• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:44
CEST 03:44
KST 10:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7796 users

LotV Beta - TL Strategy first impressions - Page 6

Forum Index > Legacy of the Void
269 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 14 Next All
ZeromuS
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada13426 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-05 17:16:47
April 05 2015 17:15 GMT
#101
I think people are confusing their feelings about the 12 worker start.

IMO I can agree that the 6 workers or 7 you had to make HotS for a smooth build order (spending all minerals while always making workers) was too long when you compare it to how smooth and quick it is in LotV.

I like that I'm not spending 2-3 minutes in game time making workers pre building.

But are there better ways?
StrategyRTS forever | @ZeromuS_plays | www.twitch.tv/Zeromus_
Hider
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Denmark9448 Posts
April 05 2015 17:20 GMT
#102
On April 06 2015 02:15 ZeromuS wrote:
I think people are confusing their feelings about the 12 worker start.

IMO I can agree that the 6 workers or 7 you had to make HotS for a smooth build order (spending all minerals while always making workers) was too long when you compare it to how smooth and quick it is in LotV.

I like that I'm not spending 2-3 minutes in game time making workers pre building.

But are there better ways?


Yes, we remove early game completely, and before the game each player can choose between different army compositions, and then they go directly into mid/late with these compositions and can adjust them afterwards.....

Yeh okay, that was a bit of a joke, but tbh, it would be quite awesome as Sc2 first gets interesting once players are spread out over multiple bases with larger armies.
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
April 05 2015 17:23 GMT
#103
The problem is, the extra workers don't do only that, assuming atain that it's an issue (i personally don't see the problem).

I mean if we go by the logic that early game is completely irrelveant, we might as well give players entire bases to start off with....
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
BronzeKnee
Profile Joined March 2011
United States5226 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-05 18:29:10
April 05 2015 18:00 GMT
#104
On April 06 2015 02:20 Hider wrote:
Yeh okay, that was a bit of a joke, but tbh, it would be quite awesome as Sc2 first gets interesting once players are spread out over multiple bases with larger armies.


Is this what the majority of people think?

I began to love Starcraft when I realized how difficult it was to master. During WOL, I had to earn my expansions as Protoss.

4 Gates, 3 rax play, the 1-1-1, ect... you didn't just get an expansion for free. You had to actually scout and make reads without the help of the MSC or Hallucinations, you had to figure out what was going on before you could just plop down a Nexus or you were taking a massive risk because one base play was strong. It wasn't overly strong, it was just strong.

It took real skill, game knowledge (especially when it comes to reading what your opponent was doing with limited information) and micro to stop a lot of those all-ins.

But in HOTS, you literally just press F and click on the Nexus, and that one base 3 rax build loses. No amount of skill on the Terran side changes that, so no one does that anymore. But what Blizzard did do was improve the power of Terran to kill workers, therefore you don't actually see an army coming anymore and build an army and actually have a real battle, you chase around Hellions and Widow Mines to keep them from killing workers.

The funny thing is the result in the same. You see the 1-1-1 train coming and you lose the battle, you lose the game. You lose half your probes to Hellions, and you lose too; except there is no big battle. We went microing units in battles between armies, to ridiculous micro chasing games. For what purpose? If Blizzard doesn't want games ending early, then don't let them end early. But if they can end early, at least make it exciting, give us a climatic battle, where I can try to flank my opponents tanks sieging up my base and make plays.

And if they don't want games to end early, Blizzard should just start everyone on multiple bases, especially if that is what people want.

On April 05 2015 12:27 TiberiusAk wrote:
Phrasing the question another way: do slower-expanding players die because they mined out their entire main base (starvation), or because they mined out all the 750 mineral patches (lower income in general)?

On April 05 2015 12:28 Jer99 wrote:
The latter


I wonder if Blizzard really thought through the all complications that go with this change. To start, it is an instant buff to Zerg, because they out expand the other races. It also hurts Protoss the most, because they expand the least, and can't just float a Nexus to a new mineral field somewhere else.

It has been a legitimate strategy for Terran players to get two bases, and then do everything they can to deny Protoss a third, and then when the Terran main runs out of minerals, just float it to another base and continue to starve out the Protoss. This change radically enhances that strategy. As soon as the 750 minerals dry up on the Protoss natural, it's game over. And that is just scratching the surface of the balance problems that change creates.
nyshak
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany132 Posts
April 05 2015 18:21 GMT
#105
I have trouble with 12 workes because I fear it will make scouting early game useless/too late. To me, the first few minutes of the game are not boring *enough* to risk that players won't be able to tell if their oppnent went first this or that.

Is it fun to realize your opponent went 12 pool just because 6 zerglings enter your base? Scouting is something that should be rewarded. So if you scout at the right time you should be able to tell what your opponent is doing before it hits you. At the start of the game there is only one "right time". But I feel with 12 workes its obsolete.
B-)
Hider
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Denmark9448 Posts
April 05 2015 18:38 GMT
#106
4 Gates, 3 rax play, the 1-1-1, ect... you didn't just get an expansion for free. You had to actually scout and make reads


Honestly I think the majority of the playerbase dislikes the pokerelement in Sc2. When you have to guess whether its DT, Blink Stalkers, Oracles or Immortal-all in based on very limitted information, it imo becomes less of the Starcraft that I enjoy. I think strategic diversity should be about soft-counters and how you use the units in different ways. Not about "I build X and since you didn't have Y --> you instalose".
Umpteen
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United Kingdom1570 Posts
April 05 2015 18:38 GMT
#107
Personally I think TheDwf's post was more well written than it was necessarily right. Eloquence is often more compelling than it deserves to be.

There is no less time in lotv than in hots. There MAY be more that someone can do before you scout them, but there's always been a lot of options, including the bad things I do during that time. There will still be safe, standard play. Comparisons with chess, a turn based game where your moves must precisely counter those of your opponent one-for-one, are not valid. To paraphrase: all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
The existence of a food chain is inescapable if we evolved unsupervised, and inexcusable otherwise.
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-05 19:11:19
April 05 2015 18:53 GMT
#108
On April 05 2015 04:09 TheDwf wrote:
With the current LotV rhythm Blizzard is actually killing the very genre of Starcraft.

This.

Thank you for a great post dwf.



On April 06 2015 03:38 Hider wrote:
Show nested quote +
4 Gates, 3 rax play, the 1-1-1, ect... you didn't just get an expansion for free. You had to actually scout and make reads


Honestly I think the majority of the playerbase dislikes the pokerelement in Sc2. When you have to guess whether its DT, Blink Stalkers, Oracles or Immortal-all in based on very limitted information, it imo becomes less of the Starcraft that I enjoy. I think strategic diversity should be about soft-counters and how you use the units in different ways. Not about "I build X and since you didn't have Y --> you instalose".

Well there should be some give in the information available, which enhances the soft-counter unit versatility you mention. And which also affects overall strategy with build choice and risk taking based on possible threats from the opponent. Obviously instalose situations should be avoided though.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
BronzeKnee
Profile Joined March 2011
United States5226 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-05 19:11:55
April 05 2015 19:05 GMT
#109
On April 06 2015 03:38 Hider wrote:
Show nested quote +
4 Gates, 3 rax play, the 1-1-1, ect... you didn't just get an expansion for free. You had to actually scout and make reads


Honestly I think the majority of the playerbase dislikes the pokerelement in Sc2. When you have to guess whether its DT, Blink Stalkers, Oracles or Immortal-all in based on very limitted information, it imo becomes less of the Starcraft that I enjoy. I think strategic diversity should be about soft-counters and how you use the units in different ways. Not about "I build X and since you didn't have Y --> you instalose".


That is how I felt in WOL before I began to learn how to make good reads. I don't think there was that much of a poker element at the end of WOL at all, unless people took blind economic risks (which ironically enough, were often best punished by one base play).

Scouting was probably the skill I had refined the most. I had my Probes, and I used em to scout at certain specific times in every matchup to figure out what my opponent was doing. And the best part was, my opponent might actively work to deny scouting. The game of cat and mouse when it came to scouting wasn't pokerish at all. It was in fact skill based.

And I think a lot of BW players didn't like it, because it wasn't about mechanics, it was about thinking and strategy. As Sun Tzu said: All warfare is based on deception. I would actively work to deceive my opponents regarding my build order. If they scouted as much as I did, and as well as I did, then my tricks wouldn't work. But people like to assume so they can focus on their mechanics.

But now I just float my MSC over their base, and send out a Hallucination when I can, and I know that even if I don't scout well, I can just press F and click on my Nexus and hold a lot of timings.
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
April 05 2015 19:07 GMT
#110
The poker element of Starcraft - making reads and good guesses instead of having perfect information - is one of the things i enjoy the most.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
kaitlyn
Profile Joined July 2012
Canada10 Posts
April 05 2015 19:14 GMT
#111
On April 05 2015 09:48 NKexquisite wrote:
If bio is no longer viable vs ultralisks/lings in the late game, what have Terran players been doing? Do they have to somehow transition into mech for late game? Sounds bizarre since the upgrades would be reset by this transition.


hey! i sent you a PM, hope you received it, i'm awaiting your response

some cyclone/hellbat openers might force zerg to make roaches or a ton of units, maybe that will slow them down enough to keep bio viable, or at least not let zerg have too many ultras out! drops and denying bases will also become more powerful when so many more bases are necessary!
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-05 19:44:02
April 05 2015 19:22 GMT
#112
I'm of the belief that SC2 is hardly suitable for having matchmaking as the default game mode (slightly exaggerating), because it's too difficult to pick meaningful responses to your opponent's actions in-game. If by default you had to search for an opponent and play a session consisting of three or four games, then you could quickly review your choices in between games and learn from your mistakes. I think more so than for MOBAs, in SC2 most of your learning is done in between games.

At some point you have to cut your losses and fashion SC2 around this notion of it being a streamlined, action-oriented, competitive e-sports game, -- since Blizzard is incapable of changing this direction anyhow. It would certainly help the competitive scene if Blizzard outright forced the majority of the games to be active, scrappy, six-base macrofests.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
Leviance
Profile Joined November 2009
Germany4079 Posts
April 05 2015 19:34 GMT
#113
Make it 8 starting workers! 12 is insane!
"Blizzard is never gonna nerf Terran because of those American and European fuck" - Korean Netizen
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
April 05 2015 19:36 GMT
#114
On April 06 2015 04:34 Leviance wrote:
Make it 8 starting workers! 12 is insane!

8 or 9 seems like a reasonable compromise that probably gives time to scout / develop with real early game timings but also removes about 1:00 of early game time
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Darksoldierr
Profile Joined May 2010
Hungary2013 Posts
April 05 2015 19:38 GMT
#115
Nice write up, waiting for the next ones
What do humans know of our pain? We have sung songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea.
F0nze
Profile Joined March 2015
United States26 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-05 19:40:01
April 05 2015 19:39 GMT
#116
On April 06 2015 04:07 Teoita wrote:
The poker element of Starcraft - making reads and good guesses instead of having perfect information - is one of the things i enjoy the most.


Indeed. I am appalled at the responses of some of TL users and vets saying early game is boring and that 12 workers is actually GOOD... what,
what happened with Brood War, when it was just 4 workers. You didn't have any of the koreans complaining about how boring the early game was, or that there needs to be more workers. Sure, 6 is alright but 12..

and the argument I hear the most is "Well sc2 is a different game leave the past behind", notwithstanding that Blizzard has actually chosen to bring BACK a unit from BW ..

While, me alone as a sc2 player, I don't have too much research done on the new expansion, but I just feel like they're destroying the essence of what Starcraft as an RTS and a game is entirely with gimmicky units and changes. Who thought of, hey, let's make half the mineral line run out first than the other half? Not somebody who plays sc2.
[Every hour, a coward is devoured.] Diamond level Protoss; NA server.
KeksX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany3634 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-05 19:48:38
April 05 2015 19:47 GMT
#117
On April 06 2015 04:39 F0nze wrote:

While, me alone as a sc2 player, I don't have too much research done on the new expansion, but I just feel like they're destroying the essence of what Starcraft as an RTS and a game is entirely with gimmicky units and changes. Who thought of, hey, let's make half the mineral line run out first than the other half? Not somebody who plays sc2.


How are they destroying the essence of SC2? You also realize there's still cheese and mindgames ye?


I don't exactly get what your complaint is. The LotV games now already have a lot more downtime than they had on day 1 beta..
xuanzue
Profile Joined October 2010
Colombia1747 Posts
April 05 2015 19:48 GMT
#118
injects can be moved to T2, or the time can be nerfed
Dominions 4: "Thrones of Ascension".
KobraKay
Profile Joined March 2010
Portugal4389 Posts
April 05 2015 20:12 GMT
#119
On April 06 2015 04:05 BronzeKnee wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 06 2015 03:38 Hider wrote:
4 Gates, 3 rax play, the 1-1-1, ect... you didn't just get an expansion for free. You had to actually scout and make reads


Honestly I think the majority of the playerbase dislikes the pokerelement in Sc2. When you have to guess whether its DT, Blink Stalkers, Oracles or Immortal-all in based on very limitted information, it imo becomes less of the Starcraft that I enjoy. I think strategic diversity should be about soft-counters and how you use the units in different ways. Not about "I build X and since you didn't have Y --> you instalose".


That is how I felt in WOL before I began to learn how to make good reads. I don't think there was that much of a poker element at the end of WOL at all, unless people took blind economic risks (which ironically enough, were often best punished by one base play).

Scouting was probably the skill I had refined the most. I had my Probes, and I used em to scout at certain specific times in every matchup to figure out what my opponent was doing. And the best part was, my opponent might actively work to deny scouting. The game of cat and mouse when it came to scouting wasn't pokerish at all. It was in fact skill based.

And I think a lot of BW players didn't like it, because it wasn't about mechanics, it was about thinking and strategy. As Sun Tzu said: All warfare is based on deception. I would actively work to deceive my opponents regarding my build order. If they scouted as much as I did, and as well as I did, then my tricks wouldn't work. But people like to assume so they can focus on their mechanics.

But now I just float my MSC over their base, and send out a Hallucination when I can, and I know that even if I don't scout well, I can just press F and click on my Nexus and hold a lot of timings.


Wait what? Have you ever watched any BW game? Scouting is a key element of any BW game even in a game with 10 years of professional play without the rules constantly changing, i.e., without blizzard's interference with patches artificially changing things.

Scouting was as important in BW as it ever was in SC2. . .and no, no BW player will tell you the scouting part of the game is boring because it is not about mechanics...hell you can even argue that keeping a scouting worker alive in the early game to scout is even more mechanic dependent than it is in sc2 and will give you the same level of information.

Other than that, I agree with your points regarding the importance of the early game and scouting.
CJ Fighting! (--.--)
Isarios
Profile Joined March 2014
United States153 Posts
April 05 2015 20:14 GMT
#120
Maybe we all have good ideas about what isn't a good game, but it seems like even collectively we can't really formulate what would really be a great game.
Some people hate the harass style of Hots, I'd agree, its a little less interesting than straight-up battles. But it is action oriented.
The early game does need to be shorter I think.


This might be Starcraft blasphemy, but what about having resources and places to hold ON the map that aren't just bases so that you have to spread out your army more. Perhaps some AOE effects that discourage being able to mass your army and push.
Nobody think towers.
Blahhh
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings97
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 146
ProTech125
StarCraft: Brood War
Dewaltoss 290
Bale 15
Terrorterran 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm215
League of Legends
Doublelift5836
JimRising 778
Counter-Strike
minikerr22
Other Games
summit1g10999
C9.Mang0345
PiLiPiLi13
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1048
BasetradeTV176
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream45
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP154
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
8h 17m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
9h 17m
Monday Night Weeklies
14h 17m
Replay Cast
21h 17m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 8h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 9h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 22h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.