• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:41
CEST 11:41
KST 18:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6477 users

TL Mafia LXIV: A Game of Intrigue - Page 17

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 114 Next
gumshoe
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada3602 Posts
January 11 2014 00:48 GMT
#321
On January 11 2014 09:42 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
So should we wait until we clear out all the lurkers (alignment non-indicative behavior) and people you don't like to actually try to draw out scum, would you pass on a scum lynch to remove a player you have a "hard" time reading, as though the rest of the town should frame their opinions around your perspective? And what is the policy exactly, does this fall under LAL or anything like that - or is this just your personal preference. Your personal preference is meaningless to me and should mean absolutely nothing to anybody.

We can deal with suspicious lurkers by threatening hammer. If I'm mayor, I will lynch my top scumread at the end of Day 1, no matter who it is. I do not care if it is Marv or BC, the most suspicious person at the end of Day 1 will be lynched. I will threaten hammer on anyone who is under significant suspicion in the thread and fails to respond to it. I will threaten immediate hammer until they adequately respond to all accusations, I will threaten hammer to lurkers who try to avoid the discussion. By properly utilizing votes and the pressure of a hammer, we can force people to play at the pace the town wants them to play at. That's all. I won't try to be a hero and hammer someone without announcing or first putting on adequate pressure and giving people a chance to defend themselves but I would not be afraid to use it if I suspect the mafia are making a serious effort to derail a lynch on bad logic.

Have you considered that your aggressive approach will stimy conversation day 1 ? I mean it might be ok for getting one guy to talk, but several other townies may quiver in the shadows at the thought of a scum mayor Dh jumping on something they say. Also on the one hand you say you'll threaten hammer on anyone, on the other you say you'll lynch the scummiest read... Assuming the second is your aim, do you expect people to still take your hammer puffing seriusly?

## vote the king you can keep in check.
gumshoe bullshitting at 120%~~Prplz
Xatalos
Profile Joined January 2011
Finland9675 Posts
January 11 2014 00:48 GMT
#322
On January 11 2014 09:43 gumshoe wrote:
I mean, I've played one scum game, and I was terrible in it, what's more my scum partner xatalos from that game is here, so he can even call me out if he sees any similar play XD

## vote the king you can keep in check.


Sadly I don't think you'd be a good choice even if you were confirmed town and wouldn't probably be going full AFK at some point :/
"The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself." - Sun Tzu
Koshi
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Belgium38799 Posts
January 11 2014 00:51 GMT
#323
I am totally going to vote for marv if he hits a 10 page filter on day 1 and claims that it is literally impossible for him to be scum.

Also, BH is totally scummy for not saying he will random the lynch when elected.
I had a good night of sleep.
justanothertownie
Profile Joined July 2013
16343 Posts
January 11 2014 00:51 GMT
#324
On January 11 2014 09:44 marvellosity wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 11 2014 09:43 justanothertownie wrote:
On January 11 2014 09:41 marvellosity wrote:
On January 11 2014 09:33 justanothertownie wrote:
On January 11 2014 09:10 Blazinghand wrote:
Make me mayor and I'll lynch kush d1.

/thread

Why don't you wait and see how he plays first? What's with all the people deciding to policy lynch that early in the game without even considering the play of the person in question...


Marv will you try to be elected?

I'll run for mayor if/when I find a candidate I want to lynch or I think town is going full on dumbo.

Keep in mind that the mayor has more power than deciding the Day1 lynch.

I'm well aware of the setup, twinkletoes

Just wanted to be sure.
gumshoe
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada3602 Posts
January 11 2014 00:53 GMT
#325
On January 11 2014 09:48 Xatalos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 11 2014 09:43 gumshoe wrote:
I mean, I've played one scum game, and I was terrible in it, what's more my scum partner xatalos from that game is here, so he can even call me out if he sees any similar play XD

## vote the king you can keep in check.


Sadly I don't think you'd be a good choice even if you were confirmed town and wouldn't probably be going full AFK at some point :/

Why not, I would allow town convo to flow, stimulating it trough questions not threats and then I'd kill the scummiest player, and would you really wanna invite a scum mayor just to get someone whose " good " at the job? Also can't tell if your joking here or if you actually have this low opinion of me that'd you'd rather hand the throne to scum if given the choice ) ; real cold xata. Or maybe you just scum.

## vote the king you can keep in check
gumshoe bullshitting at 120%~~Prplz
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
January 11 2014 00:58 GMT
#326
Is this a specific platform against Dr H, gummybear? :>
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
thrawn2112
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States6918 Posts
January 11 2014 00:58 GMT
#327
who do I vote for that will lynch hopeless?
"People think they know all these things about other people, and if you ask them why they think they know that, it'd be hard for them to be convincing." ES
Xatalos
Profile Joined January 2011
Finland9675 Posts
January 11 2014 01:02 GMT
#328
On January 11 2014 09:53 gumshoe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 11 2014 09:48 Xatalos wrote:
On January 11 2014 09:43 gumshoe wrote:
I mean, I've played one scum game, and I was terrible in it, what's more my scum partner xatalos from that game is here, so he can even call me out if he sees any similar play XD

## vote the king you can keep in check.


Sadly I don't think you'd be a good choice even if you were confirmed town and wouldn't probably be going full AFK at some point :/

Why not, I would allow town convo to flow, stimulating it trough questions not threats and then I'd kill the scummiest player, and would you really wanna invite a scum mayor just to get someone whose " good " at the job? Also can't tell if your joking here or if you actually have this low opinion of me that'd you'd rather hand the throne to scum if given the choice ) ; real cold xata. Or maybe you just scum.

## vote the king you can keep in check


I'm getting flashbacks from GoT Mafia because of this post... But maybe it means you're town? Although you were more antagonizing there.

Not making you Mayor doesn't equal making a scum Mayor. Even if you were confirmed town, you'd still probably be anti-town as a Mayor...
"The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself." - Sun Tzu
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
January 11 2014 01:05 GMT
#329
On January 11 2014 09:48 gumshoe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 11 2014 09:42 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
So should we wait until we clear out all the lurkers (alignment non-indicative behavior) and people you don't like to actually try to draw out scum, would you pass on a scum lynch to remove a player you have a "hard" time reading, as though the rest of the town should frame their opinions around your perspective? And what is the policy exactly, does this fall under LAL or anything like that - or is this just your personal preference. Your personal preference is meaningless to me and should mean absolutely nothing to anybody.

We can deal with suspicious lurkers by threatening hammer. If I'm mayor, I will lynch my top scumread at the end of Day 1, no matter who it is. I do not care if it is Marv or BC, the most suspicious person at the end of Day 1 will be lynched. I will threaten hammer on anyone who is under significant suspicion in the thread and fails to respond to it. I will threaten immediate hammer until they adequately respond to all accusations, I will threaten hammer to lurkers who try to avoid the discussion. By properly utilizing votes and the pressure of a hammer, we can force people to play at the pace the town wants them to play at. That's all. I won't try to be a hero and hammer someone without announcing or first putting on adequate pressure and giving people a chance to defend themselves but I would not be afraid to use it if I suspect the mafia are making a serious effort to derail a lynch on bad logic.

Have you considered that your aggressive approach will stimy conversation day 1 ? I mean it might be ok for getting one guy to talk, but several other townies may quiver in the shadows at the thought of a scum mayor Dh jumping on something they say. Also on the one hand you say you'll threaten hammer on anyone, on the other you say you'll lynch the scummiest read... Assuming the second is your aim, do you expect people to still take your hammer puffing seriusly?

## vote the king you can keep in check.

What's wrong with aggression? Think of the situation as being something like this:

Day 2
Majority of players find players A, B and C to be scummy
Players A and B defend themselves clearly while player C barely posts, or defends lightly and dodges certain questions/deflects certain points
Mayor threatens hammer on Player C if Player C does not adequately respond to the pressure/accusations.
This does not necessarily mean Player C is the top scumread, it means Player C is not allowed to dodge the pressure. If Player C continues to dodge the pressure or martyrs, it's highly likely that they are scum and would probably move to the top of anyone's scumreads barring something like a red DT check on A/B or a scumslip from another player.

One of the nice things about hammer games, is they are on going and the pressure is immediate and life or death, it is very difficult for scum to slip by if they try to simply remain passive. That is the sort of environment I believe the mayor should try to create.

If Player C does not totally satisfy me or the town with his defense, I would still vote at the end of the day for the player I find to be scummiest, unless I was alone in my read and unable to swing a lynch. So the priority would go something like this - as far as where I try to swing the bandwagon in the grand scheme of a day:
1. My top scumread
2. Player who does not respond adequately to pressure of hammer/thread in general
3. Town bandwagon that intersects with my personal scumreads

However the priority for where I use my vote to direct discussion would go as follows:
1. Scum accused players who I believe are scum and respond passively
2. Scum accused players who I believe are scum and respond actively
3. Reactionary scumreads, ones that develop naturally over the course of the day

If the thread remains active, arguments will be resolved quickly because there is no other option for a player who wants to survive. While a townie can see that all they have to do is answer questions and participate to avoid the immediate hammer, or banking on the fact that it could be a bluff, there's no reason for them not to do so. A mafia in this situation, even if they believe it's an empty threat, I think will respond either very aggressively under the pressure or try to delegitimize the hammer as a concept to continue being passive - dodging the accusations by forming new and irrelevant arguments about the mechanics of the game itself.

If the hammer threat draws out a scum, then I will drop it, but chances are it won't really be necessary if scum are revealed through this method anyway. But it's not an empty promise. I would drop the hammer if a scum is clearly revealed, agreed upon by a trustworthy circle of the town, and then there is a clear movement away from this lynch or an attempt at immediate misdirection.
RIP Aaliyah
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
January 11 2014 01:07 GMT
#330
And it's not about threats - the threat is meant to foster an atmosphere where questions are answered, you can't deflect and avoid when I can kill you instantly. It's that simple. I don't think that mafia want to be in that kind of scenario at all, a scum mayor would reveal himself immediately playing like this too because he would be forced to apply this policy to all players and if he starts picking and choosing which passive/unresponsive players get threatened that's a pretty bad look. A scum mayor doesn't want to play this aggressively because there's no way of him avoiding threatening a hammer on his own team mates. Which FORCES his teammates to get in further drawn out discussions/arguments regarding their own alignment. Not a good situation for mafia to be in imo.
RIP Aaliyah
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
January 11 2014 01:11 GMT
#331
in a funny game theory sort of way, it would make all your theoretical scumbuddies step up their game so as not to be on the receiving end of your ire ^_^

How do you think a mafia bigname would go about trying to clinch the mayoral spot, Dr H?
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
thrawn2112
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States6918 Posts
January 11 2014 01:12 GMT
#332
I'm a miller. (or butcher for this game) I crumbed it in my first post, those of you who played demon souls should be able to figure the crumb out. I crumbed first because I didn't know if I should claim.. I asked marv for advice and decided why not
"People think they know all these things about other people, and if you ask them why they think they know that, it'd be hard for them to be convincing." ES
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
January 11 2014 01:18 GMT
#333
On January 11 2014 10:11 marvellosity wrote:
in a funny game theory sort of way, it would make all your theoretical scumbuddies step up their game so as not to be on the receiving end of your ire ^_^

How do you think a mafia bigname would go about trying to clinch the mayoral spot, Dr H?

You can say that about anything but I think in most games mafia would want to avoid a high-pressure environment where mistakes/passivity are directly confronted and threatened. I've always maintained that lynching randomly into lurkers is a terrible idea because mafia can just direct the town sentiment toward lurkers that aren't on their own team while avoiding suspicion, in this case they wouldn't really be able to do that either. As town, I'd love to see scumbuddies step it up so as not to be on the receiving end of my threats, then they'd all be very visible in the thread.

I think a mafia mayor will go with some sort of platform that seems safe, bank on their veteran status if they have it, promise good scumhunting and then not follow through. Waste the actual benefits of the position itself.

This of course doesn't mean I'll be threatening to hammer anybody, this will go down on players already in the hotseat who do not defend themselves adequately or try to avoid arguments/certain questions.

Meaning if the overall case on Player A can be boiled down to six points and they only respond really to four of them, I would threaten hammer to force them to respond to the other two.
RIP Aaliyah
Xatalos
Profile Joined January 2011
Finland9675 Posts
January 11 2014 01:18 GMT
#334
Is it a reasonable strategy to fakeclaim Miller? I've never heard of that being done, but is it within the realms of possibility?
"The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself." - Sun Tzu
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
January 11 2014 01:19 GMT
#335
Yeah, it doesn't really mean anything at all.
RIP Aaliyah
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
January 11 2014 01:19 GMT
#336
the miller claim isn't worth discussing, it has nothing to do with what anyone should think of thrawn's alignment
RIP Aaliyah
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
January 11 2014 01:21 GMT
#337
On January 11 2014 10:18 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 11 2014 10:11 marvellosity wrote:
in a funny game theory sort of way, it would make all your theoretical scumbuddies step up their game so as not to be on the receiving end of your ire ^_^

How do you think a mafia bigname would go about trying to clinch the mayoral spot, Dr H?

You can say that about anything but I think in most games mafia would want to avoid a high-pressure environment where mistakes/passivity are directly confronted and threatened. I've always maintained that lynching randomly into lurkers is a terrible idea because mafia can just direct the town sentiment toward lurkers that aren't on their own team while avoiding suspicion, in this case they wouldn't really be able to do that either. As town, I'd love to see scumbuddies step it up so as not to be on the receiving end of my threats, then they'd all be very visible in the thread.

I think a mafia mayor will go with some sort of platform that seems safe, bank on their veteran status if they have it, promise good scumhunting and then not follow through. Waste the actual benefits of the position itself.

This of course doesn't mean I'll be threatening to hammer anybody, this will go down on players already in the hotseat who do not defend themselves adequately or try to avoid arguments/certain questions.

Meaning if the overall case on Player A can be boiled down to six points and they only respond really to four of them, I would threaten hammer to force them to respond to the other two.

Touché. I don't want anyone getting elected on a "generic" platform. If I advised town of anything, it would be to ignore blustery rhetoric about what a mayor would do, ignore fancy words, and just see if he's genuinely interested in finding mafia. The rest don't matter very much
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
thrawn2112
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States6918 Posts
January 11 2014 01:25 GMT
#338
On January 11 2014 10:18 Xatalos wrote:
Is it a reasonable strategy to fakeclaim Miller? I've never heard of that being done, but is it within the realms of possibility?


nope never happens
"People think they know all these things about other people, and if you ask them why they think they know that, it'd be hard for them to be convincing." ES
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
January 11 2014 01:28 GMT
#339
Of course scum could fakeclaim miller, and blablabla whatever. Proceed as normal, except thrawn has told us he's miller, that's the end of it.
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
Xatalos
Profile Joined January 2011
Finland9675 Posts
January 11 2014 01:30 GMT
#340
On January 11 2014 10:25 thrawn2112 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 11 2014 10:18 Xatalos wrote:
Is it a reasonable strategy to fakeclaim Miller? I've never heard of that being done, but is it within the realms of possibility?


nope never happens


lol

Btw DH, what happened to your vendetta on suchdoge?

Do you think you can read most of the players in this game well? Can you read BH or kush?
"The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself." - Sun Tzu
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 114 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 20m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 1400
Bisu 1040
Soma 503
hero 184
EffOrt 173
Pusan 114
HiyA 81
ZerO 59
soO 52
sorry 42
[ Show more ]
Killer 37
Shinee 33
Rush 30
Sharp 28
Mong 27
Bale 25
Terrorterran 11
Noble 10
JulyZerg 7
Stork 0
Dota 2
Gorgc297
Counter-Strike
edward87
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft772
crisheroes734
Other Games
gofns45696
olofmeister1183
singsing1173
ceh9539
Livibee209
Pyrionflax146
ArmadaUGS50
ZerO(Twitch)12
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick532
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream470
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 20
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH330
• StrangeGG 31
• LUISG 23
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2380
League of Legends
• Jankos1594
• Rush1383
• Stunt451
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
20m
Afreeca Starleague
20m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
14h 20m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 1h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.