• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:35
CEST 18:35
KST 01:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War225.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8647 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 480

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 478 479 480 481 482 6004 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
iamthedave
Profile Joined February 2011
England2814 Posts
July 16 2018 07:19 GMT
#9581
On July 16 2018 15:44 Leporello wrote:


"and now, the Rigged Witch Hunt!"

He's not even blaming the "witch hunt" on the worsened relationship, as much as the "foolishness". Crimea? I guess the U.S.'s fault? All that "years of foolishness"? What?

So, yeah. In about two years I expect the average Republican household to be speaking Russian at this rate.

The President just blamed America for Russian aggression. I think? I, uhm. IDK. Maybe the "Deep State" wrote this tweet? What's the excuse here? I know it gets old saying it: but this is fucking crazy.


Didn't he officially blame Obama for Crimea?
I'm not bad at Starcraft; I just think winning's rude.
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
July 16 2018 07:42 GMT
#9582
On July 16 2018 15:44 Leporello wrote:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1018738368753078273

"and now, the Rigged Witch Hunt!"

He's not even blaming the "witch hunt" on the worsened relationship, as much as the "foolishness". Crimea? I guess the U.S.'s fault? All that "years of foolishness"? What?

So, yeah. In about two years I expect the average Republican household to be speaking Russian at this rate.

The President just blamed America for Russian aggression. I think? I, uhm. IDK. Maybe the "Deep State" wrote this tweet? What's the excuse here? I know it gets old saying it: but this is fucking crazy.

edit: I would argue that for a President to say such a thing is actually open treason, and not Trump's first. "or in adhering to their [the US's] enemies, giving them aid and comfort" is the law for treason. He's done that many times. Perhaps never so obtusely as this, although yukking with Kislyak and Putin's friends over firing the FBI director in the Oval Office comes pretty close.
Actually this comes second to that Oval Office meeting. If the GOP had any actual patriotism, a call for impeachment hearings should've happened on that reporting, over a year ago. Instead, they tried, and largely succeeded, in sweeping it under the rug.

You seriously want someone to be convicted for treason for a tweet critical of the USA? And you’re complaining that the GOP should be more patriotic? The last spell of USA extreme patriotism led to endless wars in Iraq and Afganistan.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
Leporello
Profile Joined January 2011
United States2845 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-07-16 08:53:41
July 16 2018 08:44 GMT
#9583
No, I want impeachment hearings.

And the "it's just a tweet" thing doesn't work for me. He uses it, silly as it is, as an official platform. Maybe because he knows you'll call it silly when he uses it dismantle global order? Everyone knows he makes first public statements there. He made THIS statement there. It is a global platform. I really don't know why that's silly. He is throwing enemy propaganda in your face. But, you know... I'm happy to not call it a crime. That's really not the point.

And you're confusing patriotism with nationalism, maybe, because obviously, yes, lacking patriotism is very much the current issue with the GOP. Likewise, they confuse party with country. Our democracy was attacked, and the response has been traitorous. I don't fucking say that because I like it. I say that because, jesus christ, look at what the President just "tweeted". And do you expect people like Daunt to take offense to it, or defend it?

2 years ago, were Republicans talking about isolating from NATO?

He has rewarded the enemy that helped him get elected, and he has been able to accomplish that reward BECAUSE of the Republican party. Because they lack patriotism, or at least, have completely switched party for country.
Big water
Leporello
Profile Joined January 2011
United States2845 Posts
July 16 2018 08:47 GMT
#9584
On July 16 2018 16:19 iamthedave wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2018 15:44 Leporello wrote:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1018738368753078273

"and now, the Rigged Witch Hunt!"

He's not even blaming the "witch hunt" on the worsened relationship, as much as the "foolishness". Crimea? I guess the U.S.'s fault? All that "years of foolishness"? What?

So, yeah. In about two years I expect the average Republican household to be speaking Russian at this rate.

The President just blamed America for Russian aggression. I think? I, uhm. IDK. Maybe the "Deep State" wrote this tweet? What's the excuse here? I know it gets old saying it: but this is fucking crazy.


Didn't he officially blame Obama for Crimea?

Well now it's my fault, too.
Big water
Jockmcplop
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United Kingdom10006 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-07-16 09:30:19
July 16 2018 09:28 GMT
#9585
On July 16 2018 17:44 Leporello wrote:
No, I want impeachment hearings.

And the "it's just a tweet" thing doesn't work for me. He uses it, silly as it is, as an official platform. Maybe because he knows you'll call it silly when he uses it dismantle global order? Everyone knows he makes first public statements there. He made THIS statement there. It is a global platform. I really don't know why that's silly. He is throwing enemy propaganda in your face. But, you know... I'm happy to not call it a crime. That's really not the point.

And you're confusing patriotism with nationalism, maybe, because obviously, yes, lacking patriotism is very much the current issue with the GOP. Likewise, they confuse party with country. Our democracy was attacked, and the response has been traitorous. I don't fucking say that because I like it. I say that because, jesus christ, look at what the President just "tweeted". And do you expect people like Daunt to take offense to it, or defend it?

2 years ago, were Republicans talking about isolating from NATO?

He has rewarded the enemy that helped him get elected, and he has been able to accomplish that reward BECAUSE of the Republican party. Because they lack patriotism, or at least, have completely switched party for country.


The point is the precedent that would be set by charging the president with treason over a tweet. Its probably not a good idea.
Imagine that the president realizes that he can now jail people for treason over tweets they had sent. I would imagine that a painful few years would follow for everyone.

This is exactly what people are talking about when they say that the media has gone insane over Trump. All perspective is being lost in the quest to be rid of a guy who, lets be honest, isn't as bad as the guy who might take over from him.

Sometimes principles have to guide you, in this case I would recommend looking at the practicalities.
RIP Meatloaf <3
hunts
Profile Joined September 2010
United States2113 Posts
July 16 2018 09:32 GMT
#9586
On July 16 2018 18:28 Jockmcplop wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2018 17:44 Leporello wrote:
No, I want impeachment hearings.

And the "it's just a tweet" thing doesn't work for me. He uses it, silly as it is, as an official platform. Maybe because he knows you'll call it silly when he uses it dismantle global order? Everyone knows he makes first public statements there. He made THIS statement there. It is a global platform. I really don't know why that's silly. He is throwing enemy propaganda in your face. But, you know... I'm happy to not call it a crime. That's really not the point.

And you're confusing patriotism with nationalism, maybe, because obviously, yes, lacking patriotism is very much the current issue with the GOP. Likewise, they confuse party with country. Our democracy was attacked, and the response has been traitorous. I don't fucking say that because I like it. I say that because, jesus christ, look at what the President just "tweeted". And do you expect people like Daunt to take offense to it, or defend it?

2 years ago, were Republicans talking about isolating from NATO?

He has rewarded the enemy that helped him get elected, and he has been able to accomplish that reward BECAUSE of the Republican party. Because they lack patriotism, or at least, have completely switched party for country.


The point is the precedent that would be set by charging the president with treason over a tweet. Its probably not a good idea.
Imagine that the president realizes that he can now jail people for treason over tweets they had sent. I would imagine that a painful few years would follow for everyone.


That is a false equivalence fallacy. the presidents twitter has been stated by the white house to be his official form of communication as the president. That is different from average joe saying things on twitter. Holding trump accountable for the things he says on twitter, after the white house had stated that his twitter is a source of his official statements, would not at all lead to regular people being tried for treason for talking shit on twitter.
twitch.tv/huntstv 7x legend streamer
Jockmcplop
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United Kingdom10006 Posts
July 16 2018 09:35 GMT
#9587
On July 16 2018 18:32 hunts wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2018 18:28 Jockmcplop wrote:
On July 16 2018 17:44 Leporello wrote:
No, I want impeachment hearings.

And the "it's just a tweet" thing doesn't work for me. He uses it, silly as it is, as an official platform. Maybe because he knows you'll call it silly when he uses it dismantle global order? Everyone knows he makes first public statements there. He made THIS statement there. It is a global platform. I really don't know why that's silly. He is throwing enemy propaganda in your face. But, you know... I'm happy to not call it a crime. That's really not the point.

And you're confusing patriotism with nationalism, maybe, because obviously, yes, lacking patriotism is very much the current issue with the GOP. Likewise, they confuse party with country. Our democracy was attacked, and the response has been traitorous. I don't fucking say that because I like it. I say that because, jesus christ, look at what the President just "tweeted". And do you expect people like Daunt to take offense to it, or defend it?

2 years ago, were Republicans talking about isolating from NATO?

He has rewarded the enemy that helped him get elected, and he has been able to accomplish that reward BECAUSE of the Republican party. Because they lack patriotism, or at least, have completely switched party for country.


The point is the precedent that would be set by charging the president with treason over a tweet. Its probably not a good idea.
Imagine that the president realizes that he can now jail people for treason over tweets they had sent. I would imagine that a painful few years would follow for everyone.


That is a false equivalence fallacy. the presidents twitter has been stated by the white house to be his official form of communication as the president. That is different from average joe saying things on twitter. Holding trump accountable for the things he says on twitter, after the white house had stated that his twitter is a source of his official statements, would not at all lead to regular people being tried for treason for talking shit on twitter.


This is a fair point I guess.
Either way, its a fairly tenuous argument that what he said constitutes treason, Its just an interpretation of past events.
RIP Meatloaf <3
hunts
Profile Joined September 2010
United States2113 Posts
July 16 2018 09:38 GMT
#9588
On July 16 2018 18:35 Jockmcplop wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2018 18:32 hunts wrote:
On July 16 2018 18:28 Jockmcplop wrote:
On July 16 2018 17:44 Leporello wrote:
No, I want impeachment hearings.

And the "it's just a tweet" thing doesn't work for me. He uses it, silly as it is, as an official platform. Maybe because he knows you'll call it silly when he uses it dismantle global order? Everyone knows he makes first public statements there. He made THIS statement there. It is a global platform. I really don't know why that's silly. He is throwing enemy propaganda in your face. But, you know... I'm happy to not call it a crime. That's really not the point.

And you're confusing patriotism with nationalism, maybe, because obviously, yes, lacking patriotism is very much the current issue with the GOP. Likewise, they confuse party with country. Our democracy was attacked, and the response has been traitorous. I don't fucking say that because I like it. I say that because, jesus christ, look at what the President just "tweeted". And do you expect people like Daunt to take offense to it, or defend it?

2 years ago, were Republicans talking about isolating from NATO?

He has rewarded the enemy that helped him get elected, and he has been able to accomplish that reward BECAUSE of the Republican party. Because they lack patriotism, or at least, have completely switched party for country.


The point is the precedent that would be set by charging the president with treason over a tweet. Its probably not a good idea.
Imagine that the president realizes that he can now jail people for treason over tweets they had sent. I would imagine that a painful few years would follow for everyone.


That is a false equivalence fallacy. the presidents twitter has been stated by the white house to be his official form of communication as the president. That is different from average joe saying things on twitter. Holding trump accountable for the things he says on twitter, after the white house had stated that his twitter is a source of his official statements, would not at all lead to regular people being tried for treason for talking shit on twitter.


This is a fair point I guess.
Either way, its a fairly tenuous argument that what he said constitutes treason, Its just an interpretation of past events.


As much as I want him gone I would have to agree that that tweet is not treason, just a very stupid and harmful thing for him to say. But maybe someone who is more knowledgeable than me could weigh in on whether or not that could constitute as such.
twitch.tv/huntstv 7x legend streamer
m4ini
Profile Joined February 2014
4215 Posts
July 16 2018 10:00 GMT
#9589
On July 16 2018 15:44 Leporello wrote:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1018738368753078273

"and now, the Rigged Witch Hunt!"

He's not even blaming the "witch hunt" on the worsened relationship, as much as the "foolishness". Crimea? I guess the U.S.'s fault? All that "years of foolishness"? What?

So, yeah. In about two years I expect the average Republican household to be speaking Russian at this rate.

The President just blamed America for Russian aggression. I think? I, uhm. IDK. Maybe the "Deep State" wrote this tweet? What's the excuse here? I know it gets old saying it: but this is fucking crazy.

edit: I would argue that for a President to say such a thing is actually open treason, and not Trump's first. "or in adhering to their [the US's] enemies, giving them aid and comfort" is the law for treason. He's done that many times. Perhaps never so obtusely as this, although yukking with Kislyak and Putin's friends over firing the FBI director in the Oval Office comes pretty close.
Actually this comes second to that Oval Office meeting. If the GOP had any actual patriotism, a call for impeachment hearings should've happened on that reporting, over a year ago. Instead, they tried, and largely succeeded, in sweeping it under the rug.


Nah. Crimea is Obamas fault, that much was established and confirmed by dauntless.

Maybe i should prepare a nuclear shelter, because if the relations are worse than they were in the cold war, you know, cuban missile crisis, submarine "wars", all that jazz..

Must be really bad then right?
On track to MA1950A.
zlefin
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
United States7689 Posts
July 16 2018 11:25 GMT
#9590
On July 16 2018 18:28 Jockmcplop wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2018 17:44 Leporello wrote:
No, I want impeachment hearings.

And the "it's just a tweet" thing doesn't work for me. He uses it, silly as it is, as an official platform. Maybe because he knows you'll call it silly when he uses it dismantle global order? Everyone knows he makes first public statements there. He made THIS statement there. It is a global platform. I really don't know why that's silly. He is throwing enemy propaganda in your face. But, you know... I'm happy to not call it a crime. That's really not the point.

And you're confusing patriotism with nationalism, maybe, because obviously, yes, lacking patriotism is very much the current issue with the GOP. Likewise, they confuse party with country. Our democracy was attacked, and the response has been traitorous. I don't fucking say that because I like it. I say that because, jesus christ, look at what the President just "tweeted". And do you expect people like Daunt to take offense to it, or defend it?

2 years ago, were Republicans talking about isolating from NATO?

He has rewarded the enemy that helped him get elected, and he has been able to accomplish that reward BECAUSE of the Republican party. Because they lack patriotism, or at least, have completely switched party for country.


The point is the precedent that would be set by charging the president with treason over a tweet. Its probably not a good idea.
Imagine that the president realizes that he can now jail people for treason over tweets they had sent. I would imagine that a painful few years would follow for everyone.

This is exactly what people are talking about when they say that the media has gone insane over Trump. All perspective is being lost in the quest to be rid of a guy who, lets be honest, isn't as bad as the guy who might take over from him.

Sometimes principles have to guide you, in this case I would recommend looking at the practicalities.

the next in line is Pence, who isn't nearly as bad as Trump. are you talking about some other "guy who might take over after him"?
Great read: http://shorensteincenter.org/news-coverage-2016-general-election/ great book on democracy: http://press.princeton.edu/titles/10671.html zlefin is grumpier due to long term illness. Ignoring some users.
iamthedave
Profile Joined February 2011
England2814 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-07-16 11:57:43
July 16 2018 11:36 GMT
#9591
On July 16 2018 18:28 Jockmcplop wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2018 17:44 Leporello wrote:
No, I want impeachment hearings.

And the "it's just a tweet" thing doesn't work for me. He uses it, silly as it is, as an official platform. Maybe because he knows you'll call it silly when he uses it dismantle global order? Everyone knows he makes first public statements there. He made THIS statement there. It is a global platform. I really don't know why that's silly. He is throwing enemy propaganda in your face. But, you know... I'm happy to not call it a crime. That's really not the point.

And you're confusing patriotism with nationalism, maybe, because obviously, yes, lacking patriotism is very much the current issue with the GOP. Likewise, they confuse party with country. Our democracy was attacked, and the response has been traitorous. I don't fucking say that because I like it. I say that because, jesus christ, look at what the President just "tweeted". And do you expect people like Daunt to take offense to it, or defend it?

2 years ago, were Republicans talking about isolating from NATO?

He has rewarded the enemy that helped him get elected, and he has been able to accomplish that reward BECAUSE of the Republican party. Because they lack patriotism, or at least, have completely switched party for country.


The point is the precedent that would be set by charging the president with treason over a tweet. Its probably not a good idea.
Imagine that the president realizes that he can now jail people for treason over tweets they had sent. I would imagine that a painful few years would follow for everyone.

This is exactly what people are talking about when they say that the media has gone insane over Trump. All perspective is being lost in the quest to be rid of a guy who, lets be honest, isn't as bad as the guy who might take over from him.

Sometimes principles have to guide you, in this case I would recommend looking at the practicalities.


There's a more important practicality at work here: The President should be held to a higher standard of behaviour than your drunken neighbour at the end of a nine hour bender.

His behaviour reflects on the USA as a whole, and your entire country is denigrated by what he does on twitter.

That seems to warrant a more stringent attitude towards it, no?
I'm not bad at Starcraft; I just think winning's rude.
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
July 16 2018 11:52 GMT
#9592
On July 16 2018 20:25 zlefin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2018 18:28 Jockmcplop wrote:
On July 16 2018 17:44 Leporello wrote:
No, I want impeachment hearings.

And the "it's just a tweet" thing doesn't work for me. He uses it, silly as it is, as an official platform. Maybe because he knows you'll call it silly when he uses it dismantle global order? Everyone knows he makes first public statements there. He made THIS statement there. It is a global platform. I really don't know why that's silly. He is throwing enemy propaganda in your face. But, you know... I'm happy to not call it a crime. That's really not the point.

And you're confusing patriotism with nationalism, maybe, because obviously, yes, lacking patriotism is very much the current issue with the GOP. Likewise, they confuse party with country. Our democracy was attacked, and the response has been traitorous. I don't fucking say that because I like it. I say that because, jesus christ, look at what the President just "tweeted". And do you expect people like Daunt to take offense to it, or defend it?

2 years ago, were Republicans talking about isolating from NATO?

He has rewarded the enemy that helped him get elected, and he has been able to accomplish that reward BECAUSE of the Republican party. Because they lack patriotism, or at least, have completely switched party for country.


The point is the precedent that would be set by charging the president with treason over a tweet. Its probably not a good idea.
Imagine that the president realizes that he can now jail people for treason over tweets they had sent. I would imagine that a painful few years would follow for everyone.

This is exactly what people are talking about when they say that the media has gone insane over Trump. All perspective is being lost in the quest to be rid of a guy who, lets be honest, isn't as bad as the guy who might take over from him.

Sometimes principles have to guide you, in this case I would recommend looking at the practicalities.

the next in line is Pence, who isn't nearly as bad as Trump. are you talking about some other "guy who might take over after him"?

Let me tell you, as someone who is thoroughly done with Trump after everything, I'm also not thrilled at the hypothetical of Pence taking his place. He would only serve to perpetuate Christian white male privilege, and would probably be far better at getting repugnant policies to slip through the net. If there's one bit of silver lining with Trump's idiocy, it's that he doesn't know how to get much of anything done.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
zlefin
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
United States7689 Posts
July 16 2018 11:56 GMT
#9593
On July 16 2018 20:52 NewSunshine wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2018 20:25 zlefin wrote:
On July 16 2018 18:28 Jockmcplop wrote:
On July 16 2018 17:44 Leporello wrote:
No, I want impeachment hearings.

And the "it's just a tweet" thing doesn't work for me. He uses it, silly as it is, as an official platform. Maybe because he knows you'll call it silly when he uses it dismantle global order? Everyone knows he makes first public statements there. He made THIS statement there. It is a global platform. I really don't know why that's silly. He is throwing enemy propaganda in your face. But, you know... I'm happy to not call it a crime. That's really not the point.

And you're confusing patriotism with nationalism, maybe, because obviously, yes, lacking patriotism is very much the current issue with the GOP. Likewise, they confuse party with country. Our democracy was attacked, and the response has been traitorous. I don't fucking say that because I like it. I say that because, jesus christ, look at what the President just "tweeted". And do you expect people like Daunt to take offense to it, or defend it?

2 years ago, were Republicans talking about isolating from NATO?

He has rewarded the enemy that helped him get elected, and he has been able to accomplish that reward BECAUSE of the Republican party. Because they lack patriotism, or at least, have completely switched party for country.


The point is the precedent that would be set by charging the president with treason over a tweet. Its probably not a good idea.
Imagine that the president realizes that he can now jail people for treason over tweets they had sent. I would imagine that a painful few years would follow for everyone.

This is exactly what people are talking about when they say that the media has gone insane over Trump. All perspective is being lost in the quest to be rid of a guy who, lets be honest, isn't as bad as the guy who might take over from him.

Sometimes principles have to guide you, in this case I would recommend looking at the practicalities.

the next in line is Pence, who isn't nearly as bad as Trump. are you talking about some other "guy who might take over after him"?

Let me tell you, as someone who is thoroughly done with Trump after everything, I'm also not thrilled at the hypothetical of Pence taking his place. He would only serve to perpetuate Christian white male privilege, and would probably be far better at getting repugnant policies to slip through the net. If there's one bit of silver lining with Trump's idiocy, it's that he doesn't know how to get much of anything done.

I'm not thrilled with it either; but I stand by my point that he's still far better than Trump. are you disputing that point, or just noting your general concerns/problems with him?
Great read: http://shorensteincenter.org/news-coverage-2016-general-election/ great book on democracy: http://press.princeton.edu/titles/10671.html zlefin is grumpier due to long term illness. Ignoring some users.
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24385 Posts
July 16 2018 12:00 GMT
#9594
On July 16 2018 20:52 NewSunshine wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2018 20:25 zlefin wrote:
On July 16 2018 18:28 Jockmcplop wrote:
On July 16 2018 17:44 Leporello wrote:
No, I want impeachment hearings.

And the "it's just a tweet" thing doesn't work for me. He uses it, silly as it is, as an official platform. Maybe because he knows you'll call it silly when he uses it dismantle global order? Everyone knows he makes first public statements there. He made THIS statement there. It is a global platform. I really don't know why that's silly. He is throwing enemy propaganda in your face. But, you know... I'm happy to not call it a crime. That's really not the point.

And you're confusing patriotism with nationalism, maybe, because obviously, yes, lacking patriotism is very much the current issue with the GOP. Likewise, they confuse party with country. Our democracy was attacked, and the response has been traitorous. I don't fucking say that because I like it. I say that because, jesus christ, look at what the President just "tweeted". And do you expect people like Daunt to take offense to it, or defend it?

2 years ago, were Republicans talking about isolating from NATO?

He has rewarded the enemy that helped him get elected, and he has been able to accomplish that reward BECAUSE of the Republican party. Because they lack patriotism, or at least, have completely switched party for country.


The point is the precedent that would be set by charging the president with treason over a tweet. Its probably not a good idea.
Imagine that the president realizes that he can now jail people for treason over tweets they had sent. I would imagine that a painful few years would follow for everyone.

This is exactly what people are talking about when they say that the media has gone insane over Trump. All perspective is being lost in the quest to be rid of a guy who, lets be honest, isn't as bad as the guy who might take over from him.

Sometimes principles have to guide you, in this case I would recommend looking at the practicalities.

the next in line is Pence, who isn't nearly as bad as Trump. are you talking about some other "guy who might take over after him"?

Let me tell you, as someone who is thoroughly done with Trump after everything, I'm also not thrilled at the hypothetical of Pence taking his place. He would only serve to perpetuate Christian white male privilege, and would probably be far better at getting repugnant policies to slip through the net. If there's one bit of silver lining with Trump's idiocy, it's that he doesn't know how to get much of anything done.

Pence is unquestionably worse. Not only does he support (at least nominally) virtually everything Trump does he's also got (what can now be seen as completely performative) the whole maliciously delusional Christian thing going.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Jockmcplop
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United Kingdom10006 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-07-16 12:23:22
July 16 2018 12:23 GMT
#9595
On July 16 2018 20:36 iamthedave wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2018 18:28 Jockmcplop wrote:
On July 16 2018 17:44 Leporello wrote:
No, I want impeachment hearings.

And the "it's just a tweet" thing doesn't work for me. He uses it, silly as it is, as an official platform. Maybe because he knows you'll call it silly when he uses it dismantle global order? Everyone knows he makes first public statements there. He made THIS statement there. It is a global platform. I really don't know why that's silly. He is throwing enemy propaganda in your face. But, you know... I'm happy to not call it a crime. That's really not the point.

And you're confusing patriotism with nationalism, maybe, because obviously, yes, lacking patriotism is very much the current issue with the GOP. Likewise, they confuse party with country. Our democracy was attacked, and the response has been traitorous. I don't fucking say that because I like it. I say that because, jesus christ, look at what the President just "tweeted". And do you expect people like Daunt to take offense to it, or defend it?

2 years ago, were Republicans talking about isolating from NATO?

He has rewarded the enemy that helped him get elected, and he has been able to accomplish that reward BECAUSE of the Republican party. Because they lack patriotism, or at least, have completely switched party for country.


The point is the precedent that would be set by charging the president with treason over a tweet. Its probably not a good idea.
Imagine that the president realizes that he can now jail people for treason over tweets they had sent. I would imagine that a painful few years would follow for everyone.

This is exactly what people are talking about when they say that the media has gone insane over Trump. All perspective is being lost in the quest to be rid of a guy who, lets be honest, isn't as bad as the guy who might take over from him.

Sometimes principles have to guide you, in this case I would recommend looking at the practicalities.


There's a more important practicality at work here: The President should be held to a higher standard of behaviour than your drunken neighbour at the end of a nine hour bender.

His behaviour reflects on the USA as a whole, and your entire country is denigrated by what he does on twitter.

That seems to warrant a more stringent attitude towards it, no?


It does, yeah, but it certainly doesn't warrant treason charges. How stringent can you be on a platform that has a tiny character limit.
The most stringent way of policing the President's use of twitter is to tell him not to use it.
RIP Meatloaf <3
ShoCkeyy
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
7815 Posts
July 16 2018 13:03 GMT
#9596
This Trump Putin meeting, ugh,.... whats going to come out of it T_T
Life?
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
July 16 2018 13:06 GMT
#9597
--- Nuked ---
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 16 2018 13:09 GMT
#9598
Trump walks into meetings like he already got what he wants and then says they are big successes. Look at NK if you want the clearest example.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46506 Posts
July 16 2018 13:19 GMT
#9599
On July 16 2018 22:06 JimmiC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2018 22:03 ShoCkeyy wrote:
This Trump Putin meeting, ugh,.... whats going to come out of it T_T

A lot of tweets. Both sides proclaiming the other is terrible and the worst. Then a whole bunch of nothing because we will be onto the next big event, rinse and repeat over and over.


I would expect Trump's response to continue the whole "I love Putin, he's the best" trend, and Putin's response to continue the whole "The top of Trump's head is pretty" trend.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
July 16 2018 13:23 GMT
#9600
--- Nuked ---
Prev 1 478 479 480 481 482 6004 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 26m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech137
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 28115
Calm 6378
Bisu 1978
Jaedong 1386
Larva 667
BeSt 492
Soma 440
Light 434
Stork 365
Snow 297
[ Show more ]
Rush 286
ZerO 235
Free 142
Barracks 132
Zeus 111
Mind 102
910 94
Killer 40
Trap 38
Hyun 35
Shinee 34
Terrorterran 29
ToSsGirL 28
Aegong 24
Rock 22
Bale 21
sorry 18
Sexy 11
soO 9
Sacsri 8
Noble 4
Dota 2
Gorgc9893
XaKoH 373
Counter-Strike
fl0m4194
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes540
Other Games
singsing2212
hiko893
B2W.Neo643
FrodaN620
mouzStarbuck259
Beastyqt249
DeMusliM194
Hui .174
Livibee174
RotterdaM137
Trikslyr92
C9.Mang082
KnowMe77
QueenE71
Mew2King48
BRAT_OK 34
edward22
ZerO(Twitch)21
MindelVK13
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Dystopia_ 26
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2746
• TFBlade577
Other Games
• Shiphtur800
Upcoming Events
OSC
6h 26m
Big Brain Bouts
17h 26m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 2h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 17h
Patches Events
1d 22h
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.