• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:21
CEST 23:21
KST 06:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)50Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8185 users

[DH] "Top 10 Stories" - Dreamhack Summer Recap - Page 5

Forum Index > News
177 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Frallan
Profile Joined December 2010
Sweden56 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-28 23:30:40
June 28 2011 23:29 GMT
#81
I am angered to see that #6 was such a big deal for alot of people. Even though Starcraft is for me the best E-sport game currently, we must accept that other game must co-exist. There were atleast 5 other games there played at large. I think it's sad that we should treat the starcraft players better than we treat our HoN player per example. They even had to play in the lan area because there werent enough space. Starcraft isint everything. Sorry.
Frallan
Profile Joined December 2010
Sweden56 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-28 23:30:27
June 28 2011 23:30 GMT
#82
Double, oops.
Genovi
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden388 Posts
June 28 2011 23:42 GMT
#83
It might be the alcohol in me talking right now but i just have to say how much i love TL for doing these writeups :D They are absolutely stunning
We fucking lost team - RTZ
Xeris
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
Iran17695 Posts
June 28 2011 23:53 GMT
#84
I'll have to comment on the "Korean Hotel Problem" because I'm dealing with a very similar issue organizing the NASL Grand Finals.

The issue is that Koreans are used to a certain level of treatment, one that in foreign events is just not given. I believe MLG went above and beyond and provceided everything (flights, hotels, practice environment), and mostly they expect that.

At NASL, it was stipulated in the contract what players would receive who advance to the Grand Finals. There was a bit of misunderstanding when the Koreans said "but why aren't you playing for our flights" ... but we worked it out.

In a perfect world, every tournament will be able to pay for accommodations of all its players =D
twitter.com/xerislight -- follow me~~
Foooky
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Australia205 Posts
June 28 2011 23:56 GMT
#85
Extremely well written, loved the writeup!!~
Steamroller
Profile Joined August 2010
Finland756 Posts
June 28 2011 23:59 GMT
#86
Training in Korea doesn't automatically make u top player or even better than players practising outside of Korea. Many have failed, last one to come back is Haypro. I afraid Jinro might be next. Some players just have what it takes to play at the highest level and some people will never reach it no matter how hard they train.
DyEnasTy
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States3720 Posts
June 29 2011 00:03 GMT
#87
Really cool write up. Long. But I enjoyed every word. I too really like MC. But most of all congrats to HuK!
Much better to die an awesome Terran than to live as a magic wielding fairy or a mindless sac of biological goop. -Manifesto7
Alou
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States3748 Posts
June 29 2011 00:20 GMT
#88
Awesome read.
Life is Good.
Termit
Profile Joined December 2010
Sweden3466 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-29 00:22:58
June 29 2011 00:20 GMT
#89
Agree on #4. For me, sitting at home and following the event on Day9.TV I felt like I was kept in the dark way to much. It was like, ok a game, then commercial and then another game. I saw no pictures (well, I saw a handfull of pictures from day 1 on DH's flickr...) no interviews or anything from the players and that was pretty boring. It was also kinda bad having one freaking match in DreamArena when the interest is so big and the line to DreamArena is longer than you can imagine. When Quake was being played it was like 20 people in the crowd and DreamArena wasn't even full during the CS 1.6 finals with a Swedish team in the final and CS used/are the main game of DH.

I hope they make Starcraft 2 the official main game to DH Winter and DreamArena or something similair will be the "main place" for SC2 during the event. I would like it to be how DH Stockholm Invitational was because the interest is there and I would guess a caster like Day9 would much rather hang out in DreamArena with a crowd and be able to give us some interviews with players and stuff instead of sitting outside in a freaking tent far from players and everything that has to do with Starcraft.
( ̄。 ̄)~zzz ◕ ◡ ◕
Gurgl
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden308 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-29 00:47:13
June 29 2011 00:30 GMT
#90
I find it a bit strange that the Koreans had problems sleeping in rooms with 5 others, isn't that what they all do in their practice houses in Korea? Whenever I watch videos from progaming houses I think about their living conditions, I would have a hard time sharing rooms like they do because I'm used to having alot of privacy.

Sharing rooms with 5 others is obviously not ideal but I don't see how any of that blame can go to Dreamhack, everyone has to take care of their own hotel bookings etc for DH.

If I go to Korea I don't assume that everything will magically work out with housing etc when I get there, I look up things beforehand.
JBanKs
Profile Joined April 2010
United Kingdom617 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-29 00:43:42
June 29 2011 00:42 GMT
#91
Nice read, was a shame about the hotel situation and the bad communication, I was the "#4. A sponsor arranges for them to travel via bus to a local LAN café, where they get some last minute practice in." Not so much a sponsor but someone who works closely with their sponsor, I contacted the head of BenQ Sweden who quickly worked out a LAN cafe the guys could train at that helped a lot. Big thanks to BenQ Sweden for helping them out at such short notice.

Hopefully both parties will learn from this event and want to send more Korean players to Dreamhack with fewer problems on the communication front.
Was a pleasure to meet Bomber, July and Moon who I spent a great deal of time with, hope to see them again soon.

The translator gives us his thoughts on the hotel room here
Ex-StarTale manager // @BanKseSports on twitter
Arterial
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Australia1039 Posts
June 29 2011 00:43 GMT
#92
poor Jinro =[
savior & jaedong
kommunalka
Profile Joined February 2011
United States550 Posts
June 29 2011 01:00 GMT
#93
Six koreans in a king sized bed, could be a great idea for a new sitcom.
rG
fire_brand
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Canada1123 Posts
June 29 2011 01:01 GMT
#94
Jinro fighting! You can come out of this slump buddy!
Random player, pixel enthusiast, crappy illustrator, offlane/support
IIIOmegaIII
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden319 Posts
June 29 2011 01:02 GMT
#95
haha awesome stuff!!
Vandroy
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Sweden155 Posts
June 29 2011 01:05 GMT
#96
Really nice read, and I even managed to get caught on one of the pictures^^
Rinnegan5
Profile Joined March 2011
Netherlands319 Posts
June 29 2011 01:10 GMT
#97
Koreans expected to get the MLG treatment and were surprised they had to book accomodations by themself...the horror...I mean even to think they had to arrange stuff for themself like everyone else does....*sarcasm* I guess the managers of their respective teams need to learn more english like MC.
StyLeD
Profile Joined January 2011
United States2965 Posts
June 29 2011 01:17 GMT
#98
On June 29 2011 09:30 Gurgl wrote:
I find it a bit strange that the Koreans had problems sleeping in rooms with 5 others, isn't that what they all do in their practice houses in Korea? Whenever I watch videos from progaming houses I think about their living conditions, I would have a hard time sharing rooms like they do because I'm used to having alot of privacy.

Sharing rooms with 5 others is obviously not ideal but I don't see how any of that blame can go to Dreamhack, everyone has to take care of their own hotel bookings etc for DH.

If I go to Korea I don't assume that everything will magically work out with housing etc when I get there, I look up things beforehand.


You treat guests from foreign countries like that? If someone from a different country came to visit, you'd think, "Oh, he's used to living in a shack of a house, I'll just let him sleep in my bathroom!"

They're guests and should be provided as such, IMHO. Because the Korean managers are the ones who signed the Dreamhack agreement without reading it too in-depth, they could've emphasized it in bold, because it is such an important part of the event.

The difference between you going to Korea and them coming to Dreamhack is that a) you're not a progamer or anything that demands accommodation, 2) you don't have a manager or equivalent who's entire job is to make sure you don't have to do anything but play Starcraft 2.
"Even gophers love Starcraft" - Tasteless. || Davichi | IU <3
Zeburial
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden1126 Posts
June 29 2011 01:20 GMT
#99
Woah What a long read! Thanks for the effort! :D Was very interesting.
Empires are not brought down by outside forces - they are destroyed by weaknesses from within
RumTalk
Profile Joined October 2010
Jamaica135 Posts
June 29 2011 01:28 GMT
#100
On June 29 2011 09:30 Gurgl wrote:
I find it a bit strange that the Koreans had problems sleeping in rooms with 5 others, isn't that what they all do in their practice houses in Korea? Whenever I watch videos from progaming houses I think about their living conditions, I would have a hard time sharing rooms like they do because I'm used to having alot of privacy.

Sharing rooms with 5 others is obviously not ideal but I don't see how any of that blame can go to Dreamhack, everyone has to take care of their own hotel bookings etc for DH.

If I go to Korea I don't assume that everything will magically work out with housing etc when I get there, I look up things beforehand.


Korean practice houses firstly are bigger than a hostel room, not sure how u constructed your argument knowing that but regardless even though in the practice house yes they sleep generally 3-5 persons per room, they have bunk beds and they dont spend any real time in those sleeping area's unless they are sleeping.
Also the problem was caused basically because the koreans who signed the agreement with dreamhack either assumed that the hotels etc would be taken care of for them, or there was a language isse and they didnt think to ask about the part they didnt get again because arrangements were always taken care of for them.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 40m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 122
ProTech117
Nina 99
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13320
Bale 11
League of Legends
Doublelift2510
JimRising 268
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4971
Khaldor1387
Liquid`Hasu738
Other Games
summit1g6361
fl0m825
shahzam450
C9.Mang0191
FrodaN171
KnowMe137
ArmadaUGS121
ToD111
Mew2King65
JuggernautJason62
NeuroSwarm35
ViBE26
PPMD13
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV191
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream59
Other Games
angryscii10
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 33
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Noizen127
Other Games
• imaqtpie934
• Shiphtur232
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 40m
Stellar Fest
15h 40m
OSC
1d
CranKy Ducklings
1d 12h
Online Event
1d 13h
FEL
1d 18h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 19h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 21h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.