• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:01
CEST 16:01
KST 23:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Where can I find Flash replays that work? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6607 users

[M] Ignis inferis laboratory

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Dellron
Profile Joined October 2012
United States69 Posts
April 19 2013 15:56 GMT
#1
Hello all, i'm back and i present to you my new melee map, ignis inferis laboratory.

image:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


sorry about the low quality picture, i suggest you watch the video for a better view.

video:
+ Show Spoiler +


i like to create maps that are different than most other maps out there. so i decided on a laboratory that's built on a volcanic planet.

i went with an easy to defend natural and gave players a choice on what third to take. the three different attacks paths allow for varied gameplay and surprise attacks. where you expand will have a big effect on how the game go's and your opponent attacks.


the geyser on island is a rich one and the top of the walls isn't path-able.

i worked a lot on how this map looked and i tried using lighting regions for the first time. i think it turned out good.


concerns:
the main is really small, so im not sure about that.
the expansions might be too easy to defend.
the globes by the third closer to the bottom might block to much.
the map is very narrow and there isn't much wide open space.
there is a lot of dead space on the map.


so please give me any feedback you can, as i'm still new to map making.
"too much freedom is bad" -day9 the dictator
Callynn
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands917 Posts
April 19 2013 16:40 GMT
#2
Hi, seems like a very unorthodox approach to mapmaking - but I suppose that's due to your being new to it. Your concerns are very legitimate. The main is too small and so is the natural space (through which logically follows the too easy to defend problem).

I'm not a fan of the hard, straight lines - though I suppose that's a part of your theme.

Upload a high-def screen on imgur next time, helps with constructive feedback.
Comparing BW with SCII is like comparing a beautiful three-master sailing ship with a modern battlecruiser. Both are beautiful in their own way, both perform the same task, but they are worlds apart in how they are built and how they are steered.
Bionicrm
Profile Joined June 2012
United States116 Posts
April 19 2013 20:10 GMT
#3
I don't mean to spam, but I made a video on how to make a melee map for beginners here. As for the map... it's way too square, and I go over this in my video. Also, be careful not to place doodads with a large footprint all over.
Just make maps and don't even publish them. You'll get in the habit of doing certain things and just practice! Good luck, have fun, and I hope you learn something from my video.
Qikz
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United Kingdom12056 Posts
April 19 2013 20:51 GMT
#4
On April 20 2013 05:10 Bionicrm wrote:
I don't mean to spam, but I made a video on how to make a melee map for beginners here. As for the map... it's way too square, and I go over this in my video. Also, be careful not to place doodads with a large footprint all over.
Just make maps and don't even publish them. You'll get in the habit of doing certain things and just practice! Good luck, have fun, and I hope you learn something from my video.


I know this sounds silly, but what's wrong with having a square map?

This is a pretty cool idea.
FanTaSy's #1 Fan | STPL Caster/Organiser | SKT BEST KT | https://twitch.tv/stpl
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
April 19 2013 21:02 GMT
#5
On April 20 2013 05:51 Qikz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2013 05:10 Bionicrm wrote:
I don't mean to spam, but I made a video on how to make a melee map for beginners here. As for the map... it's way too square, and I go over this in my video. Also, be careful not to place doodads with a large footprint all over.
Just make maps and don't even publish them. You'll get in the habit of doing certain things and just practice! Good luck, have fun, and I hope you learn something from my video.


I know this sounds silly, but what's wrong with having a square map?

This is a pretty cool idea.


Nothing is wrong with a square map, it just depends on the tileset. Blizzard mapmakers themselves have told me that unless your map is man-made, do not make it too geometric. If this map were all organic, and square, then it would be weird but since it's technically a science facility, there's nothing wrong with that.
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
Dellron
Profile Joined October 2012
United States69 Posts
April 19 2013 21:06 GMT
#6
On April 20 2013 01:40 Callynn wrote:
Hi, seems like a very unorthodox approach to mapmaking - but I suppose that's due to your being new to it. Your concerns are very legitimate. The main is too small and so is the natural space (through which logically follows the too easy to defend problem).

I'm not a fan of the hard, straight lines - though I suppose that's a part of your theme.

Upload a high-def screen on imgur next time, helps with constructive feedback.

yeah, the straight lines are part of this maps theme.

and what do you mean by high-def. thats the best quality i could get while still having the whole map. maybe i should upload more pictures that are zoomed in and only have certain parts.


On April 20 2013 05:10 Bionicrm wrote:
I don't mean to spam, but I made a video on how to make a melee map for beginners here. As for the map... it's way too square, and I go over this in my video. Also, be careful not to place doodads with a large footprint all over.
Just make maps and don't even publish them. You'll get in the habit of doing certain things and just practice! Good luck, have fun, and I hope you learn something from my video.

i made the map really square on purpose, it was kinda the theme

On April 20 2013 05:51 Qikz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2013 05:10 Bionicrm wrote:
I don't mean to spam, but I made a video on how to make a melee map for beginners here. As for the map... it's way too square, and I go over this in my video. Also, be careful not to place doodads with a large footprint all over.
Just make maps and don't even publish them. You'll get in the habit of doing certain things and just practice! Good luck, have fun, and I hope you learn something from my video.


I know this sounds silly, but what's wrong with having a square map?

This is a pretty cool idea.


thanks.


thanks for your feedback guys, i really appreciate it.
"too much freedom is bad" -day9 the dictator
Dellron
Profile Joined October 2012
United States69 Posts
April 19 2013 21:09 GMT
#7
On April 20 2013 06:02 IronManSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2013 05:51 Qikz wrote:
On April 20 2013 05:10 Bionicrm wrote:
I don't mean to spam, but I made a video on how to make a melee map for beginners here. As for the map... it's way too square, and I go over this in my video. Also, be careful not to place doodads with a large footprint all over.
Just make maps and don't even publish them. You'll get in the habit of doing certain things and just practice! Good luck, have fun, and I hope you learn something from my video.


I know this sounds silly, but what's wrong with having a square map?

This is a pretty cool idea.


Nothing is wrong with a square map, it just depends on the tileset. Blizzard mapmakers themselves have told me that unless your map is man-made, do not make it too geometric. If this map were all organic, and square, then it would be weird but since it's technically a science facility, there's nothing wrong with that.


ninja'd

but yeah, its man-made and men like things square. i tried to make the lava area's as least square as possible.
"too much freedom is bad" -day9 the dictator
Bionicrm
Profile Joined June 2012
United States116 Posts
April 19 2013 21:48 GMT
#8
Ok... I should probably reword this: don't overdo the "squareness". It's harsh to look at a perfectly square base... maybe add at least a few "dents" here and there. Since it is a facility, reserve certain spots for, say, an unpathable area where there's a bunch of scientists working... be creative. Also, stay away from doodads that don't pertain to the theme, but because of the quality of the image, I'm not saying you certainly have irrelivant doodads. So anyway, good luck.
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-19 21:58:27
April 19 2013 21:58 GMT
#9
Not enough openness, and too many tight chokepoints, as well as narrow hallways and constricting doodad forests.

Doodad layer --> ctrl + a --> delete. Then knock down a few walls. Then look at the map. That should more or less be what the openness should look like. After that, try to do some strategic redesign on routes and obstructions. Your goal should be moving towards something resembling ladder maps, but I don't think you have to take it that far.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
lorestarcraft
Profile Joined April 2011
United States1049 Posts
April 20 2013 02:10 GMT
#10
May not be the best for competitive play, but I really like how fresh this is. Good job.
SC2 Mapmaker
Fen1kz
Profile Joined July 2010
Russian Federation216 Posts
April 20 2013 12:16 GMT
#11
i hate squary maps =(
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech143
Codebar 2
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 3615
Jaedong 2578
Leta 2268
Soulkey 1921
EffOrt 1045
Soma 677
Mini 503
Horang2 385
BeSt 317
Light 305
[ Show more ]
Stork 262
Rush 261
Larva 231
Snow 185
Killer 140
ggaemo 131
Barracks 117
hero 115
Zeus 114
firebathero 99
JYJ 90
Mong 63
Sharp 42
Shinee 31
ToSsGirL 30
Aegong 29
Bale 29
sorry 22
zelot 21
Sexy 19
Rock 11
Shine 11
Terrorterran 8
Sacsri 8
Icarus 7
JulyZerg 7
Dota 2
Gorgc6795
qojqva1400
Dendi759
XaKoH 449
Counter-Strike
Fnx 606
kRYSTAL_97
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes4392
Khaldor227
Other Games
gofns45440
singsing1662
olofmeister1236
B2W.Neo829
byalli573
Lowko377
DeMusliM195
mouzStarbuck161
Liquid`VortiX135
Livibee123
ArmadaUGS91
OGKoka 83
Chillindude13
amsayoshi11
Railgan9
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV333
BasetradeTV211
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream185
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 63
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 23
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV358
League of Legends
• Nemesis1756
• Jankos1734
• TFBlade424
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
9h 59m
Kung Fu Cup
20h 59m
The PondCast
1d 19h
OSC
1d 22h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.