• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:43
CEST 02:43
KST 09:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8745 users

[GSL] "Maturation" GSL May Midway Report - Page 2

Forum Index > News
90 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Rushingwolf
Profile Joined October 2010
78 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-29 23:07:39
April 29 2011 23:05 GMT
#21
good write up
Hammertime
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia77 Posts
April 29 2011 23:33 GMT
#22
Thanks for the writeup.

And lol@tassadar
red4ce
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States7313 Posts
April 29 2011 23:33 GMT
#23
Clide - A
I think the self-proclaimed title of best player in the world speaks for itself here, normally he would receive an A+ by default but I don't believe he was given an opportunity to truly showcase his skills to us

Self proclaimed? I thought it was just a Tasteosis joke?

STJuly - A
July once again proved himself the king of scrappy, resourceful zerg play. In both games, he adeptly handled early aggression, and his doggedness against HuK proved that he has the patience to win as well. He was the group favorite, and he delivered. With the winners and runners-up of the last three GSL's all out, July smells blood, this is his GSL to lose.

Assuming July gets past Anyrpo, he will likely have to ZvZ his way to the finals with Nestea, Fruitdealer, and Losira are on the same side of the bracket. July's ZvZ isn't as terrible as it used to be, but it's still his weakest matchup by far. I'd put Nestea as the favorite for the remainder of the GSL.

TLAF-Liquid'HuK - B-
HuK should be angry after these games. Despite being clearly the second best player in the group, he will now only have one chance in the up/down matches.

I root for Huk but even this is a little too biased for me. He's 7-7 overall in GSL, with his BoX wins coming against Curious, Revival, and Choya, none of whom are even in code A anymore. He may be more well rounded than Rain and Inca, both of whom are only good at their respective mirror matchup, but based on results you can't say Huk is clearly the second best player in the group. I agree he got the shaft in terms of matchups in this group by not getting to go against Rain, but his play was definitely not Ro16 worthy anyways.
mikyaJ
Profile Joined April 2011
1834 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-29 23:53:49
April 29 2011 23:41 GMT
#24
That HuK never got to play Rain, and that InCa advanced having played him twice is evidence enough that the GSL should rework its group system to a more equitable format. The results in this group were a joke.

While I agree that the OSL/MSL group system is better, I'd like to point out that even in that system a player can be elmiminated by playing the same player twice. If Inca and HuK face eachother first, and HuK loses he will go to Loser's Match and Inca will go to the Winner's. Now HuK wins to put him in the final game, and Inca loses putting him in the final game as well. Now Inca wins again. Same results, just in a different order.

Also saying HuK is the second best player is completely biased. There's no arguing that July was #1, and could beat anyone in the group... but Inca can beat HuK. So the reasoning that "Inca wouldn't have a chance either" is fair, but that doesn't make HuK better, that neither player can beat July. That's like saying neither MKP or MVP can beat MC (not that this is true, just example), therefore, because MKP had to play MC earlier, he is better than MVP, regardless of the fact that MVP smashes him everytime they meet. HuK is a good ~Code A level player, who's been having hard times lately.
MKP||TSL
rickybobby
Profile Joined October 2010
United States405 Posts
April 29 2011 23:52 GMT
#25
I think alicia and genius are switched in this write up because on the gom vods it says alicia vs losira and genius vs nada.
tree.hugger
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Philadelphia, PA10406 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-29 23:57:04
April 29 2011 23:56 GMT
#26
I should be clear; when I said "HuK was clearly the second best player in the group" I wasn't trying to say that he was the best overall, but I was saying that based on the play shown by all the players in his group, HuK's play, even in losses, was miles ahead of the absymal showing that InCa and Rain put out.

I'm aware that in an OSL or MSL format, HuK still needs to beat InCa. I'm aware that, given the match-up, this wouldn't be easy. But I'd rate HuK's chances in a PvP higher than Rain's chances to beat HuK, or InCa's chances to beat Rain.
ModeratorEffOrt, Snow, GuMiho, and Team Liquid
Datum
Profile Joined February 2011
United States371 Posts
April 30 2011 00:21 GMT
#27
Nice, funny writeup. Thanks!
1Eris1
Profile Joined September 2010
United States5797 Posts
April 30 2011 01:29 GMT
#28
On April 30 2011 08:56 tree.hugger wrote:
I should be clear; when I said "HuK was clearly the second best player in the group" I wasn't trying to say that he was the best overall, but I was saying that based on the play shown by all the players in his group, HuK's play, even in losses, was miles ahead of the absymal showing that InCa and Rain put out.

I'm aware that in an OSL or MSL format, HuK still needs to beat InCa. I'm aware that, given the match-up, this wouldn't be easy. But I'd rate HuK's chances in a PvP higher than Rain's chances to beat HuK, or InCa's chances to beat Rain.



I understand your point. But at is stands, Huk is now 0-3 vs Inca. Inca at least managed to beat rain, so he's 1-1 vs him as far as I know. (although, that game lolol)
w/e. It's not a huge deal
Known Aliases: Tyragon, Valeric ~MSL Forever, SKT is truly the Superior KT!
TheHova
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United Kingdom2612 Posts
April 30 2011 01:36 GMT
#29
Good write up as always, but when i read it i felt exactly the same as what people suggested. It feels like there's a bit of foreigner bias. I don't see how HuK was worthy of a B- from what i saw and have seen of him in the GSL so far.
andrea20
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada441 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-30 02:28:28
April 30 2011 01:59 GMT
#30
I had an issue with everything written about Clide. Clide never boasted he was the best in the world. That title was conferred upon him by Tastosis. Please do your research next time before writing untrue things, Divinek. In addition, your prose was in present tense when it should've been past tense like all the other writers.

And only 1 star to code S group H game 5? Really? It was only one of the most ridiculous comebacks in GSL history. Though the play on both sides was extremely flawed, it should get a higher rating just for entertainment alone. (Or 0 stars just to highlight its ridiculousness; see next paragraph)

Lastly, 0 stars shouldn't be given out so freely. I believe before this report there had only been 2 games given 0 stars. (One of them was San's game where he blocked his own natural with a cannon) 0 stars should only be used for the infamous; it almost has the same draw as a 5 star game simply because people are curious about seeing a complete trainwreck. Giving build-order or super-boring games 0 stars does that rating a disservice and should be 0.5 stars just to set them apart.
KevinIX
Profile Joined October 2009
United States2472 Posts
April 30 2011 02:00 GMT
#31
Although I disagree with half your player grades, it was a fun read.
Liquid FIGHTING!!!
Rarak
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia631 Posts
April 30 2011 02:41 GMT
#32
Wish there was less bias in the writeup.. huk rated second in the group despite losing both games? wtf results matter man, and he didnt win.

Also feel hongun, anypro etc get a much harder time than they should given that they are both better than Huk and have better results.
Goibon
Profile Joined May 2010
New Zealand8185 Posts
April 30 2011 02:53 GMT
#33
Fun write ups! Always love these. I could yell and cry about disagreements but no one cares not even me.

Would like to know how / if you managed to write the Wind v Supernova report while keeping a straight face. Impressive work.
Leenock =^_^= Ryung =^_^= Parting =^_^= herO =^_^= Guilty
kellymilkies
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Singapore1393 Posts
April 30 2011 03:29 GMT
#34
This is a good write. Good job! Great review~
Be the change you wish to see in the world ^-^V //
dcemuser
Profile Joined August 2010
United States3248 Posts
April 30 2011 03:42 GMT
#35
On April 30 2011 10:59 andrea20 wrote:
I had an issue with everything written about Clide. Clide never boasted he was the best in the world. That title was conferred upon him by Tastosis. Please do your research next time before writing untrue things, Divinek. In addition, your prose was in present tense when it should've been past tense like all the other writers.

And only 1 star to code S group H game 5? Really? It was only one of the most ridiculous comebacks in GSL history. Though the play on both sides was extremely flawed, it should get a higher rating just for entertainment alone. (Or 0 stars just to highlight its ridiculousness; see next paragraph)

Lastly, 0 stars shouldn't be given out so freely. I believe before this report there had only been 2 games given 0 stars. (One of them was San's game where he blocked his own natural with a cannon) 0 stars should only be used for the infamous; it almost has the same draw as a 5 star game simply because people are curious about seeing a complete trainwreck. Giving build-order or super-boring games 0 stars does that rating a disservice and should be 0.5 stars just to set them apart.


I agree very, very strongly with this.

When I see a No stars game, I immediately go and watch it. These games you list as No stars were just rushes, not anything like the first two.
bech
Profile Joined August 2010
Denmark162 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-30 03:44:28
April 30 2011 03:44 GMT
#36
... Don't tell me you didn't read that as masturbation..
XplayN.com - Danish SC2 news and events.
tree.hugger
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Philadelphia, PA10406 Posts
April 30 2011 03:57 GMT
#37
On April 30 2011 11:41 Rarak wrote:
Wish there was less bias in the writeup.. huk rated second in the group despite losing both games? wtf results matter man, and he didnt win.

Also feel hongun, anypro etc get a much harder time than they should given that they are both better than Huk and have better results.

Sometimes I have a feeling that people either haven't watched the games or haven't read what I've written, because this disconnect really shouldn't be happening.

On April 30 2011 12:42 dcemuser wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 30 2011 10:59 andrea20 wrote:
I had an issue with everything written about Clide. Clide never boasted he was the best in the world. That title was conferred upon him by Tastosis. Please do your research next time before writing untrue things, Divinek. In addition, your prose was in present tense when it should've been past tense like all the other writers.

And only 1 star to code S group H game 5? Really? It was only one of the most ridiculous comebacks in GSL history. Though the play on both sides was extremely flawed, it should get a higher rating just for entertainment alone. (Or 0 stars just to highlight its ridiculousness; see next paragraph)

Lastly, 0 stars shouldn't be given out so freely. I believe before this report there had only been 2 games given 0 stars. (One of them was San's game where he blocked his own natural with a cannon) 0 stars should only be used for the infamous; it almost has the same draw as a 5 star game simply because people are curious about seeing a complete trainwreck. Giving build-order or super-boring games 0 stars does that rating a disservice and should be 0.5 stars just to set them apart.


I agree very, very strongly with this.

When I see a No stars game, I immediately go and watch it. These games you list as No stars were just rushes, not anything like the first two.

I'm pretty sure I've handed out a solid majority of the No Stars ratings too. Clearly the definition has evolved, but I really couldn't stomach the idea of giving either of the games any kind of rating. I think your perspective is the better one though, No Rating should be more sparely given.

However, I'll defend the Rain vs InCa rating. A comeback implies one player did something to deserve the comeback. The only think InCa did to deserve that win was not press GG when he should've. That game was painful to watch. Nothing redeeming.
ModeratorEffOrt, Snow, GuMiho, and Team Liquid
TemplarCo.
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Mexico2870 Posts
April 30 2011 04:00 GMT
#38
Choya - F
Dear god (P)Choya got manhandled by Keen in this series, he let a nuke go off from a ghost that wasn't even cloaked
(T)Keen - A
Yes I gave him an A because he executed a successful nuke and for no other reason.

ROFL!!!

Now, being serious, When did Clide say he is the best player in the wolrd?? I missed it completely...
and also while the hate on InCa, what did he do??

Anyways, nice write-up, thanks!!
With an average game length of 7m36s over his 6 games in GSL3, this is a no-brainer. BitByBit pulls more SCVs than yo momma at a club on Mar Sara. ♞
Divinek
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Canada4045 Posts
April 30 2011 04:05 GMT
#39
On April 30 2011 13:00 TemplarCo. wrote:
Show nested quote +
Choya - F
Dear god (P)Choya got manhandled by Keen in this series, he let a nuke go off from a ghost that wasn't even cloaked
(T)Keen - A
Yes I gave him an A because he executed a successful nuke and for no other reason.

ROFL!!!

Now, being serious, When did Clide say he is the best player in the wolrd?? I missed it completely...
and also while the hate on InCa, what did he do??

Anyways, nice write-up, thanks!!


Clide self claims being the best player in the world by doing it in his play! It was just jokes that I was jabbing at clide, of course he never said I'm the best player ever. It's not like I quoted him or anything I was just trying to have a little fun with it.

I think I agree a little more with the sentiment of no stars, I gave no stars if I felt no one should ever watch those games. But using 0.5 or 1 for those makes more sense in retrospect and 0's should be reserved for really amazing/hilarious failures.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Oh goodness me, FOX tv where do you get your sight? Can't you keep track, the puck is black. That's why the ice is white.
BnK
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States538 Posts
April 30 2011 04:07 GMT
#40
On April 30 2011 07:50 ComusLoM wrote:
Dunno why but I read this as masturbation.


I thought it's only me :O
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings49
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 139
NeuroSwarm 86
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12397
Rain 2121
Artosis 597
Bale 16
League of Legends
Doublelift3984
Counter-Strike
taco 90
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox622
Mew2King214
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1015
Other Games
summit1g8853
shahzam711
Day[9].tv666
JimRising 504
PiGStarcraft282
C9.Mang0270
ArmadaUGS82
ViBE54
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV198
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream96
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 144
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP33
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv666
• Scarra600
• Shiphtur183
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
12h 17m
OSC
21h 17m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 9h
Online Event
1d 10h
FEL
1d 15h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 16h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 18h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.