Micro Match is a new map that I'm currently working on which is primarily focused on the micro management of units. The main premise of the game is simple, players are paired against eachother in a variety of arenas, and given an assortment of units that they must kill eachother with. There are no reinforcements or defensive structures available, which means the only tools available to you are your units, your micro and your strategy.
This makes for a very intense, competitive type of play that is both very enjoyable and rewarding. But as well as being fun, it can also help your micro ability in more standard StarCraft 2 melee games. To encourage this, many of the unit arrangements in these battles will be taken from real scenarios in professional StarCraft 2 play, and the arenas in the map will be strongly influenced by the map pools on the ladder and in various tournaments. The intention is to create an environment that is both enjoyable and resourceful for players, so that you can get the most you can out of the experience.
On top of this, when the map is in its final stages it will feature a full fledged ELO ranking system with league rankings just like the StarCraft 2 ladder. You will be able to look back at all your match statistics and achievements, and compare them with your friends. There will also be rewards for various achievements and an active leaderboard that will be updated with each match.
My aim is to create the most comprehensive and actively updated Micro Map on the battle.net servers, and hopefully with the feedback, participation and support of TL and the SC2 scene this can be possible. Below is an overview of the various aspects of the map, as well as an estimate for when it will be 'complete' (paraphrased because it will always be improving) including a progress bar.
Servers: Currrently aiming for SEA, NA & EU
- Up to 8 players per game with 6 observers that can step in if anyone leaves
- Race selection at the start of the game and race change allowed between matches
- Brief vision of enemy units at the start of the match, then fog of war is enabled. Some arenas include LoS blockers as per normal melee maps
- Matches will initially be in Bo3 Round robin tournament format
- After all players have versed eachother the top 4 scoring players will play single elimination for 1st and 2nd place
- Expected 270 battles, 45 per matchup (e.g.: TvZ, PvP) divided into 15 per arena size (Small, Med or Large)
- ELO-style ranking system updated live with each match
- Variety of leagues similar to the StarCraft 2 ladder
- Tracking of wins and losses, total, between races, between arenas and for each battle
- Tracking of mAPM (micro Actions Per Minute)
- Ability to observe other matches either as observer or as player after yours is finished
- User portraits, reward portraits for certain achievements
- Bonus ‘fun matches’ that don’t count towards your ELO and are a little crazy.
To be added, feel free to message me with battles you would like to see in the map for consideration.
These are estimations as to how far the map is complete based on what is left to do
Core battle setup: 80%
Arenas: 7/12, 58%
Battles: 11/270, 4%
Ranking System: 0%
Profile/Statistics View: 0%
Art direction 20%
The first playable alpha version can be expected in about 2 weeks, though this may be subject to change depending on the situation.
Any feedback and/or constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. If you would like to be a part of this project - even just as a tester - please let me know .