• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:57
CEST 21:57
KST 04:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8974 users

[Champion] Swain - Page 9

Forum Index > LoL Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 Next All
Haasts
Profile Joined October 2011
New Zealand4445 Posts
May 28 2012 18:29 GMT
#161
Any particular streamers (or VODs thereof) of decent mid Swain players? Anyone found a way to work Athene's Unholy Grail into their builds, or still fairly standard Hourglass/DCap/Void Staff/misc?
PaniaoftheReef in Path of Exile TotA SSF SC // Lovelin fanclub // GreenTea #1
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
May 28 2012 18:37 GMT
#162
RoA/Grail/tanky ap stuff. Fight forever.

Put in chalice earlier if you really need the MR, otherwise finish RoA ASAP since it's time sensitive.

Always cawcawcaw never not cawcawcaw.
TranslatorBaa!
Alaric
Profile Joined November 2009
France45622 Posts
May 29 2012 00:40 GMT
#163
Regarding tenacity, how is Q considered? Is it a fixed slow on top of the DoT, affected by tenacity, or is it a permaslow applied by the DoT, and hence not reduced?
Cant take LMS hipsters serious.
Tooplark
Profile Joined October 2008
United States3977 Posts
May 29 2012 07:58 GMT
#164
Each tick of damage applies the slow. Tenacity reduces the duration of the last tick, but not significantly. It's basically a permaslow.
WHAT POW'R ART THOU WHO FROM BELOW HAST MADE ME RISE UNWILLINGLY AND SLOW
HughMyron
Profile Joined April 2012
297 Posts
May 30 2012 01:29 GMT
#165
Thinking of buying this dude on my smurf once I finish my AP page. I remember I had some great times with him back in the day.

RoA/Abby/FH is my favored build.
Platinum III, Kayle/Janna/Ashe Fanboy, HUEHUEHUE
GhostOwl
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
766 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-30 02:48:05
May 30 2012 02:28 GMT
#166
Would spirit visage (or whatever its called) increased healing % help Swain?

Is there a build I could do that lets him tank the entire enemy team, and regain health constantly enough to the point where you never die? And enough mana to let him do this for a long time?
iCanada
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada10660 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-30 05:06:49
May 30 2012 04:51 GMT
#167
On May 30 2012 11:28 GhostOwl wrote:
Would spirit visage (or whatever its called) increased healing % help Swain?

Is there a build I could do that lets him tank the entire enemy team, and regain health constantly enough to the point where you never die? And enough mana to let him do this for a long time?


Aside from just being really really fed and the other team not having Ignite? No, that would be broken as all hell.

That being said something to the effect of Zhonya's, Abyssal, Athenes, RoA, Ninja Tabis/Mercs, and Deathcap would make you tanky as balls, hit like a truck, and solve most of your mana issues.
Alaric
Profile Joined November 2009
France45622 Posts
May 30 2012 08:02 GMT
#168
That's how I've been building him the few games I tried to practice him back to shape, but I've found that I don't build rabaddon. It's not that I don't want to, it's just that Zhonya's too good to pass up, and then Grail/Abyssal are tempting sources of MR, both with their own reasons. I could probably just grab the negatron (leaving it open to QSS later if people like to chain-cc burst me before I can use zhonya) and complete rabaddon before I finish abyssal/build grail, tho.

Thanks Tooplark btw.
Cant take LMS hipsters serious.
Tooplark
Profile Joined October 2008
United States3977 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-31 00:11:52
May 31 2012 00:11 GMT
#169
Spirit Visage does boost Swain's healing from ult.
If you want to maximize tankiness, Spirit Visage, WotA, and efficient armor/mr items are the way to go. This has problems, however, in that you don't really contribute much to teamfights except for however much damage you absorb, and you aren't threatening enough to be the target of much damage. Balancing tankiness with AP is the most challenging part to playing Swain. Zhonya's Hourglass lets you go much heavier on the AP, and is core in any AP-centric build. RoA is an extremely efficient combination of stats and should be purchased as early as possible on a tankier Swain.
WHAT POW'R ART THOU WHO FROM BELOW HAST MADE ME RISE UNWILLINGLY AND SLOW
Skithiryx
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia648 Posts
July 26 2012 03:14 GMT
#170
So went through a few pages and didn't see much on it, but I'm wondering on the merit of 3 Spellvamp quints in place of flat AP, 15 ap v 6% spellvamp given swains slightly lower ratios would seem to always work out in the Spellvamps favour no?

Not sure...
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-26 06:05:34
July 26 2012 06:05 GMT
#171
On July 26 2012 12:14 Skithiryx wrote:
So went through a few pages and didn't see much on it, but I'm wondering on the merit of 3 Spellvamp quints in place of flat AP, 15 ap v 6% spellvamp given swains slightly lower ratios would seem to always work out in the Spellvamps favour no?

Not sure...


? Swain's ratios are actually extremely high, they're just all DOT.

Ignoring the E amplification, he has .9 Q .7 W .8 E and .6 R With E he has 1/close to 1 ratios on three of his skills, and his ult is 3 birds every second...
TranslatorBaa!
Sufficiency
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada23833 Posts
July 26 2012 06:08 GMT
#172
On July 26 2012 15:05 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2012 12:14 Skithiryx wrote:
So went through a few pages and didn't see much on it, but I'm wondering on the merit of 3 Spellvamp quints in place of flat AP, 15 ap v 6% spellvamp given swains slightly lower ratios would seem to always work out in the Spellvamps favour no?

Not sure...


? Swain's ratios are actually extremely high, they're just all DOT.

Ignoring the E amplification, he has .9 Q .7 W .8 E and .6 R With E he has 1/close to 1 ratios on three of his skills, and his ult is 3 birds every second...


Don't forget long cooldown.
https://twitter.com/SufficientStats
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
July 26 2012 06:09 GMT
#173
On July 26 2012 15:08 Sufficiency wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2012 15:05 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
On July 26 2012 12:14 Skithiryx wrote:
So went through a few pages and didn't see much on it, but I'm wondering on the merit of 3 Spellvamp quints in place of flat AP, 15 ap v 6% spellvamp given swains slightly lower ratios would seem to always work out in the Spellvamps favour no?

Not sure...


? Swain's ratios are actually extremely high, they're just all DOT.

Ignoring the E amplification, he has .9 Q .7 W .8 E and .6 R With E he has 1/close to 1 ratios on three of his skills, and his ult is 3 birds every second...


Don't forget long cooldown.


That is a detriment to spellvamp then just as much as AP so I don't really see the relevance..?
TranslatorBaa!
Ryuu314
Profile Joined October 2009
United States12679 Posts
July 26 2012 06:10 GMT
#174
Just wondering, is spellvamp a good item on Swain? I know his Q+E are full spellvamp and his W is reduced spellvamp. How about his R?

I tried him the other day and I went RoA->Abyssal. Then Zhonyas, Grail. Was thinking about working towards either dcap or void staff as last item (it was a 50+ minute game). I did okay, but laning was a pain against Morg since she could push me to tower and roam, while I struggled to clear creep 'til 6. I went R>E>W>Q.
Sufficiency
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada23833 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-26 06:23:32
July 26 2012 06:17 GMT
#175
On July 26 2012 15:09 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2012 15:08 Sufficiency wrote:
On July 26 2012 15:05 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
On July 26 2012 12:14 Skithiryx wrote:
So went through a few pages and didn't see much on it, but I'm wondering on the merit of 3 Spellvamp quints in place of flat AP, 15 ap v 6% spellvamp given swains slightly lower ratios would seem to always work out in the Spellvamps favour no?

Not sure...


? Swain's ratios are actually extremely high, they're just all DOT.

Ignoring the E amplification, he has .9 Q .7 W .8 E and .6 R With E he has 1/close to 1 ratios on three of his skills, and his ult is 3 birds every second...


Don't forget long cooldown.


That is a detriment to spellvamp then just as much as AP so I don't really see the relevance..?


Of course that's important. That's like asking why not use spellvamp quaints on LeBlanc.
https://twitter.com/SufficientStats
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
July 26 2012 06:18 GMT
#176
On July 26 2012 15:10 Ryuu314 wrote:
Just wondering, is spellvamp a good item on Swain? I know his Q+E are full spellvamp and his W is reduced spellvamp. How about his R?

I tried him the other day and I went RoA->Abyssal. Then Zhonyas, Grail. Was thinking about working towards either dcap or void staff as last item (it was a 50+ minute game). I did okay, but laning was a pain against Morg since she could push me to tower and roam, while I struggled to clear creep 'til 6. I went R>E>W>Q.


His ult is considered AOE for spell vamp and Rylai purposes.

Spell vamp is cute and fun to screw around with but honestly you get more mileage out of just building hp and resists alongside your ap. I'm not really a fan of spell vamp on him, especially after wota got nerfed. You're just paying a lot for very little benefit compared to what you're giving up.
TranslatorBaa!
Sufficiency
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada23833 Posts
July 26 2012 06:25 GMT
#177
On July 26 2012 15:10 Ryuu314 wrote:
Just wondering, is spellvamp a good item on Swain? I know his Q+E are full spellvamp and his W is reduced spellvamp. How about his R?

I tried him the other day and I went RoA->Abyssal. Then Zhonyas, Grail. Was thinking about working towards either dcap or void staff as last item (it was a 50+ minute game). I did okay, but laning was a pain against Morg since she could push me to tower and roam, while I struggled to clear creep 'til 6. I went R>E>W>Q.


Actually, his Q/E both have reduced spellvamp because they are DoT. In fact, all of his spells have diminishing returns with spellvamp.
https://twitter.com/SufficientStats
Ryuu314
Profile Joined October 2009
United States12679 Posts
July 26 2012 06:29 GMT
#178
On July 26 2012 15:25 Sufficiency wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2012 15:10 Ryuu314 wrote:
Just wondering, is spellvamp a good item on Swain? I know his Q+E are full spellvamp and his W is reduced spellvamp. How about his R?

I tried him the other day and I went RoA->Abyssal. Then Zhonyas, Grail. Was thinking about working towards either dcap or void staff as last item (it was a 50+ minute game). I did okay, but laning was a pain against Morg since she could push me to tower and roam, while I struggled to clear creep 'til 6. I went R>E>W>Q.


Actually, his Q/E both have reduced spellvamp because they are DoT. In fact, all of his spells have diminishing returns with spellvamp.

eh? wiki says the exact opposite.

Damage over time abilities (DoT) apply full spell vamp. (e.g. Brand's Blaze and Malzahar's Malefic Visions).

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Spell_vamp
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
July 26 2012 06:32 GMT
#179
On July 26 2012 15:17 Sufficiency wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2012 15:09 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
On July 26 2012 15:08 Sufficiency wrote:
On July 26 2012 15:05 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
On July 26 2012 12:14 Skithiryx wrote:
So went through a few pages and didn't see much on it, but I'm wondering on the merit of 3 Spellvamp quints in place of flat AP, 15 ap v 6% spellvamp given swains slightly lower ratios would seem to always work out in the Spellvamps favour no?

Not sure...


? Swain's ratios are actually extremely high, they're just all DOT.

Ignoring the E amplification, he has .9 Q .7 W .8 E and .6 R With E he has 1/close to 1 ratios on three of his skills, and his ult is 3 birds every second...


Don't forget long cooldown.


That is a detriment to spellvamp then just as much as AP so I don't really see the relevance..?


Of course that's important. That's like asking why not use spellvamp quaints on LeBlanc.


The argument was "low ap ratios therefore spell vamp > ap," i say "ap ratios are high" and you counter with "ya but long cooldowns;" that adversely affects spellvamp just as much as ap ratios, so i don't see the relevance.

Also DOT single target spells 100% apply full spell vamp...
TranslatorBaa!
Sufficiency
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada23833 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-26 06:37:14
July 26 2012 06:35 GMT
#180
On July 26 2012 15:29 Ryuu314 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2012 15:25 Sufficiency wrote:
On July 26 2012 15:10 Ryuu314 wrote:
Just wondering, is spellvamp a good item on Swain? I know his Q+E are full spellvamp and his W is reduced spellvamp. How about his R?

I tried him the other day and I went RoA->Abyssal. Then Zhonyas, Grail. Was thinking about working towards either dcap or void staff as last item (it was a 50+ minute game). I did okay, but laning was a pain against Morg since she could push me to tower and roam, while I struggled to clear creep 'til 6. I went R>E>W>Q.


Actually, his Q/E both have reduced spellvamp because they are DoT. In fact, all of his spells have diminishing returns with spellvamp.

eh? wiki says the exact opposite.

Show nested quote +
Damage over time abilities (DoT) apply full spell vamp. (e.g. Brand's Blaze and Malzahar's Malefic Visions).

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Spell_vamp


Ugh. For the whole time I thought it was reduced =\. I blame the wording on the wiki.

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Swain_the_Master_Tactician/Ability_Details

Decrepify procs spell vamp and Rylai's slow similarly with all damage over time spells and abilities with diminished effect.



On July 26 2012 15:32 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2012 15:17 Sufficiency wrote:
On July 26 2012 15:09 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
On July 26 2012 15:08 Sufficiency wrote:
On July 26 2012 15:05 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
On July 26 2012 12:14 Skithiryx wrote:
So went through a few pages and didn't see much on it, but I'm wondering on the merit of 3 Spellvamp quints in place of flat AP, 15 ap v 6% spellvamp given swains slightly lower ratios would seem to always work out in the Spellvamps favour no?

Not sure...


? Swain's ratios are actually extremely high, they're just all DOT.

Ignoring the E amplification, he has .9 Q .7 W .8 E and .6 R With E he has 1/close to 1 ratios on three of his skills, and his ult is 3 birds every second...


Don't forget long cooldown.


That is a detriment to spellvamp then just as much as AP so I don't really see the relevance..?


Of course that's important. That's like asking why not use spellvamp quaints on LeBlanc.


The argument was "low ap ratios therefore spell vamp > ap," i say "ap ratios are high" and you counter with "ya but long cooldowns;" that adversely affects spellvamp just as much as ap ratios, so i don't see the relevance.

Also DOT single target spells 100% apply full spell vamp...


Spellvamp's effectiveness has to do with DPS. AP ratio plays a part in this, but cooldown also needs to be considered.
https://twitter.com/SufficientStats
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#2 - $100
LiquipediaDiscussion
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 4
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason88
BRAT_OK 53
Railgan 38
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17019
Mini 361
Dewaltoss 187
Hyuk 134
ggaemo 117
firebathero 105
ZZZero.O 80
Terrorterran 8
Dota 2
Gorgc8498
febbydoto19
League of Legends
Doublelift1533
Counter-Strike
Fnx 702
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4833
Khaldor1283
crisheroes920
Liquid`Hasu804
Other Games
summit1g4294
FrodaN2426
fl0m1007
Beastyqt816
mouzStarbuck366
KnowMe362
ArmadaUGS127
Mew2King53
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1177
BasetradeTV199
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 108
• Adnapsc2 27
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 43
• 80smullet 22
• Azhi_Dahaki14
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8411
Other Games
• imaqtpie876
• Shiphtur253
• tFFMrPink 16
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
14h 3m
INu's Battles
16h 3m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
19h 3m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
23h 3m
BSL Open Qualifier
23h 3m
Replay Cast
1d 3h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 14h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 15h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 20h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
6 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.