• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:19
CEST 15:19
KST 22:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8957 users

[G] wrl's Tutorials for New Melee Mappers!

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
wrl
Profile Joined April 2011
United States209 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-02 05:22:51
September 27 2011 23:05 GMT
#1
Hello everyone!

In an effort to distract myself from actually making maps, I've decided to start doing a series of mapping tutorials aimed at newer map makers who may have a great idea for a map, but don't have the knowledge or skills to develop it.

I feel like videos are the best way for people to learn the editor, as written guides are easy to get lost in without being able to see each individual step.

Each tutorial will be very short and focused (between 5 and 10 minutes), covering only one small aspect of the editor so that viewers can easily find the information they are looking for.

Apologies in advance for the production quality, it will improve as I figure out the proper settings and programs to use and MacBook Pro microphones have a tendency to pick up a lot of background noise.

The first installment:

Texture Applied Groups!
Customizing the textures of units and doodads to match the theme of your map!




Custom Texture Assets
How to export textures from the SC2 editor, edit them in photoshop, and reimport them to your custom map.

My particular results in this tutorial aren't great, but I show a few good examples at the end of what can be done.

Part 1:


Part 2:
It's funny; I dream a lot, but I'm not a very good sleeper.
totalpigeon
Profile Joined September 2010
United Kingdom162 Posts
September 27 2011 23:43 GMT
#2
I wondered why my protoss decals didn't have the hexagon shape! I've been using Ulnar exclusively up until now, I thought maybe it was a custom doodad they had on Tal'Darim... so weird that they don't just include all the variations on every map.
Still, a bit of a strange first video for this series, I don't think newbies mappers usually start by deciding that they need to retexture doodads and arrange custom texture sets. By that point,you've usually more or less put the map together and are now just working on prettying it up.
But still, thanks for the tip, I personally did not know of the existence of this feature, and I know that the future ones are going to be relevant to me so looking forward to the seeing the next ones ^^
a176
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada6688 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-28 01:37:53
September 28 2011 01:30 GMT
#3
On September 28 2011 08:43 totalpigeon wrote:
I wondered why my protoss decals didn't have the hexagon shape! I've been using Ulnar exclusively up until now, I thought maybe it was a custom doodad they had on Tal'Darim... so weird that they don't just include all the variations on every map.
Still, a bit of a strange first video for this series, I don't think newbies mappers usually start by deciding that they need to retexture doodads and arrange custom texture sets. By that point,you've usually more or less put the map together and are now just working on prettying it up.
But still, thanks for the tip, I personally did not know of the existence of this feature, and I know that the future ones are going to be relevant to me so looking forward to the seeing the next ones ^^


the hexagon is part of the default set .. should be available on every tileset? it is for me!

at first I thought the textures automatically changed with tileset, but I've never seen the ulnar decals ... so good

thanks wrl
starleague forever
wrl
Profile Joined April 2011
United States209 Posts
September 28 2011 01:33 GMT
#4
Ya I wanted to cover something I hadn't seen covered in other tutorials. I'll cover some more basic stuff in the future. Eventually it will all add up to something for mappers of all levels. Glad it helped though!

I'd love for someone with a bit more time and ambition than me to go through and catalog all of the texture applied groups for various doodads.

Sometimes you'll run in to something interesting you didn't think of before (such as the Xel'Naga version of the Protoss Decals)
It's funny; I dream a lot, but I'm not a very good sleeper.
Gl!tch
Profile Joined December 2010
United States573 Posts
September 28 2011 01:48 GMT
#5
This is cool, i've achieved a similar affect (with the decal's at least) just changing the specific doodad's colour. (only works with green realy).

This is far better :D
“I mean, they say you die twice. One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time.” ― Banksy
turtles
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia360 Posts
September 28 2011 03:27 GMT
#6
Awesome. That will certainly make a map feel like it fits together well instead of a few random mismatched doodads on a mismatched terrain
wrl
Profile Joined April 2011
United States209 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-02 00:32:45
February 02 2012 00:32 GMT
#7
Update:

New video! Custom Texture Assets and using photoshop to edit terrain textures.

Also; better sound quality.


(the video may still be processing, give it a few minutes)
It's funny; I dream a lot, but I'm not a very good sleeper.
eTcetRa
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia822 Posts
February 02 2012 04:18 GMT
#8
Second video was removed due to being too long. Apparently
Retired Mapmaker™
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25562 Posts
February 02 2012 04:19 GMT
#9
I've had this problem as well. You want to break it into two <15 minute length videos.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
wrl
Profile Joined April 2011
United States209 Posts
February 02 2012 04:32 GMT
#10
Ya I'm having issues with cutting it in half. It either loses sync or crashes the program(s) I try using to cut it up.

:| Hopefully I'll figure it out soon.
It's funny; I dream a lot, but I'm not a very good sleeper.
wrl
Profile Joined April 2011
United States209 Posts
February 02 2012 05:27 GMT
#11
Okay. Fixed the videos for Tutorial 2. The second part is way out of sync, live and learn I won't be using xsplit to record locally again.
It's funny; I dream a lot, but I'm not a very good sleeper.
lefix
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany1082 Posts
February 02 2012 10:22 GMT
#12
just a little heads up: you don't need an mpq editor to change textures, you can actually find all texture files in the data editor and rightclick export them
Map of the Month | The Planetary Workshop | SC2Melee.net
wrl
Profile Joined April 2011
United States209 Posts
February 02 2012 14:55 GMT
#13
On February 02 2012 19:22 lefix wrote:
just a little heads up: you don't need an mpq editor to change textures, you can actually find all texture files in the data editor and rightclick export them


Maybe this is only in my case, but this doesn't work for me. The files that get exported are always messed up.
It's funny; I dream a lot, but I'm not a very good sleeper.
ArcticRaven
Profile Joined August 2011
France1406 Posts
February 03 2012 22:26 GMT
#14
Same for me here. They must be corrupted in some way by the export.

Otherwise, thanks a lot, wrl !

Ulnar decals = protoss decals + added awesomeness. It's gonna be fun
[Govie] Wierd shit, on a 6 game AP winning streak with KOTL in the trench. I searched gandalf quotes and spammed them all game long, trenchwarfare247, whateva it takes!
lefix
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany1082 Posts
February 03 2012 23:12 GMT
#15
hmm, they shouldn't be.
they may show up weird in the preview pic, but that only because the specular map is stored in the alpha channel
Map of the Month | The Planetary Workshop | SC2Melee.net
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
IntoTheiNu 278
ComeBackTV 146
SteadfastSC127
Rex110
LiquipediaDiscussion
Kung Fu Cup
11:00
2026 Week 25
CosmosSc2 39
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech146
SteadfastSC 127
Rex 110
CosmosSc2 39
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 52195
Hyuk 1559
firebathero 1129
Jaedong 987
Soma 467
Horang2 405
Soulkey 393
EffOrt 388
BeSt 388
Mini 363
[ Show more ]
Stork 339
actioN 316
Last 307
Light 281
Zeus 252
ggaemo 252
Larva 222
910 157
Rush 147
Snow 136
ZerO 114
Killer 79
Mind 72
Pusan 69
Shine 53
Creator 47
hero 41
Free 37
Sharp 37
Shinee 34
Yoon 33
Bale 26
JYJ 25
ToSsGirL 23
sorry 19
Terrorterran 15
Noble 14
yabsab 13
HiyA 13
Sacsri 8
Icarus 7
Rock 5
Dota 2
Gorgc10324
Dendi764
Counter-Strike
markeloff126
edward17
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1712
crisheroes1512
Other Games
gofns42781
singsing2057
olofmeister1347
B2W.Neo767
hiko412
byalli321
XBOCT297
Pyrionflax259
DeMusliM220
Mew2King89
ArmadaUGS88
Liquid`VortiX83
QueenE40
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1727
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream128
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH360
• StrangeGG 43
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1498
• Nemesis646
Other Games
• WagamamaTV187
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
20h 42m
OSC
23h 42m
Stellar Fest
23h 42m
OSC
1d 10h
Stellar Fest
1d 23h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.