• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:01
CEST 11:01
KST 18:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9232 users

[M] (8) Sand Ocean

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
TheFish7
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States2824 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-09 21:47:17
March 07 2012 02:20 GMT
#1
[image loading]

<Sand Ocean> (<1.1>)
Made by: <TheFish>
Published on: < [NA] >

Version 1.1 Has been updated and uploaded to NA

[image loading]



Introduction/Inspiration:
Building on my experience creating Black Mesa, I decided to tackle yet another 4v4 melee map. Seeing as how I thought up the layout while listening to the F-zero soundtrack, I decided to name it Sand Ocean. My idea behind these 4v4 maps is that I want to create something a bit more macro oriented than the current ladder maps. I also want to challenge myself and get people thinking about how to balance team maps.

In terms of balance, I would expect alot of 2 base play since it is easy to hold on to the 7 local bases near the starting locations. When designing the layout, I was trying to encourage the bottom left team to expand to their right, while the top right team should have an easier time expanding left. Thats where the bridge comes in - my hope was that after people start expanding on the sides, the bridge would become hugely important since it becomes not only the path to your opponents expansions, but also holds 2 gold bases.


Pictures (Aesthetics): (please note that pics are from version 1.0)

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]




Data (Aesthetics):
Texture Set:
Monlyth Sand
Meinhoff Rock
Monlyth Dunes
New Folsom Sand
Monlyth Bricks
Monlyth Plates
Tarsonis Detail
Meinhoff Craters

Cliff Type:
Meinhoff Organic
Monlyth Manmade

Data (Gameplay)
Playable Bounds: 198 X 184
Number of Starting Positions: <8>
Number of Bases: 30; 26- normal, 2- 8min/1richgas, 2- 6richmin/1richgas

Pictures - Map Analyzer

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

[image loading]



Change Log Version 1.1

+ Show Spoiler +
- Added 2 new bases - at 3 o'clock and 9 o-clock.
- Removed the watchtowers at 3 and 9 o'clock and removed the highground islands they were on
- Moved the other two watchtowers to the center of the attack path, placed them on low ground, removed their high ground islands.
- Widened the center of the "bridge" and added warning decals to denote seige-tank range on main bases.
- Widened the chokes leading onto the "bridge"
- Teams should now have an easier time expanding in both directions.
- Added blue fog.


Feedback is of course welcome
~ ~ <°)))><~ ~ ~
The_Templar
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
your Country52798 Posts
March 07 2012 02:25 GMT
#2
Quite nice, but I would personally redesign it so that:
1. All bases are in the corner, as the mains near the center lead to a very choked and long, bland center. I would perfer a more open center since it is 4v4.
2. Make it easier for 2 players to take a third, as you need the entire map to secure them, despite the large number of bases, which I like.
ModeratorI am still alive, somehow
TL+ Member
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10566 Posts
March 07 2012 03:39 GMT
#3
Should include an easier nat for the 4th player or else its gonna turn into a 6 pool + 3 fe xD
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
TheFish7
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States2824 Posts
March 07 2012 04:10 GMT
#4
OK, Here is how I see the expansions thing going as I laid it out...

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


And some potential changes I have been toying with in my head, but I'm not sure about.

-Bringing the odd-man-out 2nd base ( 6 / 12 oclock) slightly closer to the double-main.

-Widening the southernmost and northernmost entryways to the "bridge"

-Tucking the one gas blue mineral base in closer to the corner.
- Adding another base at 3 oclock and 9 oclock (I have been reluctant to go up to 30 bases. it seems excessive) And moving that watchtower to the middle of the attack path and the 1gas blue mineral base. This would of course change the way players would expo...

~ ~ <°)))><~ ~ ~
WniO
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2706 Posts
March 07 2012 04:57 GMT
#5
its a ok job with the textures, but the layout looks really fun, the middle feels forced though.
ihasaKAROT
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands4730 Posts
March 07 2012 08:26 GMT
#6
Poor guy whos last to expand and has to take the gimpy, friendless expo to the sides
KCCO!
Chargelot
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
2275 Posts
March 07 2012 11:04 GMT
#7
On March 07 2012 17:26 ihasaKAROT wrote:
Poor guy whos last to expand and has to take the gimpy, friendless expo to the sides

This happens a lot in 3v3 and 4v4 maps. It's actually a good way to force decision making and strategy.
if (post == "stupid") { document.getElementById('post').style.display = 'none'; }
TheFish7
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States2824 Posts
March 07 2012 20:32 GMT
#8
@TehTemplar; Thanks! 1- So you're saying it would be better if the center were a bit more open and that the main bases in the middle should be farther apart. I agree with you that my bridge may be a bit too cramped and I'll probably be widening it up a bit. However, if you look at a map like Extinction It doesn't even have a real center (at least not for ground units) and I still manage to have a lot of fun games on that map.
2- Yes it is tough to take a 3rd base. This is on purpose. However, what your saying is that you need to control a huge area of the map to get a 3rd, which I agree with, but can't think of an easy solution.

@FlaShFTW Indeed! You've just described 75% of the 4v4 games on ladder. However, I don't want to make it 8 base vs. 8 base right off the bat because then you just make timing attacks very strong. Imagine 4 zergs all roach/ling all-inning at once, or a 32-gate timing attack.

@WniO Thank you. I agree the middle could be improved upon. Also my texturing is not the best, but I'm quickly getting alot better

@ihasaKAROT This is true, but it is also the case on District 10 as well as on Deadlock Ridge. I actually took alot of inspiration from these maps as I feel they encourage some of the most fun gameplay in 4v4. If you notice my expansion pattern is very similar to district 10, that was by design.

@Chargelot Yes, thanks for pointing this out. Its what I had in mind when I laid out the expos in this way. To continue the debate, I would be certainly willing to reposition some of the natural expos, etc, to make them easier to hold, or closer to the mains, but I'm not willing to add pocket expansions or make the map encourage "nr20" type gameplay.

Thanks for the comments, I'll be updating with some small changes soon. If anyone has any suggestions or counterpoints to my ideas, I'd be delighted to hear.
~ ~ <°)))><~ ~ ~
Dark Lord
Profile Joined March 2011
United States38 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-08 02:38:01
March 08 2012 02:36 GMT
#9
On March 07 2012 13:10 TheFish7 wrote:
OK, Here is how I see the expansions thing going as I laid it out...

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]



The lone thirds you indicated are less likely to be taken. the picture below depicts what I mean.

+ Show Spoiler [Expansion Pattern] +
[image loading]


Since the other three players on the the red team are expanding counter clockwise it is also likely that the fourth player will take a more exposed expansion in that same direction. Even though that expansion is more exposed it is also more protected by the other teammates, while the other expansion would be basically defenseless. Players are just more likely to expand in the same direction unless someone is ninja expanding. The thirds I marked are more likely to be possible fourths for the other team if the game were to go really long in my opinion. This creates an interesting attack pattern to the game, as shown with arrows, where each team wants to attack in different lanes.

Note that I'm just suggesting that your intended theory of expansion taking is wrong, not that that imbalances the map or anything. I'm just saying that the way you think expansions are going to be taken may not be right.

EDIT- The point is if for some reason you really want players to expand that way you might want to rework those expansions.
TheFish7
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States2824 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-08 21:13:44
March 08 2012 21:04 GMT
#10
@Dark Lord Good point and very insightful. The bases in question ( 3oclock and 9oclock) have been bugging me since I started this map, I just could never think of a way to make that area more interesting. I have been thinking of everything from making that base a gold base, to moving the watchtower, to adding another expo there, to adding some destructible rocks a la District 10. that area is the main place teams will defend in, so its pretty important but I could never quite decide what to do with it, so I just stuck to my original plan. That being said, I'd like to make it more interesting....

EDIT: I think I know what I'm going to do. I'm going to move that watchtower "forward" so that it more closely mirrors the one closer to the other team on the same path. I'd put it roughly in the spot where the current statue is. That way that area is a bit easier to defend. The only question that remains is what to do with the resources in that area. I'll start by moving that base closer to the mains, but the question is whether or not I should add another base at 3oclock and 9oclock, which would make 30 bases total. As far as I know (not 100% sure) the most bases on any ladder map is 24.
~ ~ <°)))><~ ~ ~
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
March 09 2012 08:21 GMT
#11
I feel like the 12 and 6 watch towers are in the wrong places, and nonethless too powerful. They're on high ground which means you can park a dozen siege tanks next to it and you've secured it pretty good. I would move those 2 towers somewhere out of the way.
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
TheFish7
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States2824 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-09 21:53:09
March 09 2012 21:50 GMT
#12
Update: Version 1.1 has been published on NA.

Change Log Version 1.1

+ Show Spoiler +
- Added 2 new bases - at 3 o'clock and 9 o-clock.
- Removed the watchtowers at 3 and 9 o'clock and removed the highground islands they were on
- Moved the other two watchtowers to the center of the attack path, placed them on low ground, removed their high ground islands.
- Widened the center of the "bridge" and added warning decals to denote seige-tank range on main bases.
- Widened the chokes leading onto the "bridge"
- Teams should now have an easier time expanding in both directions.
- Added fog.


Pictures of the changes ~~
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]


@IronManSC Thanks for the advice, I decided you were right and got rid of those high ground spots. The number of towers is now 2, and they are located in the middle of the main attack routes, you can now also sneak around the watchtowers by sticking to the sides of the map. (see pic above)
~ ~ <°)))><~ ~ ~
iceman8711
Profile Joined March 2012
United States14 Posts
March 10 2012 16:25 GMT
#13
Very interesting layout. Right now the outer starting positions have the advantage of joined mains, however the inner spawns are separate rather than joined. Maybe the outer spawns should be separated like the inner spawns? I would choose one or the other. In late game, the inner spawns are obviously going to be more vulnerable to quick aerial pokes so army mobility is going to be important. Not sure what should be done about it, but it's something to consider. I really like the crystals in the water by the way.
Edmund Duke Stadium - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=318778
TheFish7
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States2824 Posts
March 12 2012 16:43 GMT
#14
@iceman8711 Thanks! Yes, I do see that it could be a potential problem. The easy fix I would go for would be to simply connect the bases closer to the middle to make it a bit easier to defend air units and drops.

If anyone is interested, here is a replay of a ZZZZ v ZZZZ game I played with Very Hard AI's on the map, just to test it out and play around. All the AI's go roach/hydra, so I just dismantle them with ling/muta. Its really easy to trick the AIs in the middle to run their units back and forth to defend my air aggression. I'd think a human player would be smarter, but it makes me think air units might be a bit strong with the layout how it is.

http://drop.sc/130139
~ ~ <°)))><~ ~ ~
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 59m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech0
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 568
910 476
Hyuk 281
Soma 85
Dewaltoss 76
Light 69
Killer 64
Yoon 52
Shinee 43
Mind 37
[ Show more ]
NotJumperer 37
Bale 25
ZergMaN 25
yabsab 20
sorry 17
Noble 6
Dota 2
XcaliburYe225
League of Legends
JimRising 437
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1193
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1992
Khaldor512
Other Games
gofns4111
singsing1187
ceh9631
XBOCT326
Mew2King150
ArmadaUGS44
DeMusliM18
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick656
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream296
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH175
• LUISG 33
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2290
League of Legends
• Jankos1238
• Stunt575
Other Games
• WagamamaTV109
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
1h 59m
Stellar Fest
3h 59m
The PondCast
1d
OSC
1d 3h
Stellar Fest
1d 3h
OSC
1d 14h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.