• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:33
CEST 20:33
KST 03:33
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9283 users

"free" programs people should know about - Page 6

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 12 Next All
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
February 13 2009 23:05 GMT
#101
On February 14 2009 07:54 Realpenguin wrote:
X-Chat for Windows
Replaces: your IRC client
It's a really lightweight IRC client that offers quite a lot of customization.
http://silverex.info/news/



Tried X-Chat. It's not free any more. Starts bugging you for licence purchase after some time and won't launch.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
ghermination
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States2851 Posts
February 13 2009 23:25 GMT
#102
oh wow, you sure are cool. All that swearing doesn't make you sound "edgy" and "hip", it just makes you sound like an idiot. But i like the list, althought i'm surprised you didn't list Avast, its pretty much the standard for free antivirus. Also, PowerISO does quite a lot of good when it comes to iso's. I use it to play SC, because i'm too cheap to go buy a disc.
U Gotta Skate.
ahrara_
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Afghanistan1715 Posts
February 13 2009 23:32 GMT
#103
On February 14 2009 08:25 ghermination wrote:
oh wow, you sure are cool. All that swearing doesn't make you sound "edgy" and "hip", it just makes you sound like an idiot. But i like the list, althought i'm surprised you didn't list Avast, its pretty much the standard for free antivirus. Also, PowerISO does quite a lot of good when it comes to iso's. I use it to play SC, because i'm too cheap to go buy a disc.

why are you so angry?
in Afghanistan we have 20% literacy rate
white_box921
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United Kingdom967 Posts
February 13 2009 23:56 GMT
#104
I know I can probably google it, but since here is a thread I might as well. Are there any program apart from winamp that can play .flac
Realpenguin
Profile Joined December 2006
8253 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-13 23:58:02
February 13 2009 23:57 GMT
#105
On February 14 2009 08:05 Manit0u wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2009 07:54 Realpenguin wrote:
X-Chat for Windows
Replaces: your IRC client
It's a really lightweight IRC client that offers quite a lot of customization.
http://silverex.info/news/



Tried X-Chat. It's not free any more. Starts bugging you for licence purchase after some time and won't launch.

The version I posted is from another developer who took the source code of X-Chat and is publishing it for free.

It's legal because the official shareware version is still opensource and licensed under GPL.
<Wolfpox> i remember when MVP beat that one guy, and everyone was like 'whoa' except that penguin dude.
Centric
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States1989 Posts
February 14 2009 00:04 GMT
#106
So after reading through all of the Opera comments, I decided to switch. I'll try it for a couple days...if I like it I'll uninstall FF, if I don't, I'm going back.
Super serious.
Ecael
Profile Joined February 2008
United States6703 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-14 00:25:43
February 14 2009 00:19 GMT
#107
Eh, this really isn't the place for a browser fight, but I would like to bring up some issues with Opera. Personally I use both Opera and Firefox for difference purposes with Opera as my main browser though. As much as I like Opera and as good as the browser is empirically, its uses can be limited. I am not sure how many of us here use our PCs for financial management and all, but a lot of financial institutions have issues with Opera, which eventually results in you needing to use another browser anyway. At that, it isn't just an issue with online banking and all, the fact that Opera, as of now, is still low on market share means that larger [company] sites are less likely to have Opera support. An annoyance, not a huge one, but not one I'd like to see cited when people post back on this thread about how they can't do x or y because the company doesn't want to bother making sure its site is fully functional on Opera.

EDIT - To make this post have more relevance to the thread, I personally use Spyware Doctor via google pack for spyware. Adaware has been a bit annoying for me for some reason or another. Only briefly skimmed the thread though, so don't mind if others have mentioned it.

White_box921, pretty much everything can play flac. Probably just needs you to download an additional extension or something, but nothing a quick google can't solve. Assuming that you mean just a flac individual file anyway. Flac+Cue is a bit weirder, but the majority of the standard players should be able to handle it anyway. As of late I've been using a mix of Foobar (audio) and zoom/MPC (video).
meathook
Profile Joined December 2007
1289 Posts
February 14 2009 00:23 GMT
#108
On February 14 2009 07:54 Realpenguin wrote:
JKDefrag
Replaces: Windows defragger
It's fast, it's simple, and it can optimize your disk (by bringing files together, closer to the beginning of the disk). It's a great program, with a lot of commandline options that could fit anyone's needs.
http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/

X-Treme G Video Drivers (for Nvidia and ATI)
Replaces: official Nvidia and ATI drivers
Great for those who want the absolute best performance from their GPU. Performance won't soar like mad, but the benchmarks show some nice advantages over the official drivers. These are updated very often, so there's not much worry about missing out on any features from the official drivers.
http://www.tweakforce.com/

Hmm. Thanks! I will try these.

Deluge (BitTorent Client)
Replaces: your current BitTorrent client
I believe this is the most lightweight BT client out there. It's not bloated with features like Azureus/Vuze, and isn't completely naked like BitTornado. Try it out.
http://deluge-torrent.org/

Unsure, but isn't Halite the most lightweight torrent client(with features)?
An ugly planet. A bug planet.
Ecael
Profile Joined February 2008
United States6703 Posts
February 14 2009 00:28 GMT
#109
Torrent client discussion is arguably worse than Browser :p I'd stick using uTorrent myself.

Now to wait for random Chinese nationals busting in with BitComet being the best client evar (No offense, but the padding files annoys the heck out of me and has essentially no use to most foreign users)
Realpenguin
Profile Joined December 2006
8253 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-14 01:04:46
February 14 2009 00:59 GMT
#110
On February 14 2009 09:23 meathook wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2009 07:54 Realpenguin wrote:
JKDefrag
Replaces: Windows defragger
It's fast, it's simple, and it can optimize your disk (by bringing files together, closer to the beginning of the disk). It's a great program, with a lot of commandline options that could fit anyone's needs.
http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/

X-Treme G Video Drivers (for Nvidia and ATI)
Replaces: official Nvidia and ATI drivers
Great for those who want the absolute best performance from their GPU. Performance won't soar like mad, but the benchmarks show some nice advantages over the official drivers. These are updated very often, so there's not much worry about missing out on any features from the official drivers.
http://www.tweakforce.com/

Hmm. Thanks! I will try these.

Show nested quote +
Deluge (BitTorent Client)
Replaces: your current BitTorrent client
I believe this is the most lightweight BT client out there. It's not bloated with features like Azureus/Vuze, and isn't completely naked like BitTornado. Try it out.
http://deluge-torrent.org/

Unsure, but isn't Halite the most lightweight torrent client(with features)?

Yeah, I just realized Deluge loaded python libraries and took up way more memory than even Azureus.

I replaced Deluge in my post with XBT. It's a really light program, only having features that most people would need configure. But I'll have to try that Halite client sometime.

Torrent clients are mostly preference. I personally prefer programs that use a minimal amount of memory, so XBT is my current favorite.
<Wolfpox> i remember when MVP beat that one guy, and everyone was like 'whoa' except that penguin dude.
Exteray
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States1094 Posts
February 14 2009 01:12 GMT
#111
On February 13 2009 15:55 guga31bb wrote:
vlc player is awesome


+1
nttea
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Sweden4353 Posts
February 14 2009 01:27 GMT
#112
well i can just say thanks! and fuck you, since you instulted me ALOT
ilovehnk
Profile Joined October 2008
475 Posts
February 14 2009 01:35 GMT
#113
i thought utorrent is the lightest ever....
Hikou Shinketsushuu
IzzyCraft
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4487 Posts
February 14 2009 02:26 GMT
#114
On February 14 2009 09:28 Ecael wrote:
Torrent client discussion is arguably worse than Browser :p I'd stick using uTorrent myself.

Now to wait for random Chinese nationals busting in with BitComet being the best client evar (No offense, but the padding files annoys the heck out of me and has essentially no use to most foreign users)

It's just as pointless for those who are like performance is more or less null from one client to another. It's all abotu how lightweight and easy to set up.
I have ass for brains so,
even when I shit I'm droping knowledge.
Ecael
Profile Joined February 2008
United States6703 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-14 03:29:28
February 14 2009 03:28 GMT
#115
On February 14 2009 11:26 IzzyCraft wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2009 09:28 Ecael wrote:
Torrent client discussion is arguably worse than Browser :p I'd stick using uTorrent myself.

Now to wait for random Chinese nationals busting in with BitComet being the best client evar (No offense, but the padding files annoys the heck out of me and has essentially no use to most foreign users)

It's just as pointless for those who are like performance is more or less null from one client to another. It's all abotu how lightweight and easy to set up.

Yeah, and in that context it is even harder to distinguish than browsers. There aren't all that much you can stuff on torrent clients anyway, to the point that all that I personally could do would be to complain about ones with odd features like BitComet. The small amount of features makes the differences miniscule. I suppose it is nice to toss out a few alternatives to such clients, but the differences between the rest are really nothing to bicker over.
fusionsdf
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada15390 Posts
February 14 2009 03:33 GMT
#116
On February 13 2009 15:22 thedeadhaji wrote:
Paint.net - a free photoshop with basic functionality. 100x better than standard paint.

Notepad++ - say goodbye to regular shitty notepad. Has tabbed documents, word wrap, etc.

There's others like Slypheen and stuff but i dont actively use them so I cant really comment on them.


notepad++ kicks so much ass when it comes to programming

its amazing
SKT_Best: "I actually chose Protoss because it was so hard for me to defeat Protoss as a Terran. When I first started Brood War, my main race was Terran."
anch
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States5457 Posts
February 14 2009 03:55 GMT
#117
any video converter that converts raw .rmvb/.rm to .wmp?
I am looking for optimum quality with compressed file size.
The shits I have been using converts a 44min video into a 600mb .wmv
IzzyCraft
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4487 Posts
February 14 2009 04:14 GMT
#118
You can do it with virtual dub mod i believe but there is some small set up before that so just try to find the guide.
I have ass for brains so,
even when I shit I'm droping knowledge.
jodogohoo
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada2533 Posts
February 14 2009 04:21 GMT
#119
On February 13 2009 15:49 xmShake wrote:
IrfanView
Replaces: Windows Photo Viewer
Loads quickly, pretty much every image format supported, and the slideshow function works great.
I guess it also can play video files and shit but I only use it for pictures.
http://www.irfanview.com/

i definitely agree, irfanview is great
GHOSTCLAW
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States17042 Posts
February 14 2009 04:31 GMT
#120
On February 14 2009 13:21 jodogohoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2009 15:49 xmShake wrote:
IrfanView
Replaces: Windows Photo Viewer
Loads quickly, pretty much every image format supported, and the slideshow function works great.
I guess it also can play video files and shit but I only use it for pictures.
http://www.irfanview.com/

i definitely agree, irfanview is great

+1 on this as well, it works great depending on what you're trying to do

tweakui if you run windows xp is yet another one that is just amazing
PhotographerLiquipedia. Drop me a pm if you've got questions/need help.
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 12 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 4
Laughngamez YouTube
FEL
01:00
ScienceCraft Qualifier
IndyStarCraft 258
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
IndyStarCraft 258
BRAT_OK 54
JuggernautJason39
MindelVK 19
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 24985
Mini 426
Hyuk 183
firebathero 174
ggaemo 124
Dewaltoss 73
Mong 47
Hyun 37
ToSsGirL 21
Dota 2
Gorgc8362
febbydoto5
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1432
crisheroes1180
Liquid`Hasu809
Other Games
Grubby3288
FrodaN2182
fl0m790
Beastyqt751
mouzStarbuck238
KnowMe221
ArmadaUGS123
Mew2King56
Trikslyr50
ToD37
Chillindude29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick984
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream35
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 91
• StrangeGG 50
• Adnapsc2 22
• LUISG 10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 21
• 80smullet 13
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8833
• WagamamaTV340
Other Games
• imaqtpie738
• Shiphtur243
• tFFMrPink 12
Upcoming Events
BSL: Ladder Tournament
28m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
15h 28m
INu's Battles
17h 28m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
20h 28m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d
BSL Open Qualifier
1d
Replay Cast
1d 5h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 15h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 16h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.