• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:10
CEST 09:10
KST 16:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War605.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8089 users

Serious Business - Page 2

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
December 16 2008 19:18 GMT
#21
odded xusneb's reply to op
Not_Computer
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Canada2277 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-16 21:53:50
December 16 2008 19:21 GMT
#22
in response to Xusneb's post i agree

i'd also like to add that if you don't agree with someone elses opinion, you are more than welcome to voice your disagreement. (before i type the next line, i want to note that TL has better quality posters than most other forums and has a surprisingly better average post response) however, it annoys me soooo much when people respond with a one line, or even one word, unintelligible answer. things like "rofl no, stfu noob" (which would hopefully and probably get you banned if a mod sees the post) or just a plain "um no". but there are still a couple of posters who insist on voicing their disagreement without giving the slightest hint of justification or reason.

the only reason i stick around and have stuck around TL for so long (and i'm sure most of you agree with this, or otherwise wouldn't be reading it) is because the TL community is more open to individuals and although we love to jump on bandwagons, we still acknowledge the "other side" and still give attention to "the other person's story". i hope this continues.

but anyways, i'm still somewhat (can't think of the right word) afraid of TL people because there are a lot of unknowns and insecurities that knowing a person irl wouldn't bring. also because of the sheer size of TL (though surprisingly for our numbers we don't have as active posting... but i guess that's because of spam reduction?) all these random names without faces seem ominous.
i know there's a ton of TL people in and around (within an hour or two drive) Toronto yet i've never met any of them. the world has gotten a lot smaller and, to be honest, perhaps i've bumped into some of you guys on the TTC and not even have noticed. coincidences happen all the time. i'm also kinda worried about first impressions. though on the other hand, ii always found it hilarious to call each other by id and not actual names.

i also agree with haji in that there's a lot of well contributing and active personas with low post counts and at the same time a ton of people i've never seen before with thousands of posts. i probably don't mind "useless" posts as much as most other people do (posts like, "great post, so true" haha, just kidding poilord) and i enjoy seeing posts like these because it tells me that other people have read and responded and gives a general consensus of approval or disapproval and where my personal opinion stands amidst it.

edit: i was just thinking, i kinda contradicted myself: i like nonsensical posts as long as they're positive and contributing (well, wouldn't really be nonsense then i guess). i just don't like nonsense posts that troll or degrade the previous poster
"Jaedong hyung better be ready. I'm going to order the most expensive dinner in Korea."
NeoIllusions
Profile Blog Joined December 2002
United States37500 Posts
December 16 2008 19:25 GMT
#23
Hi haji. :3
ModeratorFor the Glory that is TeamLiquid (-9 | 155) | Discord: NeoIllusions#1984
Night[Mare
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
Mexico4793 Posts
December 16 2008 19:54 GMT
#24
i personally agree with haji, great post btw. I hope there were more events for people to go, and that it would be easier to go. Its quite hard to travel without money t.t
Teamliquidian townie
poilord
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Germany3252 Posts
December 16 2008 20:39 GMT
#25
I hereby dedicate this post to Not_Computer
Guilty
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Canada812 Posts
December 16 2008 21:01 GMT
#26
Great post, awsome ideas

woot for canada, i too live within 2hours of toronto
"How hard could it be?" -J. Clarkson
Not_Computer
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Canada2277 Posts
December 16 2008 21:51 GMT
#27
On December 17 2008 05:39 poilord wrote:
I hereby dedicate this post to Not_Computer


thanks, good post! i totally agree!
XD
"Jaedong hyung better be ready. I'm going to order the most expensive dinner in Korea."
indecision
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Germany818 Posts
December 16 2008 22:02 GMT
#28
ok, so when's the next chance to meet TL people in Europe?
grobo
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Japan6199 Posts
December 16 2008 22:13 GMT
#29
On December 17 2008 07:02 indecision wrote:
ok, so when's the next chance to meet TL people in Europe?


Whenever it is, let me know!
We make signature, then defense it.
kidd
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
United States2848 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-16 22:33:39
December 16 2008 22:24 GMT
#30
Xusneb, I pretty much completely agree with your post. Sometimes I write out (not too much anymore) long posts and try to say something super intelligent to spark some sort of conversation only to have it end as the last post on the page. Then, after its posted it is over looked by someone posting something irrelevant or just flat out stupid bumping the thread to a new page.

In fact, sometimes I think that people will get quoted and posts will be discussed MORE if the content in them is completely ridiculous or just so wrong that everyone will feel the need to flame/tell them why they are wrong and what the right answer is. I really don't understand why we as forum readers feel the need to strongly discuss the stupid posts made by people rather than the really good ones? For example, If I were to just make a post saying "Haji you are a fucking faggot and this is a stupid idea" I can guarentee that that post would be quoted tons, I would be flamed, and probably eventually banned. It seems that those type of posting habits attract the most attention here.

Unfortunately I think we are all guilty of this, and usually if a thread is really really long and I come into it late (say its 10+ pages or so) I will usually skim over the medium to low length posts unless I see someone quoting a long post to respect it.


edit: btw, I probably perfectly fit the category of the poster who has been here since 2002 with over a thousand posts but no one has ever heard of me lol.
Hi
Fontong
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States6454 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-16 22:25:25
December 16 2008 22:25 GMT
#31
On December 17 2008 04:54 RtS)Night[Mare wrote:
i personally agree with haji, great post btw. I hope there were more events for people to go, and that it would be easier to go. Its quite hard to travel without money t.t

Or without the ability to drive X(((((.

I recommend to all the high school people to not put academics over learning to drive, otherwise you end up in your first year of college and still can't drive hehe.

Luckily I can walk to semioldguys house from my dorm.

Edit: Great post haji!
[SECRET FONT] "Dragoon bunker"
Pholon
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Netherlands6142 Posts
December 16 2008 22:27 GMT
#32
Good topic, in that it set me thinking. I've only been actively around for half a year or so so it may be too early to tell but up til now I met zero people. Sure I helped out, and got helped out, left and right but I don't really know anyone really (as far as 'being acquianted' goes, I wouldn't even know a first name of someone). I've tried contributing to the site by posting in the Small VOD topic a couple of times but I don't really have skills to contribute in any other way.
Making friends through the internet however is very real. I've made several friends and met several (international) people that I'd only know through MSN or w/e before. I helped them out in some way, they helped me out etc. You mention meet-ups and I've been toying with the idea of organising a OSL-finals (or w/e) all nighter for some time now (also I'd definitely try to attend one in travelling distance) and your topic just inspired me to make work of it It is true, so far I have only had positive experiences with meeting up with people who have a common interest or goal and I'd love to get more organised events in the neighbourhood.
Cheers
Moderator@TLPholon // "I need a third hand to facepalm right now"
Quesadilla
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States1814 Posts
December 16 2008 22:37 GMT
#33
I agree full on. I hung w/ Haji while he was suuuuper "out of it" *ahem* at Blizzcon. Being in the same room and Starcraft are the only things we had in common at that moment, but that's all it takes for me to be able strike up a conversation down the line, such as now. Sup!?! ^_~_^_~_^_~

Proof that I agree with this post:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=63757
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=67726
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=74766

And if you're in SoCal, sack-up and come to
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=79962
Make a lot of friends. Wear good clothes. Drink good beer. Love a nice girl.
Xusneb
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Canada612 Posts
December 16 2008 22:44 GMT
#34
Hey thanks for the reply! It's keeping me from lurking

I just want to add that I think TL is one of the best places for a lurker to start posting. The mods do a great job running a tight ship and trolls are frequently banned. A useless poster isn't allowed to run free posting single word responses ("LOL", "STFU", "QFT") everywhere. God, I used to browse the wow forums and I swear I lost a lot of brain cells there.

(Actually off on a tangent here: there are so many updates! Since I've been here I've seen TLPD, TSL, liquibitions, power rank, new forums etc. etc. Really great work by the dedicated staff. I was gonna write a blog about this but I guess it can be summed up in two words: TL ROCKS! :D)

As long as you write out an intelligible, thought-out post, you will be fine. Plus, this place is one of the most DIVERSE forums I've ever visited. Like haji said, there are scientists, lawyers, teachers, doctors in our midst. I believe the median age here is fairly high at least judging from some of the topics that spring up (5 page topics on astrophysics, finance, politics? Wow!). Yea, TL is a great place and it's just about the only forum I visit these days. Who knew that starcraft could bring together all these different kinds of people?
If you want to be happy, be. - Leo Tolstoy
LosingID8
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
CA10835 Posts
December 16 2008 22:56 GMT
#35
i went to blizzcon and honestly it was probably the highlight of my semester. it was really a lot of fun meeting everyone from TL (plexa, LR, haji, zatic, sog, intrigue, chill, pano, spiral, tuna, etc etc etc)

and if you go to something like blizzcon and someone asks who you are, please don't say "you wouldn't know me, i'm just a lurker" if you have an account. just say your username so when i get back on TL and i see your (rare) post i have some name-face recognition going on.
ModeratorResident K-POP Elitist
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
December 16 2008 23:11 GMT
#36
When I went to the OSL final party at semioldguy's place, I felt a lot less uncomfortable than I thought I would. I've never seen a forum with such a sense of community as TL has. It's really amazing.

I owe a lot to this place I think, and I intend on sticking around for a long time.
RIP Aaliyah
rei
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States3594 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-16 23:22:24
December 16 2008 23:14 GMT
#37
I visit TL daily since 2002, as you can see my post count does not reflect the time I am with TL community. It is because I think If i don't have anything important or nice to say about something i read, I try my best to not say any at all.

TL however is a lot more than a source for entertainment. like the OP said there are many well educated people visit here, few PHDs, few masters, and many future achievers. The community members use these resource in ways of mutual benefit. I myself was guilty of asking Mani for an Interview as it was part of my graduate study. (thanks again Mani)

In reflection of the very limited posts I have made throughout these past 6+ years visiting TL daily. I asked myself what did I give? Honestly, I didn't give much at all, people who benefited from my posts are very limited. I tried to offer tips on how to debate an argument in many of my posts, however, my choice of words are extremely due to my inflated ego, and in many ways the posts were way to long to read. Other than the very few that is engaged, the rest I assumed did not read any of them. And those few that are actually engaged can't stand my inflated ego to see past the words and see whatever effort I was trying to make.

There I will label myself as a leecher, but I am willing to share, anyone need help on a Chinese - English translation, any physics or math related problems, tips in knowledge acquisition strategies, I will try my best to help.

PS. in reference to OP, I belief my limited posts reflect my persona very well, more so that in real life discussions.
GET OUT OF MY BASE CHILL
azndsh
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States4447 Posts
December 16 2008 23:21 GMT
#38
college students are poor T_T

and busy with school...
Kennigit *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada19447 Posts
December 16 2008 23:47 GMT
#39
Quesadilla is your CD on itunes yet?
ShadowDrgn
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States2497 Posts
December 17 2008 00:02 GMT
#40
On December 17 2008 07:56 LosingID8 wrote:
and if you go to something like blizzcon and someone asks who you are, please don't say "you wouldn't know me, i'm just a lurker" if you have an account. just say your username so when i get back on TL and i see your (rare) post i have some name-face recognition going on.


I was extremely surprised by how many people at Blizzcon recognized my account name despite my low post count.
Of course, you only live one life, and you make all your mistakes, and learn what not to do, and that’s the end of you.
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 51m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4853
Leta 1852
Shuttle 1725
BeSt 394
Soma 123
Soulkey 63
ZergMaN 57
sorry 43
Shine 33
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm195
League of Legends
JimRising 609
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King50
Other Games
summit1g8211
WinterStarcraft668
Sick210
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV197
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Sammyuel 30
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2273
League of Legends
• Rush1157
• Lourlo1116
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2h 51m
Patches Events
7h 51m
BSL Open Qualifier
11h 51m
BSL Open Qualifier
11h 51m
OSC
15h 51m
OSC
1d 4h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.