• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:07
CEST 14:07
KST 21:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)76Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8482 users

[M](2) Montane

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Namrufus
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States396 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-30 22:39:25
September 20 2011 03:18 GMT
#1
MONTANE 1.1

[image loading]

Spore seeds predating the Zerg invasion have been found frozen in the soil of these polar mountains. The biochemical markers of these spores bear the genetic signature of a Zerg subtype thought extinct.

This is the second of my maps that I have posted here. This map is supposed to be "blizzard Style" for MOTM 10.

+ Show Spoiler [overview] +

[image loading]
Big Version

+ Show Spoiler [analyzer summary] +

[image loading]

+ Show Spoiler [old versions] +

v1.0
[image loading]

+ Show Spoiler [natural walloff] +

[image loading]

+ Show Spoiler [beauty shots] +

[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]


STATS:
dimensions: 176x94
main2main: 172
nat2nat: 115

spawns: 2
bases: 10 blue, 2 gold
rocks: 8
xwt: 1

FEATURES:

blizzard style
+ Show Spoiler +
only one tileset (Haven) and mostly consistent doodads
8min 2gas blue expands and 6min 2gas gold expands
rocks blocking 3rd
exposed golds near the middle of the map
watchtower right in the middle of the map

though the 3rd is blocked by rocks, it is possible that greedy expanders might want to go for the corner bases first as they are very protected until the other rocks are destroyed

And the map has falling snow!!!!!!!

CONCERNS:

Probably a lot of other things, I am not an expert player or mapper.

FEEDBACK AND COMMENTS

please post your feedback, comments and suggestions so that I can improve this map!

If you want to try it out, the map is published under the name "Montane" on the NA server.
This is it... the alpaca lips.
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
September 20 2011 03:48 GMT
#2
I feel like i'm looking at Bizzaro Daybreak here o_O
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
Inside.Out
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada569 Posts
September 20 2011 07:06 GMT
#3
fucking rocks at the third
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
September 20 2011 13:14 GMT
#4
On September 20 2011 16:06 EcstatiC wrote:
fucking rocks at the third


You do know this is meant for motm 10 which is "blizzard style"? Regardless, thanks for the helpful comment. ^_^

I really like the looks of this map. I'm going to play some games on it before I give any feedback, except to mention that I think the tower in the middle is just fine. Otherwise there would be little incentive to try and control that center vertical lane.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Shorty90
Profile Joined July 2011
Germany154 Posts
September 20 2011 13:38 GMT
#5
As far as I can tell, this map rocks (pun maybe intended^^).
Can you please post high res. overview pictures and analyzer distances? It's a little hard to look at details.
I can't believe I ate the whole thing.
Samro225am
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany982 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-20 14:17:10
September 20 2011 14:15 GMT
#6
Main: good size and shape. I think the forward looking cliff is intersting. Did you put two siegetanks up there to check their range? at the edge towards the third is a shape the same for two little noses. you might want to change one.

Natural: it looks open and wall ins around the nexus leave you with extremly little space. terran might be better off with siegetanks and the cliffs above. Would be nice if you could some images about walls/block options. Normally you do not want to dictate the player to do a FE, wall, etc.

Highround:
seems to be of big importance for both entries into the nat and for both expansion directions.i think it should be shaped or positioned differently to do two things: get both side expansions closer to allow expansion in both directions. you then might even feel comfortable to remove all rocks.

Towerplacement: it is fine, but the space is a bit narrow around it. also

Paths: i like what you did with lots of alternatives, but the central valley could be a bit shorter, so that you are able to flank and shift left to right easier.

question: what is the exact n2n? it should not be that diofferent from the m2m, so i do not understand your comment.

Suggestion: in general a less wider map with more economic use of open space would result in a better map.with some copy paste you can make a solid into a really good map imo. oh, and rocks?
Namrufus
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States396 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-21 02:09:59
September 20 2011 17:24 GMT
#7
Thanks for the feedback!

fucking rocks at the third

oh, and rocks?

Even though the close third is blocked by rocks, greedy expanders are supposed to be able to expand into the corner expansion where they wil be protected by the diagonal rocks for a while. more conservative expanders will have to wait to destroy the rocks on the closer third. (and what kind of blizz map doesn't have a hard to take third? ).

I think the forward looking cliff is intersting. Did you put two siegetanks up there to check their range?

Thinking of it, siegetanks and other ranged units might be a little too strong at that point, I might change this in the future.

question: what is the exact n2n? it should not be that diofferent from the m2m, so i do not understand your comment.

main2main = 171
nat2nat = 115

kinda a large difference, mostly due to the fact that the natural is in front of the main instead of at the side (the main to nat distance actually is pretty short)

new pictures for OP coming soon. now uploaded

edit: grammer
This is it... the alpaca lips.
Alpino
Profile Joined June 2011
Brazil4390 Posts
September 20 2011 17:53 GMT
#8
Looks like daybreak.
20/11/2015 - never forget EE's Ember
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
September 23 2011 01:58 GMT
#9
So! First things first: in game, that fog is THICK. It makes it tough to see at times, along with the somewhat darker lighting. It's really cool. I think it might be too distracting for competitive play, but if you toned it down a hair, or brightened the lightning a little, it'd be alright.

Apart from that, I didn't see anything really wrong in my few games. One thing I noticed before that was present in the games as well... the lefthand 3rd is a little bit close to the gold across from it. It makes it so those bases are awkward in the late game. I think you should tuck that lowground base further back, nearly up against the mineral line of the nat.

Random thoughts: Walling off pvz is defintely possible for an FE, but very wonky. It's kind of cool. ^^ The ramp up from the 3rd with the rocks.... is scary. But the open space at the bottom gives you enough room to let them come down before you engage, which is good. Also you can meet them at the top if you're watching the map, and I like that you can control 3 bases on 2 chokes with an army ready to pivot, IF you have map control. The rocks near the tower aren't needed I don't think. I'd prefer if they were on either side of it to make it really choky but you can open it up, so they matter more throughout the game. Aesthetically, I would try to include some more textures that resemble snow or ice. If this is for motm10 then I understand and it's okay. The atmosphere is more stormy than icy, but it's still cool. The abundance of rock textures in broad swaths at the moment gives a sense of mountainous terrain in a weird "illustrated" way because that texture style is at odds with how they are normally used. The rush distance is good, and distance between bases, except the gold bases across from the optional 3rd.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Namrufus
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States396 Posts
September 23 2011 03:40 GMT
#10
Thanks for the Feedback! I really appreciate it.


in game, that fog is THICK. It makes it tough to see at times, along with the somewhat darker lighting. It's really cool. I think it might be too distracting for competitive play, but if you toned it down a hair, or brightened the lightning a little, it'd be alright.

do you mean the doodad clouds or the graphical blue fog? The weather doodads shouldn't be visible on low graphics so it might be ok. I'll probably bump up the lighting a bit more or get rid of some of the graphical fog, it is abit dark. I would be really sad if I had to get rid of the doodad clouds and snow tho (too bad you can't set alpha values for doodads)


One thing I noticed before that was present in the games as well... the lefthand 3rd is a little bit close to the gold across from it. It makes it so those bases are awkward in the late game. I think you should tuck that lowground base further back, nearly up against the mineral line of the nat.

I can see what you mean, I'm going to try to move the geometry of that area around to improve this.


The rocks near the tower aren't needed I don't think. I'd prefer if they were on either side of it to make it really choky but you can open it up, so they matter more throughout the game

I actually had them exactly like this right up until a few seconds before I published the map, I changed it because I thought it would make the middle a little too chokey, I'm probably going to widen the middle path just a little though, so I almost definantly will take your suggestion.

did you notice if the highground arm on the main seemed to be abusable or overpowered for certain units (siege tanks)?

map update coming soonish, maybe.
This is it... the alpaca lips.
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
September 23 2011 17:52 GMT
#11
The most distracting thing was the doodad fog above the ground because you had to see through it to see anything. Once you get used to it it's okay but I think it's off-putting at first. Play around with it. I use low settings except for high on effects, which is why I can still see the doodad fog and atmospheric fog but the lighting is low (crappy).

The highground arm in the main was pretty cool I thought. Since it's usually hard to break into a terran base anyway, I wouldn't worry about tanks up there too much. Generally the opponent wins the game with an economic or tech lead, not by crashing into tanks at the main/nat/sort-of-covers-the-3rd. One thing about it that's cool is that you can use it for harassment and hiding if they don't have vision there. I put a pylon there before expanding to get a jumpstart on walling off, which is neat.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Namrufus
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States396 Posts
September 30 2011 05:36 GMT
#12
Map Update: v1.1

Central Path widened slightly
Corner bases pushed back way from golds, added side rocked entrance
cloud doodads now much more localized
increased lighting
added more doodads
improved some texturing

see OP for new pictures

I'm still looking to improve the on the layout, so please post any comments, feedback, or suggestions!

and


The most distracting thing was the doodad fog above the ground because you had to see through it to see anything. Once you get used to it it's okay but I think it's off-putting at first. Play around with it. I use low settings except for high on effects, which is why I can still see the doodad fog and atmospheric fog but the lighting is low (crappy).


ok, yeah, the doodads are really distracting with those settings, and low shaders messes up the falling snow as well.After trying a couple of things I have removed most of the cloud doodads and increased the lighting a bit.
This is it... the alpaca lips.
The_Templar
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
your Country52798 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-30 12:41:49
September 30 2011 12:41 GMT
#13
Everyone keeps making better maps than me
+ Show Spoiler +
It's ok though
ModeratorI am still alive, somehow
TL+ Member
TwistedFate
Profile Joined September 2011
United Kingdom9 Posts
September 30 2011 23:29 GMT
#14
I like the layout of this map, Im not sure about the look around the edges but thats probably not on your mind at the moment

If your worried about the mains not being harassable why don't you just increase the map bounds slightly each direction?
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 811
RotterdaM304
SteadfastSC142
TKL 135
Rex83
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 304
ByuN 223
SteadfastSC 142
TKL 135
Rex 83
Codebar 46
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 31719
Shuttle 1634
Mong 828
Bisu 713
Jaedong 672
Horang2 502
Soulkey 297
actioN 266
Stork 243
Mini 238
[ Show more ]
firebathero 235
Soma 189
BeSt 188
Larva 171
EffOrt 135
Zeus 130
Last 125
Rush 119
Snow 101
ZerO 96
Mind 76
910 74
Free 73
Hyun 72
Pusan 67
Sexy 61
PianO 58
Sharp 45
hero 44
Shine 43
Shinee 32
Bale 25
sorry 22
JYJ 21
HiyA 21
ToSsGirL 19
ZergMaN 18
Aegong 17
Hm[arnc] 15
yabsab 15
scan(afreeca) 12
Noble 9
Sacsri 8
Terrorterran 1
Dota 2
Dendi646
canceldota85
Gorgc85
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1267
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King235
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes426
Other Games
gofns63621
singsing2191
Lowko271
B2W.Neo259
DeMusliM227
Pyrionflax187
Livibee145
Trikslyr28
QueenE23
hiko13
ZerO(Twitch)11
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 364
Other Games
BasetradeTV187
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream35
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV524
League of Legends
• Jankos1303
Other Games
• Shiphtur575
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
3h 53m
The PondCast
21h 53m
INu's Battles
22h 53m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 10h
Replay Cast
1d 10h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.