• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:42
CEST 20:42
KST 03:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9221 users

Liquid`HerO's Arrival

Forum Index > News
863 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 42 43 44 Next All

Liquid`HerO's Arrival

Text byLiquid`Nazgul
Graphics bydisciple
August 10th, 2011 12:32 GMT
[image loading]

It's funny how things go sometimes. After ten months without announcing a new recruit, here we are unveiling our second signing in just as many weeks. I am extremely proud to announce that Song Hyun Deok (aka "HerO") has joined Team Liquid.

We have been working with oGs on acquiring HerO for quite a while now. The idea first came to us about four to five months ago. I remember thinking how well HerO would fit our team, and how cool it would be to become the first foreign team with a Korean on board. Liquid has always tried to be on the forefront of bringing the Korean and Western scenes together, and this would continue that tradition. Unfortunately, things didn't unfold as quickly as I would have hoped, but the wait has undoubtedly been worth it.

For those of you unfamiliar with HerO, he does not lack credentials. He first displayed his prowess to the foreign scene in the FXO Invitational #1, where he defeated formidable opponents such as LoWeLy, SjoW, Sheth, Mana, LaLuSh and TheStC. More recently, he denied DongRaeGu a spot in the July Code-A tournament by defeating him in the final round of the qualifiers, smashed through tgun, LaLush, TheStC and Vines to earn a spot in NASL Season Two, and is now awaiting the RO32 games in Korea's WCG qualifier after a strong run through the preliminaries.

Even so, I realize that it's likely many Liquid fans will never have heard of him before. The fact of the matter is, it's extremely hard to get noticed in Korea. Not only is the level of play incredibly high, but the opportunities to break through are limited to the monthly Code-A qualifiers against every other pro-gamer hopeful in Korea. Incredible players like DongRaeGu and Puma have languished in "Code-B" for months, only to astonish viewers once they were given chances outside the GSL's unforgiving system. While he still has a long way to go and a lot to prove, I believe that HerO is a player of that caliber. As a part of Liquid, I believe that he will seize the opportunities given to him.

HerO joining Liquid is so much more than just picking up an emerging talent, or globalization for its own sake. At the heart of every Liquid recruitment is my search for people I can believe in. I chose HerO because he was the one Korean out of many who truly matched the Liquid ideal. As much as I appreciate the deals between Complexity - MVP and SK-Gaming - oGs for being very beneficial to both the players and teams involved, they just don't match my personal philosophy for Liquid. I want all my players to really feel like they are a part of something bigger, to be people who will proudly carry the responsibility of upholding the Liquid name.

During his time as an oGs member, HerO displayed all the attributes I desired. He understood the value of improving his English so that he could better communicate with Liquid players, and became good friends with Jinro and HuK during their time together at the oGs-TL house. It was their strong recommendations that brought him to my attention in the first place. Furthermore, he realized the importance of the fans outside Korea and competed in foreign tournaments while trying to engage the international community. To that end, I'm more than willing to help. In his very first competition outside Korean soil, HerO will be joining the rest of Liquid at MLG Raleigh.

As always, I would like to thank all of Liquid's fans for their continued support. It is truly appreciated. I hope that you will show Hyun Deok the same kind of passion.

Welcome, Liquid`HerO!

- Liquid`Nazgul


*I would like to thank Froz, the original Liquid`Hero, for graciously allowing HerO to take on his ID. Froz has changed his ID to Liquid`Froz.


Song "HerO" Hyun Deok has been officially transferred from oGs to Team Liquid. As you all know, oGs and Team Liquid have a close relationship where they share the same practice house. Rating HerO highly as a player, Liquid approached us about acquiring him.

After discussing the matter with HerO, we decided it would be a good opportunity for him to compete abroad and accepted the transfer. Though he has transferred to Liquid, he will remain at the oGs-TL house and practice here. We hope that HerO does well with Team Liquid.

Hyun Deok, don't forget that oGs is always with you!

- oGs.TheWind





Getting to know Liquid`HerO


Liquid`HerO Replay Pack

Stream: http://www.justin.tv/liquidhero
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Liquid_HerO

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/HerO

&

An Interview with Liquid`HerO


Hey HerO! It's great to have you on Liquid. Can you tell us a bit about yourself and your history with gaming? How did you become a professional StarCraft 2 player? A ton of people are going to want to know everything about you.

Hi, my name is Song Hyun Deok and I'm twenty-one year old Protoss player. I started playing Starcraft 1 when I was sixteen, playing just for fun at first. But as I played I realized I was the best in my school and started playing with more interest, which led to me dreaming of becoming a pro-gamer. When I was seventeen, I qualified as a semi-pro through the 21st Courage tournament [Note: The Courage league is the system through which KeSPA - the governing body of Korean Brood War - gives out semi-pro licenses]. After that, I participated in the draft and was recruited by Lecaf OZ (now Hwaseung OZ).

I particpated in the GSL Open preliminary for fun, but there I met coach Kim Seong Gon (oGs.Gon) who had been my captain and teammate during the Lecaf OZ days. Through him, I joined oGs.

What made decide to make the move from oGs to Liquid, and do you think you'll be able to adjust well? What has your relationship with Liquid been like prior to this announcement?

Well, because of the cooperation between oGs and TL, players like Jonathan and Chris have lived at our house. Personally, I thought of them very highly. They were foreigners who had come to Korea with a goal, and that seemed so cool and new to me at the time. They are the first foreigners I've gotten to know, and they're great people I've grown to love.

I heard this later, but Jonathan and Chris recommended me to Victor. To be honest, when I was first told to consider joining Liquid, the first thing that came to mind was that I would feel so sorry to Manager Park Sang Ik (oGs.TheWind) and Coach Kim Sung Gon (oGs.Gon). But both of them told me that this would be a great opportunity, and that even though it would be a loss from the team's perspective, it could be a turning point in my life. Because they thought about it from my point of view and respected my feelings about it, I was able to decide with a lighter heart.

Personally, I'm so thankful to Victor, and Jonathan and Chris who recommended me. The competition is tough in Korea where the reliance on GSL is high. It's true that I thought it was exhausting. I was really afraid that it would end up for me like Starcraft 1, where I did well in practice but couldn't produce any results.

Thank you Team Liquid for giving me the opportunity to gain experience, expand my horizons, and succeed.


As a Liquid member you will start participating in many international events. Which international events do you look forward to the most, and what Liquid players are you looking forward to being reunited with?

Personally I'm really looking forward to the MLG tournaments. I'm going to compete at Raleigh very soon, and I'm giddy because it's my first international tournament. Watching MLG from afar, I've always wanted to compete. When I saw Moon Sung Won (SlayerS_MMA) earn his Code-S spot at MLG, I thought to myself "I can do it, too!"

Also, the response from the fans overseas is huge compared Korea. I've always been envious of that environment as an observer, and I'd like to play for once, drawing strength from those kind of fans.

I'd like to meet all the Liquid members, but if I had to pick one, I'd say Hayder. We had a lot of fun together, and he taught me a lot of English. Whenever I didn't know something he'd just laugh and help me out. I was sad when he had to leave. I made fun of him a lot for not eating meat when he was in Korea, so I'd like to apologize to him here.

Like you mentioned before, you'll be playing at MLG Raleigh in a few weeks. Are you in good condition going into this tournament? Also, Korean Terrans dominated the last MLG, and more may be on the way with MVP and Bomber receiving invites to the next tournament. Do you think you can beat those kind of players?

My condition's alright, and I'll do my best to prepare. MVP and Bomber are good players, but I think they're players I'm capable of beating. I'm not too worried.

You already have a fan club on Team Liquid, which you've posted in. How closely do you follow the foreign community? Do you read Team Liquid very often? Also, we hear that your English is quite good. Can we look forward to you speaking in English at foreign tournaments, like MC and DongRaeGu?

I visit TeamLiquid pretty often, as for my English... I'll try harder to get better. Honestly, I was never one for studying, but I liked English. I'd like to use English at foreign tournaments like MC or DongRaeGu, but I'm not confident enough yet, so I need to try harder.

You are now a Liquid` member, but you are going to keep living at the oGs-TL house, practicing and living with the same people. Will joining Liquid` make for any changes in your everyday life, or will things pretty much stay the same?

I don't think it's going to affect my everyday life. The oGs players and coaches think of oGs and TL as one team because of our cooperation. Since I'm Korean, I don't think it will change too much.

Who are you closest to in the oGs-TL house and who are your usual practice partners? Who do you think is a good player who hasn't gotten much exposure?

I'm friends with everyone, but if I had to pick I'd say MC and Inca who I've learned a lot from. I practice a lot with oGsJ (aka Luvsic), oGsJookto, and oGsTheStC. I think oGsJ is underated.

How about some personal questions? What's your favorite food?

For my favorite food, it's actually a problem because I like to eat everything. I guess it would be whole roasted chicken? I like poultry a lot.

Movies? Anything you've seen lately that was interesting?

I really love watching movies, I like them all regardless of their genre.

Recently, we were all watching Scream 4 together, and after the movie I started feeling mischievious. So I hid and waited for TheStC to give him a scare with some stabbing motions, which really, really scared him. After that, people at the house teased me a lot.

Favorite K-Pop star?

Hyuna

Okay, to wrap up, say something to your foreign fans!

That's pretty difficult...

[At this point, the interviewer talked about "special tektics", White-Ra, MC, and the fact that having imperfect English can often be a good thing.]

"Hellow everyone
i'm always thanks for fan
if not have fan ,,
maybe i'm not here
Always thanks and expect me
i will give you grace ??"


Is that okay?

Perfect.

Okay, thank you.

Thanks for the interview!

T_T


[image loading]

Make sure to catch Liquid`HerO's first appearance as a Liquid player at Tuesday, Aug 16 2:00am GMT (GMT+00:00), as Team Liquid takes on Complexity in the Gosu Coaching Premiere League!
Facebook Twitter Reddit
Administrator
ineq
Profile Joined March 2011
Sweden376 Posts
August 10 2011 12:32 GMT
#2
there it is! :D
HerO - iNcontroL - DeMusliM - TaeJa - JaeDong
Heosat
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Australia481 Posts
August 10 2011 12:33 GMT
#3
Originally I intended the announcement to be a fun game where someone could win a Liquid shirt but as it turns out, it took on a life of its own. Currently the TL.net thread stands at ~1600 posts and the Reddit thread has 982. Unfortunately, as it turns out, not a single person guessed what the announcement was.

However, one person does appear to have completely deciphered our plans and that's Pangpootata with this post: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewpost.php?post_id=10772767

It is obvious that he is a deserving winner of our shirt. I apologise for overhyping the event, that was not my intention at all, but what I can say is this: it is the first item of a chain of news items.
Liquid ftw!
Horse != player. I'm from TLAF.
Namu
Profile Joined February 2011
United States826 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-10 14:01:25
August 10 2011 12:33 GMT
#4
holy crap?

so this was quite unexpected.. obviously can tell since no one guessed the correct answer lol
i've always thought HerO was a great player (i have him on my gstl team), i hope he can finally shine through Liquid
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-10 12:37:49
August 10 2011 12:33 GMT
#5
Chain gleamin', switchin' lanes, two-seatin'
Hate him or love him for the same reason

FRESH!

Can't leave it, the game needs him
Plus the people need someone to believe in

YES!

So in Naz's Son we trust
'Cause they know he's gonna give 'em what they want
They lookin' for a HerO
I guess that makes him a HerO
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
Abphil
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany21 Posts
August 10 2011 12:33 GMT
#6
Hero fighting!
zul
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Germany5427 Posts
August 10 2011 12:33 GMT
#7
boom! GL TL, GL HerO.
keep it deep! @zulison
bITt.mAN
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Switzerland3700 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-10 12:34:52
August 10 2011 12:33 GMT
#8
MY DICK IS HARD!

EDIT: Aww crap I spent too much time reading the OP
BW4LYF . . . . . . PM me, I LOVE PMs. . . . . . Long live "NaDa's Body" . . . . . . Fantasy | Bisu/Best | Jaedong . . . . .
namste
Profile Joined October 2010
Finland2292 Posts
August 10 2011 12:34 GMT
#9
Ooo cool news!
IM hwaitiing ~ IMMvp #1 | Bang Min Ah <3<3
Elefanto
Profile Joined May 2010
Switzerland3584 Posts
August 10 2011 12:34 GMT
#10
Oh look it's little Bisu.
Nice!
wat
djfoxmccloud
Profile Joined July 2011
France185 Posts
August 10 2011 12:34 GMT
#11
Gogogo
Bumblebee
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
3237 Posts
August 10 2011 12:34 GMT
#12
Welcome Mini-Bisu! ;-)
There is no difference between a knight and any other man aside from what he wears. @robinnymann
Xzyerasu
Profile Joined March 2011
Switzerland14 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-10 12:44:01
August 10 2011 12:34 GMT
#13
so who the t-shirt ?
edit: haha just read the answer, nice
LoLAdriankat
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4307 Posts
August 10 2011 12:35 GMT
#14
Holy shit awesome grab! GJ and grats to TL!
czaku
Profile Joined June 2011
Poland429 Posts
August 10 2011 12:35 GMT
#15
annoucement of annoucement has come.....
roaroaroar
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany3 Posts
August 10 2011 12:36 GMT
#16
EPIC ! : D
TL cant get more baller than this !
Eti307
Profile Blog Joined March 2004
Canada3442 Posts
August 10 2011 12:36 GMT
#17
YES Awesome!!
hdan
Profile Joined June 2011
27 Posts
August 10 2011 12:36 GMT
#18
Yay!
tree.hugger
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Philadelphia, PA10406 Posts
August 10 2011 12:36 GMT
#19
Hey, I wasn't so wrong about Bisu!
ModeratorEffOrt, Snow, GuMiho, and Team Liquid
shublar
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Korea (South)264 Posts
August 10 2011 12:36 GMT
#20
안냉hero!! best wishes for the future ~~~~
@eugmak - www.twitch.tv/shublar - www.ausproleague.com
1 2 3 4 5 42 43 44 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 18m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 655
UpATreeSC 122
JuggernautJason27
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 19828
firebathero 200
Rush 139
Dewaltoss 85
Trap 25
Shine 22
Sexy 19
Bale 13
yabsab 9
Djem5 3
Dota 2
Gorgc7853
qojqva1425
monkeys_forever91
Counter-Strike
fl0m1538
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1858
crisheroes1251
Liquid`Hasu656
XaKoH 165
MindelVK10
Other Games
Grubby2992
FrodaN842
ceh9717
Beastyqt669
summit1g504
ArmadaUGS198
KnowMe167
byalli163
C9.Mang0158
Hui .143
QueenE105
Trikslyr64
Mew2King63
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV201
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream78
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 7
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• intothetv
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 31
• 80smullet 13
• FirePhoenix11
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• Nemesis1751
League of Legends
• TFBlade1168
Other Games
• imaqtpie858
• Shiphtur248
• WagamamaTV248
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 18m
Stellar Fest
18h 18m
OSC
1d 3h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 15h
Online Event
1d 16h
FEL
1d 21h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 22h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.