• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:15
CEST 13:15
KST 20:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8978 users

Mafia Podcast! - Page 18

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 75 Next
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
March 15 2013 22:13 GMT
#341
Remember salem? Its bad when anyone does it - me included
RIP Aaliyah
ObliviousEyes
Profile Joined March 2013
United States57 Posts
March 15 2013 22:34 GMT
#342
Yeah say that now Doc, but I seem to recall someone calling me "bad" at the end of D1 for considering lynching Toadesstern, but suddenly thinking Toadesstern was some really great target after I fucking died...for the exact reasons I laid out on my posts. So whatever, you're not willing to call it what it is, "VE isn't worth my time trying to figure out", and I'm trying to tell you that's what it is and you're arguing with me about it.

What I do isn't spam. I interact. There's a fucking difference.
From the shadows I come...
Promethelax
Profile Joined February 2012
Canada7089 Posts
March 15 2013 23:20 GMT
#343
On March 16 2013 05:30 VisceraEyes wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2013 05:09 DrParnassus wrote:
eh, here's what i meant about the "dissenting opinions" comment.

right now, the cast could easily be named: "The Ivory Tower Circle-Jerk of TLMafia Where We Call Everyone That Isn't Us a Noob"

i'm not trying to be rude, it was entertaining and all, but that's just what I think


DocH's style of commenting on others comes across the microphone the same way it comes across in posts - preachy, scoldy and arrogant. No offense Doc, it's just the way you present your argument. "You just don't do that because that's just not what you do. I don't like it, so stop it because just don't."

Your love of the game is explicit, but no one likes to feel like they're just not good enough, and that's how you make people feel speaking to/about them. Just something to consider. You're reaching out to people who want to improve their play. Don't push them away unwittingly because of your attitude.


I feel this docH post sums up a good deal of his character.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=106212&currentpage=5#84
read the OP. Read Doc's post.
The good doctor is right in every point he makes but it is slightly condesending because to make the point to people whoare fucking dumb he talks to them like they are fucking dumb. He is right. But comes across as more of a dick than he needs to be while still saying something I totally agree with and wish I could have said as well as he said it.

(disclaimer: I haven't listened to the podcast)
TL Mafia. Love it. Play it. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31 I find Kennigit really attractive. If anyone has a picture of him please feel free to PM it to me.
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
March 16 2013 00:02 GMT
#344
The fact that you immediately get this aggressive is why iys hard for me to have productive discourse with you in a game. It is bad for me not to read certain players because of how they play, and I think I even admitted that was a problem in my game and that I'm trying in general to be nicer. We both get heated playing mafia. You express yourself by posting a lot, I express that by being really catty in the moment but you're obviously a good player.

Is there any way I can say that I don't think the volume of your posts is a good thing and not offend you? I still think you post too much and too emotionally. How is that arrogant to say?
RIP Aaliyah
VisceraEyes
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States21171 Posts
March 16 2013 00:18 GMT
#345
Skipping my posts because of their perceived "worth at a glance" is what is arrogance. "Post not >2 sentences...not worth my time". I am incensed because you say one thing, but feel another. For example, you say "you're obviously a good player" but the fact that you skip over my posts CLEARLY illustrates that you don't think that's the case at all.

LX. This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. I spent the latter part of D1 WRESTLING with myself over whether I should lynch obvScum Prom or MAYBE scum Toadesstern. Yet because you had no interest in reading "fucking newb VE's" posts, you had no idea even what my CONTENTION was with him. Evidenced by the fact that you stated that my desire to lynch Toad meant that I'm "a bad player" who is "likely to do something stupid".

What happened the next day? Suddenly you reread Toadesstern and come to the EXACT SAME conclusion that I had at the time....except what do you do? YOU TRY TO GET HIM LYNCHED! Take a look at my LAST post of that game Doc. I SPECIFICALLY said DO NOT lynch Toadesstern. SPECIFICALLY. I said "Make him tell you his alignment". You did not. You read the posts I read, came to the conclusion I did, and never looked at my posts again, even after I died N1.

So to answer your question (which is, incidentally, not even what I was saying), it's not arrogant for you to say that I post too much and too emotionally. However, I think you'll find if you'd read my posts that I don't post the way you think I post NEARLY as often as you think I do. It's arrogant to think that you're right, while you admit that you skip over my posts. THAT is arrogance. And THAT is my problem here.

What is amazing about this whole thing is: I DON'T EVEN FUCKING CARE WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT ME!!! DocH I KNOW that I'm good at this game. I've played SO MANY games of Mafia that I can't even count them. I tried to bring up a constructive criticism of what I perceived in the podcast - something that if you change, would make it not only more palatable for the intended audience, but more enjoyable for everyone in general - and rather than take it, say thanks and move along I get excuses, argument and now justification.
if I had to describe his playstyle, it'd be a coked up rabbit with the attention of a goldfish injecting caffeine into himself directly through an IV drip. it's like a reel of random animated shorts where things just blow up randomly
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
March 16 2013 00:19 GMT
#346
I don't actually think you're bad
RIP Aaliyah
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
March 16 2013 00:20 GMT
#347
And I agree its a big problem for me to do that so it should be less and less of an issue between us
RIP Aaliyah
VisceraEyes
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States21171 Posts
March 16 2013 00:24 GMT
#348
That remains to be seen. Thanks for saying you don't actually think I'm bad. Believe it or not, that actually means something to me coming from you.
if I had to describe his playstyle, it'd be a coked up rabbit with the attention of a goldfish injecting caffeine into himself directly through an IV drip. it's like a reel of random animated shorts where things just blow up randomly
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
March 16 2013 00:28 GMT
#349
Im just trying to find a better way to push people away from the oneliners and emotion because I think its counterproductive. Aside from that flaw youre obviously a good player. I feel strongly about that style because I am the most prolific spammer ever to play (in past games) and it always hurt me as town.
RIP Aaliyah
VisceraEyes
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States21171 Posts
March 16 2013 00:32 GMT
#350
It's suited me just fine.
if I had to describe his playstyle, it'd be a coked up rabbit with the attention of a goldfish injecting caffeine into himself directly through an IV drip. it's like a reel of random animated shorts where things just blow up randomly
DoYouHas
Profile Joined November 2008
United States1140 Posts
March 16 2013 00:43 GMT
#351
Different strokes for different folks. There has to be some common ground, but that hasn't been a problem in the last couple games I played/co-hosted (admittedly that was a while ago). Having unique personalities working through a game is one of the easiest ways for me to track the flow of a game.

As long as the people on the cast keep getting shuffled I think we are going to hear a lot of strong differing opinions on 'PlayerA's playstyle' and that is great. Getting insight into the preferences and reasons vet's have for liking or disliking a player is important.
Guts? Determination? $5?
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
March 16 2013 00:51 GMT
#352
i think we can summarize VE's position as "I respect you greatly and like you a great deal, and wish you could express your respect and admiration for me a bit better, as we are such good friends"
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
March 16 2013 02:03 GMT
#353
If you guys want to do this again next week I will be available.

I know most people may not think me the best player but the way I the learned to play the game is really organic and it might offer a decent perspective.
Writer@WriterYamato
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
March 16 2013 02:05 GMT
#354
Well it looks like I'll likely be hosting this next week.

Are there any suggestions for the 2nd topic? I know VE wanted to do Nomination Mini, but that's all I've heard.
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
March 16 2013 02:06 GMT
#355
Nomination is a great game to talk about.
Writer@WriterYamato
layabout
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United Kingdom2600 Posts
March 16 2013 05:24 GMT
#356
Possible topics for discussion:
  • The evolution of TL meta: Old Towns vs New Towns
  • The effects of player reputation
  • Players being primarily good at playing scum or town: Is it possible to be both and how much more effort would it take?
  • Perhaps the focus of a cast could be on an old game rather than a recent one since you have more to pick from and the nostalgia tends to make it more enjoyable to talk about these games and of course better to listen to.
Be the Best You Can Be ! Play MAFIA II http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/mafia/ II Dragonsound Best Band
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
March 16 2013 05:52 GMT
#357
I don't know much about old games or old towns, but I can talk a lot about player reputation and its effect on games.

Shit, LVIII is the perfect example of this. Also, Personality 2 if it ends could be very good to reference the effect of reputations.
Writer@WriterYamato
NewbieXXXI_ObsQT
Profile Joined March 2013
183 Posts
March 16 2013 05:57 GMT
#358
I like the player-reputation stuff a lot - that's definetely going to be on for the next one.

As for "nostalgia games," I'm not too thrilled about that because it limits accessibility towards newer players and those who weren't involved in the game. Specific examples are fine, but I'm hesitant to devote a significant segment towards a game that a good portion of listeners don't know about.
The two man power trip.
layabout
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United Kingdom2600 Posts
March 16 2013 06:08 GMT
#359
On March 16 2013 14:57 NewbieXXXI_ObsQT wrote:
I like the player-reputation stuff a lot - that's definetely going to be on for the next one.

As for "nostalgia games," I'm not too thrilled about that because it limits accessibility towards newer players and those who weren't involved in the game. Specific examples are fine, but I'm hesitant to devote a significant segment towards a game that a good portion of listeners don't know about.

Maybe but i was thinking the casters could give like an overview of the game and discuss key moments and turning points. It would also mean talking about games in which players who are now considered "vets" by many were still learning the game and would be less alienating because of this.

But how many people know all about LX anyway?
It had 25 players, hosts and a few observers but the thread was pretty long i doubt more than a few dozen have extensive game knowledge. Even then in that cast the people in the game still made quite a few errors about what actually happened.

If you decide beforehand to talk about a game it might help to read over it a bit. Perhaps that could make it too much work to do this for an older game since it would require more time to be able to discuss properly.
Be the Best You Can Be ! Play MAFIA II http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/mafia/ II Dragonsound Best Band
NewbieXXXI_ObsQT
Profile Joined March 2013
183 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-16 06:14:36
March 16 2013 06:11 GMT
#360
On March 16 2013 15:08 layabout wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2013 14:57 NewbieXXXI_ObsQT wrote:
I like the player-reputation stuff a lot - that's definetely going to be on for the next one.

As for "nostalgia games," I'm not too thrilled about that because it limits accessibility towards newer players and those who weren't involved in the game. Specific examples are fine, but I'm hesitant to devote a significant segment towards a game that a good portion of listeners don't know about.

Maybe but i was thinking the casters could give like an overview of the game and discuss key moments and turning points. It would also mean talking about games in which players who are now considered "vets" by many were still learning the game and would be less alienating because of this.

But how many people know all about LX anyway?
It had 25 players, hosts and a few observers but the thread was pretty long i doubt more than a few dozen have extensive game knowledge. Even then in that cast the people in the game still made quite a few errors about what actually happened.

If you decide beforehand to talk about a game it might help to read over it a bit. Perhaps that could make it too much work to do this for an older game since it would require more time to be able to discuss properly.


Well the thing with current games is that a decent amount of people tend to observe them or lightly follow them. Also I don't want to make newer members of the community have to go back and read a 100+ page game to understand something from the podcast.

EDIT: It's just an accessibility issue. Going over a current game is going to appeal to many more players than a "nostalgia" game for the indulgement of a couple of vets.
The two man power trip.
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
IntoTheiNu 654
WardiTV218
LiquipediaDiscussion
Afreeca Starleague
19:00
Ro4 Match 2
Soma vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 11902
StarCastTV_EN365
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko274
ProTech130
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 14019
Bisu 3836
Jaedong 3580
EffOrt 1139
BeSt 892
ZerO 446
Horang2 436
Pusan 263
Larva 240
actioN 232
[ Show more ]
Zeus 222
Hyun 139
Mind 133
Barracks 87
ggaemo 71
Killer 47
scan(afreeca) 44
Sharp 43
NotJumperer 38
Bale 35
ToSsGirL 34
Shinee 30
Sacsri 21
Hm[arnc] 21
Sea.KH 15
Terrorterran 13
Noble 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
zelot 5
Dota 2
Dendi116
League of Legends
JimRising 331
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1649
byalli776
Other Games
crisheroes247
Pyrionflax175
dupreeh101
Mew2King68
DeMusliM58
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 183
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream58
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 62
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV538
• lizZardDota2282
League of Legends
• Jankos1299
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
12h 45m
Patches Events
1d 4h
The PondCast
1d 22h
INu's Battles
1d 23h
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.