lost while they're moving from base to base?
Replay or GTFO
MementoMori
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada419 Posts
April 21 2010 00:48 GMT
#78
On April 21 2010 09:44 fantomex wrote:
This newb question but: way do I see players maynard 4 drones to expansion when they have less than 16 mining at their main (in many cases way under 16... like 12). Is it so they can just mindlessly spam drones at both bases or is there some advantage that makes up for all the minerals lost while they're moving from base to base?


It's because (at least from my understanding) even though in theory you could have 2 on each mineral patch in the main, it's not so easy to make them actually mine like that. They'll probably be dancing around and losing time when it would be better to just send em over to the expo.
for the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
Aether
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada123 Posts
April 21 2010 01:19 GMT
#79
I'm going to do some more thorough tests on whether gas is impacted or not. My game is minimized right now running tests.

As for the point about the liftoff time, I did consider that, Not sure how it would impact the overall time. I can try testing that as well.
To answer your questions: No, I'm not that Aether and it is pronounced ee-thur. :)
Rufio52
Profile Joined April 2010
United States15 Posts
April 21 2010 01:22 GMT
#80
On April 21 2010 10:19 Aether wrote:
I'm going to do some more thorough tests on whether gas is impacted or not. My game is minimized right now running tests.

As for the point about the liftoff time, I did consider that, Not sure how it would impact the overall time. I can try testing that as well.


I can't test it, but I would think that it's not more than 3 ~ 4 seconds of lost mining time. Surely if you end up moving a lot back and forth then there could be some significant lost time, but as long as you switch positions at a very deliperate pace and don't rush things too much, it would seem to be worth it in the long run.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM1174
TKL 409
IndyStarCraft 278
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1174
ByuN 490
TKL 409
IndyStarCraft 278
Reynor 237
EmSc Tv 13
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 28224
Calm 2500
Shuttle 376
Mini 173
White-Ra 144
firebathero 93
Mong 55
scan(afreeca) 22
soO 14
Sacsri 6
[ Show more ]
ZZZero.O 4
Dota 2
Gorgc11268
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3599
Liquid`Hasu490
MindelVK6
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2321
fl0m2091
FrodaN1737
summit1g1022
olofmeister842
B2W.Neo788
Khaldor448
Beastyqt294
crisheroes169
Livibee164
Mew2King72
ToD61
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick480
BasetradeTV180
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 13
EmSc2Tv 13
angryscii 10
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 28
• Adnapsc2 11
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach57
• Azhi_Dahaki22
• blackmanpl 22
• 80smullet 6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV589
Other Games
• imaqtpie1174
• Shiphtur606
• tFFMrPink 10
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
8m
BSL Open Qualifier
8m
OSC
4h 8m
Replay Cast
4h 8m
OSC
17h 8m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 16h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.