• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:37
CEST 19:37
KST 02:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8727 users

"free" programs people should know about - Page 10

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 Next All
SpiritoftheTunA
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States20903 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-01 10:16:37
March 01 2009 10:16 GMT
#181
man izzycraft, you give opera users a bad name

you sound like one of those ff zealots attacking ie

edit: except your points are even less valid o.O
posting on liquid sites in current year
VIB
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
Brazil3567 Posts
March 01 2009 11:18 GMT
#182
So.. anyone knows a good freeware alternative to Adobe Premiere? ^^
Great people talk about ideas. Average people talk about things. Small people talk about other people.
PhorClayton
Profile Joined July 2008
United States198 Posts
March 01 2009 12:24 GMT
#183
I design websites, so I know exactly what I'm talking about, and Opera blows as far as web standards is concerned.

Although it doesn't matter, I don't test on Opera, because no one uses it.
distant_voice
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Germany2521 Posts
March 01 2009 17:09 GMT
#184
On March 01 2009 21:24 PhorClayton wrote:
I design websites, so I know exactly what I'm talking about, and Opera blows as far as web standards is concerned.

Although it doesn't matter, I don't test on Opera, because no one uses it.


if what you say is true, then why does Opera so good in the ACID test?
This is my truth, tell me yours!
Centric
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States1989 Posts
March 05 2009 22:31 GMT
#185
Does anyone know a good, free software for ripping DVDs?
Super serious.
imBLIND
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States2626 Posts
March 05 2009 23:20 GMT
#186
On March 06 2009 07:31 Centric wrote:
Does anyone know a good, free software for ripping DVDs?


I think handbreak works pretty well...
open the dvd folder, then convert .vob to .avi
im deaf
xxsaznpride
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States506 Posts
April 21 2009 10:43 GMT
#187
Are there any picture viewers out there that can just go through .rar'd stuff without me having to open up winRar for each, say, volume or chapter of manga packed that way? Or am I stuck having to manually un-rar and re-zip each one for the sake of my Vista & Windows Picture Viewer?

On February 28 2009 07:43 Telemako wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 28 2009 06:39 xxsaznpride wrote:
edit2: What's a nice mass image downloader to use for, say, stealing all the pictures out of a 4chan thread? Sometimes the urge is just there, but the one I have now is fairly bad and limited.


DownloadThemAll! Firefox Extension

Right click on a site, download them all, choose file extensions and go!


I've tried installing this multiple times, now. When I restart Firefox and go back to my addons menu, it'll say that I still need to restart to complete the install. I've restarted my computer itself multiple times since but nothing's working.
“Life is too short to embrace a woman I don’t love. I also think a woman’s life is too short to be embraced by a man she doesn’t love.” | CSGO: Cure Moonlight
CubEdIn
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Romania5359 Posts
April 21 2009 11:00 GMT
#188
Lol, IzzyCraft, at first I thought your posts -though biased- made some sense, but then you just stepped into ignorance with your arms flailing.

I'll have you know that FF can do everything you were going on about, and more. I'll also have you know that I don't need 3/4 of that stuff you were mentioning, and I'm glad FF doesn't come with it. It comes as 'basic' and you can add whatever you like. You don't like code? That's ok, stick to Opera. But don't act like it's better because it comes with a bunch of features that most users don't even need/use.

Ever since the dawn of computing, things that could be modded were always appreciated by the 'fans', and FF wins this context hands down. I have everything I want and JUST that. It isn't a disadvantage that I can mod it to whatever I want. It's the biggest advantage ever. You don't feel like doing that? That's ok, you have Opera!
Im not a n00b, I just play like one.
Psychobabas
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
2531 Posts
April 21 2009 11:25 GMT
#189
LOL at recommending Adaware. Maybe if it was 4 years ago...

SuperAntispyware is the only thing you need:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-adware-spyware-scumware-remover.htm
statix
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
United States1760 Posts
January 07 2010 17:22 GMT
#190
Really old thread but piriform (ccleaner, defraggler) released a new program called Speccy which tells you a TON of detailed information about your system components. It's still only the beta version but it works great. Tried it on both my XP and 7 computers and all looks good.

http://www.piriform.com/speccy


SCC-Caliban
NiGoL
Profile Joined September 2008
1868 Posts
January 07 2010 17:33 GMT
#191
That is really awesome man, i knew almost everyone BUT you could add more in the future or the ones u get passed by eventually.

Avast is teh shit tho, best antivirus out there, and its free. SO PEOPLE just download it and RUN, enjoy.
http://www.twitter.com/NiGoLBW playing league on a competitive level
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
January 07 2010 18:09 GMT
#192
On March 02 2009 02:09 distant_voice wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 01 2009 21:24 PhorClayton wrote:
I design websites, so I know exactly what I'm talking about, and Opera blows as far as web standards is concerned.

Although it doesn't matter, I don't test on Opera, because no one uses it.


if what you say is true, then why does Opera so good in the ACID test?


Because it can run stuff that no other browser can and no one implements in their sites. In other words, you get tools to run stuff that does not exist (just like overpriced video cards that can run dx11). It also has torrent support (which is shit compared to programs dedicated to run torrents) and IRC (which again is crap).

And to IzzyCraft's knowledge (if he gets unbanned): FF is not great because it's secure. Its strength lies in plug-ins. Opera doesn't even come close to the functionality of FF with right plug-ins.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Lovin
Profile Joined May 2009
Denmark812 Posts
January 07 2010 19:36 GMT
#193
On January 08 2010 02:33 NiGoL wrote:
That is really awesome man, i knew almost everyone BUT you could add more in the future or the ones u get passed by eventually.

Avast is teh shit tho, best antivirus out there, and its free. SO PEOPLE just download it and RUN, enjoy.


I've got an F-Secure 2008... You reckon I should switch to Avast?
AKA SuddenSalad
MamiyaOtaru
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States1687 Posts
January 07 2010 21:33 GMT
#194
On January 08 2010 03:09 Manit0u wrote:
): FF is not great because it's secure. Its strength lies in plug-ins.

which are also a nice source of vulnerabilities.

this post of mine is pretty outdated now, but laid out my thoughts on extensions:

Typical (at the time anyway) Opera vs Firefox debate:
Firefox User: Opera is bloated.
Opera User: Opera does useful stuff like gestures and gives better control over tabs etc. It has more features.
Firefox User: That (and more) can all be added to Firefox through extensions.

From the article being discussed at that time: "Please note that at this time, users should not expect all of their extensions, plugins and themes from previous versions of Firefox to work properly." is one reason I would prefer Opera's method of having it built in. You just never know if all your addons will continue to work.

A while ago my Tabbrowser Preferences extension (temporarily at least) ceased being updated and no longer worked with newer versions of Firefox. Of course I was able to replace it with Tab Mix Plus. However, having features break and scrambling to find replacements is not really what I want to do with my browser. Not to mention all these extensions I install are from third parties, and sometimes conflict with each other.

I think the extensions are a great idea. Adblock was a very useful one. Opera users, lacking extensions, had to wait on the Opera devs to add equivalent functionality, which took a while. (They have added it now of course, which means Opera users don't have to go find and install it like Firefox users do), and with some Firefox extensions the Opera devs don't replicate it ever.

Each way has ups and downs. Extensions let Firefox users get features quicker (though they have to worry about versions and conflicts and third parties) while Opera's way lets its users get everything builtin and from one source, though some features may not exist, or take a while longer to get there since they can't be implemented by anyone but Opera itself (mitigated somewhat in the meantime with user.js)

Anyway, the bit I quoted earlier illustrates why, in my opinion, for someone who just wants things to work the builtin way might be preferable.


To sum up, extensions can have security vulnerabilities (not likely, but possible, and maybe mitigated in future versions of FF with process separation) and to me they seem like a mess. I had one too many instances of some extension being deprecated for my liking.

Obviously people love them, I don't claim to be representative of the general mindset Even so, I've got FF on most of my machines to handle those sites that don't work on Chrome or Opera and I don't really have anything against it.

Things could change though, as the upcoming Opera 10.5 has thus far done away with one of my favorite features (MDI). It's also got tabs in titlebar (as does FF 4) which some people seem to like. I could end up totally hating 10.5, though there could be people who end up liking it for the same reasons. Extensions is obviously always going to be a sticking point though :D
Smorrie
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Netherlands2955 Posts
January 07 2010 21:53 GMT
#195
On January 08 2010 04:36 Lovin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 08 2010 02:33 NiGoL wrote:
That is really awesome man, i knew almost everyone BUT you could add more in the future or the ones u get passed by eventually.

Avast is teh shit tho, best antivirus out there, and its free. SO PEOPLE just download it and RUN, enjoy.


I've got an F-Secure 2008... You reckon I should switch to Avast?


Avira AntiVir is the current #1 anti virus prog out there in my opinion. Avast is up there as well though. I just really dislike Avast's interface >_< Avira's is pretty nice but the price you pay is a very occasional pop-up (I think it randomly shows up on my computer once a day or so).

Some things I'd like to add:

Usenet downloading clients:
Sabnzbd+ is probably the best out there.
http://sabnzbd.org/

CD/DVD burning software:
I prefer ImgBurn over InfraRecorder since it's a bit more powerful and has some advanced options when you need them.
http://www.imgburn.com/
It has a strong technique, but it lacks oo.
ejac
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States1195 Posts
January 07 2010 21:56 GMT
#196
This thread is so pointless, here is the only free software you need: www.utorrent.com

Everything else comes with it.
esq>n
Smorrie
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Netherlands2955 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-01-07 23:08:25
January 07 2010 23:07 GMT
#197
On January 08 2010 06:56 ejac wrote:
This thread is so pointless, here is the only free software you need: www.utorrent.com

Everything else comes with it.


Wrong.

Open source software rocks. It's free, it's legal, in many cases the software is equal to or sometimes even better than the 'paid' alternative. So in those cases why would you go through the pain of downloading software through torrents that might be watched by 3rd parties (not like it will bring you in trouble but still), might contain viruses and/or trojans, might not come with a good serial or crack which you will have to search for after, might not be able to update because certain files are altered by a crack, and most likely will not give you any support because you have an illegal copy?

If you're an 'experienced downloader' you're less likely to come across these things that often but you still will. I'm tired of all of it and learned to appreciate free software Everyone should.
It has a strong technique, but it lacks oo.
GogoKodo
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Canada1785 Posts
January 07 2010 23:16 GMT
#198
A podcast I listen to recently talked about http://www.alternativeto.net it lists similar pieces of software to whatever you search for. It will show paid programs as well as free and open source stuff too. For example if you search photoshop it would show you Gimp and Paint.net and other stuff.
twitter: @terrancem
Wr3k
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada2533 Posts
January 08 2010 01:14 GMT
#199
Add FreeISOBurner to the list, its an 800kb no bullshit 100% free program that can burn ISO files without any issue.

http://www.freeisoburner.com/
Ludrik
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Australia523 Posts
January 08 2010 01:27 GMT
#200
On January 08 2010 08:07 Smorrie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 08 2010 06:56 ejac wrote:
This thread is so pointless, here is the only free software you need: www.utorrent.com

Everything else comes with it.


Wrong.

Open source software rocks. It's free, it's legal, in many cases the software is equal to or sometimes even better than the 'paid' alternative. So in those cases why would you go through the pain of downloading software through torrents that might be watched by 3rd parties (not like it will bring you in trouble but still), might contain viruses and/or trojans, might not come with a good serial or crack which you will have to search for after, might not be able to update because certain files are altered by a crack, and most likely will not give you any support because you have an illegal copy?

If you're an 'experienced downloader' you're less likely to come across these things that often but you still will. I'm tired of all of it and learned to appreciate free software Everyone should.

Pretty much everything open source I still download through torrents if it's a large file. When you think about it it actually reduces the costs of developing somehting open source because you aren't using their bandwidth.
Only a fool would die laughing. I was a fool.
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 4
Laughngamez YouTube
FEL
01:00
ScienceCraft Qualifier
IndyStarCraft 233
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 572
IndyStarCraft 224
BRAT_OK 53
MindelVK 11
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 27242
Mini 445
Hyuk 263
firebathero 185
ggaemo 121
Liquid`Ret 74
Mong 49
Hyun 42
Killer 29
PianO 24
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 21
Rock 17
Bale 10
Sacsri 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Dota 2
Gorgc9688
qojqva1666
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1306
crisheroes1210
Liquid`Hasu629
Other Games
Grubby2422
FrodaN2092
fl0m1150
Beastyqt763
Mlord369
Livibee162
KnowMe153
ArmadaUGS122
Mew2King55
Trikslyr44
ToD31
CosmosSc2 19
Chillindude8
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick936
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream38
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 47
• printf 46
• mYiSmile122
• Adnapsc2 14
• LUISG 9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki21
• Michael_bg 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7587
Other Games
• imaqtpie578
• Shiphtur242
• WagamamaTV225
Upcoming Events
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1h 23m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
16h 23m
INu's Battles
18h 23m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
21h 23m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 1h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 1h
Replay Cast
1d 6h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 16h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 17h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.