• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:12
CEST 14:12
KST 21:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror mca64Launcher 2.0 Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8052 users

Map Design: Understanding Concepts

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-04 23:03:03
January 04 2012 22:59 GMT
#1
I wanted to try something similar to what the moderators do over on battle.net when they ask about taking thirds, destructible rocks, and other gameplay features to let players give their perspectives on particular parts of the game so others may draw from it. I wanted to do the same thing, but for map-making. This is mostly, and specifically for map-makers to give their thoughts so newer map-makers and mabye visitors can see how we operate.

While I feel there is some helpful Q&A in the Simple Questions/Simple Answers thread, it doesn't give a solid foundation that will help you obtain the mentality of a map-maker. There are also several guides, as provided by Barrin that talk about simple things in map-making, but again there is nothing there that map-makers have composed for the public. So, each week I will post a Map Design thread, with a specific topic for all map-makers to give their perspectives on, but also insightful suggestions, methods, and ideas.

when I have made several threads, I will make a global thread containing all the topics that hopefully will give map-maker insight in different areas of map-making and the editor for all who are interested in becoming a map-maker. Without further ado... let's get started on our first map-making topic.

________________________________________________________




Understanding: Concepts


• What is your definition of a map concept?
• How do you come up with a concept?
• How do you apply your concept to your map?
• In what ways does your concept impact the aesthetics and layout?
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
wrl
Profile Joined April 2011
United States209 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-04 23:27:42
January 04 2012 23:25 GMT
#2
• What is your definition of a map concept?
Other people might consider map concepts more broad, but to me a map concept is the starting point on which you build the rest of your map around. Sometimes a concept can be simply aesthetic, but usually its best to start with a unique terrain element that would be interesting to play on. I like to think that on a completed and excellent map, you shouldn't be able to tell what the concept is/was.

• How do you come up with a concept?
Usually just messing around in the editor, not working on a particular map, and messing with proportions. If I find something that looks interesting I start thinking of ways that might make it not work in a map (things like towers, tanks, flying units come to mind).

• How do you apply your concept to your map?
Usually I briefly sketch it on a piece of paper and start figuring out how expansions can be placed to best interact with it. Then it is just quickly creating a rough copy in the editor, followed by evening out proportions.

• In what ways does your concept impact the aesthetics and layout?
Typically for me the concept is the groundwork for the layout and the aesthetics are almost entirely independent.
It's funny; I dream a lot, but I'm not a very good sleeper.
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-05 00:20:58
January 05 2012 00:18 GMT
#3
Well, I've still got a ways to go, so I don't know how insightful my answers can be, but I feel like I've made a good deal of progress so far, and so a newer mapper might have something to gain from what I say. Here goes.

On January 05 2012 07:59 IronManSC wrote:
• What is your definition of a map concept?

For me, a map concept can be split into two halves, being the obvious 2 aspects, layout and aesthetics. I find that regardless of aesthetic work, a layout can have a certain feel to it, almost like a soul. If made correctly, the areas of a map will end up feeling like the different rooms in a house, with a different reason for a player to want to go to each and every section. The aesthetics take this feeling, and extend it, so that it may be fully expressed as intended. I usually take a separate inspiration for each, and focus my efforts on each one as I do them. Almost sort of kinda obvious, really.

On January 05 2012 07:59 IronManSC wrote:
• How do you come up with a concept?

Oh, I just finished explaining this. Crap. But yeah, inspiration will come from a few different places, from scenes around me, scenes in pictures, scenes in movies, even scenes in other maps, but those are just for the aesthtics. For layouts, I'll think of different arrangements that seem like they'd play good, like for example a certain layout for a main/natural/third setup, thinking back on well established maps as well.

On January 05 2012 07:59 IronManSC wrote:
• How do you apply your concept to your map?

As for aesthetics, I usually have to come up with the appropriate textures beforehand, as I'm just now getting into mixing textures in a way that looks good, but most of it is just running with whatever starts working, upon experimentation of course. As for the layout, the bounds help to influence its status as a rush, medium, or macro map, as well as the condensedness of the pathways. However, I've found that compressing the pathways, in order to make a "larger" map with smaller bounds, can make tower placement tricky. Once pathways achieve a certain arrangement, a tower that reveals that area can give a lot more information than usual. Especially if an expansion sits there.

On January 05 2012 07:59 IronManSC wrote:
• In what ways does your concept impact the aesthetics and layout?

Well, what can I say? A concept, and its underlying inspiration, will drive me to make the map in the first place, and guide my efforts in every aspect until I reach the last place. If I don't have the concept in the front of my mind the entire time, I lose interest in the progress of the map. My inspiration for a map is everything, it's where the passion for my maps is rooted. I feel that if I can successfully render my initial vision, I've succeeded with the map. I take the lessons to be learnt from the layout, and apply it to my future layouts, and sort of move on to my next project.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
RumbleBadger
Profile Joined July 2011
322 Posts
January 05 2012 01:17 GMT
#4
On January 05 2012 09:18 MisfortuneS Ghost wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
Well, I've still got a ways to go, so I don't know how insightful my answers can be, but I feel like I've made a good deal of progress so far, and so a newer mapper might have something to gain from what I say. Here goes.

On January 05 2012 07:59 IronManSC wrote:
• What is your definition of a map concept?

For me, a map concept can be split into two halves, being the obvious 2 aspects, layout and aesthetics. I find that regardless of aesthetic work, a layout can have a certain feel to it, almost like a soul. If made correctly, the areas of a map will end up feeling like the different rooms in a house, with a different reason for a player to want to go to each and every section. The aesthetics take this feeling, and extend it, so that it may be fully expressed as intended. I usually take a separate inspiration for each, and focus my efforts on each one as I do them. Almost sort of kinda obvious, really.

On January 05 2012 07:59 IronManSC wrote:
• How do you come up with a concept?

Oh, I just finished explaining this. Crap. But yeah, inspiration will come from a few different places, from scenes around me, scenes in pictures, scenes in movies, even scenes in other maps, but those are just for the aesthtics. For layouts, I'll think of different arrangements that seem like they'd play good, like for example a certain layout for a main/natural/third setup, thinking back on well established maps as well.

On January 05 2012 07:59 IronManSC wrote:
• How do you apply your concept to your map?

As for aesthetics, I usually have to come up with the appropriate textures beforehand, as I'm just now getting into mixing textures in a way that looks good, but most of it is just running with whatever starts working, upon experimentation of course. As for the layout, the bounds help to influence its status as a rush, medium, or macro map, as well as the condensedness of the pathways. However, I've found that compressing the pathways, in order to make a "larger" map with smaller bounds, can make tower placement tricky. Once pathways achieve a certain arrangement, a tower that reveals that area can give a lot more information than usual. Especially if an expansion sits there.

On January 05 2012 07:59 IronManSC wrote:
• In what ways does your concept impact the aesthetics and layout?

Well, what can I say? A concept, and its underlying inspiration, will drive me to make the map in the first place, and guide my efforts in every aspect until I reach the last place. If I don't have the concept in the front of my mind the entire time, I lose interest in the progress of the map. My inspiration for a map is everything, it's where the passion for my maps is rooted. I feel that if I can successfully render my initial vision, I've succeeded with the map. I take the lessons to be learnt from the layout, and apply it to my future layouts, and sort of move on to my next project.

Well, I was thinking about posting my ideas, and then you said it better than I ever could. Honestly, a great post, and in general your thoughts align fairly closely with mine. I love all of your analogies, they make everything so easy to understand. Like the house one especially.
Games before dames.
fenix404
Profile Joined May 2011
United States305 Posts
January 05 2012 11:02 GMT
#5
just a fan stopping by, ironman.

you guys are awesome.

i spent my entire 15 yr old summer with the original campaign editor. i don't think i will get into the galaxy editor much... it would consume my life.

keep up the good work, perhaps one day i will learn more of this new editor... it is amazing...
"think for yourself, question authority"
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
January 05 2012 17:06 GMT
#6
• What is your definition of a map concept?

A concept to me is the preface for making changes to a map. The best way to develop a long-standing map that has unique gameplay is to figure out what strategies you want it to encourage. For example, air play, static defense, harassment, and abusing high-ground are all concepts you can use. From there, adjusting the map to match it's concept can make it more fun and different from other maps.

• How do you come up with a concept?

I will pick a certain play-style that I want to encourage based on how I feel the current meta-game is. Like on Korhal Compound, I wanted to encourage using smaller armies and static defense/buildings. That's why a lot of the expansions have small entrances but are spread out (also so armies aren't as effective as drops). Additionally the center isn't great for engaging because of the highground around it, so players are encouraged to either split up their army or move around the edges of the map which is slower.

• How do you apply your concept to your map?

Figure out what it is that you're doing and then make the appropriate changes to your map.

• In what ways does your concept impact the aesthetics and layout?

Concept, imo, has nothing to do with aesthetics. If two maps are identical, whichever has better aesthetics wins. That's all there is to aesthetics to me, because eventually you can't rely on aesthetics to make a popular map (see: BelShir beach balance failure, Dual Sight balance failure, etc.). And as I explained earlier, the layout is directly based on the concept.
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-05 19:11:49
January 05 2012 19:09 GMT
#7
--- Nuked ---
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-05 21:04:59
January 05 2012 20:59 GMT
#8
--- Nuked ---
lefix
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany1082 Posts
January 06 2012 16:10 GMT
#9
To be clear, a map's concept is not how it actually plays out (game flow); a map's concept is how you meant for it to play out.


For me it is actually quite the opposite. When I start a new map, I have no idea what layout is going to look like or what I want it to play out. I just start building terrain somewhere, add more terrain around it, try to connect it in an interesting way, extend or crop map borders if neccessary. It is this process where alot of ideas are starting to pop up in my head. Similar to a brainstorming process.
As the map is slowly taking shape, I start to think about how it will play out. Where do you position your army? What attack paths are viable? And for defence? How do certain terrain features affect the gameplay? Then i continue tweaking problem areas until I am statisfied with the "concept"
Map of the Month | The Planetary Workshop | SC2Melee.net
a176
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada6688 Posts
January 06 2012 16:14 GMT
#10
On January 07 2012 01:10 lefix wrote:
Show nested quote +
To be clear, a map's concept is not how it actually plays out (game flow); a map's concept is how you meant for it to play out.


For me it is actually quite the opposite. When I start a new map, I have no idea what layout is going to look like or what I want it to play out. I just start building terrain somewhere, add more terrain around it, try to connect it in an interesting way, extend or crop map borders if neccessary. It is this process where alot of ideas are starting to pop up in my head. Similar to a brainstorming process.
As the map is slowly taking shape, I start to think about how it will play out. Where do you position your army? What attack paths are viable? And for defence? How do certain terrain features affect the gameplay? Then i continue tweaking problem areas until I am statisfied with the "concept"


i guess we all have this idea of 'how it will play out', but have different approaches to achieve the end result. i start from the beginning with the concept, rather than your way; this way, most importantly i think, makes sure i dont end up designing a map very similar to someone else's. but you have alot of inherent originality and your maps have been great so far so i dont really think its a problem for you
starleague forever
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
January 06 2012 16:23 GMT
#11
--- Nuked ---
neobowman
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada3324 Posts
January 06 2012 18:27 GMT
#12
• What is your definition of a map concept?
A general layout that I build a map around
• How do you come up with a concept?
I look at BW maps
• How do you apply your concept to your map?
Uhhh... I just put it in there
• In what ways does your concept impact the aesthetics and layout?
It IS my layout, doesn't affect the aesthetics whatsoever.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
20:00
WardiTV Mondays #107
IntoTheiNu 1221
WardiTV531
OGKoka 153
Liquipedia
Afreeca Starleague
19:00
Ro4 Match 1
Afreeca ASL 9148
StarCastTV_EN250
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko355
OGKoka 153
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 12655
Bisu 4473
FanTaSy 3340
Shuttle 1909
Jaedong 1346
actioN 822
BeSt 810
EffOrt 592
Horang2 537
Leta 246
[ Show more ]
Zeus 224
Larva 185
Dewaltoss 125
Mind 108
Barracks 105
Mong 72
Sexy 60
JYJ 59
scan(afreeca) 58
sorry 56
Sea.KH 49
ToSsGirL 47
soO 47
Killer 37
Shinee 37
Bale 34
sSak 30
Free 29
Aegong 20
HiyA 16
zelot 13
yabsab 10
Sacsri 9
Mini 1
Snow 1
Dota 2
Gorgc2933
Dendi674
XaKoH 330
qojqva2
Counter-Strike
x6flipin272
Other Games
singsing2493
olofmeister1300
B2W.Neo609
crisheroes352
Pyrionflax212
Livibee158
XBOCT145
hiko118
dupreeh112
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick585
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 128
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream32
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1906
Other Games
• WagamamaTV176
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
3h 48m
Replay Cast
10h 48m
Afreeca Starleague
21h 48m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
22h 48m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 11h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.