• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:56
CEST 18:56
KST 01:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror SC4ALL II: Brood War Player Announcement 4/4 Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9150 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 4193

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4191 4192 4193 4194 4195 5994 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
brian
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States9643 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-04-24 12:10:21
April 24 2024 11:59 GMT
#83841
On April 24 2024 09:14 KwarK wrote:
It’d be a lot easier to be pro Palestinian without being anti semitic if Palestine wasn’t currently politically and militarily controlled by anti semites. Right now you have to be against the political embodiment of Palestinians while being pro Palestinian to walk that line.



i’m sure you did not find it that hard to be pro american people during the trump administration. i know our administration changes more frequently than hamas does, and the stakes are worse. so the comparison isn’t equal but the line really isn’t all that thin to walk, is really more the point. a people aren’t defined by their leaders.

i think you claimed a few times trump is a racist, did you identify as a racist as a result? of course not. and nor should you, and nor should those supporting palestinians be identified as anti semites.
Dan HH
Profile Joined July 2012
Romania9246 Posts
April 24 2024 12:14 GMT
#83842
On April 24 2024 12:48 WombaT wrote:
Bit busy with work, did a cursory Google earlier and it was articles featuring quotes of public figures condemning anti-Semitic sentiment with these campus protests, but I’ve yet to see examples of it. I think the one article that may have actually delved into that was unfortunately paywalled. As such, outside of the obvious anti-Semitism isn’t cool stance I cannae have any real informed opinion on this.

I imagine this is one of those occasions where not being in self-exile from Twitter would probably help as it’s definitely good for on-site citizen journalism or self-documentation

Same, usually the videos show up before the condemnations. It raised some red flags for me to see so many condemnations without any displays of said anti-semitism showing up in my feeds.

With hundreds of political figures talking about horrific anti-semitic rhetoric and threats of violence against Jewish students at these protests, it's honestly impressive how little actual anti-semitic material the protesters gave them to work with. I went on a deeper dive and worst I could find was a couple of questionable signs and some dude yelling "go back to Poland" to a counter-protester. You can probably hear worse than that at a pub on a Tuesday evening.


Jockmcplop
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United Kingdom10006 Posts
April 24 2024 12:26 GMT
#83843
On April 24 2024 21:14 Dan HH wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2024 12:48 WombaT wrote:
Bit busy with work, did a cursory Google earlier and it was articles featuring quotes of public figures condemning anti-Semitic sentiment with these campus protests, but I’ve yet to see examples of it. I think the one article that may have actually delved into that was unfortunately paywalled. As such, outside of the obvious anti-Semitism isn’t cool stance I cannae have any real informed opinion on this.

I imagine this is one of those occasions where not being in self-exile from Twitter would probably help as it’s definitely good for on-site citizen journalism or self-documentation

Same, usually the videos show up before the condemnations. It raised some red flags for me to see so many condemnations without any displays of said anti-semitism showing up in my feeds.

With hundreds of political figures talking about horrific anti-semitic rhetoric and threats of violence against Jewish students at these protests, it's honestly impressive how little actual anti-semitic material the protesters gave them to work with. I went on a deeper dive and worst I could find was a couple of questionable signs and some dude yelling "go back to Poland" to a counter-protester. You can probably hear worse than that at a pub on a Tuesday evening.



After seeing how willing people were to repeat over and over again Israel's UNRWA lie, I'm now not believing any accusations of antisemitism that don't come with evidence.

I have a feeling that once people start holding these accusations to those standards, the number of antisemitism accusations that are seen as credible will be reduced 100 fold.
RIP Meatloaf <3
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-04-24 12:56:27
April 24 2024 12:55 GMT
#83844
--- Nuked ---
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27459 Posts
April 24 2024 13:01 GMT
#83845
On April 24 2024 21:26 Jockmcplop wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2024 21:14 Dan HH wrote:
On April 24 2024 12:48 WombaT wrote:
Bit busy with work, did a cursory Google earlier and it was articles featuring quotes of public figures condemning anti-Semitic sentiment with these campus protests, but I’ve yet to see examples of it. I think the one article that may have actually delved into that was unfortunately paywalled. As such, outside of the obvious anti-Semitism isn’t cool stance I cannae have any real informed opinion on this.

I imagine this is one of those occasions where not being in self-exile from Twitter would probably help as it’s definitely good for on-site citizen journalism or self-documentation

Same, usually the videos show up before the condemnations. It raised some red flags for me to see so many condemnations without any displays of said anti-semitism showing up in my feeds.

With hundreds of political figures talking about horrific anti-semitic rhetoric and threats of violence against Jewish students at these protests, it's honestly impressive how little actual anti-semitic material the protesters gave them to work with. I went on a deeper dive and worst I could find was a couple of questionable signs and some dude yelling "go back to Poland" to a counter-protester. You can probably hear worse than that at a pub on a Tuesday evening.



After seeing how willing people were to repeat over and over again Israel's UNRWA lie, I'm now not believing any accusations of antisemitism that don't come with evidence.

I have a feeling that once people start holding these accusations to those standards, the number of antisemitism accusations that are seen as credible will be reduced 100 fold.

I remain open minded, I did a cursory Google for variants of campus anti-Semitism, a lot leading me back a few years to ADL having pretty damming findings about anti-Semitism in ‘peacetime’ as it were. Which, while both interesting and alarming wasn’t what I was looking for.

And, as I said I’m not on Twitter, don’t really use Reddit and a lot of coal face news disseminates there.

But if these protests are so infested with anti-Semitism it shouldn’t be hard to grab a picture or two and publish it alongside a story. And, as I’ve said twice before if anyone does have such reading material, bring it to the table and I’ll change my tune.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27459 Posts
April 24 2024 13:09 GMT
#83846
Why thank you Jimmy, my previous post looks somewhat silly as I was typing it out right as you posted that, but I’ll take the egg on the face.

Ratio to people not doing that aside, that seems pretty obviously blatantly anti-Semitic and something that should be disavowed entirely
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
brian
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States9643 Posts
April 24 2024 13:59 GMT
#83847
i do think reasonable folks can agree hate and terrorism is gross on any side while also having the notion that both palestinians and israelis (and now some americans) should stop having their civilians killed.
Jockmcplop
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United Kingdom10006 Posts
April 24 2024 14:15 GMT
#83848
On April 24 2024 21:55 JimmiC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2024 21:26 Jockmcplop wrote:
On April 24 2024 21:14 Dan HH wrote:
On April 24 2024 12:48 WombaT wrote:
Bit busy with work, did a cursory Google earlier and it was articles featuring quotes of public figures condemning anti-Semitic sentiment with these campus protests, but I’ve yet to see examples of it. I think the one article that may have actually delved into that was unfortunately paywalled. As such, outside of the obvious anti-Semitism isn’t cool stance I cannae have any real informed opinion on this.

I imagine this is one of those occasions where not being in self-exile from Twitter would probably help as it’s definitely good for on-site citizen journalism or self-documentation

Same, usually the videos show up before the condemnations. It raised some red flags for me to see so many condemnations without any displays of said anti-semitism showing up in my feeds.

With hundreds of political figures talking about horrific anti-semitic rhetoric and threats of violence against Jewish students at these protests, it's honestly impressive how little actual anti-semitic material the protesters gave them to work with. I went on a deeper dive and worst I could find was a couple of questionable signs and some dude yelling "go back to Poland" to a counter-protester. You can probably hear worse than that at a pub on a Tuesday evening.



After seeing how willing people were to repeat over and over again Israel's UNRWA lie, I'm now not believing any accusations of antisemitism that don't come with evidence.

I have a feeling that once people start holding these accusations to those standards, the number of antisemitism accusations that are seen as credible will be reduced 100 fold.

That guardian article left out much of the story. First there was all the initial photographs of the staff that was fired doing things like carrying body’s and transporting hostages. Then there is all the very interestingly worded lack of “neutrality” in the education and so on, which basically means they were teaching hate. Well it is true that they didn’t provide additional information to the group that they claim is antisemitic it does not mean they didn’t provide additional information to the countries that pulled out.

As for the type of hate that is spewing out here is an example, and this does not mean everyone there feels this way or even most. But no one is stopping it and lots are cheering and agreeing.


https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2024/4/22/biden-condemns-blatant-anti-semitism-at-columbia-pro-palestine-protests

Videos of the below quote circulating are what changed Justin from talking about how pro Palestine rallies were not antisemitism but condemning anti semitism

Show nested quote +
What drew considerable attention were the many demonstrators cheering on as a man chanted, “Long live Oct. 7.” But this, too, is nothing new. “There is only one solution, intefadeh, revolution.” “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free.” All of these slogans — and other chants — are constantly repeated and have been for more than six months.


https://nationalpost.com/opinion/trudeaus-response-to-ottawa-hate-rally-too-little-too-late

There has also been firebombing, vandalism, bomb threats and so on.


I'd like to see some of the videos that are being referred to. I'll have a look for them later when I'm not at work.
However, it does sound like these protests have got people going way over the line of what's acceptable.

I'm not sure what's enough to characterize the entire protest as antisemitic, but that's one of those things where people will never agree. Like what % of the protest has to be out of order for the whole thing to be bad?

Again, I have a problem with there only being testimony. That's because of number of lies going around. Take a video. If its signs that are antisemitic people only need to take a photo. Easy.


When it comes to the UNRWA stuff, the photos you are referring to could basically be of anyone. Have you even seen them? Its also not UNRWA, but an independent inquiry that Israel has had 3 months to provide evidence to and has failed to do so.
I have a feeling it was their much lauded AI program that designated these individuals as terrorists. The same system that has led to 200 aid workers being killed.
RIP Meatloaf <3
Sermokala
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States14211 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-04-24 14:42:31
April 24 2024 14:40 GMT
#83849
On April 24 2024 17:34 WombaT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2024 15:18 Sermokala wrote:
Yeah the bigotry isn't the issue it's people pointing out the bigotry that's the issue. You can safely ignore people without power because we don't respect them or what they say but the people we do think have value should know better than call out bad actors.

It fully depends on what bigotry is being pointed out to begin with to be fair.

Over in the UK there were pro-Palestine protests absolutely chock full of anti-Semitism (and plenty without), but the reporting surrounding them that I read/watched was full of absolutely blatant examples of it.

Perhaps I suck at Googling but articles I’ve been looking up about this topic as per the college protests are completely lacking that element. If anyone does have reporting that ticks that box I’d be very much obliged.

Having attended pro-Palestine events over here, yeah I’ve seen stuff I’d consider anti-Semitic. A few people out of hundreds but it was there, and I feel it was a collective failure of the attendees, myself included not to challenge that.


What BJ is trying to do is justify maga rallies by exploiting peoples good faith again. It's the shit trump did when he went "both sides have good people" ignoring that one side was chanting "Jews will not replace us".

Yes being a part of a protest doesn't make you a supporter of everything everyone on that side is supporting but bjs "the real bad people are the important people that say anything about the bad actors" is just more bad faith bullshit from him. Dude doesn't even respect you enough to agnowedge the possibility of bigots existing, just like Trump's "I assume some of them might be good people".

You're allowed to call out the bad actors in a group without people expecting that you're generalizing the whole group like that. I'm sure people on January 6th did legitimately want to go to the rally and then didn't go into the Capitol because they realized that's a bad thing. That doesn't excuse the people who did "accidentally into a coup" in some bizarre reverse bad apple argument. You can condem the anti semetic protests while not commenting on the anti Zionist ones. I'm sure there are protestors that don't want Jews to all die, but they need to understand and appreciate that there are some who do and are making their fellow Jewish students a bit uncomfortable.
A wise man will say that he knows nothing. We're gona party like its 2752 Hail Dark Brandon
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
April 24 2024 15:24 GMT
#83850
--- Nuked ---
BlackJack
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States10574 Posts
April 24 2024 18:38 GMT
#83851
On April 24 2024 23:40 Sermokala wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2024 17:34 WombaT wrote:
On April 24 2024 15:18 Sermokala wrote:
Yeah the bigotry isn't the issue it's people pointing out the bigotry that's the issue. You can safely ignore people without power because we don't respect them or what they say but the people we do think have value should know better than call out bad actors.

It fully depends on what bigotry is being pointed out to begin with to be fair.

Over in the UK there were pro-Palestine protests absolutely chock full of anti-Semitism (and plenty without), but the reporting surrounding them that I read/watched was full of absolutely blatant examples of it.

Perhaps I suck at Googling but articles I’ve been looking up about this topic as per the college protests are completely lacking that element. If anyone does have reporting that ticks that box I’d be very much obliged.

Having attended pro-Palestine events over here, yeah I’ve seen stuff I’d consider anti-Semitic. A few people out of hundreds but it was there, and I feel it was a collective failure of the attendees, myself included not to challenge that.


What BJ is trying to do is justify maga rallies by exploiting peoples good faith again. It's the shit trump did when he went "both sides have good people" ignoring that one side was chanting "Jews will not replace us".

Yes being a part of a protest doesn't make you a supporter of everything everyone on that side is supporting but bjs "the real bad people are the important people that say anything about the bad actors" is just more bad faith bullshit from him. Dude doesn't even respect you enough to agnowedge the possibility of bigots existing, just like Trump's "I assume some of them might be good people".

You're allowed to call out the bad actors in a group without people expecting that you're generalizing the whole group like that. I'm sure people on January 6th did legitimately want to go to the rally and then didn't go into the Capitol because they realized that's a bad thing. That doesn't excuse the people who did "accidentally into a coup" in some bizarre reverse bad apple argument. You can condem the anti semetic protests while not commenting on the anti Zionist ones. I'm sure there are protestors that don't want Jews to all die, but they need to understand and appreciate that there are some who do and are making their fellow Jewish students a bit uncomfortable.


False. Nowhere did I refuse to acknowledge that bigots exist. What I said was that normal people being convinced to dismiss reasonable protests as groups of bigots is more concerning.

Take the Ottawa trucker protest, for example. You were convinced that they were a group of terrorists/racists/misogynists for no other reason than Prime Minister Trudeau told you so. TL User Falling succinctly refuted your false belief by showing that there was basically 1 person in the group that showed up with a confederate flag on the 1st day of the protest before being chased off.

What's worse is that the post he was responding to is where you essentially called this youtuber a Nazi sympathizer by somehow carefully "hiding" all the non-existent swastikas at the protest while he filmed. That guy is just a random Canadian that has been filming events in his cities for many years and had nothing to do with the protestors.

So yeah, I'm more concerned that you, a presumably normal person, will readily label a random innocent youtuber as a nazi sympathizer without any evidence. Simply because you were gullible enough to believe the lies sold to you by a powerful person. It's despicable.
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-04-24 18:45:31
April 24 2024 18:44 GMT
#83852
--- Nuked ---
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27459 Posts
April 24 2024 19:36 GMT
#83853
On April 25 2024 00:24 JimmiC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2024 23:15 Jockmcplop wrote:
On April 24 2024 21:55 JimmiC wrote:
On April 24 2024 21:26 Jockmcplop wrote:
On April 24 2024 21:14 Dan HH wrote:
On April 24 2024 12:48 WombaT wrote:
Bit busy with work, did a cursory Google earlier and it was articles featuring quotes of public figures condemning anti-Semitic sentiment with these campus protests, but I’ve yet to see examples of it. I think the one article that may have actually delved into that was unfortunately paywalled. As such, outside of the obvious anti-Semitism isn’t cool stance I cannae have any real informed opinion on this.

I imagine this is one of those occasions where not being in self-exile from Twitter would probably help as it’s definitely good for on-site citizen journalism or self-documentation

Same, usually the videos show up before the condemnations. It raised some red flags for me to see so many condemnations without any displays of said anti-semitism showing up in my feeds.

With hundreds of political figures talking about horrific anti-semitic rhetoric and threats of violence against Jewish students at these protests, it's honestly impressive how little actual anti-semitic material the protesters gave them to work with. I went on a deeper dive and worst I could find was a couple of questionable signs and some dude yelling "go back to Poland" to a counter-protester. You can probably hear worse than that at a pub on a Tuesday evening.



After seeing how willing people were to repeat over and over again Israel's UNRWA lie, I'm now not believing any accusations of antisemitism that don't come with evidence.

I have a feeling that once people start holding these accusations to those standards, the number of antisemitism accusations that are seen as credible will be reduced 100 fold.

That guardian article left out much of the story. First there was all the initial photographs of the staff that was fired doing things like carrying body’s and transporting hostages. Then there is all the very interestingly worded lack of “neutrality” in the education and so on, which basically means they were teaching hate. Well it is true that they didn’t provide additional information to the group that they claim is antisemitic it does not mean they didn’t provide additional information to the countries that pulled out.

As for the type of hate that is spewing out here is an example, and this does not mean everyone there feels this way or even most. But no one is stopping it and lots are cheering and agreeing.


https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2024/4/22/biden-condemns-blatant-anti-semitism-at-columbia-pro-palestine-protests

Videos of the below quote circulating are what changed Justin from talking about how pro Palestine rallies were not antisemitism but condemning anti semitism

What drew considerable attention were the many demonstrators cheering on as a man chanted, “Long live Oct. 7.” But this, too, is nothing new. “There is only one solution, intefadeh, revolution.” “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free.” All of these slogans — and other chants — are constantly repeated and have been for more than six months.


https://nationalpost.com/opinion/trudeaus-response-to-ottawa-hate-rally-too-little-too-late

There has also been firebombing, vandalism, bomb threats and so on.


I'd like to see some of the videos that are being referred to. I'll have a look for them later when I'm not at work.
However, it does sound like these protests have got people going way over the line of what's acceptable.

I'm not sure what's enough to characterize the entire protest as antisemitic, but that's one of those things where people will never agree. Like what % of the protest has to be out of order for the whole thing to be bad?

Again, I have a problem with there only being testimony. That's because of number of lies going around. Take a video. If its signs that are antisemitic people only need to take a photo. Easy.


When it comes to the UNRWA stuff, the photos you are referring to could basically be of anyone. Have you even seen them? Its also not UNRWA, but an independent inquiry that Israel has had 3 months to provide evidence to and has failed to do so.
I have a feeling it was their much lauded AI program that designated these individuals as terrorists. The same system that has led to 200 aid workers being killed.

They were published when the people were fired, I don’t believe any of this is in dispute. What also is not in dispute is that they were teaching hate and a bunch of other non “neutral” actions. They have promised to be neutral in the future and some countries are restarting the aid.

The disputed part is that they were rotten to the core and had thousands of Hamas members, to which no evidence has been provided.


I have no idea what the tipping point is to name an entire protest racist. I do think it is extremely disappointing that I have yet to see anyone stand up the obvious racists but have seen lots cheering them on. For people who supported them as peaceful it is big time egg on the face and now as politics goes you are going to see the pendulum swing too far the other way.


People everywhere, and here love every time antisemitism gets brought up to point out the truth that not ALL criticism of Israel is antisemitic. They however seem to think that this means none is which is absolutely not true. 100% of antisemitic people criticize Israel and hide behind the first sentence. The myth that there is no antisemitic people on the left needs to die and people need to stand up to those both publicly and privately.


In wider society sure, who holds any of these positions that’s a regular in this thread?

I did read the links you put up the other day on the topic, the New Yorker piece (I think it was there) with your bloke from the ADL was a good read, so cheers for those.

Felt he was very good on anti-Semitism, universal principles and stratagems for countering bigotry and prejudice. But almost incoherent at times when it came to the intersection of Jewishness/Zionism/Israel and what strayed into anti-Semitism.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
April 24 2024 20:11 GMT
#83854
--- Nuked ---
BlackJack
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States10574 Posts
April 24 2024 20:57 GMT
#83855
On April 25 2024 00:24 JimmiC wrote:
People everywhere, and here love every time antisemitism gets brought up to point out the truth that not ALL criticism of Israel is antisemitic. They however seem to think that this means none is which is absolutely not true. 100% of antisemitic people criticize Israel and hide behind the first sentence. The myth that there is no antisemitic people on the left needs to die and people need to stand up to those both publicly and privately.



Who here "seems to think" that antisemitism doesn't exist or that there are "no anti-Semitic people on the left."
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46484 Posts
April 24 2024 23:58 GMT
#83856
On April 24 2024 11:04 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2024 07:28 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Framing pro-Palestinian protests as anti-Semitic is a bad take for Biden, and I disagree with his interpretation of those protests. I'm with you on that part. I'm still struggling to see how this lays the foundation for fascism though.

Republicans/Fascists also frame pro-Palestinian protests as antisemitic and will find the fact that Biden already laid the foundation for that framing in Democrat's minds and provided a program to help fascists crack down on such protests quite useful.

Then fascists can point to it being a critique and product/policy that came from Democrats, that "the libs" accepted it when Biden/Democrats did it, and any opposition now is just them being bitter partisans. If Democrats push it, they'll be labeled as sympathizers or terrorists themselves, so they won't, and will call that "pragmatism".

Same for the Cop City in ATL, domestic spying, the (still in use) 2001 AUMF, policing the public in NYC using the military, cracking down on "illegals", and the list goes on and on.

After Democrats lay down all these foundations for fascism and eventually lose control of them (since they won't win every election in perpetuity) they'll pick up their batons in a vain attempt to avoid being the targets of those policies, institutions, etc. by finding "bipartisan compromises" on where to direct that fascism among the US public and oppressed people around the globe. Which is uncomfortably acceptable to relatively affluent cishet white men. Because to be clear, Democrats have been making these kinds of "compromises" with less overtly fascist Republicans for decades (like consistently increasing police budgets, DOMA, and so on).

Which brings us back to the bipartisan framing of pro-Palestinian actions as "antisemitic protests" that is already aligning Democrats and Republicans around cracking down on these purportedly "antisemitic protests" in a tiny, comparably placid, preview of what is to come if they aren't stopped (organized civil disobedience, like Biden is joining Republicans to crack down on, will be required) before then.

Hopefully that helps you understand my point?


I think so; thank you for the elaboration!

I think different people might disagree on whether or not Biden supporters truly "accepted" the framing of pro-Palestine as anti-Semitic, but I believe I see your point.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
April 25 2024 04:24 GMT
#83857
On April 25 2024 08:58 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2024 11:04 GreenHorizons wrote:
On April 24 2024 07:28 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Framing pro-Palestinian protests as anti-Semitic is a bad take for Biden, and I disagree with his interpretation of those protests. I'm with you on that part. I'm still struggling to see how this lays the foundation for fascism though.

Republicans/Fascists also frame pro-Palestinian protests as antisemitic and will find the fact that Biden already laid the foundation for that framing in Democrat's minds and provided a program to help fascists crack down on such protests quite useful.

Then fascists can point to it being a critique and product/policy that came from Democrats, that "the libs" accepted it when Biden/Democrats did it, and any opposition now is just them being bitter partisans. If Democrats push it, they'll be labeled as sympathizers or terrorists themselves, so they won't, and will call that "pragmatism".

Same for the Cop City in ATL, domestic spying, the (still in use) 2001 AUMF, policing the public in NYC using the military, cracking down on "illegals", and the list goes on and on.

After Democrats lay down all these foundations for fascism and eventually lose control of them (since they won't win every election in perpetuity) they'll pick up their batons in a vain attempt to avoid being the targets of those policies, institutions, etc. by finding "bipartisan compromises" on where to direct that fascism among the US public and oppressed people around the globe. Which is uncomfortably acceptable to relatively affluent cishet white men. Because to be clear, Democrats have been making these kinds of "compromises" with less overtly fascist Republicans for decades (like consistently increasing police budgets, DOMA, and so on).

Which brings us back to the bipartisan framing of pro-Palestinian actions as "antisemitic protests" that is already aligning Democrats and Republicans around cracking down on these purportedly "antisemitic protests" in a tiny, comparably placid, preview of what is to come if they aren't stopped (organized civil disobedience, like Biden is joining Republicans to crack down on, will be required) before then.

Hopefully that helps you understand my point?


I think so; thank you for the elaboration!

I think different people might disagree on whether or not Biden supporters truly "accepted" the framing of pro-Palestine as anti-Semitic, but I believe I see your point.

My pleasure. I'm sure they would. There are clearly a lot of Democrats/Biden supporters that have though.

Fetterman (who was supposed to be an ostensible progressive champion saving the senate for Democrats in 2022) is probably a good example of the impracticality of the sort of nuance you're attempting to carve out for an unknown reason.

“I fully agree with the White House — these ‘protests’ are antisemitic, unconscionable, and dangerous. Add some tiki torches and it’s Charlottesville for these Jewish students,” Fetterman wrote in a statement Sunday night.

thehill.com

People could probably use a refresher of what "Charlottesville" means in this context:

The Unite the Right rally was a white supremacist[4][5][6][7] rally that took place in Charlottesville, Virginia, from August 11 to 12, 2017.[8][9][10] Marchers included members of the alt-right,[11] neo-Confederates,[12] neo-fascists,[13] white nationalists,[14] neo-Nazis,[15] Klansmen,[16] and far-right militias.[17] Some groups chanted racist and antisemitic slogans and carried weapons, Nazi and neo-Nazi symbols, the Valknut, Confederate battle flags, Deus vult crosses, flags, and other symbols of various past and present antisemitic and anti-Islamic groups.[23] The organizers' stated goals included the unification of the American white nationalist movement[11] and opposing the proposed removal of the statue of General Robert E. Lee from Charlottesville's former Lee Park.[21][24]

The rally occurred amid the controversy which was generated by the removal of Confederate monuments by local governments following the Charleston church shooting in 2015, in which Dylann Roof, a white supremacist, shot and killed nine members of a black church, including the minister (a state senator), and wounded another member of the church.

At around 1:45 p.m., self-identified white supremacist James Alex Fields Jr. deliberately rammed his car into a crowd of counter-protesters about 1⁄2 mile (800 m) away from the rally site, killing Heather Heyer and injuring 35 people.
en.wikipedia.org

So yeah, just need some tiki torches and they're the same thing because horseshoes or something. /s


Then you have the fascists push it a little further:
Mr. Trump said: “Joe Biden would say, constantly, that he ran because of Charlottesville,” he wrote of the 2020 election. “Well, if that’s the case, he’s done a really terrible job because Charlottesville is like a ‘peanut’ compared to the riots and anti-Israel protests that are happening all over our Country, RIGHT NOW.”
www.nytimes.com

Do you recognize how this is one of many ways Democrats are laying the foundations for fascism regardless of how 2024 turns out now?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Velr
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Switzerland10960 Posts
April 25 2024 06:09 GMT
#83858
Trump saying something is now somehow making the Democrats go facist?


Do you even read what kind of bs you write?
Salazarz
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Korea (South)2591 Posts
April 25 2024 06:57 GMT
#83859
On April 25 2024 15:09 Velr wrote:
Trump saying something is now somehow making the Democrats go facist?


Do you even read what kind of bs you write?


The problem isn't Trump saying something, it's a democrat senator comparing these protests to Charlottesville (which is pretty fucking bad in itself), and in doing so, empowering Trump's bullshit.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27459 Posts
April 25 2024 06:59 GMT
#83860
On April 25 2024 05:57 BlackJack wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 25 2024 00:24 JimmiC wrote:
People everywhere, and here love every time antisemitism gets brought up to point out the truth that not ALL criticism of Israel is antisemitic. They however seem to think that this means none is which is absolutely not true. 100% of antisemitic people criticize Israel and hide behind the first sentence. The myth that there is no antisemitic people on the left needs to die and people need to stand up to those both publicly and privately.



Who here "seems to think" that antisemitism doesn't exist or that there are "no anti-Semitic people on the left."

Answers on a postcard I guess.

I’d estimate it’s been maybe 15+ years since I had a pretty keen interest in current affairs and a vaguely developed brain, and this conflation has always been a stick to beat (mostly) left-wing opposition to Israeli policy with.

I can’t think of a single other foreign policy/humanitarian issue where this is so often the case.

Bit of a personal bugbear of mine, I’m not a massive fan of discussions where one has to add caveats every second sentence, so that’s not ideal. Secondly it deflects from the topic, and thirdly and also rather importantly - I don’t think it alleviates anti-Semitism at all, if anything it actually makes the problem worse.

I’m not gonna beat around the bush, I’ll still consider a damn sizeable chunk of right wing folks as bigots, because they demonstrate it so often. But for those who genuinely aren’t but get beaten with that stick, I imagine it’s a similar feeling.

As I have said on many an occasion here, at least based on my corner of existence, it is definitely getting worse, that is a worrying development and one we need to collectively do better on. And it’s not solely the preserve of Hitler adjacent folk either.

I’ll do my best to call it out when I see it, or alternatively just fuck off from a community if it, and other forms of bigotry are too prevalent to rail against. On the flip side I’m quite proud to be part of a community over here where it’s really not a thing, surely that’s summat to celebrate no?

I think we also have a pretty fundamental problem with looking at the topic because to do so requires certain uncomfortable conversations that frankly I don’t think liberals want to get into. We saw some pretty heinous outright celebratory shit around 7/7 in my country, and elsewhere and it wasn’t from left wing demonstrators let’s put it that way.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Prev 1 4191 4192 4193 4194 4195 5994 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
00:00
#14
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
Harstem421
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Harstem 421
IndyStarCraft 180
Railgan 70
BRAT_OK 36
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 31351
Shuttle 2502
BeSt 489
Larva 362
ggaemo 203
Soma 187
Mind 162
Dewaltoss 117
Last 85
Sexy 78
[ Show more ]
hero 71
Zeus 50
Hyun 41
Killer 40
Bale 25
ToSsGirL 24
NaDa 23
Rock 18
PianO 17
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5477
qojqva2821
Dendi1303
420jenkins443
Counter-Strike
fl0m4691
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3283
Khaldor1291
Liquid`Hasu1047
MindelVK12
Other Games
FrodaN1882
singsing1738
byalli958
B2W.Neo932
Beastyqt797
ArmadaUGS193
Hui .166
KnowMe134
QueenE91
Mew2King52
CosmosSc2 29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1005
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream46
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 22
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 50
• FirePhoenix2
• niya90s1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 4027
League of Legends
• Nemesis2881
Other Games
• Shiphtur277
• WagamamaTV236
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 4m
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 4m
Replay Cast
6h 4m
Afreeca Starleague
17h 4m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
18h 4m
Monday Night Weeklies
23h 4m
Replay Cast
1d 6h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 17h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 18h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.