• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:18
CEST 23:18
KST 06:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8708 users

[Q] ¿How the videogames have helped you in life?

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
S.Unclean
Profile Joined February 2003
Colombia331 Posts
February 11 2009 22:30 GMT
#1
I'm invited to a live TV show about videogames tomorrow, there will be a psychologist talking about ludopathy and stuff, and people will be able to call and give their opinion.

My job is to give the "gamer perspective" of the subject, and I want to go as informed as I can about the good side of the videogames. I've done my homework and have some "sicence facts" about games and videogames, but I'm sure you can give me some ideas about the good things gaming has done for you, maybe your story or links and third party info about it.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the grammar mistakes.

kemoryan
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Spain1506 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-11 22:36:57
February 11 2009 22:35 GMT
#2
If they want to know your "gamer perspective" maybe you shouldn't look so much into scientific facts, since they'll already bring professionals as you said to cover this aspect (psychologists, etc.). I guess what they actually want to hear from you is your personal experience and the points of views of gaming as a gamer and not as a scientist.

Other than that, I'd say games have helped me develop a lot of latent abilities (awareness, quick/logical thinking, reflexes, etc.) depending of course on the types of games I play.
Freedom is a stranger
MoeMoeKyun
Profile Joined January 2009
United States215 Posts
February 11 2009 22:41 GMT
#3
Give me something to do for the duration of my long, probably 80 year old life. I'm 15 years atm, so i've still got a long way to go. Hope SC2 lasts a while
I lol in ur general direction
Retsukage
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States1002 Posts
February 11 2009 22:55 GMT
#4
On February 12 2009 07:41 SCC-AlwaysGG wrote:
Give me something to do for the duration of my long, probably 80 year old life. I'm 15 years atm, so i've still got a long way to go. Hope SC2 lasts a while

How do 15 year olds start playing sc, this really confuses me, I mean at least here in the states what attracts them to it.
To change is to improve, to change often is to be perfect - Winston Chruchill
SIUnit
Profile Joined December 2006
China288 Posts
February 11 2009 22:58 GMT
#5
hand eye coordination, reflex.

and if you play ddr on the crazy modes, mad exercise :p
ZoW
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States3983 Posts
February 11 2009 23:12 GMT
#6
After playing video games, I now know how to survive a zombie attack or apocalyptic disaster, and hijack cars a la grand theft auto =P

But as for personal experience:
RPG's improve math by a lot. Damage formulas, critical strike percentage, damage per second, magic resistance, hit/miss ratio, ect. Some games have really complicated formulas for everything, and its gotten to the point where I can easily calculate stuff without thinking a lot.
Playing fighting games competitively also raises your reflexes and creates good timing, as well as improving decision making.
My friend played Initial D for a while and he started to drive better.
And Starcraft is just ridiculous. I can't even go into how much its done for me.

Anyways, hope I helped. Good luck on your show!
the courage to be a lazy bum
liger13
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States1060 Posts
February 11 2009 23:17 GMT
#7
hmm.. overall, it defenitely helped my reading level when i was younger. Reading through all those RPGs and stuff... not to mention the basic hand eye coordination in other games...

although nowadays... its definitely helped create a social environment that me and my friends enjoy
I feel like pwning noobs
RoieTRS
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States2569 Posts
February 11 2009 23:19 GMT
#8
Tell them that video games help you the same way LSD does.
I eagerly await the results.
konadora, in Racenilatr's blog: "you need to stop thinking about starcraft or anything computer-related for that matter. It's becoming a bad addiction imo"
Cpt.Cocaine
Profile Joined June 2008
Canada299 Posts
February 11 2009 23:20 GMT
#9
On February 12 2009 07:35 kemoryan wrote:
If they want to know your "gamer perspective" maybe you shouldn't look so much into scientific facts, since they'll already bring professionals as you said to cover this aspect (psychologists, etc.). I guess what they actually want to hear from you is your personal experience and the points of views of gaming as a gamer and not as a scientist.


If I know my television, they won't bother looking for anyone credible, but rather they'll take the first clown with a phd they can find who'll give you the most pessimistic perspective possible.
Jaeden
Profile Joined September 2008
Romania1489 Posts
February 11 2009 23:21 GMT
#10
games help improve your english easy
Boxer: " Lee Jae Dong is the best player. He`s all about the micro; he`s the player which has the most amazing control"
minus_human
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
4784 Posts
February 11 2009 23:22 GMT
#11
Games help at basic math skills and coordination as stated..

However, from my personal experience, if there's one MAJOR thing hours upon hours of playing Starcraft taught me, it's that with enough perseverance you can really do almost anything. What I mean to say, practicing insane amounts at a video game really infused the idea that you can obtain anything you wish if your really put your mind to it and if you work enough.

I think most gamers tend to procrastinate ALOT in real life, and I'm no exception. So starcraft really proved useful to me, providing a certain psychological mechanism that I will keep for the rest of my life
MuR)Ernu
Profile Joined September 2008
Finland768 Posts
February 11 2009 23:23 GMT
#12
gaming has taught me language.
I basically learnt english very quickly since games are almost never translated into finnish =P

Also i have been playing lots of videogames with my brother, so it has had an impact on our relationship :D

Also better hand eye coordination, probably reflexes and who knows if understanding strategy behind starcraft for example has helped our brains to improbe? :o

Oh and i understand computers better than i would without gaming =P

Also gaming is a new artform Though many people don't consider it as such. But really really good games are real art. They have so many things to them, music, artwork, graphics, story, innovative gameplay.
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
February 11 2009 23:26 GMT
#13
On February 12 2009 07:55 Retsukage wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 12 2009 07:41 SCC-AlwaysGG wrote:
Give me something to do for the duration of my long, probably 80 year old life. I'm 15 years atm, so i've still got a long way to go. Hope SC2 lasts a while

How do 15 year olds start playing sc, this really confuses me, I mean at least here in the states what attracts them to it.


I'm 13 and my dad used to play, I've known/screwed around in game since I was 4 (when my dad played.)
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
Misrah
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States1695 Posts
February 11 2009 23:35 GMT
#14
Starcraft makes my mind sharper- my multitasking better.

For me video games make life move at a boring pace. Studying is sooo easy for me now. Normally when playing a video game your thinking about 12457014389 variables, and your mind is racing at light speed. SSBM anyone? I liken playing games to school work, because i notice that i can read very very fast, comprehend well and generally i am "smart" i get the hang of things quickly and can apply my knowledge faster than most of my classmates. Perhaps this is form playing video games?

I know for a fact that during my long play time of PSO 1&2 and PSOBB that my mathematical and statistical reasoning skills have increased. Along with interpersonal relationships. Because hey lets face it- trading items and bartering in a game where money is useless, takes a bit of work.

My reaction time and strategy has increased during the time I have played SSBM, Halo, Halo2 competitively. The strategy that people have to evolve on the fly in seconds really is astounding. Also compound the fact that you are constantly shooting, aiming, communicating with team mates, and trying to think about weapon spawn times, and map control at the same time is astounding.

Then of course we have good ol SC

I can say with out a doubt that SC has helped me in many facets of life.

-Very fast decision making skills
-The ability to multitask
-The ability to gather, compose and comprehend multiple variables quickly and come to a difinative answer in seconds.
-But most of all i think that Sc has helped me deal with people. You see i love playing people online because i can watch there playstle and come to fairly accurate conclusion about the following:

-Boy or Girl
- Temperament
- Age

It's cool watching a really really high risk aggressive loud mouth play a race, and then compare to my friend: The book smart, nerd quiet, intellectual type of guy. I find it fascinating that both players win the game, yet do so using such different methods.


IMO gaming has helped me to become a more intellectually sharper person.

I can think about many variables, and decide things very very quickly. Of course reaction time and hand eye coordination came along with that as well.

IMO gaming is better than real life because everything is so much more fast paced and exiting. I think that it has helped me in the real world but hey- just my oppinon.

On the other hand, scientists have shown a direct link to depression among gamers because of this exact problem.

Because we are so used to running our minds at 14598715 an hour, and having them constantly stimulated- real life, with it's slow and plodding pace can become extremely boring and will so find us dis interested. Thus we turn back to games, to get back our 'high' lol
A thread vaguely bashing SC2? SWARM ON, LOW POST COUNT BRETHREN! DEFEND THE GLORIOUS GAME THAT IS OUR LIVELIHOOD
MeriaDoKk
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
Chile1726 Posts
February 11 2009 23:37 GMT
#15
On February 12 2009 08:21 Jaeden wrote:
games help improve your english easy


This is so true. Well, gaming and movies for me, English was always my best class in terms of grades.
Night[Mare
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
Mexico4793 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-12 00:02:16
February 12 2009 00:00 GMT
#16
I agree here with the language stuff. My english practice mainly came from videogames. It also helped me teach me that you can do anything should you put enough effort into your stuff. Im quite pleased with that.

Also is a healthy hobby and i've met lots of friends online that i wouldnt have met if i hadnt play videogames. I've got friends in USA, Canada, Bolivia, Australia to name a few, that im sure we could hang out and have fun. And im not saying about my friends here in Mexico; thanks to videogames i've met one of my best friends and a close friend. I have friends in another two or three states that i've visited so its quite good for social life really
Teamliquidian townie
Eatme
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
Switzerland3919 Posts
February 12 2009 00:03 GMT
#17
Improved english and alot of friends are the major things I've got from gaming. Most likely improved social skills too.
I have the best fucking lawyers in the country including the man they call the Malmis.
minus_human
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
4784 Posts
February 12 2009 00:08 GMT
#18
Wow how could I forget about the foreign language. As a kid I had a good start with English, but I wouldn't have gotten anywhere without mass gaming and TV to help me capitalize on it and evolve.

I actually got pretty far in the National English School Olympics here, and I owe in in large proportion to playing exclusively English video games
minus_human
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
4784 Posts
February 12 2009 00:11 GMT
#19
And I also found TL through SC

That'll make me like an instant member of the secret society we will become when TL will take over the world in the next couple of years
DanceCommander
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States1808 Posts
February 12 2009 00:17 GMT
#20
Starcraft has helped me connect with other people I have never met in my entire life, on and offline. It also has given me the gift to spread this wonderful game to other people. I cannot say how many times my cousin and I have stayed up late into the night watching proleague VODs, or more specifically the epic bo5 of July vs Best... I loved watching my cousin get into it as much as I did.
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 42m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 239
Nina 119
SteadfastSC 111
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 2402
910 61
Bale 13
Super Smash Bros
PPMD52
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu1087
Other Games
summit1g6676
Grubby2314
shahzam584
C9.Mang0189
UpATreeSC55
Liquid`Ken1
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream25
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 73
• Hupsaiya 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Eskiya23 36
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21063
League of Legends
• TFBlade599
Other Games
• imaqtpie951
• Shiphtur286
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
1h 42m
Afreeca Starleague
12h 42m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
13h 42m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 2h
Patches Events
1d 18h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.