• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:51
CEST 16:51
KST 23:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6731 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 2213

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2211 2212 2213 2214 2215 6009 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12570 Posts
March 26 2020 19:30 GMT
#44241
I think opposition to populism as a leftist is ideologically conflicting, and that opposition being perceived as somewhat standard and not something that needs to be explained is definitely something that we have neoliberalism to thank for.
No will to live, no wish to die
mierin
Profile Joined August 2010
United States4943 Posts
March 26 2020 20:29 GMT
#44242
On March 27 2020 03:42 Elroi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2020 00:17 JimmiC wrote:
I was able to find it on another "news" source. The other factual articles have titles such as "US the most prepared nation in the world to face corona virus", "LA's despotic Democrat mayor threatens to turn off power and water to quarantine scoffers" and "Virginia Gov Ralph KKK Northam Makes Attending Church Service a Crime".

https://thewashingtonsentinel.com/joe-biden-accused-of-sexual-assault-accuser-breaks-silence/

Perhaps Biff is being wise when he does not believe anything simply because it is against someone you don't like. It is completely reasonable, and prudent, to wait to see if it gets picked up by legitimate or even semi legitimate news sources before you tar and feather a guy. I'm pretty sure I can find some pretty salacious stuff on the internet about Bernie too.

I mean I didn't see you toss Bernie aside when Warren's team made the claim of sexism against Bernie. Waiting to see how credible things are before you believe everything on the internet is a good rule to follow. Your, if it is against someone I like it's false and if it is against someone I dislike it is true can create a warped version of reality. By using different, more reasonable metrics you may think differently of the various dictatorships you support.

You don't need to go all the way to Bernie, though, I don't think GH would have believed those allegations if they were against Fidel Castro.


It's not being a Bernie Bro, it's the fact that I'm almost sure the VAST majority of current Biden supporters believed the allegations against Kavanaugh with a similar level of evidence as well. Personally even though I'm far to the left of most of them I never got on board the crucify Kavanaugh train over them.
JD, Stork, Calm, Hyuk Fighting!
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-03-26 20:49:37
March 26 2020 20:47 GMT
#44243
--- Nuked ---
JohnDelaney
Profile Joined November 2019
Ireland73 Posts
March 26 2020 21:42 GMT
#44244
The US has now solidified its lead in becoming world #1 in total confirmed COVID-19 cases. These developments call into question the US president's promise of reopening non-essential businesses by 12 April with "packed churches all over [the] country."
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24385 Posts
March 26 2020 22:36 GMT
#44245
Biden's alleged victim was interviewed on The Hill's show Rising where she gives her account of what Biden did to her and how the Time's up organization has said they couldn't provide resources to assist her because her attacker was a federal candidate and investigating him would jeopardize their tax status.



The Intercept had a piece about it a couple days ago for people that prefer text

TIME’S UP SAID IT COULD NOT FUND A #METOO ALLEGATION AGAINST JOE BIDEN, CITING ITS NONPROFIT STATUS AND HIS PRESIDENTIAL RUN
(that's the headline).

I don't know how many people that are expressing skepticism at the validity of her recounting have heard/seen her tell it but I recommend they do.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27464 Posts
March 26 2020 23:32 GMT
#44246
On March 27 2020 05:47 JimmiC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2020 05:29 mierin wrote:
On March 27 2020 03:42 Elroi wrote:
On March 27 2020 00:17 JimmiC wrote:
I was able to find it on another "news" source. The other factual articles have titles such as "US the most prepared nation in the world to face corona virus", "LA's despotic Democrat mayor threatens to turn off power and water to quarantine scoffers" and "Virginia Gov Ralph KKK Northam Makes Attending Church Service a Crime".

https://thewashingtonsentinel.com/joe-biden-accused-of-sexual-assault-accuser-breaks-silence/

Perhaps Biff is being wise when he does not believe anything simply because it is against someone you don't like. It is completely reasonable, and prudent, to wait to see if it gets picked up by legitimate or even semi legitimate news sources before you tar and feather a guy. I'm pretty sure I can find some pretty salacious stuff on the internet about Bernie too.

I mean I didn't see you toss Bernie aside when Warren's team made the claim of sexism against Bernie. Waiting to see how credible things are before you believe everything on the internet is a good rule to follow. Your, if it is against someone I like it's false and if it is against someone I dislike it is true can create a warped version of reality. By using different, more reasonable metrics you may think differently of the various dictatorships you support.

You don't need to go all the way to Bernie, though, I don't think GH would have believed those allegations if they were against Fidel Castro.


It's not being a Bernie Bro, it's the fact that I'm almost sure the VAST majority of current Biden supporters believed the allegations against Kavanaugh with a similar level of evidence as well. Personally even though I'm far to the left of most of them I never got on board the crucify Kavanaugh train over them.

There was actually a lot more evidence, these are not comparable. However if she wants to come in front of the senate and have everyone dig into the story and then Biden lies repeatedly about things, it would be similar and I think it would be a similar reaction by Dems. Right now it is a story that is so unchecked it is not good info for fox news, or even info wars. breibart.

If it picks up steam and becomes an actual legitimate story, and I'm sure there is enough money, time and so on willing to be invested to take down Biden, if there is anything it will likely come out. But it would have likely come out when he was VP as well.


You will also remember that when the Bernie is a sexist thing came out, the reaction was the same by almost everyone on that regularly posts on the thread. Well everyone but GH, who wholeheartedly instantly believes this one and insults others for not, and completed discounted the other story.

Outside of serial offenders where a series of independent accusers have similar stories, or where some documentary evidence is present these accusations are by their nature extremely difficult to prove and people’s biases come in.

In this respect weirdly touching people’s faces really doesn’t help old Joe
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Bagration
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States18282 Posts
March 26 2020 23:51 GMT
#44247
I noticed something mildly interesting the other day. Several years back, when the Black Lives Matter movement was in the headlines, some Republican commentators would reply "All lives matter" to downplay the issue.

Now in 2020, I've seen some of the same Republican talking heads mention how "this is the Chinese government's fault", only to have others say "a lot of governments messed this up" as a rebuttal.

Just a funny little thing I've noticed, and an interesting turn of events. Politics is like an ever-evolving theater sometimes
Team Slayers, Axiom-Acer and Vile forever
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
March 26 2020 23:53 GMT
#44248
--- Nuked ---
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24385 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-03-27 00:04:01
March 26 2020 23:59 GMT
#44249
On March 27 2020 08:32 Wombat_NI wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2020 05:47 JimmiC wrote:
On March 27 2020 05:29 mierin wrote:
On March 27 2020 03:42 Elroi wrote:
On March 27 2020 00:17 JimmiC wrote:
I was able to find it on another "news" source. The other factual articles have titles such as "US the most prepared nation in the world to face corona virus", "LA's despotic Democrat mayor threatens to turn off power and water to quarantine scoffers" and "Virginia Gov Ralph KKK Northam Makes Attending Church Service a Crime".

https://thewashingtonsentinel.com/joe-biden-accused-of-sexual-assault-accuser-breaks-silence/

Perhaps Biff is being wise when he does not believe anything simply because it is against someone you don't like. It is completely reasonable, and prudent, to wait to see if it gets picked up by legitimate or even semi legitimate news sources before you tar and feather a guy. I'm pretty sure I can find some pretty salacious stuff on the internet about Bernie too.

I mean I didn't see you toss Bernie aside when Warren's team made the claim of sexism against Bernie. Waiting to see how credible things are before you believe everything on the internet is a good rule to follow. Your, if it is against someone I like it's false and if it is against someone I dislike it is true can create a warped version of reality. By using different, more reasonable metrics you may think differently of the various dictatorships you support.

You don't need to go all the way to Bernie, though, I don't think GH would have believed those allegations if they were against Fidel Castro.


It's not being a Bernie Bro, it's the fact that I'm almost sure the VAST majority of current Biden supporters believed the allegations against Kavanaugh with a similar level of evidence as well. Personally even though I'm far to the left of most of them I never got on board the crucify Kavanaugh train over them.

There was actually a lot more evidence, these are not comparable. However if she wants to come in front of the senate and have everyone dig into the story and then Biden lies repeatedly about things, it would be similar and I think it would be a similar reaction by Dems. Right now it is a story that is so unchecked it is not good info for fox news, or even info wars. breibart.

If it picks up steam and becomes an actual legitimate story, and I'm sure there is enough money, time and so on willing to be invested to take down Biden, if there is anything it will likely come out. But it would have likely come out when he was VP as well.


You will also remember that when the Bernie is a sexist thing came out, the reaction was the same by almost everyone on that regularly posts on the thread. Well everyone but GH, who wholeheartedly instantly believes this one and insults others for not, and completed discounted the other story.

Outside of serial offenders where a series of independent accusers have similar stories, or where some documentary evidence is present these accusations are by their nature extremely difficult to prove and people’s biases come in.

In this respect weirdly touching people’s faces really doesn’t help old Joe


Lots of accounts/video/photo's of him touching more than faces inappropriately. NBC put together a short compilation back in April from his mock swear-ins where he knows there's mics, and cameras.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Gahlo
Profile Joined February 2010
United States35174 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-03-27 00:07:30
March 27 2020 00:06 GMT
#44250
On March 27 2020 05:47 JimmiC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2020 05:29 mierin wrote:
On March 27 2020 03:42 Elroi wrote:
On March 27 2020 00:17 JimmiC wrote:
I was able to find it on another "news" source. The other factual articles have titles such as "US the most prepared nation in the world to face corona virus", "LA's despotic Democrat mayor threatens to turn off power and water to quarantine scoffers" and "Virginia Gov Ralph KKK Northam Makes Attending Church Service a Crime".

https://thewashingtonsentinel.com/joe-biden-accused-of-sexual-assault-accuser-breaks-silence/

Perhaps Biff is being wise when he does not believe anything simply because it is against someone you don't like. It is completely reasonable, and prudent, to wait to see if it gets picked up by legitimate or even semi legitimate news sources before you tar and feather a guy. I'm pretty sure I can find some pretty salacious stuff on the internet about Bernie too.

I mean I didn't see you toss Bernie aside when Warren's team made the claim of sexism against Bernie. Waiting to see how credible things are before you believe everything on the internet is a good rule to follow. Your, if it is against someone I like it's false and if it is against someone I dislike it is true can create a warped version of reality. By using different, more reasonable metrics you may think differently of the various dictatorships you support.

You don't need to go all the way to Bernie, though, I don't think GH would have believed those allegations if they were against Fidel Castro.


It's not being a Bernie Bro, it's the fact that I'm almost sure the VAST majority of current Biden supporters believed the allegations against Kavanaugh with a similar level of evidence as well. Personally even though I'm far to the left of most of them I never got on board the crucify Kavanaugh train over them.

There was actually a lot more evidence, these are not comparable. However if she wants to come in front of the senate and have everyone dig into the story and then Biden lies repeatedly about things, it would be similar and I think it would be a similar reaction by Dems. Right now it is a story that is so unchecked it is not good info for fox news, or even info wars. breibart.

If it picks up steam and becomes an actual legitimate story, and I'm sure there is enough money, time and so on willing to be invested to take down Biden, if there is anything it will likely come out. But it would have likely come out when he was VP as well.


You will also remember that when the Bernie is a sexist thing came out, the reaction was the same by almost everyone on that regularly posts on the thread. Well everyone but GH, who wholeheartedly instantly believes this one and insults others for not, and completed discounted the other story.

A rape accusation and a "he might have said a mean thing" are very different.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-03-27 00:08:11
March 27 2020 00:07 GMT
#44251
On March 27 2020 08:51 Bagration wrote:
I noticed something mildly interesting the other day. Several years back, when the Black Lives Matter movement was in the headlines, some Republican commentators would reply "All lives matter" to downplay the issue.

Now in 2020, I've seen some of the same Republican talking heads mention how "this is the Chinese government's fault", only to have others say "a lot of governments messed this up" as a rebuttal.

Just a funny little thing I've noticed, and an interesting turn of events. Politics is like an ever-evolving theater sometimes

Seems to me that the differences between being black in America and being the Chinese government are sufficiently different from another to render that comparison odd.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-03-27 00:43:07
March 27 2020 00:42 GMT
#44252
--- Nuked ---
Bagration
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States18282 Posts
March 27 2020 02:41 GMT
#44253
On March 27 2020 09:07 farvacola wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2020 08:51 Bagration wrote:
I noticed something mildly interesting the other day. Several years back, when the Black Lives Matter movement was in the headlines, some Republican commentators would reply "All lives matter" to downplay the issue.

Now in 2020, I've seen some of the same Republican talking heads mention how "this is the Chinese government's fault", only to have others say "a lot of governments messed this up" as a rebuttal.

Just a funny little thing I've noticed, and an interesting turn of events. Politics is like an ever-evolving theater sometimes

Seems to me that the differences between being black in America and being the Chinese government are sufficiently different from another to render that comparison odd.


Don’t get me wrong, I’m not making any statements on the positions themselves, just found the similar rhetorical logic interesting.
Team Slayers, Axiom-Acer and Vile forever
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8201 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-03-27 08:34:10
March 27 2020 07:55 GMT
#44254
On March 27 2020 04:30 Nebuchad wrote:
I think opposition to populism as a leftist is ideologically conflicting, and that opposition being perceived as somewhat standard and not something that needs to be explained is definitely something that we have neoliberalism to thank for.

Populism simply means that one pretends to be, or to exclusively represent the "real" people (against the cosmopolitan jews, the kulaks, the out of touch elites, the foreigners, the oligarchy, the establishment and so on). You can find it right, left and centre.

My biggest problem with Bernie was actually the populist undertone of some of his campaign. I had a discussion recently with a friend who voted for him she argued that the people supported him. When I mentioned that actually, the numbers suggested that the people seemed to rather support Biden, her answer was to quote the Manufacture of Consent by Noam Chomsky. As if you could only support this establishment candidate if you were manipulated by this establishment media, and that people supporting Biden were either not "real" people or didn't have a "real" opinion.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
TomatoBisque
Profile Joined March 2013
United States6290 Posts
March 27 2020 09:03 GMT
#44255
Is Bernie inherently dishonest when he says "billionaires are taking advantage of their workers and use their wealth to accrue more wealth and power," even though there is plenty of evidence that supports him? Maybe I misunderstand, but your definition of populism seems to preclude the idea that someone could genuinely believe that and run for political office.

I don't agree that everyone who is against Bernie has been brainwashed, but I think it's impossible to deny that many voters are less informed than they could be and vote for irrational reasons (because the brain is inherently emotional while simultaneously very good at rationalizing its emotions). And that people take advantage of that--marketing exists and is effective for a reason, there's no reason why political elections would be somehow immune.

The stunt at the last debate where Biden declared he would have a female VP and the MSM running with that as the headline is a good example of this. What does the gender of Biden's VP have to do with how effective a president he'll be? Next to nothing, but there are a lot of people out there where that's their #1 priority and are now going to support Biden for it. Heck, you can see it even worked on the people on this forum since the 2020 Democratic Nominee thread got sucked into an argument over it because the right wing people here fall for the same crap. That sort of tactic obfuscates anything of substance that went on in that debate.
rip
Uldridge
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belgium5232 Posts
March 27 2020 09:18 GMT
#44256
On March 27 2020 11:41 Bagration wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On March 27 2020 09:07 farvacola wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2020 08:51 Bagration wrote:
I noticed something mildly interesting the other day. Several years back, when the Black Lives Matter movement was in the headlines, some Republican commentators would reply "All lives matter" to downplay the issue.

Now in 2020, I've seen some of the same Republican talking heads mention how "this is the Chinese government's fault", only to have others say "a lot of governments messed this up" as a rebuttal.

Just a funny little thing I've noticed, and an interesting turn of events. Politics is like an ever-evolving theater sometimes

Seems to me that the differences between being black in America and being the Chinese government are sufficiently different from another to render that comparison odd.


Don’t get me wrong, I’m not making any statements on the positions themselves, just found the similar rhetorical logic interesting.

It's not because they are superficially comparable that they are comparable. Just because an apple could kind of look like an orange from the right angle in specific lighting doesn't mean you can note any comparison. The rhetoric stems from totally different fundamental belief systems.
In the one case there's a political body downplaying human rights by diverting the pointed fingers (PoE to themselves).
In the other case there's a political body downplaying human rights by pointing fingers (the big Chinese threat).
Huh.. seems like they've got more in common than initially thought. They're racist in both cases.

But on a more serious note, putting the blame on a country for originating the virus is just childish and unproductive. If anything this is an incentive for globalized teamwork and showing we can actually work together really really well if we want/need to.
Taxes are for Terrans
Sr18
Profile Joined April 2006
Netherlands1141 Posts
March 27 2020 11:50 GMT
#44257
On March 27 2020 18:03 TomatoBisque wrote:
I don't agree that everyone who is against Bernie has been brainwashed, but I think it's impossible to deny that many voters are less informed than they could be and vote for irrational reasons (because the brain is inherently emotional while simultaneously very good at rationalizing its emotions).


I think you'll find uninformed voters within all voter groups. Serious question: is there evidence that one side in the US has on average more informed voters?
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't Park Yeong Min - CJ fighting!
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46512 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-03-27 12:30:22
March 27 2020 12:04 GMT
#44258
On March 27 2020 20:50 Sr18 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2020 18:03 TomatoBisque wrote:
I don't agree that everyone who is against Bernie has been brainwashed, but I think it's impossible to deny that many voters are less informed than they could be and vote for irrational reasons (because the brain is inherently emotional while simultaneously very good at rationalizing its emotions).


I think you'll find uninformed voters within all voter groups. Serious question: is there evidence that one side in the US has on average more informed voters?


Yep; there is a decent correlation (not causation) between where you get your news and how informed you are. On average, Fox News viewers are less informed than people who don't watch any news at all, who are in turn less informed than mainstream moderate/ liberal media news sources. There have been several studies on this. Here's one: https://www.poynter.org/reporting-editing/2012/survey-nprs-listeners-best-informed-fox-news-viewers-worst-informed/
Here's another one: http://publicmind.fdu.edu/2011/knowless/
More information: https://www.businessinsider.com/study-watching-fox-news-makes-you-less-informed-than-watching-no-news-at-all-2012-5

This shouldn't be particularly surprising, considering that Republicans, pound-for-pound, assert more misinformation, lies, anti-education, and anti-science than Democrats do. That's not to say that all Republicans do this on purpose, or that all Democrats are better informed than all Republicans, or that Democrats don't lie or engage in conspiracy theories or are wrong on many, many occasions, but if we're talking about "on average", as you indicated, there is indeed a distinction.
This predates Donald Trump as well, although obviously he's the quintessential example of this.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8201 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-03-27 12:58:00
March 27 2020 12:55 GMT
#44259
That's not really my point though. People vote for all kind of reasons, rational and irrational, well or ill-informed. They are lied to, or told the truth on various degree. That has little to do with populism.

Populism is when Maduro paints his opponents as enemy of the people guided by foreign powers. Or when Trump supporters oppose the real Americans, white, working class midwest folks against the "globalists", costal "elites" and minorities, all not-so-real people.

And populism is, sorry, when your candidate represents the american people, but your opponents represent "the establishment". And when the numbers are not in your favour, you call the game rigged and you declare the other side illegitimate.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24385 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-03-27 13:02:49
March 27 2020 12:59 GMT
#44260
On March 27 2020 21:55 Biff The Understudy wrote:
That's not really my point though. People vote for all kind of reasons, rational and irrational, well or ill-informed. They are lied to, or told the truth on various degree. That has little to do with populism.

Populism is when Maduro paints his opponents as enemy of the people guided by foreign powers. Or when Trump supporters oppose the real american, white, working class midwest folks against the "globalists", costal "elites" and minorities, all not-so-real people.

And populism is, sorry, when your candidate represents the american people, but your opponents represent "the establishment". And when the numbers are not in your favour, you call the game rigged and you declare the other side illegitimate.


The description you give of populism can just as easily be applied to the Russia bot/interference/Berniebro narratives and the Democratic party.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Prev 1 2211 2212 2213 2214 2215 6009 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Railgan 86
Codebar 56
Reynor 23
RotterdaM 0
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 64460
Bisu 3462
FanTaSy 1230
Stork 774
Rush 583
hero 236
Snow 214
firebathero 197
Mind 104
Sharp 80
[ Show more ]
Free 72
Sexy 62
Pusan 56
ToSsGirL 47
Last 39
Trap 37
Bale 29
Mong 27
Hm[arnc] 23
HiyA 19
Rock 18
Terrorterran 16
yabsab 16
Aegong 14
zelot 12
Noble 11
Sacsri 10
scan(afreeca) 9
IntoTheRainbow 8
Shine 7
Dota 2
Gorgc9754
Dendi872
Counter-Strike
fl0m2255
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King90
Other Games
singsing2283
Liquid`RaSZi1392
Beastyqt713
B2W.Neo663
Mlord552
olofmeister468
Khaldor359
Happy323
KnowMe277
Hui .219
crisheroes171
Chillindude65
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV256
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• HeavenSC 31
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FT.aCt)Sony6
• niya90s 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV514
League of Legends
• Nemesis4188
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1344
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
9m
BSL Open Qualifier
4h 9m
BSL Open Qualifier
4h 9m
OSC
8h 9m
Replay Cast
8h 9m
OSC
21h 9m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 20h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.