• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:51
CEST 14:51
KST 21:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)42Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9415 users

TL Mafia XXXVIII - Page 20

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 179 Next
aidnai
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1159 Posts
April 09 2011 19:57 GMT
#381
Kav, it seems like you're overemphasizing the mayor. I thought bum was a great mayor last game btw, except for the night actions thing of course. But if you're saying the mayor has to be perfect, where are we gonna find that? why put all that weight on one player?

I like BC's model of several townie cells better, but that kinda relies on PMs unfortunately.

I am OK with inactivity/lurker lynch day 1, but with several new players this game, I think we have a great shot at some imba scumtell lynches, possibly even day 1. It's too early to be throwing around FoSes, but two of our new posters have already got my eyebrows raised...
chaoser
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States5541 Posts
April 09 2011 19:59 GMT
#382
I know you aren't arguing for that, but I think that if we choose a mayor his scumhunting/analysis skills should be the first reason we choose him and his leadership the second.


So you're saying we should choose Coag for the mayor position? He has decent scumhunting, shooting both the GF and Underboss.

I dont think I fully agree with you Kav, leadership is vital, but I'd much rather have a strong analyst than a strong leader who is just wrong.


We just recently talked about how the most important thing for a leader to have is to be able to convince others, not to just blindly scumhunt and then say HE IS SCUM I JUST KNOW IT. I think if you're a good analyst, you're bound to be a good leader because a good analyst is someone who can write convincing arguments and thus lead. This argument about good analyst vs good leader is a nonargument since a good analyst should also be a good leader.

I'm more worried about second place. Seeing as how this allows someone to get BG protection and also know who the BGs are, reds and blacks will all be gunning to run for mayor. At the least they can get second place and get the names of the BG, which is all that the mafia needs to worry about in the case of a strong townie winning the mayor election. We should put pressure on anyone who will be running for the mayor campaign and obviously townies should pull out of the race if they feel someone else would make a better mayor than them. This way we get a small list of mayor campaigners and if red or black DID run then it's easy to find them.

Also, in regards to the assassins, I think we SHOULD apply pressure on one if we find one. We can offer them a deal for protection/DT powers in return for getting to direct one of their 3 KPs. That way they get some help and we get some help.
Haven't you heard? I'm not an ex-progamer. I'm not a poker player. I'm not an admin of the site. I'm mother fucking Rekrul.
aidnai
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1159 Posts
April 09 2011 19:59 GMT
#383
EBWOP: Damn, DrH with the pre-game tunnel! love it!

Did you join the campaign to off Kavdragon day1? I must not have been looking when you did, but welcome to the club! XD
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
April 09 2011 20:00 GMT
#384
On April 10 2011 04:57 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2011 03:15 GMarshal wrote:
On April 10 2011 03:02 kitaman27 wrote:
On April 10 2011 02:44 TranceStorm wrote:
Furthermore, since the pardoner/mayor knows who the bodyguards are, meaning that the mafia could hit those roles easier.


This part gives the mafia more incentive to run as mayor than usual. The last thing they want is two town running around causing trouble, with no way to kill them. The fact that they are rewarded for running, but coming in second also gives them a nice bonus. The pardon ability is an awesome way to completely derail town focus when mafia is in a tough spot. I would feel real unwary having a pardoner around late game if I wasn't sure of his alignment.


This means we should focus our attentions on people who run and on really analyzing the hell out of our mayor/pardoner. Also I think that the mayor's power is being understated, he has a triple vote, in the hands of scum that would be lethally dangerous, bringing lylo much, much closer than it should be. Personally I think we should only vote for players we think are probably town, because the idea of having one or both of those power roles in the hands of the mafia is pretty worrying.

So yeah, let me state the obvious, make damn sure you are voting for pro town players, as these roles are pretty damn powerful.



what happens if the mafia doesn't run


Then its a win/win situation for us, mafia just gave up a shot at two really, really useful roles. I'm having a hard time envisioning a scenario where the scumteam dosn't run for mayorship. If for nothing else, if they get a guy up there he is DT proof for a while and they get the names of the BGs


Moderator
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
April 09 2011 20:01 GMT
#385
On April 10 2011 05:00 GMarshal wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2011 04:57 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
On April 10 2011 03:15 GMarshal wrote:
On April 10 2011 03:02 kitaman27 wrote:
On April 10 2011 02:44 TranceStorm wrote:
Furthermore, since the pardoner/mayor knows who the bodyguards are, meaning that the mafia could hit those roles easier.


This part gives the mafia more incentive to run as mayor than usual. The last thing they want is two town running around causing trouble, with no way to kill them. The fact that they are rewarded for running, but coming in second also gives them a nice bonus. The pardon ability is an awesome way to completely derail town focus when mafia is in a tough spot. I would feel real unwary having a pardoner around late game if I wasn't sure of his alignment.


This means we should focus our attentions on people who run and on really analyzing the hell out of our mayor/pardoner. Also I think that the mayor's power is being understated, he has a triple vote, in the hands of scum that would be lethally dangerous, bringing lylo much, much closer than it should be. Personally I think we should only vote for players we think are probably town, because the idea of having one or both of those power roles in the hands of the mafia is pretty worrying.

So yeah, let me state the obvious, make damn sure you are voting for pro town players, as these roles are pretty damn powerful.



what happens if the mafia doesn't run


Then its a win/win situation for us, mafia just gave up a shot at two really, really useful roles. I'm having a hard time envisioning a scenario where the scumteam dosn't run for mayorship. If for nothing else, if they get a guy up there he is DT proof for a while and they get the names of the BGs



and it's a lose situation if they tunnel lynches onto all the mayoral candidates using the exact same argument you just used
RIP Aaliyah
Kavdragon
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States1251 Posts
April 09 2011 20:01 GMT
#386
On April 10 2011 04:57 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2011 03:15 GMarshal wrote:
On April 10 2011 03:02 kitaman27 wrote:
On April 10 2011 02:44 TranceStorm wrote:
Furthermore, since the pardoner/mayor knows who the bodyguards are, meaning that the mafia could hit those roles easier.


This part gives the mafia more incentive to run as mayor than usual. The last thing they want is two town running around causing trouble, with no way to kill them. The fact that they are rewarded for running, but coming in second also gives them a nice bonus. The pardon ability is an awesome way to completely derail town focus when mafia is in a tough spot. I would feel real unwary having a pardoner around late game if I wasn't sure of his alignment.


This means we should focus our attentions on people who run and on really analyzing the hell out of our mayor/pardoner. Also I think that the mayor's power is being understated, he has a triple vote, in the hands of scum that would be lethally dangerous, bringing lylo much, much closer than it should be. Personally I think we should only vote for players we think are probably town, because the idea of having one or both of those power roles in the hands of the mafia is pretty worrying.

So yeah, let me state the obvious, make damn sure you are voting for pro town players, as these roles are pretty damn powerful.



what happens if the mafia doesn't run


Then we have a bunch of analysis that says "soandso" is town. Confirming townies is very useful as well.

You seem to be working hard to put down my efforts, but the only thing I see you doing is encouraging spam, an putting down others. Why don't you put forth any of your ideas?
I'm currently on an indefinite hiatus from TL =(
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
April 09 2011 20:04 GMT
#387
On April 10 2011 05:01 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2011 05:00 GMarshal wrote:
On April 10 2011 04:57 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
On April 10 2011 03:15 GMarshal wrote:
On April 10 2011 03:02 kitaman27 wrote:
On April 10 2011 02:44 TranceStorm wrote:
Furthermore, since the pardoner/mayor knows who the bodyguards are, meaning that the mafia could hit those roles easier.


This part gives the mafia more incentive to run as mayor than usual. The last thing they want is two town running around causing trouble, with no way to kill them. The fact that they are rewarded for running, but coming in second also gives them a nice bonus. The pardon ability is an awesome way to completely derail town focus when mafia is in a tough spot. I would feel real unwary having a pardoner around late game if I wasn't sure of his alignment.


This means we should focus our attentions on people who run and on really analyzing the hell out of our mayor/pardoner. Also I think that the mayor's power is being understated, he has a triple vote, in the hands of scum that would be lethally dangerous, bringing lylo much, much closer than it should be. Personally I think we should only vote for players we think are probably town, because the idea of having one or both of those power roles in the hands of the mafia is pretty worrying.

So yeah, let me state the obvious, make damn sure you are voting for pro town players, as these roles are pretty damn powerful.



what happens if the mafia doesn't run


Then its a win/win situation for us, mafia just gave up a shot at two really, really useful roles. I'm having a hard time envisioning a scenario where the scumteam dosn't run for mayorship. If for nothing else, if they get a guy up there he is DT proof for a while and they get the names of the BGs



and it's a lose situation if they tunnel lynches onto all the mayoral candidates using the exact same argument you just used


They can only tunnel lynches if the town lets them tunnel lynches. I personally will be scrutinizing the mayoral candidates first, but that in no way shape or forms means that I will *only* look at them, or that I will refuse to consider anything else.

Either way, you make a decent point, we should not focus exclusively on people who run for mayor as lynch targets, but I dont see the harm on giving them some extra scrutiny, at the very least the knowledge that they will be under the magnifying should make scum and assassins think twice about running
Moderator
chaoser
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States5541 Posts
April 09 2011 20:05 GMT
#388
On April 10 2011 04:57 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
what happens if the mafia doesn't run


Then all the better. The statement is said to scare mafia not to do stuff. We put the fear of it in front of them and they'll think twice about it. Though I doubt in this game not a single mafia will run. Being pardoner is too juicy a role to get that's relatively easy to get. In XXXVII even LSB posting the list of people by ranking scared me enough not to kill off everyone in tier 2. Obviously I was playing way too safe since all I wanted to do is get to LYLO and use my "townieness" but the same thing applies here. My bluff in insane led to much WIFOM for Kav and in the end iGrok's posts pushed him to call my bluff but if he didn't then I would have pulled way ahead.
Haven't you heard? I'm not an ex-progamer. I'm not a poker player. I'm not an admin of the site. I'm mother fucking Rekrul.
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
April 09 2011 20:07 GMT
#389
On April 10 2011 05:01 Kavdragon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2011 04:57 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
On April 10 2011 03:15 GMarshal wrote:
On April 10 2011 03:02 kitaman27 wrote:
On April 10 2011 02:44 TranceStorm wrote:
Furthermore, since the pardoner/mayor knows who the bodyguards are, meaning that the mafia could hit those roles easier.


This part gives the mafia more incentive to run as mayor than usual. The last thing they want is two town running around causing trouble, with no way to kill them. The fact that they are rewarded for running, but coming in second also gives them a nice bonus. The pardon ability is an awesome way to completely derail town focus when mafia is in a tough spot. I would feel real unwary having a pardoner around late game if I wasn't sure of his alignment.


This means we should focus our attentions on people who run and on really analyzing the hell out of our mayor/pardoner. Also I think that the mayor's power is being understated, he has a triple vote, in the hands of scum that would be lethally dangerous, bringing lylo much, much closer than it should be. Personally I think we should only vote for players we think are probably town, because the idea of having one or both of those power roles in the hands of the mafia is pretty worrying.

So yeah, let me state the obvious, make damn sure you are voting for pro town players, as these roles are pretty damn powerful.



what happens if the mafia doesn't run


Then we have a bunch of analysis that says "soandso" is town. Confirming townies is very useful as well.

You seem to be working hard to put down my efforts, but the only thing I see you doing is encouraging spam, an putting down others. Why don't you put forth any of your ideas?

because i dont feel the need to write paragraphs about useless shit saying basically:
1. the mayor is important!
2. the pardoner is also important
3. be careful who you vote for!
4. mafia may or may not run for mayor!
5. we should pressure inactive people!

this is all obvious stuff. no one has said anything of value yet and because the game hasn't even started I haven't taken the time to scrutinize the game setup and come up with a plan for how I'm going to play this game or where I think the town should go. but that doesn't mean i can't smell your "look at me and how townie i'm acting!" bs right away
RIP Aaliyah
kitaman27 *
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States9245 Posts
April 09 2011 20:10 GMT
#390
On April 10 2011 05:07 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2011 05:01 Kavdragon wrote:
On April 10 2011 04:57 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
On April 10 2011 03:15 GMarshal wrote:
On April 10 2011 03:02 kitaman27 wrote:
On April 10 2011 02:44 TranceStorm wrote:
Furthermore, since the pardoner/mayor knows who the bodyguards are, meaning that the mafia could hit those roles easier.


This part gives the mafia more incentive to run as mayor than usual. The last thing they want is two town running around causing trouble, with no way to kill them. The fact that they are rewarded for running, but coming in second also gives them a nice bonus. The pardon ability is an awesome way to completely derail town focus when mafia is in a tough spot. I would feel real unwary having a pardoner around late game if I wasn't sure of his alignment.


This means we should focus our attentions on people who run and on really analyzing the hell out of our mayor/pardoner. Also I think that the mayor's power is being understated, he has a triple vote, in the hands of scum that would be lethally dangerous, bringing lylo much, much closer than it should be. Personally I think we should only vote for players we think are probably town, because the idea of having one or both of those power roles in the hands of the mafia is pretty worrying.

So yeah, let me state the obvious, make damn sure you are voting for pro town players, as these roles are pretty damn powerful.



what happens if the mafia doesn't run


Then we have a bunch of analysis that says "soandso" is town. Confirming townies is very useful as well.

You seem to be working hard to put down my efforts, but the only thing I see you doing is encouraging spam, an putting down others. Why don't you put forth any of your ideas?

because i dont feel the need to write paragraphs about useless shit saying basically:
1. the mayor is important!
2. the pardoner is also important
3. be careful who you vote for!
4. mafia may or may not run for mayor!
5. we should pressure inactive people!

this is all obvious stuff. no one has said anything of value yet and because the game hasn't even started I haven't taken the time to scrutinize the game setup and come up with a plan for how I'm going to play this game or where I think the town should go. but that doesn't mean i can't smell your "look at me and how townie i'm acting!" bs right away


On April 09 2011 07:39 kitaman27 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2011 07:38 Kavdragon wrote:
EBWODP: And on that note, I leave this spam fest to those who want to join my FoS list.

If the all feature is gone by day two, i will be very, very, unhappy.


^^Trying too hard to be pro-town night 0.


DrH mimicking my post. Probably scum buddies.
I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I... I can't compete with that stuff.
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
April 09 2011 20:10 GMT
#391
On April 10 2011 05:05 chaoser wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2011 04:57 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
what happens if the mafia doesn't run


Then all the better. The statement is said to scare mafia not to do stuff. We put the fear of it in front of them and they'll think twice about it. Though I doubt in this game not a single mafia will run. Being pardoner is too juicy a role to get that's relatively easy to get. In XXXVII even LSB posting the list of people by ranking scared me enough not to kill off everyone in tier 2. Obviously I was playing way too safe since all I wanted to do is get to LYLO and use my "townieness" but the same thing applies here. My bluff in insane led to much WIFOM for Kav and in the end iGrok's posts pushed him to call my bluff but if he didn't then I would have pulled way ahead.

idk honestly if im mafia im thinking

"lets not run and then try to keep all the pressure on the people who ran for mayor for a few days while we wreak havoc."

even if a few lynches don't go that way, it's pretty easy to keep attention on the mayoral/pardoner candidates since they usually post a lot in the beginning and townies who post a lot are likely to contradict themselves at least once so imo the mayor powers are not nearly as strong as the power to manipulate the towns focus by any means necessary

that's just my take on it
RIP Aaliyah
chaoser
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States5541 Posts
April 09 2011 20:17 GMT
#392
Well I do understand where that thinking is coming from, I think mayor having 3 vote powers is fucking huge and way stronger than some perceived power to manipulate town. It's basically the ability to make 4 people have to change votes to get someone else lynched (3 to tie, 1 to push lynch into the lead). Also by having someone who is a good leader+analyst can keep the rampant fingering throwing down to a minimum. I think at most we'll spend day 2 looking at the candidates and once that's passed we can, as town, consciously focus on post-by-post analysis and not fall into the trap that happened in insane mafia which was just gut hunting with almost 0 percent analysis.
Haven't you heard? I'm not an ex-progamer. I'm not a poker player. I'm not an admin of the site. I'm mother fucking Rekrul.
Incognito
Profile Joined November 2008
United States2071 Posts
April 09 2011 20:17 GMT
#393
Hmm never mind this thing already looks like its going full steam.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
April 09 2011 20:20 GMT
#394
On April 10 2011 05:17 chaoser wrote:
Well I do understand where that thinking is coming from, I think mayor having 3 vote powers is fucking huge and way stronger than some perceived power to manipulate town. It's basically the ability to make 4 people have to change votes to get someone else lynched (3 to tie, 1 to push lynch into the lead). Also by having someone who is a good leader+analyst can keep the rampant fingering throwing down to a minimum. I think at most we'll spend day 2 looking at the candidates and once that's passed we can, as town, consciously focus on post-by-post analysis and not fall into the trap that happened in insane mafia which was just gut hunting with almost 0 percent analysis.


Yeah but there is a trade off. IT isn't all just numbers.

If mafia wins mayor:
1. invites 10x more scrutiny onto himself
2. can't really use the power however he wants, his votes will be 10x scrutinized

basically all it is, is a potential for a faster LYLO. the mayor can really only abuse his vote power if the mafia is great at splitting bandwagons and if the mayor uses his votes to save somebody, you better bet they're both in the hotseat
RIP Aaliyah
chaoser
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States5541 Posts
April 09 2011 20:28 GMT
#395
On April 10 2011 05:20 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
basically all it is, is a potential for a faster LYLO. the mayor can really only abuse his vote power if the mafia is great at splitting bandwagons and if the mayor uses his votes to save somebody, you better bet they're both in the hotseat


Yeah so sorry, what are we arguing over again lol? Seems like all we're doing is talking about the inherent risks of the mayor campaign and the end conclusion is that we should vote mayor is town, a mafia mayor needs to play well or he will be discovered. I figure only good players are going to be running, and in serious contention, for the mayor spot anyway. I doubt the mafia team will send in someone that they don't think can handle the pressure if there is any.

Is your main point that we shouldn't focus on the mayor candidates after the mayor has been selected because mafia can just not run and then make us focus on them unnecessarily? Then can't mafia also run and then say we shouldn't focus on the mayor candidates since mafia could have not run and so on? It's a big WIFOM that really leads nowhere except to create a WIFOM conversation topic that people will come into arguing about basically nothing since both sides are possible.

That being said, I'd rather be safe and look at the mayor candidates for at least Day 2. To not look at them would be absurd and bad play. If we sniff out anyone, all the better. If not, we place them on the back burner and if something does come up at a later day then we come back to it.
Haven't you heard? I'm not an ex-progamer. I'm not a poker player. I'm not an admin of the site. I'm mother fucking Rekrul.
chaoser
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States5541 Posts
April 09 2011 20:33 GMT
#396
Is your main point that we shouldn't focus on the mayor candidates after the mayor has been selected because mafia can just not run and then make us focus on them unnecessarily?


Also, it's relatively easy to see when focus on someone unnecessarily is being done by someone else. That leads to a FoS on the person doing it if it happens and if the person lynched flips green then there's huge pressure on the person who did a shitty case of tunneling/gut read/bad logic on the green townie that just got lynched.
Haven't you heard? I'm not an ex-progamer. I'm not a poker player. I'm not an admin of the site. I'm mother fucking Rekrul.
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
April 09 2011 20:42 GMT
#397
On April 10 2011 05:28 chaoser wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2011 05:20 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
basically all it is, is a potential for a faster LYLO. the mayor can really only abuse his vote power if the mafia is great at splitting bandwagons and if the mayor uses his votes to save somebody, you better bet they're both in the hotseat


Yeah so sorry, what are we arguing over again lol? Seems like all we're doing is talking about the inherent risks of the mayor campaign and the end conclusion is that we should vote mayor is town, a mafia mayor needs to play well or he will be discovered. I figure only good players are going to be running, and in serious contention, for the mayor spot anyway. I doubt the mafia team will send in someone that they don't think can handle the pressure if there is any.

Is your main point that we shouldn't focus on the mayor candidates after the mayor has been selected because mafia can just not run and then make us focus on them unnecessarily? Then can't mafia also run and then say we shouldn't focus on the mayor candidates since mafia could have not run and so on? It's a big WIFOM that really leads nowhere except to create a WIFOM conversation topic that people will come into arguing about basically nothing since both sides are possible.

That being said, I'd rather be safe and look at the mayor candidates for at least Day 2. To not look at them would be absurd and bad play. If we sniff out anyone, all the better. If not, we place them on the back burner and if something does come up at a later day then we come back to it.


yeah that would be absurd not to look at them but if we're still arguing about mayor candidates on day 3 then something bad has happened and it's probably because the mafia wanted it to happen

i can basically agree with what you said here
RIP Aaliyah
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
April 09 2011 20:45 GMT
#398
On April 10 2011 05:42 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2011 05:28 chaoser wrote:
On April 10 2011 05:20 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
basically all it is, is a potential for a faster LYLO. the mayor can really only abuse his vote power if the mafia is great at splitting bandwagons and if the mayor uses his votes to save somebody, you better bet they're both in the hotseat


Yeah so sorry, what are we arguing over again lol? Seems like all we're doing is talking about the inherent risks of the mayor campaign and the end conclusion is that we should vote mayor is town, a mafia mayor needs to play well or he will be discovered. I figure only good players are going to be running, and in serious contention, for the mayor spot anyway. I doubt the mafia team will send in someone that they don't think can handle the pressure if there is any.

Is your main point that we shouldn't focus on the mayor candidates after the mayor has been selected because mafia can just not run and then make us focus on them unnecessarily? Then can't mafia also run and then say we shouldn't focus on the mayor candidates since mafia could have not run and so on? It's a big WIFOM that really leads nowhere except to create a WIFOM conversation topic that people will come into arguing about basically nothing since both sides are possible.

That being said, I'd rather be safe and look at the mayor candidates for at least Day 2. To not look at them would be absurd and bad play. If we sniff out anyone, all the better. If not, we place them on the back burner and if something does come up at a later day then we come back to it.


yeah that would be absurd not to look at them but if we're still arguing about mayor candidates on day 3 then something bad has happened and it's probably because the mafia wanted it to happen

i can basically agree with what you said here


Then again keeping track of who ran is important, e.g. if we hit lylo with a serious mayor candidate still alive, I'm going to be somewhat suspicious of him, as I expect all the serious campaigners will be vets and at least decent player. Basically who runs for mayor provides us with useful information, we should make use of it, but not obsess over it either.
Moderator
aidnai
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1159 Posts
April 09 2011 21:26 GMT
#399
On April 10 2011 01:51 Robellicose wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2011 01:27 Kavdragon wrote:
Do we lynch an inactive day one?

My thoughts: I think that we should lynch an inactive. People who are active can actually be read/analyzed later on, but inactives will always be an there in the back of our mind. This also pressures inactive players to become more active.


I'd probably agree with this statement. Unless someone red/black goofs up and it's horrifically obvious that we can lynch them. And whilst I've not played/read a game that used a pardoner, we'll have to be pretty damned careful that we get one of us into the position - imagine a successful lynch of the godfather being blocked by some asshole mafia pardoner. man that would piss me off...


How much mafia experience do you have robellicose? your name is also kinda fricking long to type, you have a preferred nick?
chaoser
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States5541 Posts
April 09 2011 21:37 GMT
#400
I noticed that the KP for mafia wasn't listed in the OP, do we get to know how many KP they have or is that hidden from us?
Haven't you heard? I'm not an ex-progamer. I'm not a poker player. I'm not an admin of the site. I'm mother fucking Rekrul.
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 179 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech160
SteadfastSC 18
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 38507
Shuttle 2635
Horang2 1014
Bisu 871
Jaedong 698
Mini 509
Light 433
EffOrt 415
BeSt 359
firebathero 326
[ Show more ]
Hyuk 313
Soma 306
Stork 263
ggaemo 193
Zeus 192
Last 160
Snow 146
Soulkey 143
ZerO 139
Rush 136
Pusan 95
Leta 94
Killer 72
hero 68
Sea.KH 54
Sharp 40
Mind 40
Mong 40
sorry 32
Shine 30
Shinee 30
Bale 25
Aegong 24
ToSsGirL 22
Trap 21
soO 21
Sexy 18
Free 17
Terrorterran 13
PianO 13
JulyZerg 10
HiyA 9
Noble 7
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
zelot 7
Icarus 6
NotJumperer 3
Dota 2
Gorgc4396
qojqva1755
Dendi996
420jenkins62
League of Legends
Reynor98
Counter-Strike
x6flipin542
markeloff133
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1960
crisheroes1013
Other Games
gofns35537
singsing2123
olofmeister1468
B2W.Neo865
XBOCT348
DeMusliM186
Mlord184
Livibee176
XaKoH 140
Liquid`LucifroN108
Mew2King104
ArmadaUGS97
QueenE90
Chillindude13
ZerO(Twitch)10
Railgan9
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream164
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 10
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 67
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2301
• TFBlade603
Other Games
• WagamamaTV195
Upcoming Events
OSC
9m
Stellar Fest
9m
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
TaKeTV 58
OSC
11h 9m
Stellar Fest
1d
CranKy Ducklings
1d 21h
Online Event
1d 22h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.