• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:56
CEST 08:56
KST 15:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6720 users

[M] (4) Skov

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Ferisii
Profile Joined February 2011
Denmark199 Posts
August 05 2011 21:30 GMT
#1
[image loading]
"Generic map comment here!"
version 0.3 EU

Skov is my first four player map with three kinds of distances to the enemy place depending on where you spawn. (1v1) Else I can say I had great enjoyment creating this map, and as I hope, you'll have aswell when playing this map.

Map details:
Skov is a 160x162 playable map.
2 watch towers cover the open middle part of the map
Map contains 12 naturals (incl. main), zero gold expansions.
Many trees.

Update log:
~03
Fixed various cliff issues
added/fixed some detail
~0.2
Fixed placement issues
added/fixed some detail
~0.1
Map release

Screenshots
+ Show Spoiler +
Overview:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Southern base + nearby naturals:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]

Detail shots!
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]


Analyzer data
+ Show Spoiler +
Summary
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Distances
Note! Cliff walker unit distances, main to main are incorrect!
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]


Game on
Author of Cactus Valley RE - My latest map: Para Bellum http://goo.gl/iV90wG
FoxyMayhem
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
624 Posts
August 05 2011 21:59 GMT
#2
I like it. Nice. I think it might work better with the middle-ish 10 and 5 o-clock bases being on tier 2, though, otherwise it appears quite difficult to take that as your third. What do you think?
TheMody
Profile Joined July 2011
3 Posts
August 05 2011 23:27 GMT
#3
I realy lik the Map design it looks great. I would suggest that the middle expansions are gold instead of normal mineral patches.
StateSC2
Profile Joined September 2010
Korea (South)621 Posts
August 05 2011 23:38 GMT
#4
Really great map! Just be sure to remove close air (if you haven't already) and add some more detail to the textures before you release it.

Some other suggestions: Maybe have the 10/5 expansions on t3 (highground), and the central 2/8 expansions on t1 (lowground) as golds. I think it would make more entertaining gameplay.
Fireblast!: "This guy is pointless and wonderful"
Fearlezz
Profile Joined April 2010
Croatia176 Posts
August 06 2011 02:23 GMT
#5
On August 06 2011 08:38 State wrote:
Really great map! Just be sure to remove close air (if you haven't already) and add some more detail to the textures before you release it.

Why should close air be removed? I don't get it. Because the close air nat-to-nat distance is even longer than if you spawn on the same half.

Tbh I can't wait for when mappers figure out how to make maps so no position has to be disabled, but lobbying to disable seemingly random spawns that you don't like at the first sight should be definitively ignored imo.
LawrenceVern
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada37 Posts
August 06 2011 02:34 GMT
#6
it seems to me this is a better version of abyssal caverns. They're VERY similar. Also, I love the texturing and the details you put into the side. I know it must've took you forever. The only thing that I think could be improved on is the large amount of chokes. Lategame FFs from protoss will be very powerful.
TheAmazombie
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States3714 Posts
August 06 2011 02:42 GMT
#7
On August 06 2011 11:34 LawrenceVern wrote:
it seems to me this is a better version of abyssal caverns. They're VERY similar. Also, I love the texturing and the details you put into the side. I know it must've took you forever. The only thing that I think could be improved on is the large amount of chokes. Lategame FFs from protoss will be very powerful.


This. Overall, great detail and textures. I like the design quite a bit, but the large amount of choke points could be an issue.
We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery, we need humanity. More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost. -Charlie Chaplin
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-06 03:07:21
August 06 2011 03:06 GMT
#8
You may need to redesign the center areas to be less friendly to lategame protoss + forcefield, as mentioned above.

This is a really nice design except for the one fault which is so hard to deal with in reflection-symmetric 4player maps: the nat to nat distance in adjacent spawns is far too close. In this case it's actually in either adjacent direction. TvZ will be unfair, if the last year of map adjustments is any indication.

I don't know if there's a way to preserve the core of the layout and fix this. I'm sure it'll give some fun games anyway.

The nat to nat distances should be one of your top considerations in a design like this. I see you noted the variable distances for the 3 spawn setups, so I don't really need to tell you this. I suppose you may have a different opinion about minimum rush distance, which is okay, but you'll run into a lot of opposition, not least from players.

I don't usually suggest spawn limitations because I would prefer that be a holistic intention from the start of a design, but... I have to say this would be a fun "corners only" map.

My suggestion to adjust for more space would be to make the ramps facing middle from the XWT about twice as wide.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Ferisii
Profile Joined February 2011
Denmark199 Posts
August 06 2011 21:07 GMT
#9
Oh boy, lots of feedback... Here we go!

@FoxyMayhem
What can I say? I like experimenting with my maps. On a serious note, why I made those naturals easy to access was that, incase players spawned far away from eachother, I would have their prefered 3rd less easy to defend.

@TheMody
I played around with the idea to make the 2 middle naturals into gold bases, but decided in the end not to, cause of issues it might could have if players spawned close. Say now one player manage to lock down one gold, then the other player had to go a long way around to acquire one aswell.

@State
As of now, I have no plans to relocate the main bases for removing the close air position.
What do you exactly mean with adding more detail to textures (and where? :p). It's somewhat tricky to make grassy textures more detailed. Regarding the naturals, check above answer.

@LawrenceVern
Hah, didn't know that my map would resemble Abyssal Caverns that much. :D
Regarding chokes, I presume we're talking about the ramps. I thought of that yes, but I'm thinking that the sizes of the ramps, including how easy it is to walk around a locked ramp, would make up for it.

@EatThePath
What exactly is this imbalance regarding the adjacent naturals? About ramps, I'm thinking they're huge enough as of now, but could change.

Thank you all for leaving your feedback for my map!
Author of Cactus Valley RE - My latest map: Para Bellum http://goo.gl/iV90wG
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 171
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1302
910 1091
ggaemo 603
Hyuk 484
actioN 350
Mong 179
Yoon 166
Shuttle 98
Dewaltoss 72
Hm[arnc] 43
[ Show more ]
soO 31
Bale 25
ZergMaN 21
yabsab 21
Noble 16
Icarus 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm182
Fuzer 2
League of Legends
JimRising 604
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor771
Other Games
summit1g9641
ceh9354
Happy238
PiGStarcraft218
Mew2King120
ArmadaUGS40
trigger6
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream126
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 48
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2344
League of Legends
• Rush1210
• Stunt447
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
6h 5m
OSC
15h 5m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 3h
Online Event
1d 4h
FEL
1d 9h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 10h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 12h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.