• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:12
CEST 15:12
KST 22:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)65Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12222 users

[H] Laser eye surgery

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Normal
BG1
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Canada1550 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-10-28 04:04:12
October 28 2008 04:03 GMT
#1
I've been planning to get laser eye surgery for quite a while now. I've finally saved up enough money and seeing as over half of the people on TL are nearsighted I figured this would be a good place to ask for some advice.
I'm sure that there are at least a few people here who have done it and was hoping you could share your experience and answer some of my questions.

I'd like to know...

- Which type of Laser treatment did you choose specifically and why. I know there's Lasik, Lasek, PRK and probably a bunch of others too.

- What was the procedure?

- What was your perscription?

- How much did it cost you?

- How long was the recovery time?

- Did you have any problems/side effects?

- How long ago did you do it and is your vision still good now?

- Would you recommend it?

Feel free to add other stuff too.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!



There was once a dream that was Esports. You could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish... Now is the time to make that dream a reality!
Ghin
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States2391 Posts
October 28 2008 04:28 GMT
#2
ask your eye doctor lol
Legalize drugs and murder.
Raithed
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
China7078 Posts
October 28 2008 04:29 GMT
#3
On October 28 2008 13:28 Ghin wrote:
ask your eye doctor lol

BG1
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Canada1550 Posts
October 28 2008 04:32 GMT
#4
On October 28 2008 13:28 Ghin wrote:
ask your eye doctor lol


Done that already, I want to see others experiences and input.
There was once a dream that was Esports. You could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish... Now is the time to make that dream a reality!
[GiTM]-Ace
Profile Joined September 2002
United States4935 Posts
October 28 2008 04:54 GMT
#5
Dunno but every eye doctor I asked says don't so I listen to the pros
I may not be the best player right now but I think I can beat any 'best' players. I'll beat all the best players and become the best player. Watch me. - Jju
Pyrrhuloxia
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States6700 Posts
October 28 2008 05:04 GMT
#6
I hear it's pretty sketchy and risky but maybe not, I dunno.
lmaonnaise
Profile Joined October 2006
Canada153 Posts
October 28 2008 05:14 GMT
#7
Both of my parents did lasik and they're perfectly fine with it (no problems and no side effects as far as I know). Don't really know much about the other details, but they said their vision got slightly worse over time after their surgery.
Azrael1111
Profile Joined July 2008
United States550 Posts
October 28 2008 05:18 GMT
#8
Dad got it, he was pretty satisfied with it. Went from needing glasses/contacts to being perfectly fine except for small print (which isnt too abnormal considering hes 50).
Physician *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4146 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-11-02 11:08:54
October 28 2008 05:20 GMT
#9
I went through ur same questions once.. did some research, watched a few and opted to keep my glasses on a few more years. My main reason was not rational, I just had not stomach for it.. afterall I know better than most how mortal we are, including those in my field.. let me find u what I mean:

- here is a decent one, there are more on u tube - u''ll enjoy min 3:19



- now for the u need stomach part:



+ Show Spoiler +
- who ever u chose make sure he has done more than 4000 cases, and u ask for his specific percentages of re-surgeries and % of patients with complications, pkr can be safer but there are disaster cases there too..

- here is a decent summary of the different types laser sx
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-different-types-of-laser-eye-surgery.htm

There are two fundamentally different types of laser eye surgery: PRK and LASIK. Under these two categories, there are several different flavors or modifications of each type. For example, LASEK (with an "E") is just a newer type of PRK. All techniques are performed with the patient awake and drops are used to numb the eye(s).

The types of laser eye surgery that fall under the category of PRK do so because they all involve a surface ablation technique to remove the cornea's outermost layer, called the epithelium, rather than creating a flap via a cutting technique as used in LASIK procedures. Removing the epithelium is the first step of laser eye surgery. The next step is reshaping the cornea by excimer laser. Here, the model of excimer laser varies as do guidance or mapping systems associated with each model. The more precise the mapping and reshaping system, the better the results.

Following is a brief overview of the different types of laser eye surgery that use surface ablation techniques:

*PRK (PhotoRefractive Keratectomy) In PRK the outermost layer of the cornea (epithelium) is manually scraped away and an excimer laser reshapes tissues located on the underlying (stromal) surface of the cornea. Afterwards the epithelium layer must grow back. PRK is an option for those with thin corneas where the creation of a cornea flap by cutting is undesirable. Drawbacks of PRK include a longer recovery period and more discomfort during healing than with LASIK. The two main advantages are that PRK does not create a cornea flap by microkeratome blade, which is the part of laser eye surgery that carries the most risk, and it does not penetrate deeply into the cornea, reducing the risk of ectasia. (Ectasia is a condition of inner eye pressure pushing out against a thinned corneal wall, causing it to bulge resulting in worsening vision over time.)

A Canadian version of PRK (transepithelial PRK) uses an excimer laser to vaporize the epithelium, rather than manually scraping it away.

LASEK (Laser Assisted Sub-Epithelial Keratomileusis), An advanced form of PRK that uses alcohol in solution to first soften then remove the epithelium. After the excimer laser reshapes the stroma to correct the vision, the epithelium is replaced. The advantage of LASEK over PRK is that the healing process is hastened while still avoiding the use of a cutting blade to create a cornea flap.

Epi-LASEK This modified LASEK procedure uses a "separator" to preserve a living layer of epithelium, which is replaced after the excimer laser reshapes the stroma. Epi-LASEK seeks to reduce discomfort and healing time even further than LASEK.

Following are examples of LASIK, or the different types of laser eye surgery that create a corneal flap by cutting, either with a microkeratome blade or laser:

LASIK (Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis) uses a microkeratome metal blade to cut the cornea flap and an excimer laser to reshape the eye. After the procedure, the flap is returned to its position. This is painless for most patients, and unlike PRK techniques, vision is immediately corrected, though some blurriness may be present for the first 24 hours and vision will improve for a period of weeks.

Custom Vue Lasik: Uses the same hardware as conventional Lasik but the excimer laser is guided by advanced software called Wavefront. In this procedure vision is measured by mapping the optical system using technology that is 25% more accurate than traditional methods. The map is so exact it is likened to a fingerprint. No two surgeries are alike, hence the name. Because of the precision it can be used to correct vision or to correct imperfections created by other laser procedures. Reportedly patients can expect 20/20 vision using Custom Vue Lasik with many people experiencing even better results. The need for a second procedure is less common (but if the microkeratome blade causes imperfections during the Custom Vue session, those imperfections would not be correctable until a later procedure).

Conventional IntraLasik Uses a femtosecond Intralase laser to make the corneal flap, rather than a metal blade. This allows a much thinner flap to be created, and eliminates imperfections caused by a metal blade. This is regarded as a far superior method for corneal flap creation. The only drawbacks are that it takes about a minute to create a flap, rather than seconds, and it is more expensive. Also, if an excimer laser is used without Wavefront technology, imperfections can still result from the second step of the procedure — the actual reshaping of the eye.

*Custom Vue IntraLasik This type of laser eye surgery combines the best of all worlds. It uses a laser to create a cornea flap, and Custom Vue's Waterfront technology to guide the excimer laser for the best possible results. It is also the most expensive type of laser eye surgery.

Custom Vue with Wavefront guidance technology cannot be used with all excimer lasers. VISX Star S4 is one type of laser that does accommodate it, and it is a "tissue saving" model as well. Other types of excimer lasers are guided by other wavefront technologies. Some require the pupils be dilated for the mapping process, such as the Alcon LADARVision laser that uses CustomCornea Wavefront technology. Some physicians report that dilation can cause the center of the pupil to shift, offsetting the preciseness of the wavefront map, resulting in less than optimal results. In FDA clinical trials where nearsighted patients underwent laser surgery and were retested after a 6-month period, *95.8% of those who were treated with *VISX Star4 Custom Vue Lasik retained 20/20 vision, compared to 79.9% treated by Alcon LADARVision CustomCornea.

There are many issues associated with laser eye surgery and this article is not intended to be an exhaustive list of those issues nor an endorsement of any particular brand or technology, but rather a guide so that you will be more prepared to ask questions of your ophthalmologist about any options he or she may present. Among the questions you might want to ask: *What is the baseline of expectation associated with this type of laser eye surgery? How accurate is the mapping/reshaping process? What percentage of people require a second procedure? What percentage of people have halo, glare, or night vision problems afterwards? Is the laser and procedure 100% FDA-approved?

Most reputable centers for eye laser surgery note that 20/20 vision from laser-corrected surgery may not be like 20/20 vision with corrective lenses. Some haze or other side effects can result from laser eye surgery, though technology is always working to eliminate these. The most advanced techniques that carry the least amount of risk for side-effects are often more expensive. RK (Radial Keratotomy) is an obsolete form of corrective eye surgery that reshaped the cornea by making a series of radial slits. RK predates the excimer laser and people who had RK may benefit from PRK or Lasik.

Not everyone is a candidate for laser eye surgery. Though it is considered safe, serious risks can be involved. For more information consult your ophthalmologist.




when he says "no one has gone blind"... that's really debatable since medical blindness means no vision.. plenty have become "legally blind" or in need of cornea transplant.. *



http://www.lifeafterlasik.com/lasiktv.htm a ton of unhappy patients..







"I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...."
XDawn
Profile Blog Joined February 2004
Canada4040 Posts
October 28 2008 05:32 GMT
#10
I'm planning on getting this, of course maybe in a few years
But I have sensitive eyes and I can't barley put contacts on
I can't begin to imagine HOW they don't manage to blink during the operation.

I totally would, even with the things holding them up
Use it or lose it
BG1
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Canada1550 Posts
November 01 2008 20:03 GMT
#11
Come on guys share your experiences.
There was once a dream that was Esports. You could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish... Now is the time to make that dream a reality!
JeeJee
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Canada5652 Posts
November 01 2008 20:08 GMT
#12
On October 28 2008 14:32 XDawn wrote:
I'm planning on getting this, of course maybe in a few years
But I have sensitive eyes and I can't barley put contacts on
I can't begin to imagine HOW they don't manage to blink during the operation.

I totally would, even with the things holding them up


your eyelids are being held apart, you can't really blink even if you want to
(\o/)  If you want it, you find a way. Otherwise you find excuses. No exceptions.
 /_\   aka Shinbi (requesting a name change since 27/05/09 ☺)
-orb-
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States5770 Posts
November 01 2008 20:57 GMT
#13
On October 28 2008 13:54 [GiTM]-Ace wrote:
Dunno but every eye doctor I asked says don't so I listen to the pros


Eye doctors want your money, so if you get laser eye surgery and no longer have to pay for new checkups, or new contact lenses, or new glasses perscriptions, etc then that's bad for them.
'life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery'
how sad that sc2 has no shield battery :(
hiroxx
Profile Joined July 2008
Ireland115 Posts
November 01 2008 21:11 GMT
#14
^i doubt that, i thought eye doctors didnt get more money for more checkups ect
when yoü aim for Perfection yoü discover it's a Moving target.
BatTheMan
Profile Joined July 2005
Canada759 Posts
November 01 2008 22:16 GMT
#15
that looks more like needle than a lazer :S good thing i have perfect vision
aka RichardNPL (RichardNamPhong@Azeroth)
Liquid`Nazgul
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
22427 Posts
November 01 2008 22:22 GMT
#16
mine has been about 3 years ago I'm really happy with it but I totally don't remember what it was or what it costed
Administrator
koziol
Profile Joined October 2008
Poland768 Posts
November 01 2008 22:40 GMT
#17
I am planning on doing it too.. What I heard is that it is safe ,but you must be over 21 years old - so you no more grow up and your eyes arent going any worse if you know what I mean. It costs 5k zl - polish money - thats about 2,2k$ for one eye.
ilovehnk
Profile Joined October 2008
475 Posts
November 01 2008 22:42 GMT
#18
I am wearing contacts right now and considering doing lasik later. There is one that requires no cutting open the eye, just laser. Also another procedure better than lasik and produces much better results.
Hikou Shinketsushuu
Archaic
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States4024 Posts
November 01 2008 22:51 GMT
#19
I kinda went the other way there. I had two week contacts, then switched to dailies. After a while, I realized how much better glasses were. They were so much more convenient. Just use them instead =P.
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
November 01 2008 22:54 GMT
#20
Also glasses can be a fashion statement. If I were to ever get laser eye surgery or contacts, I'd like a pair of non-prescription glasses just so I could wear them. Seriously. I love glasses.

Also if you ever get in a fight and they knock off your glasses, you still have perfect vision! IT'S A SURPRISE!
Moderator
Liquid`Nazgul
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
22427 Posts
November 01 2008 23:13 GMT
#21
I did the one without cutting so that seems to be lasik
Administrator
BG1
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Canada1550 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-11-02 06:18:18
November 02 2008 06:17 GMT
#22
On November 02 2008 07:51 Archaic wrote:
I kinda went the other way there. I had two week contacts, then switched to dailies. After a while, I realized how much better glasses were. They were so much more convenient. Just use them instead =P.


I don't like wearing glasses for several reasons... My biggest problem with glasses is the field of view, I hate it when I look up, down or to the sides and you see the drastic change in vision. I don't want to be dependant on glasses, I play a lot of sports and am pretty active, I don't want to wear glasses while doing those activities, my prescription is pretty low so i don't wear them anyways but I'd like to have normal vision. Not to mention the fact that they make you look like a different person... Also, when you wear glasses regularly your vision tends to get worse overtime and you have higher and higher prescriptions, I only wear mine on "special" occasions, sometimes I don't wear them for several months in a row and my perscription has been the same for 7 years, I'd like to keep it that way.

Contacts are a different story, I don't like putting them in and I don't want foreign objects in my eyes, not to mention all the other inconveniences.
That's why I'm strongly considering laser.
There was once a dream that was Esports. You could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish... Now is the time to make that dream a reality!
DrainX
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
Sweden3187 Posts
November 02 2008 06:23 GMT
#23
On November 02 2008 05:08 JeeJee wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 28 2008 14:32 XDawn wrote:
I'm planning on getting this, of course maybe in a few years
But I have sensitive eyes and I can't barley put contacts on
I can't begin to imagine HOW they don't manage to blink during the operation.

I totally would, even with the things holding them up


your eyelids are being held apart, you can't really blink even if you want to

Remind me of A Clockwork Orange ;_;
Meiya
Profile Joined August 2007
Australia1169 Posts
November 02 2008 06:25 GMT
#24
I'm considering laser surgery at some point as well, just because even strapped sports glasses can become inconvenient in a military or any physically active environment.

Let us know how it goes if you do it, BG1.

Does anybody know statistics these days on laser surgery going wrong in any way?
Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands.
Normal
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
SHIN 232
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings109
CranKy Ducklings SOOP48
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko367
SHIN 232
ProTech148
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 40831
Bisu 2100
Shuttle 1916
Hyuk 1679
Larva 415
EffOrt 412
Soma 395
Mini 352
ZerO 286
firebathero 226
[ Show more ]
Last 122
Leta 87
hero 82
Zeus 72
Pusan 62
Killer 48
Hm[arnc] 47
Hyun 47
Sexy 45
Trap 45
Bale 40
ToSsGirL 30
Aegong 27
PianO 25
zelot 23
sorry 17
yabsab 11
JulyZerg 10
Noble 10
Sacsri 7
Icarus 6
Rock 5
ajuk12(nOOB) 4
Dota 2
Gorgc4496
qojqva1417
Dendi973
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor854
crisheroes686
Liquid`Hasu58
Other Games
gofns44459
singsing2576
B2W.Neo1160
DeMusliM296
Happy275
Livibee218
Mew2King93
ArmadaUGS82
Liquid`VortiX75
ZerO(Twitch)17
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream121
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 89
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 10881
League of Legends
• Jankos1713
Other Games
• WagamamaTV226
Upcoming Events
FEL
2h 49m
AI Arena Tournament
3h 49m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5h 49m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
20h 49m
INu's Battles
22h 49m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 5h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 5h
Replay Cast
1d 10h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 20h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.