• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:13
CEST 14:13
KST 21:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup6StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10103 users

Power Rank 01/01/2011 - Page 15

Forum Index > Polls & Liquibet
Post a Reply
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 56 Next
intotheheart
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada33091 Posts
January 07 2011 03:18 GMT
#281
Honestly I just sorta feel that FlaSh might just have gone into a minislump due to his pressure of CARRYING HIS TEAM. Likewise for Dong.
kiss kiss fall in love
Mortality
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States4790 Posts
January 07 2011 03:21 GMT
#282
On January 07 2011 03:50 Severedevil wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2011 01:46 Mortality wrote:
On January 06 2011 07:43 Lightwip wrote:
On January 06 2011 07:38 L0thar wrote:
Yes, protoss are generally in similar deep shit like terrans, but lacking Flash-like persona to make it up.

Erm...Bisu? He won 3 starleagues and he's as dominant as Flash when he is on top. He just has problems with extended slumps.
I don't think you know how dominant Bisu was in 08-09. For a time, he was better than both Flash and JD, just he went into a slump in 2010.
When Flash inevitably goes into a slump, the situation is reversed.


Bisu was never as dominant as Flash has been recently. There was much hype for the possibility of Bisu as 5th bonjwa, but he failed the test. He lost to Mind, then he stopped appearing in finals at all for quite some time.

Flash succeeded. Bisu has never matched Flash's 2010 results or win-rate.

Bisu's results in the Golden Age seemed comparable to Flash in 2010, but Flash carried his run through three Starleague seasons to Bisu's one.

I think Bisu could have held that level of dominance for two seasons had it not been for unmanageable ZvP maps suddenly trashing the individual leagues (Tears of the Moon, Neo Harmony). But three seasons? Probably not.


Blaming Z > P maps for Bisu's demise seems shallow to me.

In terms of accomplishments, I'd regard Bisu's strongest period as during 07, but he was thwarted from making 3 SL titles in a row by Mind in MSL and by Stork in OSL (semifinals).

In terms of record, Bisu's strongest period was around ClubDay MSL. In Incruit OSL (which occurred concurrently), Bisu was knocked out by Stork in the Ro8. The following season, it's true that Zerg players (Savior and Zero) knocked Bisu out of Lost Saga MSL, but in Batoo OSL, he was curb-stomped 3-0 by Fantasy. And the season after that was the infamous Iris win over Bisu in Avalon MSL. In Bacchus 09 OSL (concurrent to Avalon MSL), Bisu was eliminated 1-2 in the group stages by Zero and Go.Go (strangely, Bug Terran has a 3-1 record over Bisu in standard matches, 4-1 in total in televised games).

I do not feel that Z > P maps played anything more than a trivial role in Bisu's demise.

Historically speaking, Terran players and Stork were what held Bisu back from dominance. Bisu's PvT may have seemed absurdly strong during and after ClubDay MSL, but I'd criticize that he faced a lot of weaker TvP players like FBH (lifetime 41% TvP), Hwasin (46% lifetime, was 2-8 in his last 10 TvP matches prior to facing Bisu in ClubDay MSL), and SkyHigh (lifetime 40% TvP).
Even though this Proleague bullshit has been completely bogus, I really, really, really do not see how Khan can lose this. I swear I will kill myself if they do. - nesix before KHAN lost to eNature
Musoeun
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States4324 Posts
January 07 2011 05:01 GMT
#283
On January 06 2011 06:48 Severedevil wrote:
I'm inclined to discount Calm's and JulyZerg's victories as lucky flukes, since Calm's only strong opponents were busy carrying their teams through Proleague Finals SuperAce Matches after Calm was already eliminated...


I'm never inclined to "discount" Starleague victories on any grounds (even July's, while kind of laughable, has at least one impressive moment: he got out of an all Z group). Do we "look at the stats" and discount Jaedong's win over fantasy because the Crown Prince is a terrible TvZer (by S-class standards, anyway)? Of course, not, because we all remember how epic that final was (but I still think that, for instance, Bisu (whom fantasy knocked out) would have beaten Jaedong at that time - there are always qualifications to make). Further, Calm is one of my favorite Zerg players, so I have to defend him. I'm not saying it was the hardest starleague run ever (I have no idea what that would be: possibly Bisu's first MSL, or GGPlay's OSL win, or fOrGG's run?) but Calm:

- beat Sea and ZerO (okay, old terrible ZvZ ZerO) to 2-0 his group
- 2-0 against fOrGG
- 3-0 against EffOrt (back when EvZ was the new hot thing)
- 3-1 against Jaedong (no comment)
- and then, yes, the final farce of the 3-1 drubbing he administered to Kwanro. Calm vs Iris would have been a better match, and would probably have "legitimized" the win to a lot of people (to say nothing of the hypothetical Calm vs Bisu final, which would have been amazing), but I'd guess Calm would still have won - and Kwanro's ZvZ is not that shabby.

Yes, Calm won a lot of his games on mindgames and out-thinking; but he beat 3 of the top ZvZ players in the world (and Sea, fOrGG, and ZerO, hardly scrubs) on that run. Don't knock it!
Don't Shoot the Penguins. | Dance, 성은, dance! | Killer FanKlub | Action sucks. | Storm Terran hwaiting.
luckybeni2
Profile Joined October 2008
Germany1065 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-07 18:21:24
January 07 2011 09:03 GMT
#284
On January 07 2011 14:01 Musoeun wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 06 2011 06:48 Severedevil wrote:
I'm inclined to discount Calm's and JulyZerg's victories as lucky flukes, since Calm's only strong opponents were busy carrying their teams through Proleague Finals SuperAce Matches after Calm was already eliminated...


I'm never inclined to "discount" Starleague victories on any grounds (even July's, while kind of laughable, has at least one impressive moment: he got out of an all Z group). Do we "look at the stats" and discount Jaedong's win over fantasy because the Crown Prince is a terrible TvZer (by S-class standards, anyway)? Of course, not, because we all remember how epic that final was (but I still think that, for instance, Bisu (whom fantasy knocked out) would have beaten Jaedong at that time - there are always qualifications to make). Further, Calm is one of my favorite Zerg players, so I have to defend him. I'm not saying it was the hardest starleague run ever (I have no idea what that would be: possibly Bisu's first MSL, or GGPlay's OSL win, or fOrGG's run?) but Calm:

- beat Sea and ZerO (okay, old terrible ZvZ ZerO) to 2-0 his group
- 2-0 against fOrGG
- 3-0 against EffOrt (back when EvZ was the new hot thing)
- 3-1 against Jaedong (no comment)
- and then, yes, the final farce of the 3-1 drubbing he administered to Kwanro. Calm vs Iris would have been a better match, and would probably have "legitimized" the win to a lot of people (to say nothing of the hypothetical Calm vs Bisu final, which would have been amazing), but I'd guess Calm would still have won - and Kwanro's ZvZ is not that shabby.

Yes, Calm won a lot of his games on mindgames and out-thinking; but he beat 3 of the top ZvZ players in the world (and Sea, fOrGG, and ZerO, hardly scrubs) on that run. Don't knock it!

Some people might give Calm too little credit for his win but one must know that it was the time many consider the worst in BW histoy. Hardest SL win ever? Id say Forgg(oops). Flash, JD Kal all in prime condition.
Edit:Forgg not mind lol
Goragoth
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
New Zealand1065 Posts
January 07 2011 09:28 GMT
#285
On January 07 2011 14:01 Musoeun wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 06 2011 06:48 Severedevil wrote:
I'm inclined to discount Calm's and JulyZerg's victories as lucky flukes, since Calm's only strong opponents were busy carrying their teams through Proleague Finals SuperAce Matches after Calm was already eliminated...


I'm never inclined to "discount" Starleague victories on any grounds (even July's, while kind of laughable, has at least one impressive moment: he got out of an all Z group). Do we "look at the stats" and discount Jaedong's win over fantasy because the Crown Prince is a terrible TvZer (by S-class standards, anyway)? Of course, not, because we all remember how epic that final was (but I still think that, for instance, Bisu (whom fantasy knocked out) would have beaten Jaedong at that time - there are always qualifications to make). Further, Calm is one of my favorite Zerg players, so I have to defend him. I'm not saying it was the hardest starleague run ever (I have no idea what that would be: possibly Bisu's first MSL, or GGPlay's OSL win, or fOrGG's run?) but Calm:

- beat Sea and ZerO (okay, old terrible ZvZ ZerO) to 2-0 his group
- 2-0 against fOrGG
- 3-0 against EffOrt (back when EvZ was the new hot thing)
- 3-1 against Jaedong (no comment)
- and then, yes, the final farce of the 3-1 drubbing he administered to Kwanro. Calm vs Iris would have been a better match, and would probably have "legitimized" the win to a lot of people (to say nothing of the hypothetical Calm vs Bisu final, which would have been amazing), but I'd guess Calm would still have won - and Kwanro's ZvZ is not that shabby.

Yes, Calm won a lot of his games on mindgames and out-thinking; but he beat 3 of the top ZvZ players in the world (and Sea, fOrGG, and ZerO, hardly scrubs) on that run. Don't knock it!

I like Calm a lot and he played well during that time (his most impressive game IMO was the 12-hatch versus 4 pool win he had against Kwanro in the finals) but honestly he had a ton of luck in his run. Just listing the opponents makes it look better than it was:
- fOrGG was already pretty bad at the time, hardly a top level opponent
- EffOrt was strong a ZvZ at the time but clearly over-worked carrying his team through PL playoffs and all three games were 9 pool versus 12 hatch BO wins for Calm.
- Jaedong... People read way to much into this series. For months afterwards people were hailing Calm as ZvZ god for taking down the mighty Jaedong in a Bo5, but seriously, Jaedong looked half dead that game. He had been working himself sick trying to carry his team in the PL playoffs, playing in the MSL and going for his golden mouse in the OSL. He was literally in hospital at some point around this time because he had practised so much that he fell ill. It's impressive that he even managed to win a single game that series.
Creator of LoLTool.
Elroi
Profile Joined August 2009
Sweden5617 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-07 11:12:51
January 07 2011 11:12 GMT
#286
On January 07 2011 18:28 Goragoth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2011 14:01 Musoeun wrote:
On January 06 2011 06:48 Severedevil wrote:
I'm inclined to discount Calm's and JulyZerg's victories as lucky flukes, since Calm's only strong opponents were busy carrying their teams through Proleague Finals SuperAce Matches after Calm was already eliminated...


I'm never inclined to "discount" Starleague victories on any grounds (even July's, while kind of laughable, has at least one impressive moment: he got out of an all Z group). Do we "look at the stats" and discount Jaedong's win over fantasy because the Crown Prince is a terrible TvZer (by S-class standards, anyway)? Of course, not, because we all remember how epic that final was (but I still think that, for instance, Bisu (whom fantasy knocked out) would have beaten Jaedong at that time - there are always qualifications to make). Further, Calm is one of my favorite Zerg players, so I have to defend him. I'm not saying it was the hardest starleague run ever (I have no idea what that would be: possibly Bisu's first MSL, or GGPlay's OSL win, or fOrGG's run?) but Calm:

- beat Sea and ZerO (okay, old terrible ZvZ ZerO) to 2-0 his group
- 2-0 against fOrGG
- 3-0 against EffOrt (back when EvZ was the new hot thing)
- 3-1 against Jaedong (no comment)
- and then, yes, the final farce of the 3-1 drubbing he administered to Kwanro. Calm vs Iris would have been a better match, and would probably have "legitimized" the win to a lot of people (to say nothing of the hypothetical Calm vs Bisu final, which would have been amazing), but I'd guess Calm would still have won - and Kwanro's ZvZ is not that shabby.

Yes, Calm won a lot of his games on mindgames and out-thinking; but he beat 3 of the top ZvZ players in the world (and Sea, fOrGG, and ZerO, hardly scrubs) on that run. Don't knock it!

I like Calm a lot and he played well during that time (his most impressive game IMO was the 12-hatch versus 4 pool win he had against Kwanro in the finals) but honestly he had a ton of luck in his run. Just listing the opponents makes it look better than it was:
- fOrGG was already pretty bad at the time, hardly a top level opponent
- EffOrt was strong a ZvZ at the time but clearly over-worked carrying his team through PL playoffs and all three games were 9 pool versus 12 hatch BO wins for Calm.
- Jaedong... People read way to much into this series. For months afterwards people were hailing Calm as ZvZ god for taking down the mighty Jaedong in a Bo5, but seriously, Jaedong looked half dead that game. He had been working himself sick trying to carry his team in the PL playoffs, playing in the MSL and going for his golden mouse in the OSL. He was literally in hospital at some point around this time because he had practised so much that he fell ill. It's impressive that he even managed to win a single game that series.

It might seem like a bad excuse, but I think the free agency played a big role in it. Jaedong said in the interview IIRC that he only pracized one day or even one night before that series because of it (and Jaedong usually doesn't whine in interviews). Calm was playing amazingly though, no doubt.
"To all eSports fans, I want to be remembered as a progamer who can make something out of nothing, and someone who always does his best. I think that is the right way of living, and I'm always doing my best to follow that." - Jaedong. /watch?v=jfghAzJqAp0
Musoeun
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States4324 Posts
January 07 2011 14:00 GMT
#287
Granted I'm a Calm fan, by imo a lot of people are still overlooking the importance of Calm's wins (bad BW or not): going in - and I don't know how to find the old liquibet threads to prove this. But I know EffOrt and Jaedong were both heavy, heavy favorites going in. We were transitioning from "ZvZ bleh, luck" with Jaedong being the huge anomaly to "Okay, other people are starting to figure this out" (luxury, EffOrt, 815 when he remembered how to play). It was Calm's first big season: and what he proved was that a little strategy could be used even in ZvZ for a win. Strategically, his approach was essentially the same as fantasy used against Jaedong: mix things up, hide units, be "cheesy" - except that Calm won. To me, that was one of the big nails in the coffin of "old" ZvZ where you could look at BOs and win.

(Granted, strategic importance doesn't necessarily mean anything about how hard a series was, and I know I'm being partisan here.)
Don't Shoot the Penguins. | Dance, 성은, dance! | Killer FanKlub | Action sucks. | Storm Terran hwaiting.
Holgerius
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sweden16951 Posts
January 07 2011 14:21 GMT
#288
Stork is proving he deserves his spot and intends to stay there. First he goes up 1-0 vs the PR #2 and the next day he reaches the OSL Ro4. Dual finals for Stork would make me very happy.
I believe in the almighty Grötslev! -- I am never serious and you should never believe a thing I say. Including the previous sentence.
Mortality
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States4790 Posts
January 07 2011 14:35 GMT
#289
Calm's win should not be undervalued and calling it a fluke victory seems silly to me. Sure, he hasn't been anywhere near that strong looking since then, but he consistently makes it deep in tournaments even when he's going through Clam moments. Just look at last season -- Ro8 of MSL even though his results were sucky on the whole at the time.

Every SL winner has deserved their win. Whether you're talking about Calm or July or Casy or Anytime's every-game-a-cheese, all players had to work hard for their goal. No matter how you look at it, whether we're talking ForGG's MSL win (with bo5's over Flash and JD) or NaDa's IOPS run or whatever, no single SL has ever been a "perfect test" of ability. Even if they play all the hardest opponents, you still have to consider things like maps and metagame trends. Hence the importance of a player being tested over multiple seasons in order to be considered for bonjwa.
Even though this Proleague bullshit has been completely bogus, I really, really, really do not see how Khan can lose this. I swear I will kill myself if they do. - nesix before KHAN lost to eNature
Musoeun
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States4324 Posts
January 07 2011 15:11 GMT
#290
In non-Calm news, looks like Kal really wasn't a solid #3, and Modesty should maybe have HoGiL's spot.
Don't Shoot the Penguins. | Dance, 성은, dance! | Killer FanKlub | Action sucks. | Storm Terran hwaiting.
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
January 07 2011 15:14 GMT
#291
Yeah should have gone with gut and put Modesty. Oh well, next month!
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
luckybeni2
Profile Joined October 2008
Germany1065 Posts
January 07 2011 18:25 GMT
#292
On January 08 2011 00:11 Musoeun wrote:
In non-Calm news, looks like Kal really wasn't a solid #3, and Modesty should maybe have HoGiL's spot.

The wierd thing was that kal played so much better than him in game 2. Game 3 was fun to watch but I would not count it against kal too much. The map is 80% z>p. It was incredible defense and he almost came out on top.
ZZangDreamjOy
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada959 Posts
January 07 2011 19:27 GMT
#293
On January 08 2011 03:25 luckybeni2 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 08 2011 00:11 Musoeun wrote:
In non-Calm news, looks like Kal really wasn't a solid #3, and Modesty should maybe have HoGiL's spot.

The wierd thing was that kal played so much better than him in game 2. Game 3 was fun to watch but I would not count it against kal too much. The map is 80% z>p. It was incredible defense and he almost came out on top.

That makes absolutely no sense. You can't play better then someone and still lose.
HitEmUp
Holgerius
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sweden16951 Posts
January 07 2011 19:34 GMT
#294
On January 08 2011 04:27 ZZangDreamjOy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 08 2011 03:25 luckybeni2 wrote:
On January 08 2011 00:11 Musoeun wrote:
In non-Calm news, looks like Kal really wasn't a solid #3, and Modesty should maybe have HoGiL's spot.

The wierd thing was that kal played so much better than him in game 2. Game 3 was fun to watch but I would not count it against kal too much. The map is 80% z>p. It was incredible defense and he almost came out on top.

That makes absolutely no sense. You can't play better then someone and still lose.

In general, ya, I tend to agree with the idea that whoever wins per definition played better.
I believe in the almighty Grötslev! -- I am never serious and you should never believe a thing I say. Including the previous sentence.
Mortality
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States4790 Posts
January 07 2011 19:38 GMT
#295
On January 08 2011 04:27 ZZangDreamjOy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 08 2011 03:25 luckybeni2 wrote:
On January 08 2011 00:11 Musoeun wrote:
In non-Calm news, looks like Kal really wasn't a solid #3, and Modesty should maybe have HoGiL's spot.

The wierd thing was that kal played so much better than him in game 2. Game 3 was fun to watch but I would not count it against kal too much. The map is 80% z>p. It was incredible defense and he almost came out on top.

That makes absolutely no sense. You can't play better then someone and still lose.


I haven't seen the game, but I'll comment that no, a player can play better and still lose. For example a player can fall behind due to build order disadvantage or cheesy play and then *almost* succeed in making a comeback. Or a glitch can occur, like a tank popping for no reason. Or a reaver can decide it doesn't want its scarabs to do any damage. Or bad luck can occur with scouting or whatever. Or the map could be imbalanced, maybe racially imbalanced, or maybe one position mines faster than the other...

Many, many factors go into a game of Starcraft and some of them can cause the better player to lose.
Even though this Proleague bullshit has been completely bogus, I really, really, really do not see how Khan can lose this. I swear I will kill myself if they do. - nesix before KHAN lost to eNature
Holgerius
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sweden16951 Posts
January 07 2011 19:49 GMT
#296
On January 08 2011 04:38 Mortality wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 08 2011 04:27 ZZangDreamjOy wrote:
On January 08 2011 03:25 luckybeni2 wrote:
On January 08 2011 00:11 Musoeun wrote:
In non-Calm news, looks like Kal really wasn't a solid #3, and Modesty should maybe have HoGiL's spot.

The wierd thing was that kal played so much better than him in game 2. Game 3 was fun to watch but I would not count it against kal too much. The map is 80% z>p. It was incredible defense and he almost came out on top.

That makes absolutely no sense. You can't play better then someone and still lose.


I haven't seen the game, but I'll comment that no, a player can play better and still lose. For example a player can fall behind due to build order disadvantage or cheesy play and then *almost* succeed in making a comeback. Or a glitch can occur, like a tank popping for no reason. Or a reaver can decide it doesn't want its scarabs to do any damage. Or bad luck can occur with scouting or whatever. Or the map could be imbalanced, maybe racially imbalanced, or maybe one position mines faster than the other...

Many, many factors go into a game of Starcraft and some of them can cause the better player to lose.

The better player can lose, but not the one who played better (in that specific game). That is my view on things. Of course there are extreme examples that you can argue has a lot to do with luck, but typically when we talk about build order advantages and stuff it can be attributed to mind games which is a very important tool when playing SC and most definitely a skill related thing. Execution of strategies and the mechanical part of the game are not the only relevant aspects of playing good SC.

Zzangwhateverhisnameis never said ''Modesty is the better player'', he only said that Kal didn't play better than him in Game 2 and even though I didn't watch the game too closely (was multitasking at the time) I agree with him. Kal lost, Modesty played better.
I believe in the almighty Grötslev! -- I am never serious and you should never believe a thing I say. Including the previous sentence.
Severedevil
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States4839 Posts
January 07 2011 20:40 GMT
#297
I didn't see the entire Kal vs. Modesty game 2, but in the part I saw, Kal dug himself deep into a hole by building an expensive dragoon/templar-heavy army off two-onto-three bases and then losing it failing to break a 4-base Zerg that was just finishing hive tech.

If Kal was outplaying Modesty for the rest of the game after that point, fine... but sometimes you fuck up too badly to make a comeback.
My strategy is to fork people.
Mortality
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States4790 Posts
January 07 2011 20:41 GMT
#298
On January 08 2011 04:49 Holgerius wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 08 2011 04:38 Mortality wrote:
On January 08 2011 04:27 ZZangDreamjOy wrote:
On January 08 2011 03:25 luckybeni2 wrote:
On January 08 2011 00:11 Musoeun wrote:
In non-Calm news, looks like Kal really wasn't a solid #3, and Modesty should maybe have HoGiL's spot.

The wierd thing was that kal played so much better than him in game 2. Game 3 was fun to watch but I would not count it against kal too much. The map is 80% z>p. It was incredible defense and he almost came out on top.

That makes absolutely no sense. You can't play better then someone and still lose.


I haven't seen the game, but I'll comment that no, a player can play better and still lose. For example a player can fall behind due to build order disadvantage or cheesy play and then *almost* succeed in making a comeback. Or a glitch can occur, like a tank popping for no reason. Or a reaver can decide it doesn't want its scarabs to do any damage. Or bad luck can occur with scouting or whatever. Or the map could be imbalanced, maybe racially imbalanced, or maybe one position mines faster than the other...

Many, many factors go into a game of Starcraft and some of them can cause the better player to lose.

The better player can lose, but not the one who played better (in that specific game). That is my view on things. Of course there are extreme examples that you can argue has a lot to do with luck, but typically when we talk about build order advantages and stuff it can be attributed to mind games which is a very important tool when playing SC and most definitely a skill related thing. Execution of strategies and the mechanical part of the game are not the only relevant aspects of playing good SC.

Zzangwhateverhisnameis never said ''Modesty is the better player'', he only said that Kal didn't play better than him in Game 2 and even though I didn't watch the game too closely (was multitasking at the time) I agree with him. Kal lost, Modesty played better.


I disagree. Rather strongly. When I think back to all the thousands of games I've played, I can recall some that I won that I did not deserve to win and I can recall some that I lost that I did not deserve to lose. And the same bears true for progamer matches I've watched. It's not all open and shut.

I don't really like listening to these kinds of arguments about "so-and-so played better but lost anyway" because 90+% of them are bullcrap, but there is truth that can be found there in some of them.
Even though this Proleague bullshit has been completely bogus, I really, really, really do not see how Khan can lose this. I swear I will kill myself if they do. - nesix before KHAN lost to eNature
Holgerius
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sweden16951 Posts
January 07 2011 20:56 GMT
#299
IMO the games where it's really warranted to say ''This guy deserved to win this specific game but lost it anyways'' are extremely rare. In almost all cases you can attribute it to some sort of decision making.
I believe in the almighty Grötslev! -- I am never serious and you should never believe a thing I say. Including the previous sentence.
StylishVODs
Profile Joined December 2005
Sweden5331 Posts
January 07 2011 21:23 GMT
#300
I'd say the player who played better can definately lose and it's not even that uncommon.
Wether you like it or not, luck can win you the game sometimes.

I'm not commenting about any specific game now.
According to Reach, he is the fastest learner he has ever seen. He start bw only like 2/3 years ago. Infact, his bw history knowledge is so limited, he didn't even know what the map Guillotine was.
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 56 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
IntoTheiNu 947
LiquipediaDiscussion
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
ByuN vs KrystianerLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings192
CranKy Ducklings SOOP19
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech32
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 36312
Shuttle 12728
FanTaSy 1732
Hyuk 1144
BeSt 572
Horang2 530
Pusan 337
Mini 311
Stork 255
EffOrt 200
[ Show more ]
Last 159
Killer 138
Zeus 136
Mind 88
ggaemo 71
sorry 62
Hyun 61
Snow 51
PianO 46
Sea.KH 42
Soma 38
ToSsGirL 34
Hm[arnc] 31
Bale 31
JYJ 21
Aegong 18
hero 17
zelot 15
NaDa 12
Sacsri 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Noble 7
Dota 2
Dendi772
XcaliburYe361
Counter-Strike
fl0m1984
byalli879
x6flipin539
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu36
Other Games
gofns41680
singsing3010
B2W.Neo970
Hui .139
Livibee115
ArmadaUGS81
Mew2King61
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick680
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream66
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
2h 47m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 47m
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 47m
Replay Cast
10h 47m
Afreeca Starleague
21h 47m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
22h 47m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 3h
Replay Cast
1d 10h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 21h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 22h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.