• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:36
CEST 03:36
KST 10:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7593 users

[HGC] Interview with Halorin

Forum Index > Heroes of the Storm
0 CommentsPost a Reply

[HGC] Interview with Halorin

Text byTL.net ESPORTS
August 12th, 2018 20:28 GMT

Interview

With
Halorin




Halorin's face is one that immediately comes to mind when you think of community casters. As one of the regulars in Chair League and more recently one of the features of Heroes of the Dorm, Halorin has been connected closely with the Heroes community for some time now, all the way from the lowest ranks of Chair League to the big stage of HGC. And he delivers on that sense of community. It only takes a few moments talking to him to recognize his incorrigible sense of humor and magnetic personality.

LiquidHeroes reporter Azax got a few moments to speak to Halorin about his journey from Chair League to HGC, what he foresees as the future meta of the tournament, and—most importantly—his thoughts on America's favorite condiment.





So Halorin...Chair League all the way to here. How are you feeling right now?

I think the word I’ve been using to describe it is surreal. I still very much see myself as the caster that started in Chair League, just a guy who likes the video game and likes to talk about it and wants to try to make jokes and crack himself up. I’ve just kind of stuck to that principle in casting, and it’s kind of crazy that it’s gotten me here.



You post a lot of personal blogs, from anything from racism to your thoughts, and the one that stuck with me is where you’re, “I just wanna be there at the desk in HGC.” How does it feel for you to be so open and vulnerable with the community?

Well, I can say that it’s definitely not easy. I’ve always considered myself...oddly enough, I feel I’m a better writer than a speaker. A large part of why I started my blog is I have a hard time opening up to people—I have a very hard time socializing in general—and I started my blog before I got into casting, and I just made a commitment to myself that anytime there was a big, emotional moment or something profound happened in my life, I would just write a blog post, post it on Facebook, post it on Twitter, and not really advertise it or anything. I would just post it, and that would be my way of expressing myself. I don’t expect anyone to read it ever, so anytime someone does, it’s like, “Oh, wow.”





So it’s more just therapy for me, in a way, to just get my thoughts out somehow. It’s been cool that people have read it and have related to it, but it’s kind of a side effect of what the blog is supposed to be about.

I mean, it’s kind of become entwined in the casting because casting is so personal to me. The blog is about profound, big moments in my life, and the past two years, casting’s been there step for step, so they overlap often.



You have a very passionate fan base, and yesterday you were at top of the Heroes Reddit all day. How did that make you feel when you go on Reddit and see that?

That was the entire opposite end of the spectrum from what I had anticipated. I was actively looking to avoid Twitch chat and Reddit and stuff like that because I know I’m not everybody’s cup of tea because I have an oddball sense of humor. Anytime I ever make a joke, I only ever expect to be the only person laughing (laughs), so whenever other people laugh, I’m like, “Ah, that’s pretty cool.” So for the community at large to accept me for who I am. I always feel like I’m a person first and a caster second, which is kind of weird to say in a professional capacity, but I mean, that’s my strength as a caster, in my opinion: just being myself.

So the same mindset that I had when I started casting in Chair League is the same one I applied to the tournament here, so to see people say, “Hey, Halorin’s fantastic”...to me, that feel like they think I’m fantastic as a caster and a person because those two sides of myself are so intertwined. They’re pretty much the same thing.



When you heard the news that you were going to be here this weekend, what were your first thoughts?

I had the read the email a few times to make sure I understood it. Are they just asking me to be there in the audience. Am I actually going to get to cast? Am I going to be on the desk? I just kinda sat back and thought about how much time and effort I’ve put into casting. Anytime I get a new milestone like doing Heroes of the Dorm, doing Heroic Four, things like that, I just think of this email I sent to SuperJova, who started Chair League, asking him if he needed another caster, saying I had no experience, [just thinking] it would be fun. It was kind of validating on a personal level, to get into casting, to become a better person, and to be honored—to be lucky enough—to get an opportunity to do something like this, says that I’m doing something right, not only as a caster but as a person, so it just makes me wanna keep going.



Kala is also here for the first time. Did you two get together to talk it out, it being your first big event for both of you?

We talked about it quite a bit once the roster was announced. I don’t know the politics at all about talking to other people, like, “Hey, I got asked to do this...did you?”...so I honestly didn’t even know [who was casting] until the full lineup was announced, and I was like, “This is awesome!” I love Kala. We casted a ton together last year. Not at all surprised to see the success he’s having. He’s earned this spot like anyone else, and he’s been kicking ass.



Did you two bounce any ideas off each other or prepare together? What did you do to prepare for this event?

I didn’t really prepare with Kala. Every now and then, if we’re hanging out here during the event or in talks leading up to the event, we’d be like, “Man, we’re doing the Western Clash! Can you believe that?” And he’s like, “No, can you?” And I’m like, “No!”

As far as preparation for the tournament goes, I’m fortunate in that I already spent a lot of time watching the HGC anyway, so the intangibles that I look for in teams—the decisions they make and how they rotate around and how different moments seem to affect how they play—I already had a pretty good sense of the A-teams in a tournament from the perspective of a viewer.



As far as preparation goes, the biggest help has been JHow. JHow is the numbers guy, he’s one of my best friends in the scene, and he’s been there from the beginning. And he helped me out. He’s got all these friggin stats and stuff that he shared with me, and it just added a lot more context and information to what I knew. He definitely helped me be prepared for the tournament.



Which match has been the coolest match for you to cast, the one you got the most hype about?

It’s gotta be Game 2 of HHE vs Method. The way HeroesHearth saved their core and then were just like, “All right, we gotta win or lose this game right now.” That march across the map...I thought I was going to lose my voice in that series! (Laughs) Me yelling...that was me as a viewer and a fan of the game, and then a caster. I actively had to reel myself back and be like, “You’re not just watching this game on your couch, man. You’re casting! You need to make sure you keep your eye on the ball.”

HeroesHearth has always been an exciting team to watch, and when they go against someone like Method, who just play their own style of the game, it was bound to be a very fun match, and they didn’t disappoint.



On the first day, the #2 teams from both regions, Tempo and Liquid, fell out. What were your thoughts on that?

I was more surprised about Team Liquid. Going into the tournament, I was concerned about their consistency. Over league play, they’d look like a super dominant team one game and then just get snowballed hard the next game. So I guess they’re a momentum-based team, so whenever that falters for them, they just become this whole different team—but not in a good way.

Tempo Storm, I feel like them going to the lower bracket, was something of an asterisk because that was such a close series in round 1. It’s not like they just got hard stomped by Method and dropped down. I feel like Method just came out on top on that series. Tempo Storm played extremely well. I know they feel disappointed in their performance—they obviously wanted to go further—but I don’t think they should be disappointed with how they played against Team Method. That was a great series. To have someone new come out of the open division like VIN and then perform that well and see him make plays like he did on Towers of Doom. I think they have a lot to be happy about. So I hope they bounce back from this and just think about what’s next.



It’s a first event for a lot of people….

(Laughter)


Let’s talk about the meta. Sgt. Hammer is being banned or pick first every game. What is happening? If you told me that three months ago, I’d just call you crazy.

I think it’s the concept of jazz hands[?]. Anytime there’s a long teamfight, heroes like Sgt Hammer, heroes like Fenix, they’re gonna absolutely shred. Fenix is one of the most versatile heroes because that hero can be the main damage dealer but also be the supplement to something like Maiev or Tracer that’s going to draw all the attention. Whenever you have long teamfights and there’s consistent auto attack damage—even Raynor fits into that mold also. If both teams are positioning properly, and it’s going to be a long 20-30s teamfight with someone able to chunk down 8-11% of someone’s health every other second, and if the enemy team has no dive to deal with that...I’m surprised Hammer didn’t show up sooner.



It’s so bizarre...Chromie is in her last hurrah before the rework, and we’ve had Zarya coming out after a year of not being viable, and then Sgt. Hammer, Raynor...it’s a wild world in the Nexus right now.

The Zarya pick...I wouldn’t say she’s back in the meta just yet. I think in part that’s just Team Method being Team Method, but also, in an offline event when everyone has a 0 ping, so often you can see those teamfights coming down to everyone on a team has like 10% health, and then someone finally dies and everything suddenly snowballs. So abilities in heroes that can have that last ditch effort to keep someone alive is gonna be much more impactful when there’s 0 ping compared to 80. If someone’s about to die, and Zarya gets that shield on them at the right moment and then that gives them enough time to auto attack, we’ve seen time and time again, those split seconds are the difference between a team winning a teamfight or not.

So I think Zarya has a place here in this tournament for Method, largely because it’s at 0 ping and it speaks to that reaching-out-to-save-each-other play that we see in the pro league. But I don’t think we’ll see her going forward.



I just have one more question for you. It’s a very important, personal question. How do you feel about mayonnaise?

(Silence)...(Laughter).

That’s my answer.








Check out our latest articles:

Talking Cleanse with the Pros
Who Cares About Whitemane?
In Defense of Quick Match
Lore of the Nexus: Yrel
Music of the Storm: Sky Temple







Interview: Azax
Editor(s): EsportsJohn
Formatting: EsportsJohn
Design: shiroiusagi
Photo Credit: Blizzard


Facebook Twitter Reddit
TL+ Member
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings74
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 145
RuFF_SC2 114
ProTech59
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15772
Rain 2245
Artosis 570
NaDa 19
Bale 16
League of Legends
Doublelift3634
Counter-Strike
taco 388
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox715
Mew2King105
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor972
Other Games
summit1g8555
Day[9].tv706
JimRising 558
PiGStarcraft316
C9.Mang0265
ArmadaUGS70
ViBE49
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV227
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream104
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 158
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP61
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv706
• Scarra578
• Shiphtur146
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
11h 25m
OSC
20h 25m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 8h
Online Event
1d 9h
FEL
1d 14h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 15h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 17h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.